Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... 18:44 - Jul 22 with 2156 viewsPlazex

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/caulker-to-qpr-1775153.aspx

Poll: Where will we finish?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:45 - Jul 22 with 2141 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Rumoured to be £8m. Excellent business when you consider Tottenham were confident of getting Ben for £8m.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:53 - Jul 22 with 2076 viewsJackSomething

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:45 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Rumoured to be £8m. Excellent business when you consider Tottenham were confident of getting Ben for £8m.

So getting their money back (minus exorbitant wages of course) on an England international is a better deal than £8m or so profit on Davies?

Must do better Dwight.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:57 - Jul 22 with 2050 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:53 - Jul 22 by JackSomething

So getting their money back (minus exorbitant wages of course) on an England international is a better deal than £8m or so profit on Davies?

Must do better Dwight.

Ben has much more promise than Potential than Steven. He was deemed not good enough by Spurs and captained Cardiff in the heart of their notoriously woeful defence while leading them back to the second division of English football. His career is on a low point and he now has to work his way back up.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:29 - Jul 22 with 1933 viewsJackSomething

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:57 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Ben has much more promise than Potential than Steven. He was deemed not good enough by Spurs and captained Cardiff in the heart of their notoriously woeful defence while leading them back to the second division of English football. His career is on a low point and he now has to work his way back up.

English internationals are in general valued a lot higher than Welsh ones.

If you look at pundits predicting future England squads for tournaments, he's in most of them.

They put a very low release clause in his contract, probably because they had no chance of signing him if they didn't.

You can debate if it they got a good deal or not, but comparing it favourably to Ben is nonsense. You've upped your game recently, but this is too obvious.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:40 - Jul 22 with 1860 viewsblaine_scfc

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:57 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Much more promise and potential that Caulker? You were slagging him off last year, when they leave their quality, when they are with us, they are sh*t.
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:42 - Jul 22 with 1841 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:40 - Jul 22 by blaine_scfc

Much more promise and potential that Caulker? You were slagging him off last year, when they leave their quality, when they are with us, they are sh*t.

He was very poor yes, but I believe that was because he was being greatly over used. There comes a time when most players need to be dropped for their own good. Ben needed to be dropped but neither Laudrup or Garry would do it.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 04:42 - Jul 23 with 1390 viewsCatullus

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:29 - Jul 22 by JackSomething

If you look at pundits predicting future England squads for tournaments, he's in most of them.

They put a very low release clause in his contract, probably because they had no chance of signing him if they didn't.

You can debate if it they got a good deal or not, but comparing it favourably to Ben is nonsense. You've upped your game recently, but this is too obvious.

Are you suggesting that without a low release clause, Caulker wouldn't have signed for Cardiff?
What do you think, Warwick?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 06:49 - Jul 23 with 1332 viewsDr_Winston

Sorry, but DYSS ain't far wrong.

When selling a talented young defender (both of whom count as home grown) a skint Championship side managed to get a deal just as good as a cash rich Premier League side. We had a chance to lay down a marker. To show other clubs that we weren't to be exploited when it came to selling our best players. We failed.

Davies should have gone for Allen money, or not gone at all.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 07:23 - Jul 23 with 1287 viewshobo

He has 1 cap!
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 07:27 - Jul 23 with 1272 viewspencoedjack

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 19:42 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

He was very poor yes, but I believe that was because he was being greatly over used. There comes a time when most players need to be dropped for their own good. Ben needed to be dropped but neither Laudrup or Garry would do it.

Where as Caulker played every minute for the Bassey's

Your a fuking troll
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 08:00 - Jul 23 with 1208 viewsAngelRangelQS

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 06:49 - Jul 23 by Dr_Winston

When selling a talented young defender (both of whom count as home grown) a skint Championship side managed to get a deal just as good as a cash rich Premier League side. We had a chance to lay down a marker. To show other clubs that we weren't to be exploited when it came to selling our best players. We failed.

So if Spurs had such an incredible deal on Ben, why weren't other sides falling over themselves?

Personally I think that Gylfi will contribute more to us over the course of the season and will make a bigger impact here than Ben at Spurs.

For the record, I'd have also swapped Ben for Caulker given a chance
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 08:09 - Jul 23 with 1181 viewsNOTRAC

Caulker played more game time than anyone else in the Premiership last sea son.
That in itself must be worth some Browny points.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 08:52 - Jul 23 with 1089 viewshammy

I think you've also got to take into account the relative merits of the buying clubs. I would think that Spurs being a solid top 6 club would have a great attraction for a young player like Ben and they have more buying power (in that they can haggle the fee). QPR on the other hand had to pay over the odds for a player like Caulker given that there was stiff competition from Palace. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a significant sell-on fee should Ben move on to a bigger club.

Ben is yet to fully prove himself and has given himself a great opportunity at a club that is unlikely to struggle, yet is weak in the left back position. Good opportunity and Swans have made a decent profit.

Caulker on the other hand is looking at the last chance saloon if QPR perform in a similar manner to their last visit to the PL. Where would he go next, with the stigma of another relegation to the Championship on his CV ?

I think this is less a case of how much the Swans have lost on the Ben deal, rather than how stupid QPR probably are in pinning their hopes on a centre back that was pretty woeful last year in a relegated team. Even Harry must be worried that an ageing Ferdinand is not going to be able to cover the flaws in Caulker's game.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 08:55 - Jul 23 with 1084 viewsJackSomething

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 07:23 - Jul 23 by hobo

He has 1 cap!

Luke Shaw has 3 caps and was sold for £30m
Phil Jones hadn't been capped and was sold for £16.5m

Your point?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 09:01 - Jul 23 with 1064 viewsJackSomething

The home grown factor may add a small amount of value, but nothing like the mark-up that English players get over any other nationality in the Prem.

While we would obviously have liked to have got more for Ben, surely £10-12m was the highest we could have hoped for? Allen was an amazing deal, but a bit of an anomaly, with Rodgers being desperate to take him with him to Anfield for some reason.

Cardiff have made zero profit on a player who is seen as a future England regular and played every game in the Prem last season (5 goals doesn't hurt either). We have made £8m profit on Ben from one point of view. From the other point of view, we've swapped him for another player worth at least £8m in a position of desperate need.

I don't think this deal is going to harm our reputation for being a tough side to buy from in the way you think it is.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 10:09 - Jul 23 with 961 viewsDr_Winston

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 08:00 - Jul 23 by AngelRangelQS

So if Spurs had such an incredible deal on Ben, why weren't other sides falling over themselves?

Personally I think that Gylfi will contribute more to us over the course of the season and will make a bigger impact here than Ben at Spurs.

For the record, I'd have also swapped Ben for Caulker given a chance

Two of last season's top five were in for him. Is that not enough?

You may be right about their respective impact. Sigurdsson is an excellent player and I expect him to do very well for us. It is also a big step up for Ben, one he may initially struggle to make.

Doesn't change the fact that other clubs have managed to strike far better deals for players that they want to keep than we have.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 10:33 - Jul 23 with 910 viewsperchrockjack

Ben has great potential but he may really be caught out at WHL if he doesn't hit the ground running. he ll be under pressure like he never imagined.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 10:57 - Jul 23 with 880 viewsAngelRangelQS

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 10:09 - Jul 23 by Dr_Winston

Two of last season's top five were in for him. Is that not enough?

You may be right about their respective impact. Sigurdsson is an excellent player and I expect him to do very well for us. It is also a big step up for Ben, one he may initially struggle to make.

Doesn't change the fact that other clubs have managed to strike far better deals for players that they want to keep than we have.

I'm not denying there wasn't interest but if the price we have accepted is so ludicrously low then I would have expected more of a bidding war.

I also don't think that the distinction between a player a club wants to keep and a player it doesn't is massively big.

In any event, as much as we'd have liked to have kept Ben, I am sure that as soon as him leaving opened the door to gylfi returning, we were only too happy to see him go.

I honestly think this is a deal that both sides can be happy with.
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 13:45 - Jul 23 with 717 viewsBonjour

As soon as they offered him £50k a week his head was turned. That puts the buying club in a ridiculously powerful position of buying a want away player. From that point it would've been get what you can and move on.

He's a good prospect but no more - we know that Gylfi works for us - I think we've done well out of the deal.
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:29 - Jul 23 with 657 viewsScoobyDoo

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 18:45 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Doesn't exactly say the terms on the deal Dwight, we know that there was a £8mill release clause and i would like to think that was the price, it was down to personal terms after that. I wish him well as he played every minute last season and i would certainly not blame him for our demise. Good luck to Ben Davies as well.
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:35 - Jul 23 with 645 viewsSweyns_Eye

Selling Caulker for £8 million is in no way 'excellent' business.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:39 - Jul 23 with 639 viewsMattG

Personally, I think Cardiff have done OK to get £8m for Caulker seeing as he was at the heart of a pretty leaky defence all of last season.

Anyone else think the fact that it's a deal between two Malaysian businessmen might have had some bearing on the price?
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:42 - Jul 23 with 629 viewsScoobyDoo

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:35 - Jul 23 by Sweyns_Eye

Selling Caulker for £8 million is in no way 'excellent' business.

There was a release clause of £8 million, teams don't have to offer more, it's down to personal terms then.
Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 15:17 - Jul 23 with 584 viewsSweyns_Eye

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 14:42 - Jul 23 by ScoobyDoo

There was a release clause of £8 million, teams don't have to offer more, it's down to personal terms then.

Hi Scooby,

I agree with you. Plus add in Caulker's probable desire to play at the highest level he can and not kick around in a lower division which wouldn't do much for his international level aspirations.

For Cardiff, getting a high wage earner off the books and free up some money for the transfer kitty is pragmatic business assuming Tan adds it to the pot. But its not excellent business as Dwight makes out.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 16:34 - Jul 23 with 503 viewsScoobyDoo

Meanwhile in the crapital of Wales... on 15:17 - Jul 23 by Sweyns_Eye

Hi Scooby,

I agree with you. Plus add in Caulker's probable desire to play at the highest level he can and not kick around in a lower division which wouldn't do much for his international level aspirations.

For Cardiff, getting a high wage earner off the books and free up some money for the transfer kitty is pragmatic business assuming Tan adds it to the pot. But its not excellent business as Dwight makes out.

Never agree with these get out clauses Sweyn, either pay what their worth or not. Maybe it's a good deal if we have had £ 8 Million although the details have not been revealed i wish him well though. To think we let Ramsey go for a pittance is criminal but i suppose we were desperate in them days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024