Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 103228 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:26 - Jun 29 with 2581 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:23 - Jun 29 by max936

I've had to put up with an annoying clinking sound this afternoon, turns out it was a bit of crud in the gearing, just give the lot a good clean and rinse problem solved.

What about your spoke protector?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:39 - Jun 29 with 2577 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:26 - Jun 29 by Jackfath

What about your spoke protector?

Its attached to the spokes on the wheel so its independent of the gearing cassette.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2014 20:39]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 20:40 - Jun 29 with 2572 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:39 - Jun 29 by max936

Its attached to the spokes on the wheel so its independent of the gearing cassette.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2014 20:39]

Mine is just spinning on its own, not attached to anything. I think it may be broken and rubbing on one of the spokes as it passes it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:50 - Jun 29 with 2560 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:40 - Jun 29 by Jackfath

Mine is just spinning on its own, not attached to anything. I think it may be broken and rubbing on one of the spokes as it passes it.

Just checked my other bike and the one on that is clipped in to the wheel hub, it moves a bit within the confines of two spokes, its got plastic pins that seem to clip in tight to the hub.
Perhaps yours is the same and the pins have broken off.?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:53 - Jun 29 with 2559 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:50 - Jun 29 by max936

Just checked my other bike and the one on that is clipped in to the wheel hub, it moves a bit within the confines of two spokes, its got plastic pins that seem to clip in tight to the hub.
Perhaps yours is the same and the pins have broken off.?

Yep I think this is the diagnosis. Looking up the problem, many say just take it off, others say you need them. Haven't got a chain whip to get the cassette off so may take a side cutters to it and hack it off.....

One for the cyclists here... on 20:58 - Jun 29 with 2555 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:40 - Jun 29 by Jackfath

I don't have a spoke protector on my road bike, it was never fitted with one. It is supposed to stop the chain dropping off the biggest cog and locking up/breaking your spokes. I

f you have correctly indexed your gears and the stop screws then there is very little chance of the chain jumping off.

I think bikes have to have them fitted by consumer protection laws like reflectors etc.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:02 - Jun 29 with 2553 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:53 - Jun 29 by Jackfath

Yep I think this is the diagnosis. Looking up the problem, many say just take it off, others say you need them. Haven't got a chain whip to get the cassette off so may take a side cutters to it and hack it off.....

I'd take the wheel off and the cassette and check it out, if it is broken I'd look to replacing it, last thing you want is for somin to break and snag the wheel, it would be quite costly to replace the wheel, plus it could cause you to hava nasty bump, not worth it JF, take it a bike shop and ask their advice, shouldn't be that expensive a job, I wouldn't have thought.

One for the cyclists here... on 23:18 - Jun 29 with 2528 views1jack

This cycling don't half make you hungry though.
Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 06:36 - Jun 30 with 2512 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 23:18 - Jun 29 by 1jack

This cycling don't half make you hungry though.

You got to feed the machine🚵

Eat more when your on the bike you don't eat the fridge when you come home then......usually.

One for the cyclists here... on 07:43 - Jun 30 with 2503 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 06:36 - Jun 30 by Pacemaker

You got to feed the machine🚵

Eat more when your on the bike you don't eat the fridge when you come home then......usually.

I'll try that as I do eat the fridge when I get home.
Cheers.
Fao llangyfelach on 13:08 - Jun 30 with 2477 views1jack

How are you getting on?
One for the cyclists here... on 18:26 - Jul 2 with 2428 viewscsf

Got my bike back after a prolonged stay getting fixed. Only did a short commute to the school but loved being back in the saddle and going uphill without panicking my gears would slip was great.

Just figuring some local routes out to get myself back into the regular ride swing of things.
One for the cyclists here... on 23:31 - Jul 2 with 2405 viewsDarran

Don't forget to wear a helmet guys accidents can happen.
Be safe everyone.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

One for the cyclists here... on 07:30 - Jul 3 with 2374 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 23:31 - Jul 2 by Darran

Don't forget to wear a helmet guys accidents can happen.
Be safe everyone.

Yeah just heard about Max sounds like it was a v good job he was wearing a helmet. Could have been a lot worse.

Was that your porter mate giving you inside info again Darren

Get well soon Max.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2014 7:32]

One for the cyclists here... on 08:43 - Jul 3 with 2350 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 07:30 - Jul 3 by Pacemaker

Yeah just heard about Max sounds like it was a v good job he was wearing a helmet. Could have been a lot worse.

Was that your porter mate giving you inside info again Darren

Get well soon Max.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2014 7:32]

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3335923.htm

seems a good price. I know it's argos but it should be ok.
One for the cyclists here... on 10:59 - Jul 3 with 2331 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 08:43 - Jul 3 by 1jack

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3335923.htm

seems a good price. I know it's argos but it should be ok.

I bought one of them but took it back, it was far to flumsy, get a tidy one, it saved me from a serious bump to the head last night, and the helmets broke, so Im glad i wasn't wearing the Argos one, tbh.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2014 11:01]

One for the cyclists here... on 12:08 - Jul 3 with 2313 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 10:59 - Jul 3 by max936

I bought one of them but took it back, it was far to flumsy, get a tidy one, it saved me from a serious bump to the head last night, and the helmets broke, so Im glad i wasn't wearing the Argos one, tbh.

Hope you're ok
Take it easy, but get straight back on it as soon as you can
It's what we do!

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 12:28 - Jul 3 with 2307 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 12:08 - Jul 3 by orion3016

Hope you're ok
Take it easy, but get straight back on it as soon as you can
It's what we do!

I did cheers Rob.

One for the cyclists here... on 17:07 - Jul 3 with 2290 viewscsf

Agree with this. Broke mine a few years back, think my life would be vastly different if I hadn't had the helmet on or not had a decent one.

Max on a side note, have you got the receipt for the broken one? I think some companies give partial refunds for helmets broken in accidents. Got the receipt for mine somewhere after I broke the last one.
One for the cyclists here... on 17:31 - Jul 3 with 2279 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 17:07 - Jul 3 by csf

Agree with this. Broke mine a few years back, think my life would be vastly different if I hadn't had the helmet on or not had a decent one.

Max on a side note, have you got the receipt for the broken one? I think some companies give partial refunds for helmets broken in accidents. Got the receipt for mine somewhere after I broke the last one.

Don't think so csf, I bought it online, but picked it up from Neath Halfords, well the Mrs did, so then again she might have

One for the cyclists here... on 20:23 - Jul 4 with 2228 views1jack

Planning a nice little ride for tomorrow am, up to Tredz in cross hands then on to the botanical gardens and home, should be around 30 miles, looking forward to it.

Yes I am really addicted to this now.
One for the cyclists here... on 22:44 - Jul 4 with 2209 viewsPacemaker

Got my road bike back today after a few problems, Anthony at a Welsh Coast Cycles in Port Talbot did a fine job at a very reasonable price.

Hopefully I can get a couple of miles in tomorrow

One for the cyclists here... on 07:29 - Jul 5 with 2172 viewsDDCH

Read a cracking article on helmets earlier in the year (as cracking as a helmet article can be) the consensus was that if it has a kite mark or euro safety mark there was not a lot between them.

The main thing a more expensive one brought was airflow and comfort.

I was very lucky and got one of the ones they reviewed highly (Abus Aduro) for £13 delivered on one of the Amazon flash sales.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

One for the cyclists here... on 09:11 - Jul 5 with 2153 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 07:29 - Jul 5 by DDCH

Read a cracking article on helmets earlier in the year (as cracking as a helmet article can be) the consensus was that if it has a kite mark or euro safety mark there was not a lot between them.

I was very lucky and got one of the ones they reviewed highly (Abus Aduro) for £13 delivered on one of the Amazon flash sales.

Good show on Sky Sports riding the dales. Basically Sky commentators training to ride a 120 mile stage of TDF route.

Good interview with James Cracknell and how lucky he was to be wearing a helmet when the mirror off a truck hit his head at 70mph. #got to wear a lid.

One for the cyclists here... on 11:09 - Jul 5 with 2134 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 07:29 - Jul 5 by DDCH

Cheers, I've looked at the Halfords site for the same helmet as I've got now, but they must have sold out, I've got plenty of time before I can ride again so I'll keep a look out for another bargain.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024