Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Kinnock Empire 11:22 - Apr 17 with 4363 viewsYrAlarch

Never mind the Russian incursion of Ukraine, what about the Kinnock incursion of Aberavon. First it's Europe, now Wales.
The Kinnock Empire on 10:41 - Apr 21 with 1067 viewsGretsch

The Kinnock Empire on 20:56 - Apr 20 by fbreath

He was great hit in spitting image

Lovely, bloody lovely he was
The Kinnock Empire on 12:19 - Apr 21 with 1049 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Kinnock Empire on 19:50 - Apr 20 by exiledclaseboy

You're wrong. On pretty much everything. It's not even a matter of opinion when you play fast and loose with the facts like you are.

In 1987 the Tories were defending a majority of about 130 against a Labour Party which had spent the past four years tearing itself apart. They were never going to win. There was a danger early on of them coming third in the popular vote behind the SDP/Liberal Alliance. They didn't, but only polled 31% (I think) and the Tories won in another landslide. Show me a political commentator who claimed that Labour had any chance of winning in 1987 and I'll show you an idiot.

John Smith continued the work Kinnock had started. It was Kinnock who expelled the extremists and carried out a root and branch review of every policy with the stated aim of dragging the party kicking and screaming to the centre left. It's laughable to credit Smith with making Labour electable again when he was only leader for two years before he died.

So, in short, you're wrong.

That was the greatest pity of all in my opinion, the premature death of John Smith. If only he had lived ten years longer we could have avoided that horrible c*nt Blair or at least minimized his smug impact

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Kinnock Empire on 12:50 - Apr 21 with 1037 viewsDaggyjack

Met Stephen Kinnock a number of times during his campaign for the Aberavon seat. He purposely didn't get into politics until now (think he's 44) as he wanted to do it off his own back rather than rely on his father, which would have been the easier option..
Appeared a very genuine person and I'm glad that he won the seat, probably despite of the local click.
If Kinnock can help Aberavon on the way to bigger and better things for himself, then that's fine by me.
The Kinnock Empire on 10:42 - Apr 23 with 1009 viewsDarran

Puke.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Kinnock Empire on 15:24 - Apr 23 with 997 viewsCatullus

So Smith couldn't have made Labour electable in two years? Ok, I'll go with that idea and follow it with a question (because I honestly don't know and can't be bothered to look) but how long was Blair in charge before he was elected?

Edited because I did look, a tad less than 3 years. But (in my opinion) Smith was twice the man Blair is. But then I have hindsight on my side and Blair fooled a lot of people.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2014 15:28]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Kinnock Empire on 18:30 - Apr 23 with 978 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Kinnock Empire on 15:24 - Apr 23 by Catullus

So Smith couldn't have made Labour electable in two years? Ok, I'll go with that idea and follow it with a question (because I honestly don't know and can't be bothered to look) but how long was Blair in charge before he was elected?

Edited because I did look, a tad less than 3 years. But (in my opinion) Smith was twice the man Blair is. But then I have hindsight on my side and Blair fooled a lot of people.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2014 15:28]

Could Smith have made Labour electable in two years? No, not starting from the point Kinnock started from in 1984 he couldn't. No one could have. One of the main criticisms of Smith during his tragically short time as Labour leader was that he was too quiet and not pro-active enough in promoting his own party or attacking the government.

Both Smith and, ultimately, Blair benefited from the work Kinnock did in his eight years or so as leader.

Would Smith have won in 1997 had he survived. I believe so, yes. I tend to think Kinnock would have also won that election if he'd stayed on as leader. By 1997 Major's fourth term Tory government was mired in complacency and corruption. It was time for a change, just as it was five years ago when Brown's government was routed.

Elections in the UK aren't won because the electorate suddenly has an en masse ideological shift from left to right or vice versa. They're won because governments get complacent, corrupt and run out of ideas. People get fed up of them and they end up voting for the other party. It's happened throughout history. Also worth noting that no government in the UK this century or last has commanded the support of more than 50% of those who voted.

What makes next year's election so unique is that no one has a clue how it will go. The Tories are not trusted, the LibDems have been set up as the fall guy for most of the coalition's less palatable policies and people are still suspicious of Labour after the disastrous few years of the last Labour government. And then there's the rise (such as it is) of UKIP, which will have an affect, the only question is how much.

Interesting times.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Tory leader

The Kinnock Empire on 09:59 - Apr 24 with 956 viewsCatullus

Agree entirely with the last two paragraphs.

The Tories have tried stealing a few of Libdems' better ideas, like the person tax allowances increase. But Clegg is untrusted and may well come behind Farage in the Euro's AND the general election, according to recent polls.

You said it a while back, UKIP may help Labour by splitting the Tory vote!

It still comes down more to who people won't vote for rather than who they want. I get the feeling most people would ditch the lot of them and start again if they could!

Politicians are generally disliked and distrusted.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Kinnock Empire on 13:00 - Apr 27 with 928 viewsNOTRAC

The problems with Kinnock came after he gave up his leadership.The gravy train in Europe for his whole family.His acceptance of a Lordship after campaigning all his political life to abolish it.
His sudden I'm Cardiff's biggest supporter when they got to the Premiership,his love relationship with Tan, and his complete absence of being seen with him or Cardiff since things turned for the worse.
Kinnock is a turd of the first order ,full stop!

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Login to get fewer ads

The Kinnock Empire on 22:55 - Apr 27 with 902 viewsCatullus

The Kinnock Empire on 13:00 - Apr 27 by NOTRAC

The problems with Kinnock came after he gave up his leadership.The gravy train in Europe for his whole family.His acceptance of a Lordship after campaigning all his political life to abolish it.
His sudden I'm Cardiff's biggest supporter when they got to the Premiership,his love relationship with Tan, and his complete absence of being seen with him or Cardiff since things turned for the worse.
Kinnock is a turd of the first order ,full stop!

And that is exactly how I feel!!

The Kinnock Empire on 08:11 - Apr 28 with 879 viewsYrAlarch

Guess we'll see him down the Liberty next Season with his lad, the MP elect for Aberavon. Bet they won't be seen down the GenQuip Stadium.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024