Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 14:19 - Jul 20 with 10934 viewsdeanscfc

Surely ours needs improving, not weakening??

For much of last season our defence looked weak and we let in goals at the wrong times causing us to lose games we should have at least drawn, if not won. Rangel is getting on a bit and looked slow in the highlights from last nights game and now our left back is going. Anyone else think we at least need good cover for a right back?
Defence on 14:34 - Jul 21 with 1187 viewseastbanker

Defence on 12:24 - Jul 21 by raynor94

Ok, let's cut to the chase, who in your expert opinion would you have signed? oh and how did you happen to see so many of Fabianskis 89 appearances?

Marc-Andre ter Stegen would have been worth a try, Victor Valdes is looking for a new club and Courtois of Chelsea could have been a decent season long loan. As well as McCarthy of Reading or Ochoa who had a decent world cup. Every player has his price and we cannot speculate who would have cost what without the club trying a bid.
Defence on 16:45 - Jul 21 with 1127 viewsskippyjack

Defence on 14:34 - Jul 21 by eastbanker

Marc-Andre ter Stegen would have been worth a try, Victor Valdes is looking for a new club and Courtois of Chelsea could have been a decent season long loan. As well as McCarthy of Reading or Ochoa who had a decent world cup. Every player has his price and we cannot speculate who would have cost what without the club trying a bid.

Valdes is the worst flapper in history.. Courtois isn't that Solid on crosses.. he's steady because A.Madrids defence is a wall.. I'd rather sign Flappyhandski than Valdes

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Defence on 17:06 - Jul 21 with 1104 viewseastbanker

Defence on 16:45 - Jul 21 by skippyjack

Valdes is the worst flapper in history.. Courtois isn't that Solid on crosses.. he's steady because A.Madrids defence is a wall.. I'd rather sign Flappyhandski than Valdes

Don't use his nickname the "true" supporters don't like it lol
Defence on 17:15 - Jul 21 with 1091 viewsJackFish

You're either taking the piss of completely deluded. Courtois played in the La Liga winning side last season and who could be first choice at Chelsea this season, why the fck would he come here? I'm sure we couldn't offer Victor Valdes anywhere near what he wants, and Reading would want quite a few million for McCarthy.

We get it, you don't like Fabianski. We also get that there are better keepers than him in the world. You seem to be completely missing the fact that we have something called a transfer budget, and something else called a wage structure.
Defence on 18:27 - Jul 21 with 1048 viewsDaggyjack

But thanks Eastbanker, it did make me laugh!!
Defence on 19:40 - Jul 21 with 1023 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Defence on 17:15 - Jul 21 by JackFish

You're either taking the piss of completely deluded. Courtois played in the La Liga winning side last season and who could be first choice at Chelsea this season, why the fck would he come here? I'm sure we couldn't offer Victor Valdes anywhere near what he wants, and Reading would want quite a few million for McCarthy.

We get it, you don't like Fabianski. We also get that there are better keepers than him in the world. You seem to be completely missing the fact that we have something called a transfer budget, and something else called a wage structure.

And Courtois played in the CL final and the WC

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Defence on 20:08 - Jul 21 with 1011 viewsAl_Bundy

Rangel and Richards are the weakest links to our team and they both play RB

Need a signing in this area and release Richards with Rangel as back up.
Defence on 20:15 - Jul 21 with 1005 viewsshandyjack

this has to be the most deluded post ever, ter stegen has signed for Barca!!! Valdes looks to be heading to Monaco on mega tax free wages, Ochoa has all osts of bigs names after him. McCarthy being a young English keeper would of cost well over the odds.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 07:49 - Jul 22 with 959 viewsPhil_S

Defence on 17:06 - Jul 21 by eastbanker

Don't use his nickname the "true" supporters don't like it lol

And that is the moment that any credibility your argument had fell apart as your own defence in your argument now elies purely on that
Defence on 08:39 - Jul 22 with 931 viewsSwansNZ

Defence on 18:49 - Jul 20 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I also think the defence needs some investment. I don't think swapping Taylor for Ben really affects us much, in my opinion Taylor is the better defender of the two, but Ben had more to his game, especially going forwards, but Tayls isn't a slouch in that respect either (Still remember that peach of a cross for Bony at Arsenal last season in one of his rare appearances).

Ash is good enough. Chico is a bit...well, Chico. Amat is someone it seems hard to dislike based on his attitude and professionalism, as well as his versatility; I have doubts about him making it at centre-half in the Prem though, he seems to lose too many physical/aeriel battles for my liking. He's built more like a full-back to me, and I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a chance at RB at some point.

Bartley certainly has the physique, but question marks remain about the rest, although I'm more of a fan than most on here it seems...

Rangel doesn't have strong enough competition, and KIngsley is a complete unknown as understudy to Tayls (if that's how it's to work out).

Bit risky to go as we are into the season IMO.

Good post, agree with all that.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Defence on 09:57 - Jul 22 with 901 viewseastbanker

Just seen that Vorm has agreed personal terms with Spurs, so then looks like our number one is going to Fabianski. Gonna be a long hard season.
Defence on 09:59 - Jul 22 with 897 viewsDaggyjack

Defence on 09:57 - Jul 22 by eastbanker

Just seen that Vorm has agreed personal terms with Spurs, so then looks like our number one is going to Fabianski. Gonna be a long hard season.

Run along now EB.
Defence on 10:00 - Jul 22 with 894 viewsSwansNZ

Defence on 09:57 - Jul 22 by eastbanker

Still 38 games in the PL, I believe

Vorm has not been good for 18 months

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Defence on 10:07 - Jul 22 with 891 viewsperchrockjack

Vorm has been a gutless waste of a jersey for 18 months. Anywone needing any evidence consider the Lambert goal at end of season and the way he was stuck to the spot so many times when the ball was heading for the net.
Monk has done the right thing by getting rid no matter what Fab s failings might be.
I would personally have preferred Mc Carthy but hey ho

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Defence on 10:14 - Jul 22 with 884 viewsWarwickHunt

Defence on 20:08 - Jul 21 by Al_Bundy

Rangel and Richards are the weakest links to our team and they both play RB

Need a signing in this area and release Richards with Rangel as back up.

Spot on.
Defence on 10:14 - Jul 22 with 884 viewstomdickharry

Fabianski is a solid experienced keeper who has been known to make the odd mistake but generally now that he is a regular will do well for us.
Right Bank could be a problem area as the season wears on,I can see Amat fitting in there comfortably,good footballer and now with one season under his belt will be more than capable of holding his own if called upon.
Centre back pairing of Williams/Chico will be Monk's first choice with Bartley probably pushing hard for a start should Chico go walkabout.
Left Back Taylor will automatically step into the gap left by Davies and if he gets back to where he was pre injury will be a more than able deputy and a much happier player.
Defence on 10:15 - Jul 22 with 884 viewseastbanker

Defence on 09:59 - Jul 22 by Daggyjack

Run along now EB.

Run along? Why would I want to do that, looks like I'm beginning to convince you that Fabianski isn't good enough. Why else would you be so dismissive?
Defence on 10:20 - Jul 22 with 873 viewsperchrockjack

Fab ,you never know, might actually take control of his box and not shuite out of a challenge with an opposing centre forward.
I might be wrong.
FAB COULD WELL IMPROVE SO IF HE S BEEN CRAP HE MIGHT TURN OUT OK

ok

Defence on 10:31 - Jul 22 with 859 viewseastbanker

Defence on 10:20 - Jul 22 by perchrockjack

Fab ,you never know, might actually take control of his box and not shuite out of a challenge with an opposing centre forward.
I might be wrong.
FAB COULD WELL IMPROVE SO IF HE S BEEN CRAP HE MIGHT TURN OUT OK

ok

Look, without being argumentative, what makes you think a 29 year old goalkeeper will suddenly become competent at catching crosses and commanding his area just because he's left a top 4 club and joined the Swans. With the greatest respect, he had seven seasons at Arsenal to improve and add the necessary qualities to his game to make him into a first choice regular. He didn't. He only played when the Arsenal first choice keeper was injured/suspended or when playing in a second string team in lesser domestic competitions. Once the first choice keeper was available Fabianski was back on the bench. As I've already stated IF he proves me wrong I will be the first to come on here and admit it, however, I can only judge players on their past performances and abilities. If Swans supporters are happy to entrust the goalkeeping duties to a keeper who has his fair share of errors and cock-ups, fine. I just think we should expect a bit more.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2014 10:32]
Defence on 10:57 - Jul 22 with 816 viewsJackSomething

Defence on 10:31 - Jul 22 by eastbanker

Look, without being argumentative, what makes you think a 29 year old goalkeeper will suddenly become competent at catching crosses and commanding his area just because he's left a top 4 club and joined the Swans. With the greatest respect, he had seven seasons at Arsenal to improve and add the necessary qualities to his game to make him into a first choice regular. He didn't. He only played when the Arsenal first choice keeper was injured/suspended or when playing in a second string team in lesser domestic competitions. Once the first choice keeper was available Fabianski was back on the bench. As I've already stated IF he proves me wrong I will be the first to come on here and admit it, however, I can only judge players on their past performances and abilities. If Swans supporters are happy to entrust the goalkeeping duties to a keeper who has his fair share of errors and cock-ups, fine. I just think we should expect a bit more.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2014 10:32]

So Wenger only played Fabianski in a 'second string team in lesser domestic competitions'?

So, despite Arsenal's well-reported trophy drought, you don't think he took the FA Cup seriously this year? You can't do, as Fabianski started every game, including against Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Wigan and Hull.

Strange then, that in the FA Cup, there were the following appearances made over the 6 games Arsenal played:

Sagna - 4 games
Mertesacker - 5 games
Arteta - 5 games
Ozil - 5 games
Giroud - 5 games
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 4 games
Cazorla - 6 games
Gibbs - 5 games
Podolski - 4 games

He obviously didn't care about the tournament eh?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Defence on 11:07 - Jul 22 with 798 viewsDaggyjack

Defence on 10:15 - Jul 22 by eastbanker

Run along? Why would I want to do that, looks like I'm beginning to convince you that Fabianski isn't good enough. Why else would you be so dismissive?

You were right though, it will be a long hard season.....for the poor souls sat next to you at the Liberty every other weekend!!
Defence on 11:20 - Jul 22 with 782 viewsraynor94

Laughable, as i thought you haven't got a clue!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Defence on 12:59 - Jul 22 with 716 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Defence on 03:32 - Jul 21 by Wanderer

I could not give a toss for the stats. That piss poor effort by Vorm against Southamton made me weep. All i want in my goalie is COMMAND YOUR AREA!, bloody Lambert should have been bounced off the post and ended up on the grass looking up at the seagulls in a clear blue sky!

If that was the German keeper I doubt Lambert would have been standing there for it to hit his back

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Defence on 13:41 - Jul 22 with 680 viewsPhil_S

Defence on 11:07 - Jul 22 by Daggyjack

You were right though, it will be a long hard season.....for the poor souls sat next to you at the Liberty every other weekend!!

Can you imagine the carnage if Fabianski makes an error in the opening game?
Defence on 13:53 - Jul 22 with 663 viewsperchrockjack

Personally. I like players who are not cowards. Corm gave that impression

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024