Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Boulevard project 08:48 - Apr 19 with 1449 viewsJackfath

I drove down from the East side towards Mumbles earlier this week and it was my first experience of the Boulevard project which has seen huge investment from our council recently.

I couldn't believe what a waste of money this is. How exactly has it improved the area? What are the positives?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The Boulevard project on 08:51 - Apr 19 with 1050 viewswaynekerr55

Along with the "bendy buses" this is another clusterf*ck by our wonderful council

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Boulevard project on 08:55 - Apr 19 with 1034 viewsjack_lord

I am hoping that when the trees mature it will look like what the planners envisaged. While people go and spend their hard earned coin in Cardiff though, we will always struggle to improve the city centre.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Boulevard project on 09:06 - Apr 19 with 1023 viewsllangyfelach

Its a shocker

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

The Boulevard project on 09:10 - Apr 19 with 1011 viewsjaf69

i attended the presentation of this scheme in 2008 it seemed like it was going to be a huge improvement to the whole area. it was going to have huge pvt investment as well as public funds pumped into it, then alas the world economy went pete tong. as a result we are now getting a much scaled down version of what was initially envisaged.
unfortunately i have a feeling this toned down version is going to be a complete anti climax. also from what i gather the intention is to do the rest of the proposed scheme some time in the future, but as with most things in Swansea it will be a while before they get around to it and ultimately be looking dated by that time, resulting in a new scheme to replace what they are now creating.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 9:12]
The Boulevard project on 09:53 - Apr 19 with 962 viewsDr_Winston

The Boulevard project on 08:51 - Apr 19 by waynekerr55

Along with the "bendy buses" this is another clusterf*ck by our wonderful council

The bendy bus service (hospital to hospital) is an excellent idea. They could have achieved it with some nice new double deckers rather than tear up the road though.

As for the boulevard, it's a half arsed fix to a long term problem. They'd have been better off moving large chunks of Oystermouth Road underground instead.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Boulevard project on 09:57 - Apr 19 with 956 viewsSlugster664

The morons in charge have yet again fu cked up our city and have missed a great opportunity to open the city up for visitors.
The money wasted on this 'project' could have been used to develop 3 lanes from Quay Parade (Sainsburys) down to Blackpill, east and west. Thus opening Mumbles up for tourism and our city centre being bypassed. Then the next phase could have been putting the Kingsway, Orchard St and Westway as it was and getting rid of the bendy buses(by redirecting them along Mumbles Rd and thru Foxhole Rd!

But no! No vision from that lot making the decisions and the people of Swansea suffer yet again!!! Complete clowns!!

STID

The Boulevard project on 10:07 - Apr 19 with 941 viewsDDCH

Had my first experience of using the wider boulevard pavements alongside the LC2 and past the museum this morning whilst on my bike. It is really nice if you are walking or riding the bike alongside the main road with the wider space.

If they can get something there to encourage people to walk along it and use it it will be a good project....if it's just nicer/wider pavements then it will have been a waste of money.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

The Boulevard project on 10:10 - Apr 19 with 931 viewsDarran

The Boulevard project on 10:07 - Apr 19 by DDCH

Had my first experience of using the wider boulevard pavements alongside the LC2 and past the museum this morning whilst on my bike. It is really nice if you are walking or riding the bike alongside the main road with the wider space.

If they can get something there to encourage people to walk along it and use it it will be a good project....if it's just nicer/wider pavements then it will have been a waste of money.

WTF do want people to walk along it for?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

The Boulevard project on 10:24 - Apr 19 with 911 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 09:53 - Apr 19 by Dr_Winston

The bendy bus service (hospital to hospital) is an excellent idea. They could have achieved it with some nice new double deckers rather than tear up the road though.

As for the boulevard, it's a half arsed fix to a long term problem. They'd have been better off moving large chunks of Oystermouth Road underground instead.

How would the old people who are the only ones who can use these buses (as they get it for free) get upstairs on a double decker?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

The Boulevard project on 10:26 - Apr 19 with 906 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

They need to plough money into our wonderful city centre .
Don't normally track down there ,did yesterday , it's a f@@king shit hole .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The Boulevard project on 10:26 - Apr 19 with 905 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 10:07 - Apr 19 by DDCH

Great for the <1% of people who use this. Most use it for getting from A to B in their cars. Therefore surely the main focus along there should have been to make that stretch of road more free flowing?

The Boulevard project on 10:26 - Apr 19 with 904 viewsDr_Winston

The Boulevard project on 10:24 - Apr 19 by Jackfath

How would the old people who are the only ones who can use these buses (as they get it for free) get upstairs on a double decker?

They can stay downstairs.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Boulevard project on 10:29 - Apr 19 with 898 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 10:26 - Apr 19 by Dr_Winston

They can stay downstairs.

The upstairs would be empty though.

The Boulevard project on 10:36 - Apr 19 with 881 viewsjaf69

The Boulevard project on 10:29 - Apr 19 by Jackfath

The upstairs would be empty though.

install stairlifts, problem solved
The Boulevard project on 10:40 - Apr 19 with 877 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 10:36 - Apr 19 by jaf69

install stairlifts, problem solved

With ideas like that, you should work for the planning department at County Hall.

The Boulevard project on 10:46 - Apr 19 with 866 viewsDyfnant

The bendy bus is being phased out anyway, approximately £500M thrown into it apparently.
Incidentally, we used the train from Gowerton to Swansea yesterday, took less than 10 minutes. Obviously way too expensive to build a concrete platform at Landore though

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The Boulevard project on 10:51 - Apr 19 with 847 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 10:46 - Apr 19 by Dyfnant

The bendy bus is being phased out anyway, approximately £500M thrown into it apparently.
Incidentally, we used the train from Gowerton to Swansea yesterday, took less than 10 minutes. Obviously way too expensive to build a concrete platform at Landore though

I think a tram system should have been built on the sea front. Mental that this wasn't explored in more detail. A network could have been linked in to all sorts of places of interest. Surely with a place like Swansea with very few main routes the idea needs to be to get people out of their cars and into alternative methods of transport.

The Boulevard project (n/t) on 10:56 - Apr 19 with 829 viewsGeoffThom

[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 10:58]
The Boulevard project on 10:57 - Apr 19 with 826 viewsGeoffThom

Same way they do in other parts of the country go to somewhere like Edinburgh there's double dockers everywhere and it works perfectly
The Boulevard project on 11:05 - Apr 19 with 809 viewsstonedroller

I have been staying down penzance recently and coming home this week has been lovely, really enjoyed my week back home and as shit as you all say the place is and how shit the bus route is, Id like to say you're all quite wrong, I've used the buses all week, £7 for me and my son per day to go where ever we want on a smooth running, spotless brand new bus, getting us places on time every time. Also the city is looking better than ever, the opening up of st David's adds some light into that usually dark corner, the random art dotted about, the new quadrant, numerous new flats and places popping up, shops looking busy and lots of people walking through the city centre during the weekdays.

I think most of you expect too much and would prefer to slag us off rather than appreciate what our city has got, we are a small city in development, look back at how it looked post war, as much as things aren't perfect I feel you're being picky expecting much more in this current financial climate.

I can't wait to bring my Cornish bit of stuff and her kids up here to see the place next month.
The Boulevard project on 11:09 - Apr 19 with 802 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 11:05 - Apr 19 by stonedroller

I have been staying down penzance recently and coming home this week has been lovely, really enjoyed my week back home and as shit as you all say the place is and how shit the bus route is, Id like to say you're all quite wrong, I've used the buses all week, £7 for me and my son per day to go where ever we want on a smooth running, spotless brand new bus, getting us places on time every time. Also the city is looking better than ever, the opening up of st David's adds some light into that usually dark corner, the random art dotted about, the new quadrant, numerous new flats and places popping up, shops looking busy and lots of people walking through the city centre during the weekdays.

I think most of you expect too much and would prefer to slag us off rather than appreciate what our city has got, we are a small city in development, look back at how it looked post war, as much as things aren't perfect I feel you're being picky expecting much more in this current financial climate.

I can't wait to bring my Cornish bit of stuff and her kids up here to see the place next month.

The new Quadrant? Where is that then? How the hell can you afford £7 per day for buses? Part of the problem is the people walking round in the weekdays. Scruffy smelly people wearing clothes that need a good wash as do they. No pride in themselves or their city.

The Boulevard project on 11:11 - Apr 19 with 798 viewsDDCH

The Boulevard project on 10:10 - Apr 19 by Darran

WTF do want people to walk along it for?

Leisure I guess will be the focus. Making the Marina and town into one area I think is the idea. I am not saying it is right or wrong but from a leisure cyclists point of view it was a lot nicer today than it was last time I cycled it.

With the improvements they are going to be making to the cycle paths on Fabian Way as well it will be nice to have a more free flow from there, through the city and onto Mumbles.

I am reserving judgment until it is complete, but people do seem to get very irate with any change to the city, unless it is to restore it to the fabled time when Swansea was perfect.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

The Boulevard project on 11:20 - Apr 19 with 782 viewsstonedroller

The Boulevard project on 11:09 - Apr 19 by Jackfath

The new Quadrant? Where is that then? How the hell can you afford £7 per day for buses? Part of the problem is the people walking round in the weekdays. Scruffy smelly people wearing clothes that need a good wash as do they. No pride in themselves or their city.

I decided to leave my car down cornwall and come home by train hence why I'm using the buses, I meant the quadrant bus station fath. The lc2 pool was a great laugh too. All cities have their unwashed, try walking down the main posh streets in London, littered wth beggars and bums. Don't see what u expect fath.
The Boulevard project on 11:41 - Apr 19 with 756 viewsJackfath

The Boulevard project on 11:20 - Apr 19 by stonedroller

I decided to leave my car down cornwall and come home by train hence why I'm using the buses, I meant the quadrant bus station fath. The lc2 pool was a great laugh too. All cities have their unwashed, try walking down the main posh streets in London, littered wth beggars and bums. Don't see what u expect fath.

Undoubtedly all cities have their share of bums.

Swansea, I believe is unique in the UK as to its location with a sweeping natural bay. The main attraction to our city and surrounds, believe it or not is the "Outstanding Natural Beauty" bestowed on us in 1956, some 58 years ago.

Since then the council has not developed Swansea City into a gateway to this area in any way whatsoever. The World famous Mumbles train was closed in 1960 to make way for motorised buses. Society now looks for ways of getting people off roads and into other forms of "green" transport - why hasn't the council developed this? Why invest in a hair brained scheme for bendy buses and a boulevard? That money could have gone some way to setting up a unique and forward looking scheme to compliment the area and encourage investment.

Our esteemed planners do not seem to recognise the one thing that sets Swansea apart from all other UK cities and view it as an opportunity to develop. Frankly I find it an absolute disgrace and something which future generations will find utterly incomprehensible.

The Boulevard project on 11:44 - Apr 19 with 749 viewsDarran

You in their right mind would design a road system where you have to go up Mansel Street first to go to the Grand Theatre car park for the city centre.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024