Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitarists "Old Guitars" 07:50 - Apr 23 with 13500 viewsGretsch

Whilst I would love a 59 Les Paul Burst or a 1962 Strat, a little out of my league.

I have a Gretsch White Falcon (obviously I suppose), strats, telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul, and a few others bits and pieces, but always wanted a real vintage guitar from the year I was born 1960.

A 1960 Hofner Colorama 2 was what I got, bit battered but all original. Didn't cost too much, and plays well.

What old guitars you got out there.
Guitarists on 09:11 - Apr 24 with 2694 viewsCottsy

Not exactly an old guitar but if anyone sees this guitar around let me know because I want it.

I very nearly had it but the staff at Crane's wouldn't put it to one side for me while I went to get the money and when I went back a couple of days later is was gone.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 09:23 - Apr 24 with 2691 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 08:47 - Apr 24 by rob

I have a 1980 Ibanes artist 335 copy, stunning guitar, better than any Gibson 335 I have played.

A mate has an Ibanez George Benson (amazing guitarist for those who don't know...) limited edition. Worth a bomb now - a beaut.

Brinsley Schwartz is the guitar tech at Chandler's up the road from me. A dangerous place to visit - had a 30s National Steel for sale for £3k last time I was there and more vintage gear than you could shake a plectrum at.

Anyone tried the Line 6 stuff? I played one of their James Tyler guitars and was very impressed.
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 09:56 - Apr 24 with 2679 viewsGretsch

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 09:23 - Apr 24 by WarwickHunt

A mate has an Ibanez George Benson (amazing guitarist for those who don't know...) limited edition. Worth a bomb now - a beaut.

Brinsley Schwartz is the guitar tech at Chandler's up the road from me. A dangerous place to visit - had a 30s National Steel for sale for £3k last time I was there and more vintage gear than you could shake a plectrum at.

Anyone tried the Line 6 stuff? I played one of their James Tyler guitars and was very impressed.

I fancy a Variax.

Remeber seeing The Hollies play at the Grand (they were great to be honest), and the guitarist didnt have pick ups on his guitar and I remember thinking weird, but thats what it was an sounded good too.
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:06 - Apr 24 with 2669 viewsLord_Bony

Isn't that the guy off the Double Deckers?aswad

Don t know about guitars butline 6 Amps-rock. Bought a bass combo recently of theirs Gamblins Cardiff wanted over £600 for it..
Got it from Thomann online for under £300!

If you want ANYTHING music wise buy off these guys,brilliant service and the best prices anywhere...but I bet a lot of you know this already...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:10 - Apr 24 with 2662 viewsDarran

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:06 - Apr 24 by Lord_Bony

Isn't that the guy off the Double Deckers?aswad

Don t know about guitars butline 6 Amps-rock. Bought a bass combo recently of theirs Gamblins Cardiff wanted over £600 for it..
Got it from Thomann online for under £300!

If you want ANYTHING music wise buy off these guys,brilliant service and the best prices anywhere...but I bet a lot of you know this already...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Dear God.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:12 - Apr 24 with 2661 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 09:56 - Apr 24 by Gretsch

I fancy a Variax.

Remeber seeing The Hollies play at the Grand (they were great to be honest), and the guitarist didnt have pick ups on his guitar and I remember thinking weird, but thats what it was an sounded good too.

They've got the modelling pretty spot on now with virtually zero latency and the Tylers are very well made.
Get a Line 6 amp and the world's your lobster, Terence.

Love the tuning changes at the flick of a switch.
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:15 - Apr 24 with 2649 viewsperchrockjack

Like to join this thread but I d look a d1ckead

..........leaves goal unattended

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:18 - Apr 24 with 2649 viewsLord_Bony

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:10 - Apr 24 by Darran

Dear God.

Sorry that's Brinsley Forde..

I ll get me coat...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Login to get fewer ads

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:23 - Apr 24 with 2639 viewsGretsch

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:12 - Apr 24 by WarwickHunt

They've got the modelling pretty spot on now with virtually zero latency and the Tylers are very well made.
Get a Line 6 amp and the world's your lobster, Terence.

Love the tuning changes at the flick of a switch.

Latley I have been playing through Amplitube on my Ipad, it is awesome. I am playing it through a PA in my attic though.

Got a Peavey Classic Valve amp, but hardly us it and I can get it down the stairs these days, to use as an alternative downstairs.
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:25 - Apr 24 with 2631 viewsperchrockjack

I ordered a Breedlove Oregon from the States while there and when delivered was happy with it until the bottom e started buzzing when plucked unfretted. I put it down to my playing style which is heavy and hamfisted. Local luthier adjusted truss rod and a few things and its fine but reckons Breedlove frets ate appalling. American dealer disagrees .
BETTER TO JUST PLAY THE FECK THING

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:28 - Apr 24 with 2624 viewsGretsch

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:25 - Apr 24 by perchrockjack

I ordered a Breedlove Oregon from the States while there and when delivered was happy with it until the bottom e started buzzing when plucked unfretted. I put it down to my playing style which is heavy and hamfisted. Local luthier adjusted truss rod and a few things and its fine but reckons Breedlove frets ate appalling. American dealer disagrees .
BETTER TO JUST PLAY THE FECK THING

Aye but that Buzzing is bloody annoying.
Guitarists on 12:28 - Apr 24 with 2599 viewsstonedroller

Guitarists on 07:54 - Apr 24 by Lord_Bony

If you know anyone interested gents I have for sale a fret less bass.one of the first I ever bought about 30 yrs ago.hardly used.

Westone Thunder 1A Fretless Bass. Active pickups,maple,really nice sound and action.
If anyone fancies a challenge ! Price £110 Ono.

am liking that, have always wanted to play a fretless, are they hard to play compared to fretted? like are there markings showing where the fret would have been or just the standard dots?
Guitarists on 12:31 - Apr 24 with 2597 viewsLohengrin

Guitarists on 07:30 - Apr 24 by Gretsch

Nice. Is that yours or is it in a glass case.

Is it a country gentleman, was thinking of getting one before the White Falcon

That's the Cochran signature model 6120. Rockabilly Heaven!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Guitarists on 12:51 - Apr 24 with 2587 viewsLord_Bony

Guitarists on 12:28 - Apr 24 by stonedroller

am liking that, have always wanted to play a fretless, are they hard to play compared to fretted? like are there markings showing where the fret would have been or just the standard dots?

Yes there are standard dot markings on the neck,but you do have to be accurate in your playing as obviously if it s not bang on then it will be sharp or flat. Best played sitting with a little bit of chorus and compression in the mix.

The only problem I'm ever had with a Fretless is playing with live musicians in proper gigs.if you re playing onstage and you have to sing it s difficult because you dare nt take your eyes off the neck and it requires a lot more concentration than a fretted instrument.

But for all that it s still a nice sound and a very rewarding guitar to master.

I only got it so I could play this bass line by my fave bass player Cardiffs very own Pino Palladino,this track on Paul Youngs "Wherever I lay my Hat" demonstrates what give this instrument soul and makes it stand out from a fretted bass in the right hands..

[Post edited 24 Apr 2014 13:29]

Guitarists on 13:15 - Apr 24 with 2570 viewsDarran

Guitarists on 12:51 - Apr 24 by Lord_Bony

Yes there are standard dot markings on the neck,but you do have to be accurate in your playing as obviously if it s not bang on then it will be sharp or flat. Best played sitting with a little bit of chorus and compression in the mix.

The only problem I'm ever had with a Fretless is playing with live musicians in proper gigs.if you re playing onstage and you have to sing it s difficult because you dare nt take your eyes off the neck and it requires a lot more concentration than a fretted instrument.

But for all that it s still a nice sound and a very rewarding guitar to master.

I only got it so I could play this bass line by my fave bass player Cardiffs very own Pino Palladino,this track on Paul Youngs "Wherever I lay my Hat" demonstrates what give this instrument soul and makes it stand out from a fretted bass in the right hands..

[Post edited 24 Apr 2014 13:29]

Pino had a lovely reception down the Liberty when Townsend announced he was from Cardiff.

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 13:27 - Apr 24 with 2564 viewsLord_Bony

I bet he had a warm welcome.

Also loved his work with Don Henley of The Eagles.

Guitarists on 14:38 - Apr 24 with 2542 viewsZut_Alors

Guitarists on 20:39 - Apr 23 by Lohengrin

The Loar do a nice line in Parlour Guitars. Good tone and won't break the bank, mate.

Great stuff. Nice one, Lohengrin.
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 22:52 - Apr 24 with 2506 viewsbluenile

Hate to say it but I have an original late 1970's Ibanez George Benson in Natural colour, complete with original hard case and all the original hang tags..............god I sound so anal...............

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 23:53 - Apr 24 with 2500 viewsstonedroller

there's this dodgy looking little junk shop called 'kudos' i think, in St Ives, was in there the other week and there were these shitty looking old guitars for like over £10,000 just what makes them so valuable?
Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 00:36 - Apr 25 with 2487 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ron Wood's "stay with me" guitar

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 2466 viewsGowerjack

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 23:53 - Apr 24 by stonedroller

there's this dodgy looking little junk shop called 'kudos' i think, in St Ives, was in there the other week and there were these shitty looking old guitars for like over £10,000 just what makes them so valuable?

I holiday in St Ives every October.

Those guitars have been hanging up in that little shop exposed to all sorts of changes in temperature and humidity for at least 5 years to my knowledge.

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I addition the guy that runs it is clearly a chancer and has dramatically overpriced them looking to hook an unsuspecting foolish tourist.

it's a great little town though, great beer great surf great food...I loves it!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 10:16 - Apr 25 with 2451 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 22:52 - Apr 24 by bluenile

Hate to say it but I have an original late 1970's Ibanez George Benson in Natural colour, complete with original hard case and all the original hang tags..............god I sound so anal...............

I think there was a limited edition around that time - same period as my mate's.
There's a new version available now but the sound reflects his newer style rather than the straight jazz sound of the original.

You don't have a Gibson Super 400 going cheap do ya?

Steamin' rhythm section - Jack DeJohnette and Ron Carter. Niiiiiiice....

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 12:46 - Apr 25 with 2426 viewsllangyfelach

I don't play guitar, but have loved this thread.

Plus I want it put on record that I think George Benson is f*cking ace

Thank you, and good afternoon

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 13:20 - Apr 25 with 2416 viewspansypants

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 12:46 - Apr 25 by llangyfelach

I've also enjoyed this thread and would ask the experts on here on how much is my "Fisher Price '81" wind up guitar worth? It is the "Round and Rond the Mulberry Bush" version

Thank you and see you on Antiques Road show soon.

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 13:28 - Apr 25 with 2411 viewsDarran

Guitarists "Old Guitars" on 12:46 - Apr 25 by llangyfelach

I don't play guitar either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024