Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe 17:44 - Apr 15 with 8315 viewssully49

I believe one of the main reasons, for this situation we are currently in, Is us playing in Europe. Our squad was very short in depth, and quality, for us to rotate, consequently our season suffered greatly. I'm not against Europe but it hasn't done us any favors at all. It was at the wrong for us.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Europe on 17:48 - Apr 15 with 3058 viewsC_jack

No proof whatsoever.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europe on 17:52 - Apr 15 with 3044 viewsCooperman

It was at the wrong 'what' for us?
Temperature?
Kick off time?
Continent?
Stadium?
Airport? (I think this was actually true once).

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Europe on 17:56 - Apr 15 with 3034 viewssully49

Europe on 17:52 - Apr 15 by Cooperman

It was at the wrong 'what' for us?
Temperature?
Kick off time?
Continent?
Stadium?
Airport? (I think this was actually true once).

M apologies it was at the wrong time for us.

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 15 with 3029 viewsJackFish

Nah.

Last season we played:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
7 league cup games
(47)

This season:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
1 league cup
12 Europa League
(53)

That's six games more over the course of the season, and two of those were before the league season even started and pretty much just replaced pre-season matches. Likewise only two of them have been in 2014 and our form has been pretty consistent (~1 PPG) since December.

I also don't buy that we didn't have enough depth to compete, we have a much strong squad that last season in most places.
Europe on 18:14 - Apr 15 with 3005 viewssully49

Europe on 17:48 - Apr 15 by C_jack

No proof whatsoever.

You only have to compare last seasons stats to now.

Europe on 18:33 - Apr 15 with 2991 viewsshingle

Most teams like Swansea struggle in Europe, only the bigger teams can handle it, The only small club in recent times did ok was Fulham, the rest struggled big time, we lost that little edge for the prem games whilst fcuking about in Europe, hence we are now in a relegation fight.
Europe on 18:35 - Apr 15 with 2983 viewsCooperman

Europe on 18:33 - Apr 15 by shingle

Most teams like Swansea struggle in Europe, only the bigger teams can handle it, The only small club in recent times did ok was Fulham, the rest struggled big time, we lost that little edge for the prem games whilst fcuking about in Europe, hence we are now in a relegation fight.

A team that sticks in my find that suffered a similar problem was Ipswich a few years back.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Europe on 18:38 - Apr 15 with 2980 viewsC_jack

Europe on 18:14 - Apr 15 by sully49

You only have to compare last seasons stats to now.

What stats? As has been said we played essentially 4 more games this season. The things that have happened this season would have occurred regardless of what competition we were/were not in.

Login to get fewer ads

Europe on 18:42 - Apr 15 with 2967 viewsItchySphincter

Europe was only one of our problems this year but I'd agree we weren't set up properly to cope with it.

We've lost our way and we need to find it sharpish. Getting rid of Laudrup was the start, ridding the club of some of the useless tossers that are his legacy should be next.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Europe on 18:42 - Apr 15 with 2965 viewsC_jack

Europe on 18:33 - Apr 15 by shingle

What do you suggest we should have done to stop 'f**king about in Europe' then?

Europe on 18:51 - Apr 15 with 2950 viewsshingle

Europe on 18:42 - Apr 15 by C_jack

Kept our main team for the Prem games, ok we may not have got out of the group so we would not have played Napoli, big fcuking deal, at least we would be def looking forward to again playing against the elite next season and not in the position we find ourselves in now.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 18:51]
N/A. on 18:52 - Apr 15 with 2938 viewsHuw57

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 15 by JackFish

Nah.

Last season we played:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
7 league cup games
(47)

This season:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
1 league cup
12 Europa League
(53)

That's six games more over the course of the season, and two of those were before the league season even started and pretty much just replaced pre-season matches. Likewise only two of them have been in 2014 and our form has been pretty consistent (~1 PPG) since December.

I also don't buy that we didn't have enough depth to compete, we have a much strong squad that last season in most places.

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:19]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Europe on 19:01 - Apr 15 with 2904 viewsC_jack

Europe on 18:51 - Apr 15 by shingle

Kept our main team for the Prem games, ok we may not have got out of the group so we would not have played Napoli, big fcuking deal, at least we would be def looking forward to again playing against the elite next season and not in the position we find ourselves in now.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 18:51]

So, you're telling me, that our main team would just be willing to sit on the side and watch the reserves play the likes of Valencia and St Gallen. Hmm.

I never gave much to the phrase 'football literate', but it's growing on me.

Europe on 19:04 - Apr 15 with 2898 viewsIAN05

Europe on 18:42 - Apr 15 by C_jack

Its one of many contributing factors. We should definitely have built a better squad to cope with it. The squad looked small from the outset and that was before we learned that some of our players were not as good as we thought.
N/A. on 19:05 - Apr 15 with 2889 viewsHuw57

Europe on 19:04 - Apr 15 by IAN05

Its one of many contributing factors. We should definitely have built a better squad to cope with it. The squad looked small from the outset and that was before we learned that some of our players were not as good as we thought.

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:20]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Europe on 19:10 - Apr 15 with 2866 viewshammy

Europe on 19:04 - Apr 15 by IAN05

Also been plagued by injuries to key players for significant periods of the season, which we did not experience so much in the past 2 seasons. It really is a combination of factors this season and if we can scrap our way out of the relegation battle then we'll hopefully have learnt a lot of lessons for next season !

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Europe on 19:19 - Apr 15 with 2850 viewsIAN05

N/A. on 19:05 - Apr 15 by Huw57

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:20]

That may be the case ( we should be grateful as we would have ended up with Aspas if he did). Pozuelo, Tiendalli and Canas were first choices. Clubs like us never get the first choice targets, you have to have more in your locker and work down your list or use the loan market to your advantage. We ended up with Vasquez, JDG and Lamah on loan, you cannot tell me that there were no better players out there than that.
Europe on 19:20 - Apr 15 with 2850 viewswaynekerr55

I'm cracking open the here

The players were flogged to death in pre season. The blame for injuries lies solely at the feet of Oscar Garcia, with his "flog em to death regime"

Diababa summed it up "with increased games, don't you think with same training injuries are to be expected". Yes - so to combat that you reduce training volume and or time to reflect the extra games.

See more from Jan Ekstrand on Twitter. Evidence is overwhelming "coaches are responsible for the majority of muscle injuries"

*ducks for cover and waits for numerous v arrows

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Europe on 19:23 - Apr 15 with 2843 viewsUxbridge

Just think how bad it'll be next year when we qualify through Fair Play ...

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Europe on 19:24 - Apr 15 with 2843 viewsDrizzy

It certainly had an effect and you'd be ignorant to think otherwise. It affected Newcastle, it affected Stoke and it affected us. Certainly not the main reason for our poor form but it was definitely a significant contributor.

P*ssing myself going back to the threads before the season when we thought it wouldn't affect us. Complete and utter arrogance that's been quite a recurring theme with this club recently.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Europe on 19:46 - Apr 15 with 2823 viewswaynekerr55

Europe on 19:24 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

It certainly had an effect and you'd be ignorant to think otherwise. It affected Newcastle, it affected Stoke and it affected us. Certainly not the main reason for our poor form but it was definitely a significant contributor.

P*ssing myself going back to the threads before the season when we thought it wouldn't affect us. Complete and utter arrogance that's been quite a recurring theme with this club recently.

Arrogance blinds people - spot on driz

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Europe on 19:53 - Apr 15 with 2812 viewsC_jack

What effect then? Please try avoid the pitfalls of 'travelling' or 'small squad'.

It hasn't really affected Wigan, and they've had a long run in the FA Cup as well.

Europe on 21:15 - Apr 15 with 2748 viewsItchySphincter

You could be kind and swap out arrogance for naivety?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Europe on 21:36 - Apr 15 with 2732 viewsJackFish

Europe on 19:23 - Apr 15 by Uxbridge

Just think how bad it'll be next year when we qualify through Fair Play ...

Oh THAT's why Chico's getting himself sent off every other week.
Europe on 21:51 - Apr 15 with 2720 viewsLeonisGod

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 15 by JackFish

Nah.

Last season we played:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
7 league cup games
(47)

This season:
38 prem games
2 FA cup games
1 league cup
12 Europa League
(53)

Indeed. And we played more in the Championship. And a few of those Chelski players on Sunday have been wracking up 50+ games in a season in recent years.

I don't think it the number of games, more a lack of focus to get 'up' for the games that are perceived as smaller.

Although a shocking fitness regime didn't help.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024