Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 102799 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 22:14 - Aug 16 with 1713 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 22:10 - Aug 16 by dcd14

Doing a TT with a hybrid is no easy feat!

No problem, may see you then. Names Dean BTW.

Neil, nice to meet you.
One for the cyclists here... on 22:21 - Aug 16 with 1706 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 22:14 - Aug 16 by Pacemaker

Jackfath is the best shopper/researcher he was all over eBay and gumtree in your price range and paid a little bit more but had a bargain eventually.

I worry about Carbon frames as they are quite delicate compared to aluminium or alloy frames I have a alloy frame with carbon forks so have no experience of carbon bikes as such. I am sure the Bynea TT boys will give you plenty of advice.

They have been great and have given loads of advice, now i'm going to be a nuisance but have to ask, the giant defy 4 I can get for around £275, This is the desciption any advice greatly appreciated.

Giant defy 4 large
Had this bike since January of this year but have decided to upgrade so this one is up for grabs.........

Large size but reduced sized stem for easier reach.
I am 5'11 and it's just right
Giants own Aluxx aluminium compact design frame. Very comfortable for all day in the saddle riding.
Carbon forks to take away that road buzz
Some extras ......
New bottom bracket installed April this year
New front wheel bearings recently replaced
New rear derailleur
Michelin pro4 sc tyres put in in march this year
New Clarks blocks/pads. Only 6 weeks old.
New KMC chain and sram 11-28 cassette replaced in May
Deda zero 80mm stem put on in April
Original handlebars replaced with FSA omega compact bars.
The handlebars have been double wrapped in tape for extra comfort. Lizard skin underneath with deda tape over the top.....extremely comfortable now.

Thanks very much
One for the cyclists here... on 22:29 - Aug 16 with 1700 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 22:21 - Aug 16 by 1jack

They have been great and have given loads of advice, now i'm going to be a nuisance but have to ask, the giant defy 4 I can get for around £275, This is the desciption any advice greatly appreciated.

Giant defy 4 large
Had this bike since January of this year but have decided to upgrade so this one is up for grabs.........

Large size but reduced sized stem for easier reach.
I am 5'11 and it's just right
Giants own Aluxx aluminium compact design frame. Very comfortable for all day in the saddle riding.
Carbon forks to take away that road buzz
Some extras ......
New bottom bracket installed April this year
New front wheel bearings recently replaced
New rear derailleur
Michelin pro4 sc tyres put in in march this year
New Clarks blocks/pads. Only 6 weeks old.
New KMC chain and sram 11-28 cassette replaced in May
Deda zero 80mm stem put on in April
Original handlebars replaced with FSA omega compact bars.
The handlebars have been double wrapped in tape for extra comfort. Lizard skin underneath with deda tape over the top.....extremely comfortable now.

Thanks very much

Sounds like its been looked after. I have a Giant Defy and it's a great bike.

Go for it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 22:35 - Aug 16 with 1691 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 22:29 - Aug 16 by Jackfath

Sounds like its been looked after. I have a Giant Defy and it's a great bike.

Go for it.

Cheers JF, my instinct is telling me to go for the giant, so i think that's what i'll do.
Motd now
One for the cyclists here... on 23:36 - Aug 17 with 1639 viewsdcd14

One for the cyclists here... on 22:35 - Aug 16 by 1jack

Cheers JF, my instinct is telling me to go for the giant, so i think that's what i'll do.
Motd now

I'd go for the Giant at that price.

Just check the frame sizing chart and do the deal :)
One for the cyclists here... on 08:14 - Aug 18 with 1612 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 23:36 - Aug 17 by dcd14

I'd go for the Giant at that price.

Just check the frame sizing chart and do the deal :)

Got the bike last night. £285 in the end but well happy, bike is 7 months old needs a new cable but that's it, out for a jaunt later.
Cheers all for the advice, much appreciated.
One for the cyclists here... on 18:45 - Aug 27 with 1540 viewsmax936

Stay off Strava for a while folks, apparently thievies are tracking rides and getting peeps addresses and breaking into Sheds, Garages and helping themselves to the bikes, was told yesterday about a fella in work who has had his 4,1/2grand Santa Cruz custom bike nicked from his garage after ripping the door off.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 19:00 - Aug 27 with 1535 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 18:45 - Aug 27 by max936

Stay off Strava for a while folks, apparently thievies are tracking rides and getting peeps addresses and breaking into Sheds, Garages and helping themselves to the bikes, was told yesterday about a fella in work who has had his 4,1/2grand Santa Cruz custom bike nicked from his garage after ripping the door off.

Cheers max

There's an options to load privacy onto your strava account. It then starts & finishes your ride at a random spot 2 miles away from home

There's some bastards about!

Be over there now after

Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 19:16 - Aug 27 with 1529 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 19:00 - Aug 27 by orion3016

Cheers max

There's an options to load privacy onto your strava account. It then starts & finishes your ride at a random spot 2 miles away from home

There's some bastards about!

No worrys, I'll take a look for that, Ta.

One for the cyclists here... on 19:34 - Aug 27 with 1526 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 19:16 - Aug 27 by max936

No worrys, I'll take a look for that, Ta.

Do it via settings
Select privacy from left side menu
Enter your postcode

How's the thumb?
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 19:34]

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 19:55 - Aug 27 with 1520 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 19:34 - Aug 27 by orion3016

Do it via settings
Select privacy from left side menu
Enter your postcode

How's the thumb?
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 19:34]

Orite still a bit swollen and stiff but not to bad, went back to work yday, its like I've never been away been back out on the bike though up to Glyncorrwg and Blaengwynfi twice 28mile round trips, so its a start, my training route the Foel is closed till November now though for tree felling, bloody marvellous.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:07 - Aug 27 with 1514 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 19:55 - Aug 27 by max936

Orite still a bit swollen and stiff but not to bad, went back to work yday, its like I've never been away been back out on the bike though up to Glyncorrwg and Blaengwynfi twice 28mile round trips, so its a start, my training route the Foel is closed till November now though for tree felling, bloody marvellous.

They've been doing that for 3 years with us, all over the beacons. Tree fungus apparently it's rife in South Wales. No longer sheltered from the wind but the views are spectacular

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 20:27 - Aug 27 with 1509 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:07 - Aug 27 by orion3016

They've been doing that for 3 years with us, all over the beacons. Tree fungus apparently it's rife in South Wales. No longer sheltered from the wind but the views are spectacular

Gonna make the climb to the top of the Foel a bit harder, coming down is gonna be a bit more hairier to

One for the cyclists here... on 20:50 - Aug 27 with 1506 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 20:27 - Aug 27 by max936

Gonna make the climb to the top of the Foel a bit harder, coming down is gonna be a bit more hairier to

Next time I take my bike over afan I'm going to have to ride this famous foel

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 21:51 - Aug 27 with 1497 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:50 - Aug 27 by orion3016

Will have to be after November.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:51 - Aug 27 with 1496 viewsrob

One for the cyclists here... on 20:50 - Aug 27 by orion3016

Strava thinks I live in Afan anyway! Quite correct though, that's the only think that bothers me after forking it out small fortune on my Santa Cruz, is having it stolen or bike jacked!
One for the cyclists here... on 21:52 - Aug 27 with 1495 viewsdickythorpe

The only Foel max is on is Felinfoel!!!
One for the cyclists here... on 22:45 - Aug 27 with 1489 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 21:52 - Aug 27 by dickythorpe

The only Foel max is on is Felinfoel!!!

Get down the Pilot and have a couple of pints of Mumbles Breweries Revolver lovely stuff.
Was down the Greyhound in Llanridian on Monday had a pint of their Gold, awful that's twice I had it down there and its been the same, drank it elsewhere and its been lovely, I can't work it out, unless its because other pubs serve it chilled.

One for the cyclists here... on 19:08 - Sep 2 with 1453 viewsorion3016

Did a 100 miler today down to swansea & round a bit of the gower. Riding along swansea bay could have been somewhere on the med today it was absolutely stunning. Lots of road bikers to wind up and tell them that it's easy riding one of them!

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 19:39 - Sep 2 with 1440 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 19:08 - Sep 2 by orion3016

Did a 100 miler today down to swansea & round a bit of the gower. Riding along swansea bay could have been somewhere on the med today it was absolutely stunning. Lots of road bikers to wind up and tell them that it's easy riding one of them!

Haven't been out since a week last friday, Im afraid to say that Im slipping back into bad habits, I need to get a grip and the sooner the better.

One for the cyclists here... on 19:53 - Sep 2 with 1422 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 19:39 - Sep 2 by max936

Haven't been out since a week last friday, Im afraid to say that Im slipping back into bad habits, I need to get a grip and the sooner the better.

Sort it out Max.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:01 - Sep 2 with 1418 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 19:08 - Sep 2 by orion3016

I left work today and took the long route home down to St Brides, Southerndown , Ogmore, Merthyr Mawr, Porthcawl and back through Kenfig Pool it was gorgeous just about 30 miles or so, on my Road bike Rob cos I am a bit of a softy.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:25 - Sep 2 with 1406 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 20:01 - Sep 2 by Pacemaker

I left work today and took the long route home down to St Brides, Southerndown , Ogmore, Merthyr Mawr, Porthcawl and back through Kenfig Pool it was gorgeous just about 30 miles or so, on my Road bike Rob cos I am a bit of a softy.

Sorry lee couldn't resist - just a joke mate. Had a few laughs with you Lycra boys! Cracking day for it

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 20:34 - Sep 2 with 1396 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:25 - Sep 2 by orion3016

Sorry lee couldn't resist - just a joke mate. Had a few laughs with you Lycra boys! Cracking day for it

I was out at 6am and it was bracing in my shorts not many out on MTB then I can see the leggings coming out soon, hoping to ride through the winter to keep the fitness up, the hard tail has had a few outings recently but only riding on the road to get up to Afan.

I did ride it to work once 35 mile round trip which was enough for me, 100miles would have left me in a mess, that is just about my limit on the road bike.

I would recommend the Foel climb but it is probably a bit short for you and it is at the bottom of the valley, the DH is quite good on either side, it's all on Strava.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:59 - Sep 2 with 1369 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 20:34 - Sep 2 by Pacemaker

I was out at 6am and it was bracing in my shorts not many out on MTB then I can see the leggings coming out soon, hoping to ride through the winter to keep the fitness up, the hard tail has had a few outings recently but only riding on the road to get up to Afan.

I did ride it to work once 35 mile round trip which was enough for me, 100miles would have left me in a mess, that is just about my limit on the road bike.

I would recommend the Foel climb but it is probably a bit short for you and it is at the bottom of the valley, the DH is quite good on either side, it's all on Strava.

When I left at 8.00 it was showing 57deg Fahrenheit on garmin luckily I only had a t shirt as it was 81 on the Gower although not sure how accurate garmins are with temperature

Max mentions the foel a few times, will have a look on strava.

Be over there now after

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024