Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club 12:48 - Apr 21 with 4706 viewsSpratty

It is brilliant to win away from home at any time. It is fantastic that we are now all but safe and any win is great so well done to the team on a massively important win. As I have maintained all along we were highly unlikely to go down under Laudrup and with the quality in our team neither should we be going down under Monk (although scrapping survival would be a poor result).

Last year we also beat Newcastle away

This year we beat Newcastle at home — Let’s compare the 2 Newcastle games this year, one under a manager we unceremoniously dumped as not fit, the other under his preferred replacement.
Consider also if relief is an objective enough emotion to choose our next manager on.

Newcastle Home — 4th Dec
- We won 3 — 0
- This was our 4th game in a week and a half
- Bony, Michu and Angel Rangel were all out injured and Leon benched returning from injury
- Newcastle had won their last 4 games on the bounce (including Chelsea and Spurs) conceding only 2 goals in all 4 games. In top form, had reached their highest position in the PL this season (5th) and a mere 1 point from 2nd Place in the PL.
[Canas and Poz both played and Poz assisted 2 goals]

Newcastle Away — 19th April
- We won 2 - 1
- This was our 3rd game in 3 weeks
- Newcastle scored 1st — their first goal in 5 games. Our winner an injury time penalty.
- Newcastle had lost their last 4 games on the bounce and had not managed to score a single goal in any of those games (in which they conceded 10 goals). They were in thier worst form of the season.

So whilst it is brilliant to win and the points are sorely needed — let’s keep a sense of balance.

The home game also typifies the massive key injuries and massively congested fixture list our previous manager was coping with in ongoing mode; whilst still keeping us on track for PL survival and keeping the FA Cup and European dream alive. Would we not want his replacement to be achieving more?

Considering the major impact Poz had on the reverse fixture and other games. I still ask why he has not once featured in the PL under Monk. Canas is also now being omitted even from the bench. Despite his limited appearances Poz has the 2nd highest assists in the whole team this season.
The fact that Pabs has the most assists despite his long injury — tells its own story re player quality

Monk is now achieving 2/3rds of the PL points achieved in last years like for like fixtures *

However pre Monk we were achieving at 96% - despite massive key injuries, a 50% more congested fixture list and winning additional games to keep us in Europe and the FA Cup

If we ignore game difficulty Monk is achieving on straight average fractionally over 1 point per game

pre monk the straight average was 1 point per game (not including the wins in the FA Cup and Europa)

We achieved more points in the reverse fixtures this year — despite all the injuries and additional games

In fact if you factor in all competitive games played rather than just PL, Laudrup earned the equivalent of 45 points out of 37 games, Monk 13 points out of 14 games. The difference between:
- Comfortable mid-table finish with massive key injuries and an average of 50% more fixtures a month
- Vs relegation form with a fully fit team and much more time between fixtures.

If Laudrup was no longer right (such that we were willing to most likely have to shell out millions in compensation) then we should be looking to upgrade. We should not be gambling the future of our club on a punt or sentiment. An inexperienced and tactically naive trainee does not cut it IMHO and his inside knowledge and involvement in what went before could be a distinct problem in obtaining unity and a fresh start.

As others have said it should be best person for the job, not jobs for the boys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Despite Ian’s claims that last years like for like is a poor measure. It is in fact a standard statistical measure looking at how we did in the same games last year, one of the most common types of uses of comparative statistics. Of course this will vary on the standard of teams from year to year however over a significant number of games (as have now been played under both regimes) these will largely smooth themselves out and, unlike straight average points per game (which does not differentiate game difficulty between Man City and Fulham for e.g.) makes allowance for how we have fared against these teams previously.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 12:50 - Apr 21 with 3680 viewsDarran

Bore off.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:35 - Apr 21 with 3572 viewsIAN05

I'm not going to bother with your pointless comparison of two games with two different sides, played at different times of the season and at different grounds as if I'm honest it is all a little pointless and embarrassing.

I'm terms of your comparative game analysis, I don't care if it is a common way of comparing stats. That is one of the main reasons why most chose to ignore stats or take them for what they are worth ( which is not alot). In order for any test to be valid, there needs to be consistency in what you are measuring. In this case, pretty much, the only common denominator is that the names of the club are the same - not a valid comparison for any test. Would be better off comparing apples and oranges.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:36 - Apr 21 with 3564 viewsLeonisGod

lol. Let's pick one of our best performances under Laudrup this season to have a dig at Garry.

I know, lets pick another team. Cardiff. Go and compare those two performances and see what conclusion you come to.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:37 - Apr 21 with 3558 viewsDarran

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:35 - Apr 21 by IAN05

I'm not going to bother with your pointless comparison of two games with two different sides, played at different times of the season and at different grounds as if I'm honest it is all a little pointless and embarrassing.

I'm terms of your comparative game analysis, I don't care if it is a common way of comparing stats. That is one of the main reasons why most chose to ignore stats or take them for what they are worth ( which is not alot). In order for any test to be valid, there needs to be consistency in what you are measuring. In this case, pretty much, the only common denominator is that the names of the club are the same - not a valid comparison for any test. Would be better off comparing apples and oranges.

Pitiful isn't it?

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:39 - Apr 21 with 3549 viewsIAN05

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:37 - Apr 21 by Darran

Pitiful isn't it?

Initially thought he was a wind up, but surely someone wouldn't put as much effort as he does into a wind up ?
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:40 - Apr 21 with 3544 viewsDarran

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:39 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Initially thought he was a wind up, but surely someone wouldn't put as much effort as he does into a wind up ?

It's very sad he's clearly got a crush on Michael.

You've got a PM too.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:47 - Apr 21 with 3521 viewsAngelRangelQS

Can someone please just ban this boring c*nt?
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:48 - Apr 21 with 3517 viewsDewi1jack

I thought all these ML supporters had gone or got over it by now.
It's no good living life in the past. Things change, people change.
Except for the OP.
Move on FFS

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:51 - Apr 21 with 3504 viewsDarran

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:47 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

In thinking about it.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:51 - Apr 21 with 3503 viewsTheFranchise

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:47 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

If this post gets a +10 rating, I will
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:52 - Apr 21 with 3500 viewsAngelRangelQS

Oh and also in comparing all competitive fixtures then you are including two games against poor championship standard sides like Malmo, the Romanian lot, Birmingham (one of which we lost) and Kraznador.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:59 - Apr 21 with 3466 viewsyescomeon

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:36 - Apr 21 by LeonisGod

lol. Let's pick one of our best performances under Laudrup this season to have a dig at Garry.

I know, lets pick another team. Cardiff. Go and compare those two performances and see what conclusion you come to.

Good point well made

Upthecity!

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:05 - Apr 21 with 3433 viewsairedale

I can't help thinking that there are quite a lot of people out there, waiting for us to get relegated just so they can say 'Ha! that's what you get for sacking our hero!'
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:25 - Apr 21 with 3370 viewsSpratty

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:35 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Think that is far from true - but if it comforts you

You do understand how pervasively stats are used, in government planning, the media, large and successful organisations. Of course there are always variables but you will find if you compare as far as possible like with like, it is far more accurate than random selection e.g. treateing playing Man City the same as Fulham.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:28 - Apr 21 with 3349 viewsAngelRangelQS

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:25 - Apr 21 by Spratty

You do understand how pervasively stats are used, in government planning, the media, large and successful organisations. Of course there are always variables but you will find if you compare as far as possible like with like, it is far more accurate than random selection e.g. treateing playing Man City the same as Fulham.

I don't understand what you are trying to prove mate.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:29 - Apr 21 with 3342 viewsBrynmill_Jack

So that's why the world's f*cked then, the use of statistics.
Statistically speaking both Man City and Chelsea should have mullered Sunderland but reality isn't quite like that.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 14:30]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 3328 viewsSpratty

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:36 - Apr 21 by LeonisGod

No I was picking them because it is Newcastle that we have just played and people seemed to be getting carried away that it was a world class achievement.

I will happily do a comparison on any match we play if you wish or go back to Cardiff - but if I recall they were not on top form when we won - in fact they were struggling badly. Nearly as badly as West Brom.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:35 - Apr 21 with 3319 viewsmonmouth

Jesus wept. Utterly pathetic and extremely sad. Actually quite close to be genuinely disturbing.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:36 - Apr 21 with 3313 viewsIAN05

Interestingly. My job involves using statistical data to spot trends, weaknesses, strengths and providing solutions through Training, investment , performance management etc for an organisation whose success or failure is determined by strong data collection. I see stats presented in so many ways by so many people and pretty much all are able to 'prove' what the individual wants them to prove.

The first question we always ask is ' were the conditions for the test consistent and fair, using the same denominators ' ? If not does the report consider the inconsistencies and the impact this has had on the outcome.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:37 - Apr 21 with 3315 viewsAngelRangelQS

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:31 - Apr 21 by Spratty

No I was picking them because it is Newcastle that we have just played and people seemed to be getting carried away that it was a world class achievement.

I will happily do a comparison on any match we play if you wish or go back to Cardiff - but if I recall they were not on top form when we won - in fact they were struggling badly. Nearly as badly as West Brom.

And they were on fire when we lost at Legoland in November weren't they?
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:40 - Apr 21 with 3297 viewsdan_swansea

Can't people just enjoy a fantastic win?

Poll: Safe standing; what's your thoughts?

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:41 - Apr 21 with 3287 viewsSpratty

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:29 - Apr 21 by Brynmill_Jack

So that's why the world's f*cked then, the use of statistics.
Statistically speaking both Man City and Chelsea should have mullered Sunderland but reality isn't quite like that.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 14:30]

Of course not and that is why stats are indicative of trends not absolute. That is why I spoke of smooting over a significant number of games.

That is how bookies stay in business because the longshot rarely wins

The effect you quote is interesting though because it brings in one of the variable which is increased motivation in danger of relegation. This should really kick in with teams like us who have the skill, so should be an additional motivator for us currently.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:42 - Apr 21 with 3277 views100onZero

Comparing like with like? So you did this with Newcastle but refuse to do it with Cardiff. Just shows your full of sh1t mate.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:50 - Apr 21 with 3239 viewsImAlrightJack

Let's all vote if we want to see this t-o-s-s-e-r BANNED!!!

VOTE YES!!- Ban the tw*t!
NOTE NO!!- Cut him some slack, he's only thick
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:54 - Apr 21 with 3220 viewsIAN05

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:50 - Apr 21 by ImAlrightJack

Let's all vote if we want to see this t-o-s-s-e-r BANNED!!!

VOTE YES!!- Ban the tw*t!
NOTE NO!!- Cut him some slack, he's only thick

I wouldn't ban him in honesty. He is entitled to an opinion, even if it is very Laudrup-obsessed. He always seem to put his point across politely as well in fairness.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024