Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 103144 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:09 - Jul 24 with 3695 viewsC_jack

I might be a bit late to the party here, and I will certainly read the thread through in good time.

But how does a joe like me, who hasn't owned a bike in near 20 years, start in this malarky?

Decided to slowly start training for a triathlon so need something at entry level, whilst reliable.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:55 - Jul 24 with 3679 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:09 - Jul 24 by C_jack

I might be a bit late to the party here, and I will certainly read the thread through in good time.

But how does a joe like me, who hasn't owned a bike in near 20 years, start in this malarky?

Decided to slowly start training for a triathlon so need something at entry level, whilst reliable.

Buy a bike. I bought mine from Gumtree.

Thoroughly enjoying and able to go further and further and faster and faster.....

Good luck and refer back here for some advice from the PS experts!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:58 - Jul 24 with 3678 viewsPacemaker

I can't give any advice other than what I did. I had an old MTB started riding up and down the local cycle path to build up my fitness then got a decent bike on the cycle to work scheme. If you can get into a C2W scheme then you will save about a third off a new bike.

If your fitness levels are good and you know you will be doing Tri on a regular basis then you need to get a decent road bike so might as well splash out first as last, if you are unsure then look at a cheaper bike either second hand or somewhere like Halfords or Decathalon which are both doing deals at the moment, Halfords bikes are not the greatest but I have a Boardman from them and the bike is much better than I am and will prob always be better than me!

Go onto Bike Radar forum you will get a PS effect some will give you good advice others will take the mick.

Minimum in a road bike for Tri is alloy frame, carbon forks, Shimano 105 gears. You are looking at about £1,000 for that, but it would cost you about 60-70 per month for 12 months from your pay.

Jackfath waited and did a lot of research and searched the Web until he had almost the perfect bike at a very good buy second hand, he had to do some small adjustment but he will tell I am sure that he did v well.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:01 - Jul 24 with 3676 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:58 - Jul 24 by Pacemaker

I can't give any advice other than what I did. I had an old MTB started riding up and down the local cycle path to build up my fitness then got a decent bike on the cycle to work scheme. If you can get into a C2W scheme then you will save about a third off a new bike.

If your fitness levels are good and you know you will be doing Tri on a regular basis then you need to get a decent road bike so might as well splash out first as last, if you are unsure then look at a cheaper bike either second hand or somewhere like Halfords or Decathalon which are both doing deals at the moment, Halfords bikes are not the greatest but I have a Boardman from them and the bike is much better than I am and will prob always be better than me!

Go onto Bike Radar forum you will get a PS effect some will give you good advice others will take the mick.

Minimum in a road bike for Tri is alloy frame, carbon forks, Shimano 105 gears. You are looking at about £1,000 for that, but it would cost you about 60-70 per month for 12 months from your pay.

Jackfath waited and did a lot of research and searched the Web until he had almost the perfect bike at a very good buy second hand, he had to do some small adjustment but he will tell I am sure that he did v well.

I loves my bike.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:25 - Jul 24 with 3665 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:09 - Jul 24 by C_jack

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ridley-phaeton-road-bike/1074351441

One for the cyclists here... on 21:43 - Jul 24 with 3661 viewsC_jack

One for the cyclists here... on 20:58 - Jul 24 by Pacemaker

Just something I've always fancied doing. Running on the roads up to 4 days a week so will enjoy the change of medium. Something sturdy to get my confidence up will do the trick. Probably going to have to wait until next summer to do my first race anyway, so a specialized Tri bike is likely not worth the money.

Thanks though, will keep doing the research, just to try and clue myself up.

How does one of these look?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

One for the cyclists here... on 22:16 - Jul 24 with 3654 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 21:43 - Jul 24 by C_jack

Just something I've always fancied doing. Running on the roads up to 4 days a week so will enjoy the change of medium. Something sturdy to get my confidence up will do the trick. Probably going to have to wait until next summer to do my first race anyway, so a specialized Tri bike is likely not worth the money.

When I was looking for a bike I seriously considered these, looked on loads of forums and never found a bad word about them at the lower (my) end of the market, said the spec for these prices is quite good, same for halfords carerra bikes and they have good offers on at the mo, there is one ending today for carerra road bikes, might be worth a look, you can reserve a bike today but you don't pay until you collect and you can cancel any time if you change your mind.
One for the cyclists here... on 22:31 - Jul 24 with 3644 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 21:43 - Jul 24 by C_jack

Perfectly good bike I know Jack morsel bought was and was pleased with it he did the Cardiff to Tenby 100 mile ride on it with no issues and had not been riding that long. He was going to do the Tredz Tenby Sportive a couple of weeks ago on it so it's obviously capable. If you live or work near a Decathlon store I would drop in to check one out. Don't blame me if you end up spending a lot more than you bargained for it hoes with the territory I am afraid.

I am sure that one of the Carrera TDF bikes currently on sale @ £199 in a Halfords (they put the discount on at checkout) would do a job and you could sell it for nota lot less if you decide it's not for you. It's not as good as the Btwin tho.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-tdf-limited-edition-men

Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 08:08 - Aug 1 with 3559 viewsJackfath

http://www.3citiescycle.co.uk/

?

One for the cyclists here... on 08:44 - Aug 1 with 3548 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 08:08 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

http://www.3citiescycle.co.uk/

?

Go for it JF.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 21:18 - Aug 7 with 3497 views1jack

Did my first TT tonight, 15 miles in 50.47, the slowest there, But in my defense everyone was better than me and they all had super dooper road bikes and I was on my carrera hybrid, but still loved it.
One for the cyclists here... on 21:23 - Aug 7 with 3490 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 21:18 - Aug 7 by 1jack

Did my first TT tonight, 15 miles in 50.47, the slowest there, But in my defense everyone was better than me and they all had super dooper road bikes and I was on my carrera hybrid, but still loved it.

Well done I have often thought of doing one but chickened out.

I know a few people who do them and their attitude seems to be just try and beat your last time. Where did you do it? Was it mostly flat or where there a few hills? Did you get a good welcome and would you do it gain?

One for the cyclists here... on 21:37 - Aug 7 with 3484 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 21:23 - Aug 7 by Pacemaker

Well done I have often thought of doing one but chickened out.

I know a few people who do them and their attitude seems to be just try and beat your last time. Where did you do it? Was it mostly flat or where there a few hills? Did you get a good welcome and would you do it gain?

Pembrey flats with Bynea cycling club, there are a few hills on the route nothing severe but the last 2 bloody killed me. Had an excellent welcome and great support when everyone went passed me, would highly recommend it, you seem to put that little extra in when it's against the clock. Bynea do one every week, I will definitely be doing more.
One for the cyclists here... on 21:44 - Aug 7 with 3476 views1jack

My first bike ride on the 3rd of June this year was 7.8 miles, it took me 1hr 3 mins., with an average speed of 7.4 mph, tonight my average speed was nigh on 18 mph over 15 miles, I have to say I am bloody chuffed.
One for the cyclists here... on 21:50 - Aug 7 with 3470 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 21:44 - Aug 7 by 1jack

My first bike ride on the 3rd of June this year was 7.8 miles, it took me 1hr 3 mins., with an average speed of 7.4 mph, tonight my average speed was nigh on 18 mph over 15 miles, I have to say I am bloody chuffed.

So you should be that is brilliant. Sounds like I should man up and give one a go. Bynea is a bit too far for me but I know PT Wheelers use the the A465 between Resoven and Cadoxton as a TT so might give it a go.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 21:52]

One for the cyclists here... on 21:53 - Aug 7 with 3454 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 21:50 - Aug 7 by Pacemaker

So you should be that is brilliant. Sounds like I should man up and give one a go. Bynea is a bit too far for me but I know PT Wheelers use the the A465 between Resoven and Cadoxton as a TT so might give it a go.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 21:52]

Definitely do it, very friendly and supportive.
One for the cyclists here... on 09:50 - Aug 8 with 3410 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 21:18 - Aug 7 by 1jack

Impressive.

What's the route they do for this?

One for the cyclists here... on 10:29 - Aug 8 with 3393 viewsajackslad

Bought a bike from Halfords for 150 quid a few weeks ago to get fit, lose some weight and keep my teenage daughter company (and safe) on her bike rides. Not had a bike since I was about 17 so all a bit new for me, but currently doing 4 or 5 miles around the village, mixture of flat and hilly, in about 20 minutes every day. Look forward to going out on it. I did buy a 'big bum' seat and that has made a tremendous difference. Before I felt as though I was being sliced in two by the original saddle!

Northern Soul DJ on Seabreeze AM https://radioseabreeze.nl/

One for the cyclists here... on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 3360 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 09:50 - Aug 8 by Jackfath

Impressive.

What's the route they do for this?

Starts near pembrey, go towards kidwelly, then right towards carmarthen you then double back towards pembrey, turn left at butchers arms toward Pinged, left at the end of that road back toward kidwelly, then left and back to pembrey. the route is on my mapmyride.
One for the cyclists here... on 18:00 - Aug 8 with 3357 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 17:56 - Aug 8 by 1jack

Starts near pembrey, go towards kidwelly, then right towards carmarthen you then double back towards pembrey, turn left at butchers arms toward Pinged, left at the end of that road back toward kidwelly, then left and back to pembrey. the route is on my mapmyride.

Whats the name of the route on htere?

One for the cyclists here... on 00:05 - Aug 9 with 3332 views1jack

One for the cyclists here... on 18:00 - Aug 8 by Jackfath

Whats the name of the route on htere?

Sorry about late reply, i had to go out. i've called it time trial, but look for NeilR2002 and it's 14.93 miles mapped on Aug 07 2014
One for the cyclists here... on 11:48 - Aug 14 with 3286 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 17:07 - Jul 3 by csf

Agree with this. Broke mine a few years back, think my life would be vastly different if I hadn't had the helmet on or not had a decent one.

Max on a side note, have you got the receipt for the broken one? I think some companies give partial refunds for helmets broken in accidents. Got the receipt for mine somewhere after I broke the last one.

Just found the site I need to exchange my Helmet, but it'll still cost me 35 quid, I only paid 25 quid for mine in Halfords sale, but the same helmet a Giro Phase, is 60 odd quid now, I bought a Specialized Align in Tredz on Tuesday for 30quid, it was recommended to me.

Here's the site http://www.zyro.co.uk/giro/content/giroreplacement

On a side note, I was hoping to go back to work on Monday, but Doc won't let me cause thumb is still to swollen, so its back on the ibuprofen and hopefully back on the 26th.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2014 11:50]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 09:28 - Aug 15 with 3250 viewsPacemaker

http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/the-event/

20% discount if you use promo code WALESONLINE.

Here you go Doc just what you order looks superb.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 10:54]

One for the cyclists here... on 11:32 - Aug 15 with 3229 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 09:28 - Aug 15 by Pacemaker

http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/the-event/

20% discount if you use promo code WALESONLINE.

Here you go Doc just what you order looks superb.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 10:54]

Nice one. Will sort that out.

Have been VERY slack and not been out for coming up to two weeks. Suposed to be cycling to Tenby in under 2 weeks time.....

One for the cyclists here... on 19:05 - Aug 15 with 3189 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 11:32 - Aug 15 by Jackfath

Nice one. Will sort that out.

Have been VERY slack and not been out for coming up to two weeks. Suposed to be cycling to Tenby in under 2 weeks time.....

Been v busy in work and with family issues so not as much riding as normal but still try to commute three times a week.

Bit of a rest is just as good as training so don't worry about missing a few rides it supposed to be enjoyable and a bit of fun.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024