Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Swansea Night Clubs 07:13 - May 15 with 162484 viewsLord_Bony

Hey Anyone have any memories of the plethora of clubs on offer in the 70s80s90s? The good the bad and the ugly.

My personal fave was Barons...had some brilliant times there...REALLY miss that place

Here's some from about 20 years ago

http://www.moremusic.co.uk/swansea/swanclub.htm

[Post edited 15 May 2014 7:19]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:16 - May 16 with 16935 viewsDarran

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:12 - May 16 by Jackfath

Max walking home.

He's not a well mam.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:17 - May 16 with 16930 viewsGeoffThom

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 16:56 - May 16 by Jackfath

Oystermouth Social club.
Mumbles Rugby Club.

Oystermouth social wouldn't let us in. Now they're crying out for members (if it's not already closed). Serves the old duffers right.

Been closed for years now the con club ,which reminds me I got it wrong forgot about the social and con club I was thinking about the Irvine club which unless you lived in mumbles surrounding areas you didn't go to there was even the legion if you strayed off the front
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:18 - May 16 with 16922 viewsJackfath

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:16 - May 16 by Darran

He's not a well mam.

You need to get smaller fingers.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:19 - May 16 with 16923 viewsDarran

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:18 - May 16 by Jackfath

You need to get smaller fingers.

He's like an old woman.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:20 - May 16 with 16916 viewsJackfath

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:17 - May 16 by GeoffThom

Been closed for years now the con club ,which reminds me I got it wrong forgot about the social and con club I was thinking about the Irvine club which unless you lived in mumbles surrounding areas you didn't go to there was even the legion if you strayed off the front

None of which allowed youngsters in and now struggle.

Terrible forward planning from the old duffers who were on the committee.

Irvine Club was next door to the Rugby Club?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:26 - May 16 with 16913 viewsGeoffThom

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:20 - May 16 by Jackfath

None of which allowed youngsters in and now struggle.

Terrible forward planning from the old duffers who were on the committee.

Irvine Club was next door to the Rugby Club?

Sorry didn't write that properly the social is now the con club as the social closed down and yes Irvine next to the rugby club now a block of flats
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:16 - May 16 with 16897 viewsSwanzay

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember Tesco being on the kingsway, wasn't there also an underground car park were Ocean is now or is my memory confused?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:07 - May 16 with 16881 viewsGeoffThom

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:16 - May 16 by Swanzay

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember Tesco being on the kingsway, wasn't there also an underground car park were Ocean is now or is my memory confused?

Tesco was underneath the odean above the rank, underground car park under poters wheel ,Valerios
Login to get fewer ads

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:12 - May 16 with 16878 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Top Rank in the mid eighties, 50/50 nights on Tuesdays. 50p to get in and 50p a pint

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:45 - May 16 with 16839 viewsSwanzay

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:07 - May 16 by GeoffThom

Tesco was underneath the odean above the rank, underground car park under poters wheel ,Valerios

Thanks for that, so was the car park filled in or does it still exist and built on?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:27 - May 16 with 16810 viewsNogginthenog

I believe the car park is still there run as a private concern. When I worked for Fletchers we used to store cars down there and on the roof of the United Welsh bus garage. Where Wilkinsons is now.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:32 - May 16 with 16800 viewspansypants

Flannigans was always worth a visit in St. Helens Road - some serious types in there.

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:00 - May 16 with 16786 viewsswanny

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 16:25 - May 16 by GeoffThom

Good try missed two one you'll never get because very few youngsters went in there

BCYC, MYC and the Con Club were possibles, also the Canopic.

The Park, the Vic, the Rock and the Newt were never part of the walk along

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 21:04 - May 16 with 16775 viewsItchySphincter

Not really a club but wasn't there a Shades up the end of the Kingsway, and Hoopers(?). Before the heyday of Wind St?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 23:24 - May 16 with 16715 viewsMervyn

Griffin bar,meant to start my engagement night here failed to make it due to a fractured knee cap...playing rugby earlier,

Jack Masons, good night club behind the old Mardy gorseinon,had my wedding night here,
The Park, great juke box, must have spent a small fortune there playing Neil youngs Heart of gold,

Penthouse, good live bands, and bumping into lads from Ystadgynlais and Bonymaen that a few hours before had kicked lumps out of me,

Prince of Wales, i think the dj was Winston and he always played steely dans Dirty Work ,still one of my all time fav. tracks

West Cross Country club, bit up market at the time....redbones whitch queen of new orleans takes me back to those days.

the Buc ,Handbury,No. 10 , critirion and the Dilwyn another good juke box, got so pissed in there did;nt make it to the vetch for the Who concert,

also went to Waun rugby club on tues nights ...place was rocking with Wishbone Ash's music......

the Rhyddings and the uplands along with the bombay grill and the Asian grill......sometimes you wonder how we survived what seemed like none stop drinking
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:50 - May 17 with 16616 viewsjack_lord

Who used to go to the City Tavern on a Sunday night - a brilliant end to the weekend. We used to get curry half and half in the restaurant to get free entry in to the Valbonne as well on a Saturday.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:22 - May 18 with 16554 viewsjackado

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:26 - May 16 by GeoffThom

Sorry didn't write that properly the social is now the con club as the social closed down and yes Irvine next to the rugby club now a block of flats

Secrets down mumbles next door to the mermaid hasn't been mentioned that's where i met my wife back in 89/90
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 13:28 - May 18 with 16506 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:22 - May 18 by jackado

Secrets down mumbles next door to the mermaid hasn't been mentioned that's where i met my wife back in 89/90

Ah the mermaid and Dylan's. I was 17/18 at the time and hoped it would go on forever. It's quite sad reading this thread that some of these places have literally disappeared from the face of the earth. Just when the trend in other places is an increase in good nightlife Swansea bucks the trend.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:45 - May 18 with 16486 viewsoldgrey

I love the description of the west cross country club as "upmarket". Not when I went there. To get around the arcane licensing laws of the time (this was the early 70s) you had a ticket for a "meal" - a hot dog. Friday night was always the patti accompanied by Warwick and others. In the days before licensing laws were reformed, we used to go places like the regency club to fill the difficult hours between 3:30 and 5:30. Plus that club that Ray Tilley owned whose name defeats me. Anyone remember when they tried to make Dora's a respectable nightclub and turned away anyone scruffily dressed. Think the man band wrote a song about. Also if you didn't have or forgot a tie, many clubs would refuse you entry. Toilet paper ties became a useful substitute.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:15 - May 18 with 16445 viewsswanny

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:45 - May 18 by oldgrey

I love the description of the west cross country club as "upmarket". Not when I went there. To get around the arcane licensing laws of the time (this was the early 70s) you had a ticket for a "meal" - a hot dog. Friday night was always the patti accompanied by Warwick and others. In the days before licensing laws were reformed, we used to go places like the regency club to fill the difficult hours between 3:30 and 5:30. Plus that club that Ray Tilley owned whose name defeats me. Anyone remember when they tried to make Dora's a respectable nightclub and turned away anyone scruffily dressed. Think the man band wrote a song about. Also if you didn't have or forgot a tie, many clubs would refuse you entry. Toilet paper ties became a useful substitute.

Ray Tilley! He had a very particular way of dancing.

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:21 - May 18 with 16416 viewsMatlock_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:34 - May 15 by swanny

The penthouse, the valbonne, barons, Dora's, the pier, the Langland bay, the surf house, the caswell bay and the west cross country club. Those are the old clubs I remember, oh and how could I forget, tiffany's.

I remember dancing in Tiffany's around 1972-3 time, but my favourite nightclub was Amanda's on Langland Bay.

Wasn't the club attached to the Caswell Bay Hotel, called Castaways?

Where was the Valbonne Again?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:29 - May 18 with 16408 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:21 - May 18 by Matlock_Jack

I remember dancing in Tiffany's around 1972-3 time, but my favourite nightclub was Amanda's on Langland Bay.

Wasn't the club attached to the Caswell Bay Hotel, called Castaways?

Where was the Valbonne Again?

The valbonne was on Northampton lane next to/above the old city tavern.
Castaways was certainly attached to the old Caswell bay hotel. By the time I came of age it shut. I was gutted!

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:01 - May 18 with 16392 viewsMatlock_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 17:29 - May 18 by Brynmill_Jack

The valbonne was on Northampton lane next to/above the old city tavern.
Castaways was certainly attached to the old Caswell bay hotel. By the time I came of age it shut. I was gutted!

Thanks for the info, what's become of the Valbonne building now?

BTW There was a fair amount of trouble at Castaways, I'm not sure you really lost any genuine excitement!

I remember the police cars screaming around that narrow chicane at Newton, before you hit that long downward slope to Caswell.
[Post edited 18 May 2014 18:03]
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:04 - May 18 with 16387 viewspansypants

Where was the Admiral Benbow? I have heard many a tale

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:06 - May 18 with 16381 viewsJackfath

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:04 - May 18 by pansypants

Where was the Admiral Benbow? I have heard many a tale

Limeslade.

It's now Castellamare.

It was attached to Neptunes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024