Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Europe 17:44 - Apr 15 with 8509 viewssully49

I believe one of the main reasons, for this situation we are currently in, Is us playing in Europe. Our squad was very short in depth, and quality, for us to rotate, consequently our season suffered greatly. I'm not against Europe but it hasn't done us any favors at all. It was at the wrong for us.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Europe on 15:17 - Apr 20 with 738 viewsshingle

Europe on 14:57 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

Games played on the Sunday after a Thursday away game in Europe

Ploiesti (away) Won 2-0 at West Brom
Valencia (away) Won 1-0 at Crystal Palace
Krasnodar (away) Drew 3-3 with Stoke
St Gallen (away) Drew 1-1 with Norwich
Napoli (away) Drew 1-1 with Crystal Palace

And after a Thursday home game

Ploiesti (home) Lost 1-0 to Spurs
St Gallen (home) Lost 2-0 to Southampton
Krasnodar (home) drew 0-0 with West Ham
Valencia (home) lost 3-0 to Manchester City
Napoli (home) lost 4-3 to Liverpool

Total 10 points from 10 games

This post has been edited by an administrator

2 wins in ten, players must have been fresh and raring to go after the midweek cup games, but that had nothing to do playing the likes of Michu into the ground, as well also affecting confidence levels with doubts setting in for the very difficult league campaign over the next few months etc.
Europe on 15:20 - Apr 20 with 731 viewsmarchamjack

Europe on 15:07 - Apr 20 by shingle

Yep your right, we did win one game, as well and losing quite a few players through injury, and things have not got better after the cup because once the rot sets in it`s very difficult to stop, as i say we should not have overplayed our best players and kept them fresh and firing on all cylinders for the Prem, but hey it now looks like as we are going to get away with it and survive and that`s all that matters to me, so you lot carry on and believe the Europa had nowt to do with our struggle to stay in the Prem and i`ll just look forward to a comfortable mid table finish next season without the Europa to worry about.

I do find it strange that you "would look forward to" a mid table finish.

I'd 'look forward to' a finishing place as high as we can get to, and I'd certainly 'look forward to' another European adventure whenever we might be able to get there.

I'd settle for mid table next year if that's all we can achieve, but looking foward to it...how mundane is the limit of your aspiration. Thank God Huw and co haven't been bound by such limits to their aspirations over the years or ocassionally beating Northampton away might have been enough for them.

Just find it strange that some on here aspire to so little for our club and themselves.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Europe on 15:22 - Apr 20 with 727 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 15:20 - Apr 20 by marchamjack

I do find it strange that you "would look forward to" a mid table finish.

I'd 'look forward to' a finishing place as high as we can get to, and I'd certainly 'look forward to' another European adventure whenever we might be able to get there.

I'd settle for mid table next year if that's all we can achieve, but looking foward to it...how mundane is the limit of your aspiration. Thank God Huw and co haven't been bound by such limits to their aspirations over the years or ocassionally beating Northampton away might have been enough for them.

Just find it strange that some on here aspire to so little for our club and themselves.

Theres nothing strange about it, we have had a post on here that it matters more that some random American made a comment that we were 'little old Swansea in the Premier League' than watching your side in two of the most famous grounds in Europe having become the first side to qualify under English competition to be there in the first place.

There really is no point in winning trophies it stops you finishing 9th in the division

I really hope we do finish mid table next season and dont go and win a cup or anything stupid like that

Europe on 15:29 - Apr 20 with 715 viewsmarchamjack

Europe on 15:22 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

Theres nothing strange about it, we have had a post on here that it matters more that some random American made a comment that we were 'little old Swansea in the Premier League' than watching your side in two of the most famous grounds in Europe having become the first side to qualify under English competition to be there in the first place.

There really is no point in winning trophies it stops you finishing 9th in the division

I really hope we do finish mid table next season and dont go and win a cup or anything stupid like that

Quite

Valencia, Napoli, Wembley, Chelsea semi final etc

Don't want any of that nonsense again if we're going to finish outside the top ten

I do understand now

We are little, tiny Swansea, know your place

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Europe on 15:33 - Apr 20 with 707 viewsshingle

Europe on 15:12 - Apr 20 by C_jack

Oh aye.. we've been struggling ever since the first day when we were bottom of the table.

We started off the season pretty well, up to the 23rd sept we were holding our own sitting nicely in 8th position until the Europa games started to affect our league form. but if your happy with your struggling after losing our first game of the season comment by all mean`s carry on , fcuk me there are some beauts on here lol
Europe on 15:34 - Apr 20 with 704 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 23:45 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

Also C_Jack it's funny that you mention Wigan. Here's a bit of information you might be interested in:

Wigan (while in Europa League)

P: 19
W: 7
D: 4
L: 8
Points per game: 1.32
Position: 14th

Wigan (after being eliminated from the Europa League)

P: 22
W: 12
D: 6
L: 4
Points per game: 1.91
Position: 5th

No effect.

And they did all that whilst having a pesky FA Cup run to the semi finals as well...

Plus you seem to have forgotten that the effects of Europe last long after you are out of the competition or does that only count if it suits the argument?

Europe on 15:36 - Apr 20 with 699 viewsPhil_S

of course what most people accept is that our squad would always be tested to the limit having a European campaign of 10+ games. Most of us said it in the summer rather than coming back five months later and posting it like it is some kind of visionary statement

But most would accept a 15th place finish and 12 games in Europe on the back of a cup win rather than 10th place and none of the extras.

Because that is what football is all about. Winning things like.
Europe on 15:38 - Apr 20 with 698 viewsScoobyWho

Positivity is what is required for a seasons challenge.
Look at Palace, as much as I dislike them.

People keep over reacting to the current weeks results, and at the moment the swans are 13th and could easily be eleventh by the end of the season.

Europe has impacted dramatically, really ? we have travelled away, had some tremendous results and trips, near enough secured PL status and have much better players than last season and most certainly the season before.

All is good.

And it always will be.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Login to get fewer ads

Europe on 15:52 - Apr 20 with 685 viewsshingle

Europe on 15:22 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

Never know we might have a good run in the domestic cups, but for a little club like us staying in the Prem is awesome as for the Europa we could not even get further than the last 32 of a second tier cup apart from some of our supporters away trip memories, no one will remember our exploits in Europe and no one will give a fcuk we scraped through our group then got knocked out, end of.
Europe on 15:54 - Apr 20 with 680 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 15:52 - Apr 20 by shingle

Never know we might have a good run in the domestic cups, but for a little club like us staying in the Prem is awesome as for the Europa we could not even get further than the last 32 of a second tier cup apart from some of our supporters away trip memories, no one will remember our exploits in Europe and no one will give a fcuk we scraped through our group then got knocked out, end of.

So you dont want to win any more competitions then? The fact that nobody remembers it outside our fanbase is irrelevant to most people bar you and a few others it seems. And you seem to value that more highly than the memories those trips created. It's what we remember that matters most. End of.
Europe on 15:57 - Apr 20 with 667 viewsDr_Winston

Europe on 15:54 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

So you dont want to win any more competitions then? The fact that nobody remembers it outside our fanbase is irrelevant to most people bar you and a few others it seems. And you seem to value that more highly than the memories those trips created. It's what we remember that matters most. End of.

I thoroughly enjoyed Europe. Wish we'd handled it a little better in terms of squad depth, but it's something I'd love to repeat.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Europe on 16:06 - Apr 20 with 652 viewsshingle

Europe on 15:54 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

I would love us to win cups, imo for a club like us staying in the Prem is more important than anything, now we have proved we can cope with the two domestic cups but the extra burden of Europe has very nearly cost us our Prem status, we are not Chelsea or Man City etc, it was great playing in Europe no doubt , but we did not have the squad to cope with all these competitions, as i say should have kept our best players for the Prem the only difference as far as the Europa is concerned is that we would have had three away trips instead of 4, big deal.
Europe on 16:07 - Apr 20 with 643 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 16:06 - Apr 20 by shingle

I would love us to win cups, imo for a club like us staying in the Prem is more important than anything, now we have proved we can cope with the two domestic cups but the extra burden of Europe has very nearly cost us our Prem status, we are not Chelsea or Man City etc, it was great playing in Europe no doubt , but we did not have the squad to cope with all these competitions, as i say should have kept our best players for the Prem the only difference as far as the Europa is concerned is that we would have had three away trips instead of 4, big deal.

Or indeed 5 instead of 6.

And 'very nearly costs us our PL status' is simply not true just a statement you like to use to over dramatise your point
Europe on 16:09 - Apr 20 with 638 viewsshingle

Europe on 15:57 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

I thoroughly enjoyed Europe. Wish we'd handled it a little better in terms of squad depth, but it's something I'd love to repeat.

Fair comment, and maybe if we did get into Europe again the Management will have learned from there mistakes and handle thing`s differently.
Europe on 16:10 - Apr 20 with 633 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 16:09 - Apr 20 by shingle

Fair comment, and maybe if we did get into Europe again the Management will have learned from there mistakes and handle thing`s differently.

So basically now you are agreeing with us? Fair play
Europe on 16:19 - Apr 20 with 620 viewsshingle

Europe on 16:07 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

Or indeed 5 instead of 6.

And 'very nearly costs us our PL status' is simply not true just a statement you like to use to over dramatise your point

Ok Mr Jobsworth 5 instead of 6 still one less and and no matter what spin you put on it could we not get passed the last 32, of a second tier cup, and in the process made fcuk all out of it, apart from away trip memories of course,which you could have had even if we had left our better players at home.
Europe on 16:23 - Apr 20 with 613 viewsshingle

Europe on 16:10 - Apr 20 by Phil_S

So basically now you are agreeing with us? Fair play

Not agreeing with you at all. your way to much of a pen pusher for my liking, what part of not minding us play in Europe as long as we keep out best players for the Prem or get a stronger squad do you not understand.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2014 16:24]
Europe on 16:24 - Apr 20 with 610 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 16:19 - Apr 20 by shingle

Ok Mr Jobsworth 5 instead of 6 still one less and and no matter what spin you put on it could we not get passed the last 32, of a second tier cup, and in the process made fcuk all out of it, apart from away trip memories of course,which you could have had even if we had left our better players at home.

Calm down dear there is no need to get so angry in response it wont help your blood pressure

So we should deny the players who made it all possible the chance to test themselves in Europe just to keep your dream of mid table safety alive which we will achieve anyway

Of course a stronger squad would have been nicer - as I said earlier most of us said that back in the summer - but we grasped the opportunity we had with both hands and made the most of it and lets hope we can do it all over again and very soon

No matter what the random americans think
Europe on 16:26 - Apr 20 with 605 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 16:23 - Apr 20 by shingle

Not agreeing with you at all. your way to much of a pen pusher for my liking, what part of not minding us play in Europe as long as we keep out best players for the Prem or get a stronger squad do you not understand.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2014 16:24]

As I said calm down dear. Pen pusher? Thats a new one, keep to the ones you have used for years rather than trying to pick up new ones that really make no sense whatsoever

Or let them tell you what to write next?
Europe on 16:26 - Apr 20 with 604 viewsC_jack

Did we get f**k all out of the Premier League this season then? We couldn't get into the top half..

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Europe on 16:29 - Apr 20 with 606 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 16:26 - Apr 20 by C_jack

Did we get f**k all out of the Premier League this season then? We couldn't get into the top half..

Ah but had we not been in Europe we would have been top half mun...do keep up
Europe on 16:33 - Apr 20 with 599 viewsMisterGaz

Would the likes of Wilfried Bony have signed for us in the first place if we weren't in the Europa League? It could be argued that being in Europe kept us up due to the goals he's scored this year...
Europe on 16:58 - Apr 20 with 571 viewsJackFish

You keep calling it a second tier cup as if we're too good for the likes of Juventus, Sevilla, Napoli and Valencia and should be competing in the CL with the big boys.
Europe on 17:08 - Apr 20 with 563 viewsDrizzy

Almost every single team in Premier League history has finished lower whilst in the Europa League compared to the season before.

It had a significant negative effect on us this year.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Europe on 17:09 - Apr 20 with 562 viewsPhil_S

Europe on 17:08 - Apr 20 by Drizzy

Almost every single team in Premier League history has finished lower whilst in the Europa League compared to the season before.

It had a significant negative effect on us this year.

So the point then is not to qualify? I dont get it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024