Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pen y Fan walk 18:34 - Apr 17 with 3125 viewsJackfath

I am ashamed to say I've never walked to the summit of Pen y Fan.

Could someone with experience of this let me know where to drive to in order to walk this?
Clearly I would need the location of a car park and not "witty" answers like "I'd go to the bottom of Pen y Fan" etc etc

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Pen y Fan walk on 18:40 - Apr 17 with 2677 viewsLord_Bony

I was there on Tuesday beautiful sunny day.

If you re going from swansea I think its Hirwaun you turn off anyway it's between Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon a470 road.

You turn in the large lay-by that says toilet,cafe and park there.i was surprised all the trees in the car park have been removed .any way park and walk up the paved path to get to the top takes about 45 mins,it s zig zag so not so steep.then the peak is a spectacular view,one one side looking down it's very steep.

You can then proceed to walk the path around it or come back down.

We'll worth the walk and highly recommended,if you re doing it for charity I ll sponsor you.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Pen y Fan walk on 18:42 - Apr 17 with 2673 viewsNogginthenog

When i did it I went from the car park next to the Storey arms visitor centre. You will need stout shoes or walking boots, a rucksack with plenty of victuals, a hat if its sunny (not a tin foil one) and take a stick made of mythrill to ward off evil spirits from the Merthyr end.
Pen y Fan walk on 19:09 - Apr 17 with 2628 viewsBanosswan

Depends how experienced at walking you are. The ascent from storey arms is relatively simple and doesn't take long. If you're after something a bit more challenging, try this one
http://www.theaa.com/walks/the-brecon-beacons-from-the-neuadd-reservoirs-420064

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Pen y Fan walk on 21:41 - Apr 17 with 2538 viewsPacemaker

Take A465 from M4 to Hirwaun roundabout then take Penderyn junction signposted Brecon take this road and join A470 on towards Brecon as you pass large reservoir on your left you will see large car park on your right or smaller car park on your left directly opposite the Storey Arms YHA.

There are two paths up to Pen y Fan one is directly behind Pen y Fan the second from the first car park as described. The latter is "easier" and called the tourist track the path behind the Storey Arms is a little bit more arduous.

You should wear decent clothing and footwear the weather on the Beacons can be very changeable, always be prepared for the worst case scenario. I always take a rucksack, extra clothing, food and drink.

It is a great walk very enjoyable.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Pen y Fan walk on 21:46 - Apr 17 with 2524 viewsJackfath

Thanks everyone for your help.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Pen y Fan walk on 22:13 - Apr 17 with 2500 viewsswansRus

if you fancy somewhere closer to home - and just as scenic and nearly as high, try walking up to Llyn Y Fan Fach and up the hill behind - just beyond Abercrave - turn left after the pub after Dan yr Ogof, drive about a mile, park up on left by small waterfalls (source of the Tawe) - peaceful and spectacular

Pen y Fan walk on 22:15 - Apr 17 with 2496 viewsJackfath

Pen y Fan walk on 22:13 - Apr 17 by swansRus

if you fancy somewhere closer to home - and just as scenic and nearly as high, try walking up to Llyn Y Fan Fach and up the hill behind - just beyond Abercrave - turn left after the pub after Dan yr Ogof, drive about a mile, park up on left by small waterfalls (source of the Tawe) - peaceful and spectacular

It's amazing to think that these places are on my doorstep and I've never been. I also read somewhere that there is a place where a wreckage of some old planes can be found up near there? Is this right?

Pen y Fan walk on 22:22 - Apr 17 with 2484 viewsswansRus

Pen y Fan walk on 22:15 - Apr 17 by Jackfath

It's amazing to think that these places are on my doorstep and I've never been. I also read somewhere that there is a place where a wreckage of some old planes can be found up near there? Is this right?

that's up on the crag Swanse side of Abercrave = bomber came down in a training flight - not been up there myself

http://web.archive.org/web/20060624105454/ http://clwb-cerdded-ystalyfera.i12.com/pages/mf509.htm
Login to get fewer ads

Pen y Fan walk on 22:28 - Apr 17 with 2473 viewsJackfath

Pen y Fan walk on 22:22 - Apr 17 by swansRus

that's up on the crag Swanse side of Abercrave = bomber came down in a training flight - not been up there myself

http://web.archive.org/web/20060624105454/ http://clwb-cerdded-ystalyfera.i12.com/pages/mf509.htm

Awesome! Are the bodies and stuff still in there?

Pen y Fan walk on 22:32 - Apr 17 with 2462 viewsPacemaker

The Wellington bomber memorial site is on the other side of Pen y Fan. Not for you though obviously.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Pen y Fan walk on 22:33 - Apr 17 with 2456 viewsswansRus

Pen y Fan walk on 22:32 - Apr 17 by Pacemaker

The Wellington bomber memorial site is on the other side of Pen y Fan. Not for you though obviously.

the site is above Abercrave

here's how it happened -

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/saturdayextra/story.html?id=e232474a-

if you fancy a walk up there, here's a guide

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=662882
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 22:39]
Pen y Fan walk on 22:41 - Apr 17 with 2440 viewsNogginthenog

I once went on a 25k walk around the various aircraft wrecks of which there are scores. It was not for the faint hearted I can tell you.Many of these wrecks were training flights from WW2 but there are several post war ones as well including a wreck of a Vampire jet not far from the Carmarthen Fans above Llyn y Fan as mentioned earlier.

I think it was on Remembrance Sunday and may still be done. There is little left of the wrecks now and you would need an experienced guide with map reading skills to find them. The one above Craig Y Nos is the wreck of a Canadian Wellington bomber and there are quite a lot of its remains and a small tribute to the men that perished. I have a small book which describes many of these wrecks and their causes and you can still get them from the Brecon Park visitor center if I'm not mistaken. Fascinating reading.
Pen y Fan walk on 23:06 - Apr 17 with 2409 viewsjack_lord

My grandfather was part of a search team that had to go out in to the beacons when planes went down and I remember him telling me about the Canadian one.
I have never been up Penyfan either, even though I pass it all the time and often stop for a coffee with the scottish guy who does the burgers.
If you fancy a walk you can make sure I get to the top Fath.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Pen y Fan walk on 09:23 - Apr 18 with 2318 viewsBaker

Pen y Fan walk on 19:09 - Apr 17 by Banosswan

Depends how experienced at walking you are. The ascent from storey arms is relatively simple and doesn't take long. If you're after something a bit more challenging, try this one
http://www.theaa.com/walks/the-brecon-beacons-from-the-neuadd-reservoirs-420064

I've been walking since before I was two years old.

Do you think I'd be experienced enough to tackle it?

I'm 39.

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Pen y Fan walk on 09:50 - Apr 18 with 2297 viewsBanosswan

I knew when I posted it i should rephrase it! At 39 you're probably a bit past it, best to park up somewhere near Caswell and perv on the girls.

I second the Llyn y fan walk, my favourite walk probably. I have maps with the plane locations somewhere too.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

Pen y Fan walk on 12:58 - Apr 18 with 2254 viewsjack_lord

We are going to do it now unless we need proper walking shoes - any one?

Pen y Fan walk on 13:31 - Apr 18 with 2238 viewsBanosswan

Should be Ok with decent trainers. Take a rucksack with spare clothes, food, water etc in case the weather changes.

Pen y Fan walk on 17:55 - Apr 18 with 2167 viewsjack_lord

It was a beautiful day for the walk today. Plenty of Swans fans doing the walk as well.

Pen y Fan walk on 18:35 - Apr 18 with 2152 viewsJackfath

Pen y Fan walk on 17:55 - Apr 18 by jack_lord

It was a beautiful day for the walk today. Plenty of Swans fans doing the walk as well.

What was it like?

Pen y Fan walk on 19:05 - Apr 18 with 2136 viewsTokijo

Park up Storey Arms car park. This route is bit harder than taking the other route from the car park 200yds down the road. Asecent should take 40-50 minutes. Both considered easy to moderate.
Pen y Fan walk on 22:08 - Apr 18 with 2096 viewsjack_lord

Pen y Fan walk on 18:35 - Apr 18 by Jackfath

What was it like?

We took the easy route as my wife expressed her concerns and it was pretty easy though was a bit tiring as we walked it a bit too quickly. There were very many nationalities on the walk too. Great views up there to be fair.

Pen y Fan walk on 22:12 - Apr 18 with 2091 viewsJackfath

Pen y Fan walk on 22:08 - Apr 18 by jack_lord

We took the easy route as my wife expressed her concerns and it was pretty easy though was a bit tiring as we walked it a bit too quickly. There were very many nationalities on the walk too. Great views up there to be fair.

I will do it next week. Went on a bike ride today instead.

Pen y Fan walk on 22:49 - Apr 18 with 2073 viewsjack_lord

Pen y Fan walk on 22:12 - Apr 18 by Jackfath

I will do it next week. Went on a bike ride today instead.

You will thank yourself for bringing it up as it is worth it. I'm not doing a bike ride though :)

Pen y Fan walk on 01:24 - Apr 19 with 2039 viewsLiberty

I know quite a few people who have done the 3 peaks in 24 hours challenge for charity. Don't think they had chance to really appreciate the climbs, as against the clock.

But they were not climbers or that fit, so physically it should be fine.

Better to take ur time and enjoy it.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Pen y Fan walk on 07:39 - Apr 19 with 2006 viewsmarchamjack

Once you've done Pen-y-Fan and the other local walks, why not try something a bit more challenging. A group of us go for a long weekend every October to Snowdonia and stay at the Pen-Y-Gwryd Hotel, a legendary climbers hotel where Hilary prepared for his 1953 Everest expedition. It's like stepping back in time in there and very quirky, see link below

http://www.pyg.co.uk/

Done all the Swondonia peaks over the years and some are pretty full on, like Crib Goch (part of the Snowdon Horeshoe with Y Lliwedd) a 'very hard' grade ascent which we ill-advisedly did a few years ago starting off in the dark and going up in rain and wind. The needle edge ridge at the top I was too afraid to stand up and literally crawled along, link below

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/3036/

We end up walking/scrambling/climbing for 7-8 hours a day and been up there when we've started off in t-shirts and ended up with snow coming down on top of a few peaks (which makes things really difficult!). Always finish the day back at the PYG with beers in their outdoor sauna and a dip in the mountain lake (fckn freezing). Favourite weekend of the year for me.

Been up Pen-Y-Fan in the snow, which was a brilliant experience on a beautiful sunny winters day.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024