Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe 17:44 - Apr 15 with 8590 viewssully49

I believe one of the main reasons, for this situation we are currently in, Is us playing in Europe. Our squad was very short in depth, and quality, for us to rotate, consequently our season suffered greatly. I'm not against Europe but it hasn't done us any favors at all. It was at the wrong for us.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Europe on 14:16 - Apr 16 with 931 viewsGlyn1

Europe on 05:12 - Apr 16 by Cooperman

I'm reasonably confident that we would have won the WHU, Palarse, and Stoke games if we had not played on the proceeding Thursday evening.

So you and Shingle are saying that all the hassle of being in the Europa Cup probably cost us 6 points in the league.

That sounds about right, but I'd still take a 6 point handicap for the pleasure of seeing us outplay Valencia and Napoli which we may never do again.

If it was a choice between boring mid-table mediocrity like Stoke, West Ham, Newcastle currently have; or great European memories plus a small risk of relegation, then I'd gladly take the second option.

We've had 7 games since leaving the Europa Cup, and we've got only 5 points from them, and we can't blame the Europa for that.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Europe on 14:25 - Apr 16 with 923 viewsSpratty

Europe on 13:27 - Apr 16 by A_Fans_Dad

You keep banging on about Like For Like Game Points and our league position under ML.
What you seem to have completely forgotten is that those other teams we played recently have actually got better due to buying new players in January and getting new managers.
They haven't just taken points off of us, they have also taken points off of the top sides as well, much to everyone's surprise.
As to being 12th when GM took over you are also forgetting that we were only 4 points from the Relegation Zone and 7 points from the bottom.
Until last week we were 6 points from the RZ and 8 from bottom, now after that weekend loss and other clubs winning we are 3 from the RZ and still 8 from bottom.

"You keep banging on about Like For Like Game Points and our league position under ML"

"As to being 12th when GM took over you are also forgetting"

Ha my memory must really be going because I cannot even remember mentioning our league position let alone subsequently deleting it from my unedited post!

Oh wait NO I DIDN'T

Oh yes teams get better and worse all the time and fight more for survival, not us though hey.

Perhaps we should give Garry a chance and add a rookie weighting say an additional 50% to his like for like PL points achievement. Oh no still well below ML despite the massive key injuries, 50% higher fixture density and keeping us in Europe and the FA Cup.

If you prefer to compare end of season games here is my like for like analysis last 11 this year to last 11 last year - You know when ML lost interest and had nothing to fight for v Garry fighting to keep us up.

Summary if Garry can only gain the same points from the last 11, that disinterested / relegation form Laudrup did last year (in a period when we incidentally played all top 5 teams in 11 games ) Then he will be hailed the saviour and bunged 1/2 a mill for nearly taking Laudrup's team down and gaining some mega top class highly paid work experience.

That is disregarding the fact that on game difficuty Garry should actuallly be getting an extra 4-6 points.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“We played far fewer games last season, yet performances and results were still poor after the CCC final.”

In the last 11 games after the COC we had a higher win ratio than Garry has achieved so far. We only achieved 9 points out of 11 games however. But the games were much more difficult, compare:

Last Year — last 11 (post COC games)
All top 5 teams played.
Only 1 game (which we won) was against the bottom 6

This Year — last 11 (also March on)
3 top 5 teams (only I of those against top 3)
3 games are against the bottom 6

The mid level games cancel each other in terms of position played. This leaves comparing playing the 1st and 3rd position teams last year to the 16th and 20th position teams this year.

Playing at a reasonable mid, lower/mid table standard we should be getting wins against the bottom 5 and lucky to get a point from 2 top 3 games. Therefore this decrease in difficulty in the last 11 from last year to this should be worth an extra 4-6 points.

This would change our 9 points in the last 11 last year to a minimum of 13 points — and give comfortable PL finish form (regardless of the poor loss to Fulham and the point denied at WBA from the goal incorrectly disallowed).
However despite this Laudrup is blamed for losing interest last year and for relegation performance

Yet if monk replicates this year the points earned in the last 11 last year (even without the extra 4-6 points he should be getting from the much easier games), he will be hailed the messiah for keeping us up.

Of course this shows the weakness of taking base points per game rather than factoring in the difficulty of the team.

Positionally we were also very stable last year. Amazingly we never dropped below 11th but in fact our position was most stable from Jan when we never dropped below 9th. if not denied our good goal at WBA away we would have finished 8th. Of course the last game of the season was a very disappointing end to a brilliant season. We were in a post Cup win period which is well recognised for a drop in performance especially when position is safe and consistent and there is little to be achieved (Liverpool too far ahead with Suarez firing).

"So I don't think you can explain away the drop in quality of football solely by the number of games we've had to play “

well besides the stats behind your argument being massively incorrect such that for the relevant period it was not less but over 40% more fixtures; and me explaining that it was not just the number of fixtures but the density of them. I certainly was not only trying to explain the drop in quality by the 50% higher fixture density (compared with that currently) as major an effect that in itself would have on fitness and preparation time. My other main point which you have totally omitted to take into consideration was THE MASSIVE KEY INJURIES OVER MONTHS. As I said:

“What is hard to understand that we are not going to always play sparkling football with 50% more fixtures and massive key injuries (up to 6 1st pick players and both Bony and Michu for one period). What logic exists comparing that with a fully fit team and much more time between games”

As I have said before in the circumstances it was a damn near miracle that not only was ML coping with this and managing to keep us in Europe and the FA Cup but he was also well on track to keep us up achieving 96% of PL points from like for like fixtures - which would have given us a strong mid table finish.

However with the added benefit of a fully fit team and less fixtures I would have expected us to equal or exceed last season’s points, giving us the possibility to finish top half. Worst case scenario the chances of relegation were negligible and have increased under GM — given the poor results in the easiest home games (for comparison Garry achieving PL points at less than 65% of last years like for like games).

There was no way we were going down under ML and even given the lost points against the easier teams I still have a good degree of confidence that we will stay up (even though scraping through will be a very poor result for our team quality).

Let’s not forget we also still played some lovely football under ML despite the circumstances. Although the West Ham game was poor, they had manager of the month beating every team by 2 goals in Feb including Southampton. They only conceded 1 goal all month and had already held Chelsea away 0-0 the game before ours. I also dread to think what was going on behind the scenes at that time. The lowest point for me was losing to West Brom at home when they were in such massively poor form. Especially as they are a team we have played some of our most beautiful football against.
Europe on 14:33 - Apr 16 with 916 viewsItchySphincter

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Europe on 15:19 - Apr 16 with 895 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Wow that hit a nerve.
In those games last year we only managed to score a measly 9 goals and yet we got 2 Wins ( Newcastle and poor old Wigan), 3 draws ( 2 of them 0-0) and 6 losses (including getting thumped 3-0 by Fulham), we let in 17 goals.
This year in the last 11 games we have scored 16 goals and yet they have only netted 2 wins, 3 draws and 6 losses, and guess what we have let in 17 goals.
We have obviously played a lot worse this year, by scoring 7 more goals.
Aren't Football statistics weird.
Europe on 17:20 - Apr 16 with 875 viewsSpratty

Europe on 15:19 - Apr 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Wow that hit a nerve.
In those games last year we only managed to score a measly 9 goals and yet we got 2 Wins ( Newcastle and poor old Wigan), 3 draws ( 2 of them 0-0) and 6 losses (including getting thumped 3-0 by Fulham), we let in 17 goals.
This year in the last 11 games we have scored 16 goals and yet they have only netted 2 wins, 3 draws and 6 losses, and guess what we have let in 17 goals.
We have obviously played a lot worse this year, by scoring 7 more goals.
Aren't Football statistics weird.

You basing a whole reply to my post on something I had never even mentioned hit a nerve - yep that'd be it, if you count p1ssing myself laughing.

I imagine when the PL is based on the number of goals scored regardless of those conceeded, then ML will change his approach and GM and his committee will be considered ahead of the game regardless of the comparative crapness of the oppo.

Until then I will stick to solid and meaningful statistics which reflect normal measures of success and you can carry on counting the grass.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 17:20]
Europe on 17:41 - Apr 16 with 865 viewsC_jack

Europe on 23:09 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

Dunno mate. Maybe something to do with playing grueling games of football thousands of miles away on a Thursday evening then having two days to recover before a Premier League game on Sunday afternoon. Playing on Monday nights against Hull and Liverpool before having to travel to Valencia and St. Gallen on the Thursday. Cumulative fatigue and all that. Less time for physical and tactical preparations. We're not Chelsea or Man City where we can win games without getting out of second gear because of the talent in our team, we have to scrap for every bloody point in this league. It was fun and I'm sure most fans would do it again but it took a hell of a lot out of the players.

Wayneker will be able to explain it far better than me, but when our training regime is apparently so flawed, being in the Europa League was a significant factor in the large increase in soft tissue injuries we had this season. Something about how our training sessions were never adjusted to account for the larger volume of games we faced this season.

So you're blaming travelling? I agree around 2 hours on a plane to Spain and Switzerland is gruelling, they could spend more time on a bus to Hull. Interesting that we won against Palace after playing Valencia away, and drew against Norwich and Stoke after our corresponding away fixtures. Undefeated after playing those gruelling games thousands of miles away!

What physical preparations can we make in the week of a game then? Any inadequacy in training is down to poor management, not the competition. You can't blame the Europa League because we we didn't prepare accordingly, the management was fully aware that the club was in the competition.

I don't know the intricacies of our training sessions, but I'd be shocked if we were training anywhere near the volume of last season, Ash said himself at the start of the season, 'Players prefer to play more, and train less'. It's a balance, you don't lose fitness if you don't train on Mondays. I agree if it's not right then it can be problematic, but again, that's poor management, not the fault of being in the competition.

I'm not entirely sure how tactical preparation fits in with anything. I don't think we can use the excuse of the Europa League for poor tactical preparation throughout the season.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europe on 17:51 - Apr 16 with 862 viewsC_jack

Europe on 23:45 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

Also C_Jack it's funny that you mention Wigan. Here's a bit of information you might be interested in:

Wigan (while in Europa League)

P: 19
W: 7
D: 4
L: 8
Points per game: 1.32
Position: 14th

Wigan (after being eliminated from the Europa League)

P: 22
W: 12
D: 6
L: 4
Points per game: 1.91
Position: 5th

No effect.

So Wigan Athletic are 6th and going for promotion, so explain to me how the Europa League has affected their season? I'm positive Wigan's target for this season was to gain promotion? unless you know any different?

If it had a negative effect on their season, would they not be struggling near the bottom? and not where they planned to be?

I like your attempt to twist the facts there, Wigan have had a great run in the FA Cup, so in effect, they never stopped playing extra games after exiting the Europa League, did they? Extra games that included gruelling games 10's of miles away to Man City.

So I ask again, where's the effect on their season, if they are on track?

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 16 with 856 viewscontroversial_jack

We are back to full strength now, playing no more extra games and yet we still aren't picking up points.Europe, no excuse
Login to get fewer ads

Europe on 18:09 - Apr 16 with 846 viewsshingle

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 16 by controversial_jack

We are back to full strength now, playing no more extra games and yet we still aren't picking up points.Europe, no excuse

The damage has already been done mun, fcuking hell this is an hopeless task, how dumb are some of these headers on here.
Europe on 18:18 - Apr 16 with 838 viewsshingle

Europe on 14:16 - Apr 16 by Glyn1

So you and Shingle are saying that all the hassle of being in the Europa Cup probably cost us 6 points in the league.

That sounds about right, but I'd still take a 6 point handicap for the pleasure of seeing us outplay Valencia and Napoli which we may never do again.

If it was a choice between boring mid-table mediocrity like Stoke, West Ham, Newcastle currently have; or great European memories plus a small risk of relegation, then I'd gladly take the second option.

We've had 7 games since leaving the Europa Cup, and we've got only 5 points from them, and we can't blame the Europa for that.

But those six points may be the difference between staying up or getting relegated, as for outplaying Valencia they beat us once they sorted themselves out and are still in the Europa, and Napoli beat us and knocked as out we could not even get any futher than the last 32 in Europe`s second tier cup, for gods sake man sort your head out.
Europe on 18:27 - Apr 16 with 824 viewsC_jack

Shingles team to play Valencia away:

Cornell
Situ
Alfei
Richards
Obeng
Gorre
March
Lucas
Fulton
Vasquez
Loveridge

Oldjack on the bench.

Europe on 18:35 - Apr 16 with 814 viewsIAN05

Europe on 14:25 - Apr 16 by Spratty

"You keep banging on about Like For Like Game Points and our league position under ML"

Ha my memory must really be going because I cannot even remember mentioning our league position let alone subsequently deleting it from my unedited post!

Oh wait NO I DIDN'T

Oh yes teams get better and worse all the time and fight more for survival, not us though hey.

Perhaps we should give Garry a chance and add a rookie weighting say an additional 50% to his like for like PL points achievement. Oh no still well below ML despite the massive key injuries, 50% higher fixture density and keeping us in Europe and the FA Cup.

If you prefer to compare end of season games here is my like for like analysis last 11 this year to last 11 last year - You know when ML lost interest and had nothing to fight for v Garry fighting to keep us up.

Summary if Garry can only gain the same points from the last 11, that disinterested / relegation form Laudrup did last year (in a period when we incidentally played all top 5 teams in 11 games ) Then he will be hailed the saviour and bunged 1/2 a mill for nearly taking Laudrup's team down and gaining some mega top class highly paid work experience.

That is disregarding the fact that on game difficuty Garry should actuallly be getting an extra 4-6 points.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“We played far fewer games last season, yet performances and results were still poor after the CCC final.”

In the last 11 games after the COC we had a higher win ratio than Garry has achieved so far. We only achieved 9 points out of 11 games however. But the games were much more difficult, compare:

All top 5 teams played.

The mid level games cancel each other in terms of position played. This leaves comparing playing the 1st and 3rd position teams last year to the 16th and 20th position teams this year.

Playing at a reasonable mid, lower/mid table standard we should be getting wins against the bottom 5 and lucky to get a point from 2 top 3 games. Therefore this decrease in difficulty in the last 11 from last year to this should be worth an extra 4-6 points.

This would change our 9 points in the last 11 last year to a minimum of 13 points — and give comfortable PL finish form (regardless of the poor loss to Fulham and the point denied at WBA from the goal incorrectly disallowed).
However despite this Laudrup is blamed for losing interest last year and for relegation performance

Yet if monk replicates this year the points earned in the last 11 last year (even without the extra 4-6 points he should be getting from the much easier games), he will be hailed the messiah for keeping us up.

Of course this shows the weakness of taking base points per game rather than factoring in the difficulty of the team.

Positionally we were also very stable last year. Amazingly we never dropped below 11th but in fact our position was most stable from Jan when we never dropped below 9th. if not denied our good goal at WBA away we would have finished 8th. Of course the last game of the season was a very disappointing end to a brilliant season. We were in a post Cup win period which is well recognised for a drop in performance especially when position is safe and consistent and there is little to be achieved (Liverpool too far ahead with Suarez firing).

"So I don't think you can explain away the drop in quality of football solely by the number of games we've had to play “

well besides the stats behind your argument being massively incorrect such that for the relevant period it was not less but over 40% more fixtures; and me explaining that it was not just the number of fixtures but the density of them. I certainly was not only trying to explain the drop in quality by the 50% higher fixture density (compared with that currently) as major an effect that in itself would have on fitness and preparation time. My other main point which you have totally omitted to take into consideration was THE MASSIVE KEY INJURIES OVER MONTHS. As I said:

“What is hard to understand that we are not going to always play sparkling football with 50% more fixtures and massive key injuries (up to 6 1st pick players and both Bony and Michu for one period). What logic exists comparing that with a fully fit team and much more time between games”

As I have said before in the circumstances it was a damn near miracle that not only was ML coping with this and managing to keep us in Europe and the FA Cup but he was also well on track to keep us up achieving 96% of PL points from like for like fixtures - which would have given us a strong mid table finish.

However with the added benefit of a fully fit team and less fixtures I would have expected us to equal or exceed last season’s points, giving us the possibility to finish top half. Worst case scenario the chances of relegation were negligible and have increased under GM — given the poor results in the easiest home games (for comparison Garry achieving PL points at less than 65% of last years like for like games).

There was no way we were going down under ML and even given the lost points against the easier teams I still have a good degree of confidence that we will stay up (even though scraping through will be a very poor result for our team quality).

Let’s not forget we also still played some lovely football under ML despite the circumstances. Although the West Ham game was poor, they had manager of the month beating every team by 2 goals in Feb including Southampton. They only conceded 1 goal all month and had already held Chelsea away 0-0 the game before ours. I also dread to think what was going on behind the scenes at that time. The lowest point for me was losing to West Brom at home when they were in such massively poor form. Especially as they are a team we have played some of our most beautiful football against.

Even you must understand that you cant right the wrongs of a season and a half in the 3 months that Monk has been here. Players who are out of form will not just jump straight back into it, recurring mistakes will not just stop and the rot will have pretty much set in.

Its very difficult to get a passing team playing with oozing confidence when they are 1 point above relegation (as they were when Monk took over ). Teams at this stage of season generally call on their experience in a relegation battle and sheer doggedness to drag them out of a hole, neither things we have in great abundance in our squad. It is no coincidence that we always do well until around end of Feb each year, as do the likes of Arsenal and its largely because we are allowed to play our football, but at this late stage other teams will go hell for leather and grind results out that we can't match.

We lost the opportunity to get the points on the board early in the season which has served us well in the first two years and we are paying the price now. We just have to hope that we can pluck out a couple of scrappy wins to get ourselves out of the mess we have created.
Europe on 18:37 - Apr 16 with 812 viewsmarchamjack

Europe on 18:27 - Apr 16 by C_jack

Shingles team to play Valencia away:

Cornell
Situ
Alfei
Richards
Obeng
Gorre
March
Lucas
Fulton
Vasquez
Loveridge

Oldjack on the bench.

I still wouldn't pick Vasquez

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Europe on 18:41 - Apr 16 with 808 viewsSpratty

Europe on 17:59 - Apr 16 by controversial_jack

Um anything else changed?
Europe on 19:09 - Apr 16 with 784 viewsshingle

Europe on 18:37 - Apr 16 by marchamjack

I still wouldn't pick Vasquez

Yep and the difference to our season would be one less European away trip and a nice safe higher finish in the Prem. but bad management put payed to that.
Europe (n/t) on 19:12 - Apr 16 with 777 viewsshingle

Europe on 18:35 - Apr 16 by IAN05

Even you must understand that you cant right the wrongs of a season and a half in the 3 months that Monk has been here. Players who are out of form will not just jump straight back into it, recurring mistakes will not just stop and the rot will have pretty much set in.

Its very difficult to get a passing team playing with oozing confidence when they are 1 point above relegation (as they were when Monk took over ). Teams at this stage of season generally call on their experience in a relegation battle and sheer doggedness to drag them out of a hole, neither things we have in great abundance in our squad. It is no coincidence that we always do well until around end of Feb each year, as do the likes of Arsenal and its largely because we are allowed to play our football, but at this late stage other teams will go hell for leather and grind results out that we can't match.

We lost the opportunity to get the points on the board early in the season which has served us well in the first two years and we are paying the price now. We just have to hope that we can pluck out a couple of scrappy wins to get ourselves out of the mess we have created.

[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 19:13]
Europe on 19:20 - Apr 16 with 765 viewsshingle

Europe on 14:25 - Apr 16 by Spratty

Oh wait NO I DIDN'T

All top 5 teams played.

Come on now, look at the length of your post, is there something lacking with you in the upstairs department, you must be really insecure, that`s just right off it.
Europe on 19:29 - Apr 16 with 757 viewsStarsky

Europe on 05:12 - Apr 16 by Cooperman

I'm reasonably confident that we would have won the WHU, Palarse, and Stoke games if we had not played on the proceeding Thursday evening.

I was reasonably confident we were going to get a result at Hull City after a two week break. Hull really shouldn't have beaten us as they were being distracted with their own cup run. See, doesn't work like that, either way.

It's just the internet, init.

Europe on 19:31 - Apr 16 with 750 viewsIAN05

Europe on 19:20 - Apr 16 by shingle

Come on now, look at the length of your post, is there something lacking with you in the upstairs department, you must be really insecure, that`s just right off it.

The guy has to be some link to Laudrup. He is so obsessed with blindly defending anything to do with Laudrup that he has lost sight of the club he is supposed to support. He seems to have lost any sense of reality.

Like for like fixture results mean absolutely nothing. Like all tests and comparison of data it means nothing unless the conditions are consistent - same squads, same times in season etc etc.

Talk about searching for information to prove a point.
Europe on 19:38 - Apr 16 with 748 viewsStarsky

Europe on 11:20 - Apr 16 by shingle

Agree, for us to compete and survive in what is reguarded the toughest league in the world we need our best players fresh and firing on all cylinders, lets be honest what good did playing our best players in Europe do us, we scraped through to the last 32 and in the process made next to nothing money wise, what a complete and utter waste of time, we should have put our second string in from the start and we would now be looking forward to top flight football next season instead of the relegation fight we now find our selves in.

Is that all you want out of Swansea City? Scratching around just surviving in the Premier league.

Answer me this honestly Shingle. Did you disapprove of our Capital cup run last year?

Europe on 20:11 - Apr 16 with 731 viewsshingle

Europe on 19:38 - Apr 16 by Starsky

Is that all you want out of Swansea City? Scratching around just surviving in the Premier league.

Answer me this honestly Shingle. Did you disapprove of our Capital cup run last year?

Why would you not mind us scratching around the Championship instead, i enjoyed the capital cup run, 6 games spread over four or five months, the two domestic cups and being in the Prem is just about our limit unless of course some multi millionaire comes in and gives us a squad like the Chelsea`s and Man City`s etc, but in the meantime if we find ourselves in the Europa again play a second string team and concentrate on the Prem and hopefully our management will not fcuk again
Europe on 20:14 - Apr 16 with 726 viewsshingle

Europe on 19:31 - Apr 16 by IAN05

The guy has to be some link to Laudrup. He is so obsessed with blindly defending anything to do with Laudrup that he has lost sight of the club he is supposed to support. He seems to have lost any sense of reality.

Like for like fixture results mean absolutely nothing. Like all tests and comparison of data it means nothing unless the conditions are consistent - same squads, same times in season etc etc.

Talk about searching for information to prove a point.

He feels the need to defend himself in great detail over everything mate, the guy is right off it end of.
Europe on 20:14 - Apr 16 with 725 viewsStarsky

Europe on 20:11 - Apr 16 by shingle

Why would you not mind us scratching around the Championship instead, i enjoyed the capital cup run, 6 games spread over four or five months, the two domestic cups and being in the Prem is just about our limit unless of course some multi millionaire comes in and gives us a squad like the Chelsea`s and Man City`s etc, but in the meantime if we find ourselves in the Europa again play a second string team and concentrate on the Prem and hopefully our management will not fcuk again

Ok... We need a new manager. If we get the right one, then maybe we can have a better season AND compete in whatever cups we enter.
It doesn't have to be relegation OR no cups.

Europe on 20:17 - Apr 16 with 725 viewsshingle

Europe on 19:29 - Apr 16 by Starsky

I was reasonably confident we were going to get a result at Hull City after a two week break. Hull really shouldn't have beaten us as they were being distracted with their own cup run. See, doesn't work like that, either way.

But Hull are still only playing once a week despite there success in the Fa cup, so what is your point.
Europe on 20:23 - Apr 16 with 718 viewsshingle

Europe on 20:14 - Apr 16 by Starsky

Ok... We need a new manager. If we get the right one, then maybe we can have a better season AND compete in whatever cups we enter.
It doesn't have to be relegation OR no cups.

No matter what manager we get, there is no way a club like us can take on the extra workload of a European cup And keep playing our best players he would have to play a weakened team and keep our best team to concentrate on the Prem simple really.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024