Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 14:19 - Jul 20 with 11396 viewsdeanscfc

Surely ours needs improving, not weakening??

For much of last season our defence looked weak and we let in goals at the wrong times causing us to lose games we should have at least drawn, if not won. Rangel is getting on a bit and looked slow in the highlights from last nights game and now our left back is going. Anyone else think we at least need good cover for a right back?
Defence on 16:52 - Jul 20 with 1021 viewseastbanker

A solid dependable goal keeper is essential to an team with any hope of staying in the Premier League. If Vorm wants to go you have to replace him with a player of equal pedigree or better. David Marshall up the M4 would have been worth a cheeky bid or the youngster McCarthy at Reading. Pantilimon did well for Man City and he also went on a free. It just seems that we grabbed this Arsenal stiff quickly because he was on a free transfer without looking at the better options out there feels a bit like an act of desperation.
Defence on 16:54 - Jul 20 with 1014 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:51 - Jul 20 by Daggyjack

To break it down a little, he conceded 38 in 32 in the domestic cup competitions (when Arsenal usually played their lesser players) and only 29 in 32 in the Premier League (including 11 clean sheets) and 14 in 14 in Europe.
I wouldn't mind it if he concedes less than a goal a game in the Premier League for us.

Yes you are correct, Arsenal do play their lesser players in Domestic Cups, hence Flappyhandski played.
Defence on 16:56 - Jul 20 with 1007 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:52 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

A solid dependable goal keeper is essential to an team with any hope of staying in the Premier League. If Vorm wants to go you have to replace him with a player of equal pedigree or better. David Marshall up the M4 would have been worth a cheeky bid or the youngster McCarthy at Reading. Pantilimon did well for Man City and he also went on a free. It just seems that we grabbed this Arsenal stiff quickly because he was on a free transfer without looking at the better options out there feels a bit like an act of desperation.

calling him an 'Arsenal stiff' is frankly insulting. On that basis, Pantilimon was a Man City stiff, Marshall let in so many goals last season it was laughable and McCarthy is a second tier goalkeeper. All of these things are as true as 'Arsenal stiff'.

Don't think we acted in desperation signing a goalkeeper in June. Just another bloody stick to beat the Swans with.
Defence on 16:57 - Jul 20 with 1005 viewsDaggyjack

Defence on 16:54 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Yes you are correct, Arsenal do play their lesser players in Domestic Cups, hence Flappyhandski played.

You seem to have picked up on the one word in my reply and ignored the evidence.
Only time will tell on how good he is but in my view, he can't be as poor as Vorm generally was last season.
Defence on 16:58 - Jul 20 with 997 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 16:54 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

the incessant use of an outdated insult towards one of our players (though at least you are now spelling it correctly after I pointed it out) doesn't make you clever or right - it just make you a bit of a troll.
Defence on 17:00 - Jul 20 with 989 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:57 - Jul 20 by Daggyjack

You seem to have picked up on the one word in my reply and ignored the evidence.
Only time will tell on how good he is but in my view, he can't be as poor as Vorm generally was last season.

Im afraid the statistics prove your argument to be incorrect. He is not a competent keeper otherwise he would have been first choice for Arsenal. Vorm wasn't as consistent last season however, his previous seasons performances were good. One season doesn't make you a poor keeper. Form is temporary, class is permanent, but 7 seasons of mediocrity does make you a poor keeper.
Defence on 17:01 - Jul 20 with 981 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 16:56 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

calling him an 'Arsenal stiff' is frankly insulting. On that basis, Pantilimon was a Man City stiff, Marshall let in so many goals last season it was laughable and McCarthy is a second tier goalkeeper. All of these things are as true as 'Arsenal stiff'.

Don't think we acted in desperation signing a goalkeeper in June. Just another bloody stick to beat the Swans with.

Out of interest, do you think Fabianski is better than the 3 he mentioned?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Defence on 17:03 - Jul 20 with 972 viewsHuw57

Defence on 15:46 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Adding Flappyhanski is a strength? You must be deluded, he was so good he couldn't get a game at Arsenal.

Coincidence that the halves Lukasz has played he has not conceded a goal?

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 969 viewsNeath_Jack

Defence on 16:52 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

You lost all credibility with the "Cheeky" bid statement. Good grief.
YOLO.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Defence on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 969 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Defence on 17:01 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

To be fair Marshall made a record amount of saves because he goal was peppered all season. They still finished with a GD of minus 42

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Defence on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 969 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 17:03 - Jul 20 by Huw57

Coincidence that the halves Lukasz has played he has not conceded a goal?

Do you have any more players you want us to sign? We seem to be trying to sign/have signed pretty much all the others you wanted..

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Defence on 17:05 - Jul 20 with 965 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:58 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

the incessant use of an outdated insult towards one of our players (though at least you are now spelling it correctly after I pointed it out) doesn't make you clever or right - it just make you a bit of a troll.

As a supporter (48 years) I have every right to voice my opinion the same as anyone else. If it doesn't meet your approval, just do one. I've witnessed some awful keepers in the Swans shirt over the years and Flappyhandski (everyone is entitled to a spelling mistake) is one of the worst. Marginally better than Peter Guthrie!
Defence on 17:06 - Jul 20 with 963 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 17:04 - Jul 20 by Brynmill_Jack

To be fair Marshall made a record amount of saves because he goal was peppered all season. They still finished with a GD of minus 42

Aye. That wasnt the question though.

Think Marshall and McCarthy would be commanding hefty fees as well which would probably rule them out as we can spend that elsewhere - like a right back for starters!

Defence on 17:15 - Jul 20 with 944 viewsjackforlife

Defence on 17:05 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

As a supporter (48 years) I have every right to voice my opinion the same as anyone else. If it doesn't meet your approval, just do one. I've witnessed some awful keepers in the Swans shirt over the years and Flappyhandski (everyone is entitled to a spelling mistake) is one of the worst. Marginally better than Peter Guthrie!

Only problem is you haven't witnessed him in a swans shirt yet. I also have my doubts but have a sneaky feeling he could well prove me wrong. One thing is for certain is that anything is better than a vorm of last season .
Defence on 17:16 - Jul 20 with 940 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 17:01 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

Well Marshall made some cracking saves last year but everytime I watched Cardiff they appeared to be appalling when balls came into their box - whether that was his fault, the fault of Caulker, other defenders etc I am not certain. Their goal difference certainly suggested that defensive organisation was a real issue though, which I always believe starts with the goalkeeper.

Thought Pantilimon looked good for Man City, but was replaced by Hart pretty much as soon as he could be (after they gave Hart a bit of a break) and McCarthy don't know because I didn't see him last season at all.

The other unknown is the relative cost, of course, so even if say Marshall was a better keeper (and as I say, I think that is debatable) then whether he would be better value for money given our priorities it would be impossible to say. I just believe in giving players a chance before slagging them off or thinking it's clever to use 'Flappyhandski' type insults or to call him a 'second rate Polish keeper' (that's one thing he's not, of course, since even if he were a Polish second rate keeper, he is certainly not second rate by Polish standards given that he's been their National keeper for years).
Defence on 17:19 - Jul 20 with 822 viewseastbanker

Every Swans fan should want the team to be made up of the best players available, so honestly, do you all believe that Fabianski is the BEST keeper that we can afford to ensure our survival in the Premier League. Based on statistics and having seen him play for Arsenal I'm sorry but I'm far from convinced. There are goal keepers out there who would do a far better job, even if we did have to spend a bit to land one. The points that a decent keeper will save you over the course of a season will move you up in the league positions, the extra prize money would off set the transfer fee.
Defence on 17:21 - Jul 20 with 812 viewseddie71

Defence on 17:15 - Jul 20 by jackforlife

Only problem is you haven't witnessed him in a swans shirt yet. I also have my doubts but have a sneaky feeling he could well prove me wrong. One thing is for certain is that anything is better than a vorm of last season .

That is the key question, there are issues with all keepers and whilst I liked McCarthy his distribution is suspect and Marshall looked good because of all the work he had to do. Fabianski is a decent keeper and needs to be given a chance, there is no guarantee Vorm would have regained his form or that he ever will.
Defence on 17:22 - Jul 20 with 808 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 17:05 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

how can you possibly say that Fabianski is one of the worst players you've ever seen in a Swans shirt. He hasn't been in one as yet (apart from 2 halves in the US where he let in no goals).

I agree that it's only opinions, but don't you think it's better to base an opinion on something rational?
Defence on 17:25 - Jul 20 with 788 viewseastbanker

Defence on 17:16 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

Well Marshall made some cracking saves last year but everytime I watched Cardiff they appeared to be appalling when balls came into their box - whether that was his fault, the fault of Caulker, other defenders etc I am not certain. Their goal difference certainly suggested that defensive organisation was a real issue though, which I always believe starts with the goalkeeper.

Thought Pantilimon looked good for Man City, but was replaced by Hart pretty much as soon as he could be (after they gave Hart a bit of a break) and McCarthy don't know because I didn't see him last season at all.

The other unknown is the relative cost, of course, so even if say Marshall was a better keeper (and as I say, I think that is debatable) then whether he would be better value for money given our priorities it would be impossible to say. I just believe in giving players a chance before slagging them off or thinking it's clever to use 'Flappyhandski' type insults or to call him a 'second rate Polish keeper' (that's one thing he's not, of course, since even if he were a Polish second rate keeper, he is certainly not second rate by Polish standards given that he's been their National keeper for years).

Not played for Poland since 2012, only 20 caps in total. Poland number one keeper Artur Boric of Southampton.
Defence on 17:26 - Jul 20 with 786 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 17:19 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Every Swans fan should want the team to be made up of the best players available, so honestly, do you all believe that Fabianski is the BEST keeper that we can afford to ensure our survival in the Premier League. Based on statistics and having seen him play for Arsenal I'm sorry but I'm far from convinced. There are goal keepers out there who would do a far better job, even if we did have to spend a bit to land one. The points that a decent keeper will save you over the course of a season will move you up in the league positions, the extra prize money would off set the transfer fee.

don't you mean the best players available within our budget and based on competing priorities?

Oh, and based on statistics he's a damn sight better than Marshall isn't he???
Defence on 17:27 - Jul 20 with 774 viewseastbanker

Defence on 17:22 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

how can you possibly say that Fabianski is one of the worst players you've ever seen in a Swans shirt. He hasn't been in one as yet (apart from 2 halves in the US where he let in no goals).

I agree that it's only opinions, but don't you think it's better to base an opinion on something rational?

Rational, such as eye witnessed performances for Arsenal, statistics that are available to all?
Defence on 17:27 - Jul 20 with 771 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 17:25 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Not played for Poland since 2012, only 20 caps in total. Poland number one keeper Artur Boric of Southampton.

sorry - should have said he was their national goalkeeper for years.
Defence on 17:31 - Jul 20 with 757 viewslondonlisa2001

Defence on 17:27 - Jul 20 by eastbanker

Rational, such as eye witnessed performances for Arsenal, statistics that are available to all?

Statistically he is better than Marshall by a long shot (in fact, it would be difficult to find someone who was worse).

How many times have you, in person, seen him play for Arsenal ?
Defence on 17:33 - Jul 20 with 747 viewsPozuelosSideys

Defence on 17:31 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

Statistically he is better than Marshall by a long shot (in fact, it would be difficult to find someone who was worse).

How many times have you, in person, seen him play for Arsenal ?

What stats are they then? Can we see?

Defence on 17:40 - Jul 20 with 738 viewseastbanker

Defence on 17:33 - Jul 20 by PozuelosSideys

What stats are they then? Can we see?

Google - Fabianski statistics - read and weep
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024