Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 14:19 - Jul 20 with 11332 viewsdeanscfc

Surely ours needs improving, not weakening??

For much of last season our defence looked weak and we let in goals at the wrong times causing us to lose games we should have at least drawn, if not won. Rangel is getting on a bit and looked slow in the highlights from last nights game and now our left back is going. Anyone else think we at least need good cover for a right back?
Defence on 14:39 - Jul 20 with 5996 viewsPozuelosSideys

Rangel's legs were gone last year. He kept switching off as well. Hes always been prone to the odd error, but that was often as we were playing out from the back.

Deffo need a right back or we will see a lot of Dwight this year.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Defence on 15:01 - Jul 20 with 5932 viewsBrynmill_Jack

It's all gone quiet on the CDM front too. A Besic type will ease the strain on our back 4

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Defence on 15:03 - Jul 20 with 5925 viewseddie71

Defence on 14:39 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

Rangel's legs were gone last year. He kept switching off as well. Hes always been prone to the odd error, but that was often as we were playing out from the back.

Deffo need a right back or we will see a lot of Dwight this year.

Agreed on the right back situation, legend though Angel has been his best days are behind him. Sam Byram would be my choice though Leeds clearly are no mugs if they managed to get 11mn for Ross McCormack and that chairman seems a bit of a nutcase.
Defence on 15:40 - Jul 20 with 5867 viewsHubert

Defence has been strengthened by adding Fabianski to organise them better
Defence on 15:46 - Jul 20 with 5836 viewsDrizzy

Can't see much improvement with Jose Manuel Flores looking likely to be starting. Here's hoping Bartley or Amat oust him and relegate him to the bench.

A good defensive midfielder will help as will getting someone to challenge (or even replace) Rangel. The whole unit looked disorganised as well last year so hopefully that will be addressed in the pre-season with it being Monk's forte.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2014 15:52]

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Defence on 15:46 - Jul 20 with 5839 viewseastbanker

Adding Flappyhanski is a strength? You must be deluded, he was so good he couldn't get a game at Arsenal.
Defence on 15:53 - Jul 20 with 5803 viewsPontrhydyfenJack

Defence on 15:46 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Adding Flappyhanski is a strength? You must be deluded, he was so good he couldn't get a game at Arsenal.

Love the way people are writing fabianski off before he's even played a full game. People said the same about tremmel before he got a good run in the team mind.
Defence on 15:55 - Jul 20 with 5789 viewslondonlisa2001

they played him in the FA cup final though right?

Although, to be fair, given they hadn't won a trophy in donkey's years and their fans were screaming blue murders about it, you'd imagine that Wenger played him just out of sentiment, not really caring one way or the other if Arsenal won or not....

For God's sake.
Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 16:00 - Jul 20 with 5761 viewsPozuelosSideys

I agree with you. Would rather keep Vorm.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Defence on 16:06 - Jul 20 with 5729 viewsCatullus

Because Vorm was so good last season?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Defence on 16:06 - Jul 20 with 5725 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Defence on 16:06 - Jul 20 by Catullus

Because Vorm was so good last season?

He was awful

Defence on 16:08 - Jul 20 with 5720 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:00 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

I agree with you. Would rather keep Vorm.

couldn't agree less. In my mind, Vorm was pretty much our greatest weakness last season - actually, that may be a little unfair to personalise it. Goalkeeper was our great weakness last season (because I didn't think either of them were very good).

Vorm in my mind summed up the season with his woeful attempt to prevent the goal against Southampton last game - utterly dreadful and lacking courage. He was brilliant before that injury - never been the same since - doesn't go for stuff let alone save it. I couldn't have been happier to see us address that with Fabianski's signing early summer. And he is very very highly rated by the majority of Arsenal fans almost all of who were very sorry to see him go.

That whole 'Flappyhandski' (and by the way, it doesn't work if you leave out the 'd' ) was from when he first joined - reports locally suggest that they offered close to £50k per week for him to stay at Arsenal but he wanted to play rather than earn lots, a refreshing change in itself.
Defence on 16:10 - Jul 20 with 5711 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 16:08 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

couldn't agree less. In my mind, Vorm was pretty much our greatest weakness last season - actually, that may be a little unfair to personalise it. Goalkeeper was our great weakness last season (because I didn't think either of them were very good).

Vorm in my mind summed up the season with his woeful attempt to prevent the goal against Southampton last game - utterly dreadful and lacking courage. He was brilliant before that injury - never been the same since - doesn't go for stuff let alone save it. I couldn't have been happier to see us address that with Fabianski's signing early summer. And he is very very highly rated by the majority of Arsenal fans almost all of who were very sorry to see him go.

That whole 'Flappyhandski' (and by the way, it doesn't work if you leave out the 'd' ) was from when he first joined - reports locally suggest that they offered close to £50k per week for him to stay at Arsenal but he wanted to play rather than earn lots, a refreshing change in itself.

Yep. I know. I was first in the queue to say Vorm needed replacing. Probably shows you as to what i think of Fabianski. He will be the crowds whipping boy next season.

Just dont rate him, sorry!

Defence on 16:12 - Jul 20 with 5701 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Defence on 16:08 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

Thank God you signed up here LC. We need common sense birds on here like you ;-)

Defence on 16:15 - Jul 20 with 5692 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:10 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

Yep. I know. I was first in the queue to say Vorm needed replacing. Probably shows you as to what i think of Fabianski. He will be the crowds whipping boy next season.

Just dont rate him, sorry!

but on what basis?

The only people that have presumably seen him regularly are Arsenal fans and they really rate him. I don't understand how we can 'rate him' or otherwise just on a gut instinct?
Defence on 16:26 - Jul 20 with 5658 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 16:15 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

but on what basis?

The only people that have presumably seen him regularly are Arsenal fans and they really rate him. I don't understand how we can 'rate him' or otherwise just on a gut instinct?

Just dont rate him. He looks flaky and unsure. Granted, only seen him in a few games, but thats as much as anyone else has seen. Pantilimon would have been my preference.

Arsenal fans havent seen him regularly either, 30 odd games in 7 years, and they compare him to Schzchny.

It may be a gut instinct, youre right. But the fanboys are basing it on exactly the same. Obviously i hope they are right and that im horribly wrong!

Defence on 16:26 - Jul 20 with 5656 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:15 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

but on what basis?

How can the Arsenal fans really rate him when he's only played 32 games in seven seasons!!
You only have to look at his howlers on YouTube to realise he is going to be a liability. I agree that Vorm didn't have his best season last year however, we know what he is capable of from his performances of the seasons before. This second rate Polish keeper who seems better at basket ball than football will cost us games next season. Having lost potential goal scoring midfielder Michu means there will be more pressure on the likes of Bony (assuming he is still here) and Gomis to score plenty of goals because the loss of Ben Davies and Vorm means that our defence is just not good enough.
Defence on 16:35 - Jul 20 with 5615 viewsblaine_scfc

Our defence needs strengthening, but I don't understand all of this stick Chico is getting. He was no better or worse than Ash last season for the most part, and to be slagging off Fabianksi?! Vorm was bordering on shocking, I can't count on one hand the amount of stand out saves he made last year, no backbone whatsoever which is needed in a keeper at any level.
Defence on 16:36 - Jul 20 with 5612 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:26 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

How can the Arsenal fans really rate him when he's only played 32 games in seven seasons!!
You only have to look at his howlers on YouTube to realise he is going to be a liability. I agree that Vorm didn't have his best season last year however, we know what he is capable of from his performances of the seasons before. This second rate Polish keeper who seems better at basket ball than football will cost us games next season. Having lost potential goal scoring midfielder Michu means there will be more pressure on the likes of Bony (assuming he is still here) and Gomis to score plenty of goals because the loss of Ben Davies and Vorm means that our defence is just not good enough.

well the people who are genuinely best placed to rate him (the Arsenal coaching staff) rated him enough to offer him a £50k a week contract.

And it wouldn't take too long to put together a youtube montage of Vorm to make him look like crap either (start with the goal against Southampton). All keepers make howlers (look at De Gea for example) but to call him 'second rate' and a 'better basketball player than footballer' and to state that he will cost us points is, frankly, ridiculous.

Vorm definitely cost us points last season - let's see how Fabianski does before slagging him off shall we?
Defence on 16:39 - Jul 20 with 5591 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:26 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

Just dont rate him. He looks flaky and unsure. Granted, only seen him in a few games, but thats as much as anyone else has seen. Pantilimon would have been my preference.

Arsenal fans havent seen him regularly either, 30 odd games in 7 years, and they compare him to Schzchny.

It may be a gut instinct, youre right. But the fanboys are basing it on exactly the same. Obviously i hope they are right and that im horribly wrong!

well my preference would be Neuer but we probably should just judge based on those that are actually available to us?
Defence on 16:40 - Jul 20 with 5590 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:36 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

well the people who are genuinely best placed to rate him (the Arsenal coaching staff) rated him enough to offer him a £50k a week contract.

And it wouldn't take too long to put together a youtube montage of Vorm to make him look like crap either (start with the goal against Southampton). All keepers make howlers (look at De Gea for example) but to call him 'second rate' and a 'better basketball player than footballer' and to state that he will cost us points is, frankly, ridiculous.

Vorm definitely cost us points last season - let's see how Fabianski does before slagging him off shall we?

In his 7 season at Arsenal he played 80 games in all competitions and conceded 89 goals. Hardly awe inspiring is it?
Vorm is by far a better goalkeeper, hence the interest from the so called "big clubs". As for Flappyhandski being offered £50k a week to stay at Arsenal, makes you wonder what they would pay a good keeper.
Defence on 16:45 - Jul 20 with 5569 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:40 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

In his 7 season at Arsenal he played 80 games in all competitions and conceded 89 goals. Hardly awe inspiring is it?
Vorm is by far a better goalkeeper, hence the interest from the so called "big clubs". As for Flappyhandski being offered £50k a week to stay at Arsenal, makes you wonder what they would pay a good keeper.

the only interest from 'big clubs' is for him to sit on their bench. The Vorm of a couple of years ago may have been a better keeper, the Vorm of this last season wasn't a better keeper than Glan Letheren.

Sorry, but I believe we can only judge him once we've seen him, and i have seen Vorm, on many many occasions, and I think he's (since his injury) very, very weak.
Defence on 16:47 - Jul 20 with 5561 viewsPozuelosSideys

Pantilimon went to Sunderland on a free a week after we got Fabianski.

Defence on 16:51 - Jul 20 with 5533 viewsDaggyjack

Defence on 16:40 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

To break it down a little, he conceded 38 in 32 in the domestic cup competitions (when Arsenal usually played their lesser players) and only 29 in 32 in the Premier League (including 11 clean sheets) and 14 in 14 in Europe.
I wouldn't mind it if he concedes less than a goal a game in the Premier League for us.
Defence on 16:52 - Jul 20 with 5524 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:47 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

Pantilimon went to Sunderland on a free a week after we got Fabianski.

I know where he went - that doesn't mean he was available to us????? We are some way off being as big as Sunderland and we don't have the same budgets as them (even though we may well be a better team at present).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024