Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe 17:44 - Apr 15 with 8314 viewssully49

I believe one of the main reasons, for this situation we are currently in, Is us playing in Europe. Our squad was very short in depth, and quality, for us to rotate, consequently our season suffered greatly. I'm not against Europe but it hasn't done us any favors at all. It was at the wrong for us.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Europe on 23:09 - Apr 15 with 1127 viewsDrizzy

Europe on 19:53 - Apr 15 by C_jack

What effect then? Please try avoid the pitfalls of 'travelling' or 'small squad'.

It hasn't really affected Wigan, and they've had a long run in the FA Cup as well.

Dunno mate. Maybe something to do with playing grueling games of football thousands of miles away on a Thursday evening then having two days to recover before a Premier League game on Sunday afternoon. Playing on Monday nights against Hull and Liverpool before having to travel to Valencia and St. Gallen on the Thursday. Cumulative fatigue and all that. Less time for physical and tactical preparations. We're not Chelsea or Man City where we can win games without getting out of second gear because of the talent in our team, we have to scrap for every bloody point in this league. It was fun and I'm sure most fans would do it again but it took a hell of a lot out of the players.

Wayneker will be able to explain it far better than me, but when our training regime is apparently so flawed, being in the Europa League was a significant factor in the large increase in soft tissue injuries we had this season. Something about how our training sessions were never adjusted to account for the larger volume of games we faced this season.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Europe on 23:45 - Apr 15 with 1108 viewsDrizzy

Also C_Jack it's funny that you mention Wigan. Here's a bit of information you might be interested in:

Wigan (while in Europa League)

P: 19
W: 7
D: 4
L: 8
Points per game: 1.32
Position: 14th

Wigan (after being eliminated from the Europa League)

P: 22
W: 12
D: 6
L: 4
Points per game: 1.91
Position: 5th

No effect.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Europe on 23:51 - Apr 15 with 1103 viewsDarran

Winning the Milk Cup in our centenary season was prestigious enough on it's own for a club the size of Swansea City without European qualification on top of it.

In my opinion of course.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Europe on 00:04 - Apr 16 with 1092 viewsTNT

Europe on 23:51 - Apr 15 by Darran

Winning the Milk Cup in our centenary season was prestigious enough on it's own for a club the size of Swansea City without European qualification on top of it.

In my opinion of course.

It isn't long ago that we couldn't progress in The Welsh Cup, due to a bobbly pitch somewhere in North Wales Darr.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Europe on 00:11 - Apr 16 with 1088 viewsScoobyWho

Bottle and too many players on the gravy train is the reason.
Not enough fight in the squad and too many players out of touch with reality is another reason.

Disgrace the majority of em.

Very few come out of this situation with any grace, if they had proper jobs they would all be sacked.

Not one one of them, including the so called legends haven't a fking clue about a days graft.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 0:13]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Europe on 00:15 - Apr 16 with 1080 viewsLiberty

Europe has been brilliant and given memories for life.

Injuries have not helped this year, few other factors, but not too many games.

Its been an enjoyable , rollercoaster 12 months, been through alot worse, multiply that by 100.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 0:31]

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Europe on 00:27 - Apr 16 with 1068 viewsTNT

Europe on 00:11 - Apr 16 by ScoobyWho

Not enough fight in the squad and too many players out of touch with reality is another reason.

Very few come out of this situation with any grace, if they had proper jobs they would all be sacked.

Not one one of them, including the so called legends haven't a fking clue about a days graft.

That's true of every club in The Premier League I guess, and we're now part of it.

Maybe a PL club should have its players shadow a regular fan for a week during close season to reinforce a sense of reality.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Europe on 00:34 - Apr 16 with 1060 viewsLiberty

Europe on 00:11 - Apr 16 by ScoobyWho

I assume you are a Cardiff fan on a wind up, if this makes you happy carry on, you sad man.

Login to get fewer ads

Europe on 01:05 - Apr 16 with 1051 viewsSpratty

Europe on 19:19 - Apr 15 by IAN05

That may be the case ( we should be grateful as we would have ended up with Aspas if he did). Pozuelo, Tiendalli and Canas were first choices. Clubs like us never get the first choice targets, you have to have more in your locker and work down your list or use the loan market to your advantage. We ended up with Vasquez, JDG and Lamah on loan, you cannot tell me that there were no better players out there than that.

Aspas may have worked out entirely differently with our team, we will never know.

Bony found it hard to integrate into our team initially as his more static style did not work to best effect within our style. This was added to by his lack of preseason. However as his mobility increased and the other players adjusted he has become an outstanding player for us.

Interesting article here from Aspas http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/exclusive-full-interview-liverpool-striker-iago-aspas-1 including problems of lack of game time (unsurprising given Suarez and Sturridge on fire) and being played out of postion (similar to Borini and many of us would like him back). So difficult to assess how he would have worked if played in his favoured position. His style of play would have certainly fitted more easily into our team from the outset. My concerns were he saw himself bigger than our team.

JDG is a good player, Lamah varies. Vasquez has a good pedigree for Spain at under 20 and 21 where he seemed to have no trouble scoring. I am sure Laudrup would have preferred his first choices but as you move down your list the signings must become more speculative.
Europe on 01:40 - Apr 16 with 1042 viewsScoobyWho

Europe on 00:34 - Apr 16 by Liberty

I assume you are a Cardiff fan on a wind up, if this makes you happy carry on, you sad man.

Oh dear, you see this as an insult to you ?
So you slag me off because i tell a bit of home truth ?
What a shame, keep the blinkers firmly set on your own views, you will get through the day ok.

Btw - calling me a Cardiff fan just makes you a Michu.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 1:48]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Europe on 02:11 - Apr 16 with 1030 viewsLiberty

Europe on 01:40 - Apr 16 by ScoobyWho

Oh dear, you see this as an insult to you ?
So you slag me off because i tell a bit of home truth ?
What a shame, keep the blinkers firmly set on your own views, you will get through the day ok.

Btw - calling me a Cardiff fan just makes you a Michu.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 1:48]

You calling our players a disgrace and Michu a c u n t, sober up please b4 u make yourself look more of a t w a t.

Europe on 02:27 - Apr 16 with 1028 viewsGlyn1

Let's take a look at the matches that we played after each of the Europa League ties.

Wins:
West Brom (Away)
Palace (Away)

Draws
West Ham (Home)
Stoke (Home)
Norwich (Away)
Palace (Home)

Losses
Man Utd (Home)
Spurs (Away)
Southampton (Away)
Man City (Away)

So we picked up 10 points from 10 games, which isn't spectacular but not a disaster either. We seem to have done worse in the last few weeks once we were out of the Europa Cup.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 2:31]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Europe on 02:33 - Apr 16 with 1026 viewsGlyn1

Europe on 19:23 - Apr 15 by Uxbridge

Just think how bad it'll be next year when we qualify through Fair Play ...

I've deleted this post of mine - just realised that Jackfish said the same thing as me earlier on and better.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 2:36]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Europe on 05:12 - Apr 16 with 1012 viewsCooperman

Europe on 02:27 - Apr 16 by Glyn1

Let's take a look at the matches that we played after each of the Europa League ties.

Wins:
West Brom (Away)
Palace (Away)

Draws
West Ham (Home)
Stoke (Home)
Norwich (Away)
Palace (Home)

Losses
Man Utd (Home)
Spurs (Away)
Southampton (Away)
Man City (Away)

So we picked up 10 points from 10 games, which isn't spectacular but not a disaster either. We seem to have done worse in the last few weeks once we were out of the Europa Cup.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 2:31]

I'm reasonably confident that we would have won the WHU, Palarse, and Stoke games if we had not played on the proceeding Thursday evening.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Europe on 11:09 - Apr 16 with 976 viewsshingle

Europe on 19:01 - Apr 15 by C_jack

So, you're telling me, that our main team would just be willing to sit on the side and watch the reserves play the likes of Valencia and St Gallen. Hmm.

I never gave much to the phrase 'football literate', but it's growing on me.

Well Roger`s did it with a struggling Liverpool last season, Pulis did it with Stoke, two very good manager`s there surely you agree, can you not see that over the years it`s a proven fact clubs like us find it hard to cope in Europe and compete in the Prem, our main priority should be staying in the Prem to risk overplaying our best players when it`s hard enough just competing in the Prem is crazy, if you are unable to grasp what i`m saying then there is just no hope for you.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 11:10]
Europe on 11:20 - Apr 16 with 957 viewsshingle

Europe on 05:12 - Apr 16 by Cooperman

I'm reasonably confident that we would have won the WHU, Palarse, and Stoke games if we had not played on the proceeding Thursday evening.

Agree, for us to compete and survive in what is reguarded the toughest league in the world we need our best players fresh and firing on all cylinders, lets be honest what good did playing our best players in Europe do us, we scraped through to the last 32 and in the process made next to nothing money wise, what a complete and utter waste of time, we should have put our second string in from the start and we would now be looking forward to top flight football next season instead of the relegation fight we now find our selves in.
Europe on 11:24 - Apr 16 with 953 viewsshingle

Europe on 00:15 - Apr 16 by Liberty

Europe has been brilliant and given memories for life.

Injuries have not helped this year, few other factors, but not too many games.

Its been an enjoyable , rollercoaster 12 months, been through alot worse, multiply that by 100.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 0:31]

You would have still been able to see your team play in Europe with a second string outfit, ok we may not have got out of the group so you would have had one less trip for fcuk sake mun.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 11:25]
Europe on 11:39 - Apr 16 with 946 viewsIAN05

Europe on 01:05 - Apr 16 by Spratty

Aspas may have worked out entirely differently with our team, we will never know.

Bony found it hard to integrate into our team initially as his more static style did not work to best effect within our style. This was added to by his lack of preseason. However as his mobility increased and the other players adjusted he has become an outstanding player for us.

Interesting article here from Aspas http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/exclusive-full-interview-liverpool-striker-iago-aspas-1 including problems of lack of game time (unsurprising given Suarez and Sturridge on fire) and being played out of postion (similar to Borini and many of us would like him back). So difficult to assess how he would have worked if played in his favoured position. His style of play would have certainly fitted more easily into our team from the outset. My concerns were he saw himself bigger than our team.

JDG is a good player, Lamah varies. Vasquez has a good pedigree for Spain at under 20 and 21 where he seemed to have no trouble scoring. I am sure Laudrup would have preferred his first choices but as you move down your list the signings must become more speculative.

Aspas never looked great in Spain, hence why so many Swans fans didn't want us to spend big money on him. Yes, his goal record was decent, but was never the type of player we needed.

Bonys impact could have been better, earlier, had the manager played him more and communicated better. Read his interviews, he states hr had no idea what was wanted from him, why he wasn't selected etc. That is not never great for a new player in a new country.

Make bi mistake, Lamah is nowhere near good enough. Was poor in Spain and Laudrup realised pretty early on that he was poor and hence never played him. JDG is quality, but needs physical players around him, he's not one you can build your midfield around. Every Swans fan I know expected Vasquez to fail from the moment he signed. His record at competitive league level was woeful. You only had to watch footage of him to realise he didn't have the game for a lone striker role in a physically demanding league. Surely Laudrup should have learned from the Schecter situation. Luke Moore was a better option than both, but played second fiddle to Schecter many times and was released and replaced by Vasquez.

Not convinced by the not getting first choice players in majority of cases. Amat, Canas and Pozuelo particularly were chased from a very early stage.
Europe on 12:18 - Apr 16 with 930 viewsSpratty

Europe on 11:39 - Apr 16 by IAN05

Aspas never looked great in Spain, hence why so many Swans fans didn't want us to spend big money on him. Yes, his goal record was decent, but was never the type of player we needed.

Bonys impact could have been better, earlier, had the manager played him more and communicated better. Read his interviews, he states hr had no idea what was wanted from him, why he wasn't selected etc. That is not never great for a new player in a new country.

Make bi mistake, Lamah is nowhere near good enough. Was poor in Spain and Laudrup realised pretty early on that he was poor and hence never played him. JDG is quality, but needs physical players around him, he's not one you can build your midfield around. Every Swans fan I know expected Vasquez to fail from the moment he signed. His record at competitive league level was woeful. You only had to watch footage of him to realise he didn't have the game for a lone striker role in a physically demanding league. Surely Laudrup should have learned from the Schecter situation. Luke Moore was a better option than both, but played second fiddle to Schecter many times and was released and replaced by Vasquez.

Not convinced by the not getting first choice players in majority of cases. Amat, Canas and Pozuelo particularly were chased from a very early stage.

Interesting Bren darling of the PL was so keen to get Aspas then, when any old fan could have told him he was Sh1te! Perhaps you need to send your CV to Liverpool.

Yet Bony calls ML a good coach. I have read his interview and he recognised his own shortcomings and addressed them. As I say he played every game he was fit.

Do we accept mediocre or strive for better. It is not always going to come off even with unlimited budget.

Amat Canas and Poz all good to excellent aquisitions and bargain basement. But that obviously did not meet the full requirement.
Europe on 12:20 - Apr 16 with 924 viewsIAN05

Europe on 12:18 - Apr 16 by Spratty

Interesting Bren darling of the PL was so keen to get Aspas then, when any old fan could have told him he was Sh1te! Perhaps you need to send your CV to Liverpool.

Yet Bony calls ML a good coach. I have read his interview and he recognised his own shortcomings and addressed them. As I say he played every game he was fit.

Do we accept mediocre or strive for better. It is not always going to come off even with unlimited budget.

Amat Canas and Poz all good to excellent aquisitions and bargain basement. But that obviously did not meet the full requirement.

Good to excellent ? That will be why they have all struggled to hold down a place and we are fighting relegation.
Europe on 12:34 - Apr 16 with 911 viewsSpratty

Europe on 11:09 - Apr 16 by shingle

Well Roger`s did it with a struggling Liverpool last season, Pulis did it with Stoke, two very good manager`s there surely you agree, can you not see that over the years it`s a proven fact clubs like us find it hard to cope in Europe and compete in the Prem, our main priority should be staying in the Prem to risk overplaying our best players when it`s hard enough just competing in the Prem is crazy, if you are unable to grasp what i`m saying then there is just no hope for you.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 11:10]

Yes Liverpool did have their worst start in 100 years.

Interestingly once Liverpool caught up, us, WBA and Liverpool were all vying for 7th,8th 9th for a long time last year

Liverpool only started pulling away in March after being knocked out of the Europa in late Feb at the same stage as us. Unfortunately for them too late to catch Everton so still finished 7th. However already having one of the worlds best strikers and signing Sturridge in Jan may have helped.
Europe on 12:54 - Apr 16 with 898 viewsSpratty

Europe on 12:20 - Apr 16 by IAN05

Good to excellent ? That will be why they have all struggled to hold down a place and we are fighting relegation.

So you are saying they were not good to excellent aquisitions given their potential / cost.

Eveyone thought Amat was excellent in our last game and happy to have him in that place.

Poz an excellent, direct, energetic impact sub still with the second highest assists in the team, despite Monk mysteriously totally dropping him like a ton of bricks. and never having played him in the PL nor I think on the bench.

Canas has fitted in very well alongside Leon - great attitude and good player for us and developing well.

Have to ask Monk why they are struggling to hold down a place!!!!!!!!!

Or perhaps our DOF. At the same time ask him about Ngog and Emnes.

We are in a relegation scrap because our current rookie manager cannot even achieve the average PL points per game that our previous manager achieved with massive Key injuries, 50% more fixture density whilst keeping us in Europe and the FA Cup and more difficult games. In fact against like for like fixtures last year Monk is only achieving 60% of the PL points whilst Laudrup was achieving 96%
Europe on 13:27 - Apr 16 with 888 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Europe on 12:54 - Apr 16 by Spratty

So you are saying they were not good to excellent aquisitions given their potential / cost.

Eveyone thought Amat was excellent in our last game and happy to have him in that place.

Poz an excellent, direct, energetic impact sub still with the second highest assists in the team, despite Monk mysteriously totally dropping him like a ton of bricks. and never having played him in the PL nor I think on the bench.

Canas has fitted in very well alongside Leon - great attitude and good player for us and developing well.

We are in a relegation scrap because our current rookie manager cannot even achieve the average PL points per game that our previous manager achieved with massive Key injuries, 50% more fixture density whilst keeping us in Europe and the FA Cup and more difficult games. In fact against like for like fixtures last year Monk is only achieving 60% of the PL points whilst Laudrup was achieving 96%

You keep banging on about Like For Like Game Points and our league position under ML.
What you seem to have completely forgotten is that those other teams we played recently have actually got better due to buying new players in January and getting new managers.
They haven't just taken points off of us, they have also taken points off of the top sides as well, much to everyone's surprise.
As to being 12th when GM took over you are also forgetting that we were only 4 points from the Relegation Zone and 7 points from the bottom.
Until last week we were 6 points from the RZ and 8 from bottom, now after that weekend loss and other clubs winning we are 3 from the RZ and still 8 from bottom.
Europe on 13:57 - Apr 16 with 870 viewsIAN05

Europe on 12:54 - Apr 16 by Spratty

Of course they are not Good to Excellent additions. The three of them have struggled to make first team league starts all season. Yes, Amat played well on Sunday, but that doesn't justify the Good to Excellent tag. Pozuelo has definitely shown glimpses but apart from the United away game in the FA Cup he has been damn awful since around November, constantly giving the ball away and weak in the tackle.

I would actually rate Pozuelo as disappointing after much promise. Canas, decent in parts but terrible in others and Amat, showing signs of Potential that he may dislodge the Chico/ Williams partnership in time
Europe on 14:14 - Apr 16 with 862 viewsSpratty

Europe on 13:57 - Apr 16 by IAN05

Of course they are not Good to Excellent additions. The three of them have struggled to make first team league starts all season. Yes, Amat played well on Sunday, but that doesn't justify the Good to Excellent tag. Pozuelo has definitely shown glimpses but apart from the United away game in the FA Cup he has been damn awful since around November, constantly giving the ball away and weak in the tackle.

I would actually rate Pozuelo as disappointing after much promise. Canas, decent in parts but terrible in others and Amat, showing signs of Potential that he may dislodge the Chico/ Williams partnership in time

As I say send your CV to Liverpool

But after that analysis of 3 promising players recruited for next to nothing, if I received it I would file it under delusional, still maybe that's what it takes to be a manager today

p.s. some glimpses from Poz hey given he has the second highest assists of all the players despite his limited appearences.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 14:15]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024