Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time 14:57 - Jul 20 with 2917 viewsDavillin

It is my firm belief that there is no such thing as Time as an entity -- in any sense that it can be located or identified.

It's a system of measurement only.

Let's look at some similar units of measurement that do not exist.

Miles, leagues, acres, feet, yards. Where will I find any of them?

Kilograms, grams, ounces, pounds?

Hot, cold, luke warm, or more specifically zero degrees Celsius, or 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

Hours, minutes, days, years?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Time on 12:04 - Jul 21 with 763 viewsCatullus

Could you remove ageing from time. Our bodies degrade, but if we were non linear life forms, would they still degrade?

And as for units of measurement that do not exist, well they do, they exist because we made them and use them. They exist in our reality.
If there are other realities, they may not exist there, or they may be different sizes and/or names.
Imagine being a non linear life form, being able to move back and fore through what we perceive as time as easily as we walk around our houses.
And if other dimensions exist, are they linear too? Are they just split offs from our dimension, created every time a decision is made (as in when a decision is made, a new dimension is created with the opposite decision) and maybe, in one of those they don't have time?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Time on 14:05 - Jul 21 with 751 viewsDavillin

Time on 12:04 - Jul 21 by Catullus

Could you remove ageing from time. Our bodies degrade, but if we were non linear life forms, would they still degrade?

And as for units of measurement that do not exist, well they do, they exist because we made them and use them. They exist in our reality.
If there are other realities, they may not exist there, or they may be different sizes and/or names.
Imagine being a non linear life form, being able to move back and fore through what we perceive as time as easily as we walk around our houses.
And if other dimensions exist, are they linear too? Are they just split offs from our dimension, created every time a decision is made (as in when a decision is made, a new dimension is created with the opposite decision) and maybe, in one of those they don't have time?

Dash! I accidentally deleted my reply.

You are using a different definition of "exist" from what I used. You wrote, "And as for units of measurement that do not exist, well they do, they exist because we made them and use them. They exist in our reality."

They don't exist in our "reality," in any more-or-less scientific definition of the term. They exist in our imagination.

You use the metric system to measure [mostly], while we use the imperial system [mostly] and other cultures use other systems. They don't agree with each other simply because they are human consstructs used to measure things that actually do exist.

I refuse to get involved in "other realities" or "other dimensions." That's a debating point that's more like a pit of vipers.

Time on 21:59 - Jul 21 with 724 viewsCatullus

Time on 14:05 - Jul 21 by Davillin

You are using a different definition of "exist" from what I used. You wrote, "And as for units of measurement that do not exist, well they do, they exist because we made them and use them. They exist in our reality."

They don't exist in our "reality," in any more-or-less scientific definition of the term. They exist in our imagination.

You use the metric system to measure [mostly], while we use the imperial system [mostly] and other cultures use other systems. They don't agree with each other simply because they are human consstructs used to measure things that actually do exist.

I refuse to get involved in "other realities" or "other dimensions." That's a debating point that's more like a pit of vipers.

I would love to debate the point with you, but I haven't the time! But we are doing a fine job of finding ever more complexity in existing complexities.

Goodnight.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Time on 00:13 - Jul 22 with 708 viewsJackoBoostardo

Time on 14:05 - Jul 21 by Davillin

Yet we are discussing realities as Davillin is clearly not in one! The argument used by Davillin is without grounding, and follows the course that we don't breathe oxygen, as our way of gauging this would be the periodic table - which is a human creation. Additionally, how can we trust microscopes to differentiate between atomic and molecular makeup when this too is a human creation?
Davillin appears to be following the very deep philosophical path taken by Descartes when he asked the question "how do I know I exist?". This was the concept behind the Matrix, and is a path to crazy town if pondered in full.
We can only count on shared and agreed perception, a view shared by the majority must be correct. If most people agree that grass is green, then it must mean grass is green. But as mentioned, it's deeply philosophical!!

If you really want to send someone over the edge, why not throw in some quantum physics into the mix! How about this corker, which is also related to time!! Did you realise there are atoms that react or move differently, only when watched? Consider the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the Quantum Xeno (Turing paradox) if you want to get really deep.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2014 0:29]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Time on 00:35 - Jul 22 with 704 viewsFeynmans_Bongos

Time on 00:13 - Jul 22 by JackoBoostardo

Yet we are discussing realities as Davillin is clearly not in one! The argument used by Davillin is without grounding, and follows the course that we don't breathe oxygen, as our way of gauging this would be the periodic table - which is a human creation. Additionally, how can we trust microscopes to differentiate between atomic and molecular makeup when this too is a human creation?
Davillin appears to be following the very deep philosophical path taken by Descartes when he asked the question "how do I know I exist?". This was the concept behind the Matrix, and is a path to crazy town if pondered in full.
We can only count on shared and agreed perception, a view shared by the majority must be correct. If most people agree that grass is green, then it must mean grass is green. But as mentioned, it's deeply philosophical!!

If you really want to send someone over the edge, why not throw in some quantum physics into the mix! How about this corker, which is also related to time!! Did you realise there are atoms that react or move differently, only when watched? Consider the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the Quantum Xeno (Turing paradox) if you want to get really deep.

Quantum mechanics is just crazy, hopefully at some point we'll actually start understanding it, because we still don't really have a clue, and we've known about it for over a century now
Time on 00:45 - Jul 22 with 693 viewsJackoBoostardo

Time on 00:35 - Jul 22 by Feynmans_Bongos

Quantum mechanics is just crazy, hopefully at some point we'll actually start understanding it, because we still don't really have a clue, and we've known about it for over a century now

It is crazy. So many unknowns, theories and thread starters (tidbits that generate further investigation or raise more questions). But it has also yielded many advancement too!
I didn't get into this field of science, but I do find it amazingly interesting.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Time on 02:38 - Jul 22 with 682 viewsDavillin

Time on 21:59 - Jul 21 by Catullus

I would love to debate the point with you, but I haven't the time! But we are doing a fine job of finding ever more complexity in existing complexities.

Goodnight.

Yeah, and ain't that grand?

Time on 10:45 - Jul 22 with 652 viewsJackoBoostardo

Someone he hasn't blocked able to tell him? This is painful to watch.

Login to get fewer ads

Time on 10:12 - Jul 23 with 610 viewsCatullus

Time on 00:13 - Jul 22 by JackoBoostardo

I'm failry unstable, does anybody want to volunteer to watch me, for the rest of their lives?

Then I'd need another volunteer, etc, etc, and i could live forever!!

If only it were that simple.

It does highlight the other thread and how we understand so very little.

Like I said over there, if we went into space and travelled fast enough for long enough we could go for ten years and maybe 1000 years would have passed on earth, essentially travelling forward in time by slowing down our own ageing.
Or in short, time has been shown to pass more slowly in space, the quicker you are moving.
Is that a reason why time exists, because it behaves differently under different conditions?

Time on 16:56 - Jul 29 with 557 viewsFeynmans_Bongos

Time on 10:12 - Jul 23 by Catullus

I'm failry unstable, does anybody want to volunteer to watch me, for the rest of their lives?

Then I'd need another volunteer, etc, etc, and i could live forever!!

If only it were that simple.

It does highlight the other thread and how we understand so very little.

Like I said over there, if we went into space and travelled fast enough for long enough we could go for ten years and maybe 1000 years would have passed on earth, essentially travelling forward in time by slowing down our own ageing.
Or in short, time has been shown to pass more slowly in space, the quicker you are moving.
Is that a reason why time exists, because it behaves differently under different conditions?

I think the fact that time flows shows it exists, without time nothing would change from moment to moment.
Time on 18:46 - Jul 29 with 527 viewsphact0rri

Yes its hard to really debate the existence of time as linear path. It is a man made concept, that relates to the changing of our reality. The butterfly effect and that. Entropy exists. Things happened before "in the past". and these changes effect the reality we live in. from the concrete.. civilizations to the world around us. Animals no longer exist. The air is not the same as it was. new mass has been built and destroyed and that.

Now the whole time as a bubble and events always playing out somewhere that's an entirely different bag of worms. or the expanding universes business. Mathematically, time can be represented by another dimension. but a lot of things we've created for understanding fall into that category.

I like the idea of time always going about and time travel. But there's so much that we don't really know that its just interesting for the imagination more than anything.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Time on 19:07 - Jul 29 with 522 viewsdickythorpe

"Time please Gentlemen!!" Last orders has well past for this thread FFS
Time on 19:37 - Jul 29 with 515 viewsChono

Looking at my watch it says it's 19:36

Time exists.

Fin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024