Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK 18:57 - Jul 22 with 4939 viewsFree_Willy

Reading this article in the guardian, this chap Monboit says we should reintroduce wolves, bears and other species back into the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2014/jul/21/infrastructure-

What's your opinion?
Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 18:58 - Jul 22 with 3645 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

No. The people of the United Kingdom are too ignorant / not educated enough to understand what would be needed to successfully do this.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:00 - Jul 22 with 3645 viewsexiledclaseboy

I haven't read this particular article but as one of the hated Guardianistas of long standing and proud, I've read lots of Monbiot over the years. I can confirm that he is gloriously, unrestrainedly bonkers.

Poll: Tory leader

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:06 - Jul 22 with 3633 viewsexiledclaseboy

Although having now read it, he must be having a lucid week because it makes a lot of sense.

And nowhere does he say we should reintroduce wolves and/or bears back into the UK. Gross misrepresentation by the OP again.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:18 - Jul 22 with 3614 viewsWarwickHunt

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:00 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

I haven't read this particular article but as one of the hated Guardianistas of long standing and proud, I've read lots of Monbiot over the years. I can confirm that he is gloriously, unrestrainedly bonkers.

For one horrible moment I thought you were going to defend him, Andrew.

He's f*cking barking. No pun intended.
Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:19 - Jul 22 with 3613 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:18 - Jul 22 by WarwickHunt

For one horrible moment I thought you were going to defend him, Andrew.

He's f*cking barking. No pun intended.

He's always an entertaining read though. But yeah, he's completely hatstand.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:28 - Jul 22 with 3600 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

http://www.livescience.com/46898-mexico-first-wild-born-wolves.html?cmpid=514627

Going well in Mexico.

It is a shame the public here are brain washed into fearing anything that isn't a cat or dog.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:39 - Jul 22 with 3591 viewsDyfnant

He doesn't say bear and wolves should be reintroduced and anyone that would is clearly a thick tw@t

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:40 - Jul 22 with 3590 viewsWarwickHunt

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:28 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

http://www.livescience.com/46898-mexico-first-wild-born-wolves.html?cmpid=514627

Going well in Mexico.

It is a shame the public here are brain washed into fearing anything that isn't a cat or dog.

Saw a great programme a while back about the growth of the wolf population in the USA after numbers had been decimated.
Login to get fewer ads

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:40 - Jul 22 with 3588 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:39 - Jul 22 by Dyfnant

He doesn't say bear and wolves should be reintroduced and anyone that would is clearly a thick tw@t

Do you mean anyone that would want to reintroduce Wolves into the UK is a tw@t?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:43 - Jul 22 with 3583 viewstreboethjack

If done properly and was well thought out then it could be a success. Sadly though as Dwight said I'm not sure the people of the UK would be able to cope with the needs for such a project.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:47 - Jul 22 with 3572 viewsDyfnant

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:40 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Do you mean anyone that would want to reintroduce Wolves into the UK is a tw@t?

Thick tw@t

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:49 - Jul 22 with 3554 viewsexiledclaseboy

I can't think of one good reason why we would want wolves and bears roaming wild in the countryside of the UK. I'm not an expert though, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:52 - Jul 22 with 3548 viewsBanosswan

Wolves would naturally keep the deer population down?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:55 - Jul 22 with 3545 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:52 - Jul 22 by Banosswan

Wolves would naturally keep the deer population down?

And that's good because...?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:58 - Jul 22 with 3534 viewsDarran

Britain is too small for wolves.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:08 - Jul 22 with 3508 viewsBanosswan

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:55 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

Deer reproduce like mad and have no natural predators, so their numbers spiral out of control and they eat everything in sight. That's why they're culled every now and then.

Having said that, I don't think anything should be re-introduced and we should concentrate more on not making the same mistake with our existing wildlife.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:08 - Jul 22 with 3508 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

We might finally win the Eurovenison Song Contest?
Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:12 - Jul 22 with 3500 viewsNeath_Jack

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 19:49 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

I can't think of one good reason why we would want wolves and bears roaming wild in the countryside of the UK. I'm not an expert though, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

One good reason is we could finally answer the age old question, do bears shit in the woods? Struggling with Wolves though.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:14 - Jul 22 with 3491 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:12 - Jul 22 by Neath_Jack

One good reason is we could finally answer the age old question, do bears shit in the woods? Struggling with Wolves though.

Liam Neeson could finally film a decent ending to The Grey?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:18 - Jul 22 with 3478 viewsNeath_Jack

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:14 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

Liam Neeson could finally film a decent ending to The Grey?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 20:59 - Jul 22 with 3433 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

It would save contracting people to cull them every year.

The primary reason wolves were reintroduced in probably the most well known case of wolf reintroduction, in Yellowstone national park, was to try and control the crisis regarding deer or whatever their specific breed was called over consuming on the flora in the park. They were literally turning the park into a wasteland. The same would be happening in many forests here in the U.K. The difference is we shoot the deer in the head with guns to control their population instead of letting their once natural predator do this.

I think many people think that the wolves would attack people, eat your babies and whatever else they have seen in films, probably such as Ice Age (the children's film). I could write an essay on this. I did last year. It's really interesting.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:01 - Jul 22 with 3429 viewsexiledclaseboy

On balance, I'd prefer culling deer with a single gunshot to the head than introducing wolves to do it. Although this is the first I've hear of the Great Deer Crisis engulfing out woodlands.

So still no sensible reason for reintroducing wolves to the UK.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:12 - Jul 22 with 3413 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:01 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

On balance, I'd prefer culling deer with a single gunshot to the head than introducing wolves to do it. Although this is the first I've hear of the Great Deer Crisis engulfing out woodlands.

So still no sensible reason for reintroducing wolves to the UK.

It happens annually. It happens as locally as Margam Park. Here are the figures regarding number of species culled annually since 2005, I used it in my report last year. The information was provided by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:15 - Jul 22 with 3407 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:12 - Jul 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It happens annually. It happens as locally as Margam Park. Here are the figures regarding number of species culled annually since 2005, I used it in my report last year. The information was provided by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.

I'm not disputing it, my young friend, just saying I'd not heard about it.

You appear to be advocating introducing a pack of wolves into, for example, Margam Park purely to keep the deer population down.

I'm going to leave the forum consider that and come to its own conclusion.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:19 - Jul 22 with 3400 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Should wolves be reintroduced into the UK on 21:15 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

I'm not disputing it, my young friend, just saying I'd not heard about it.

You appear to be advocating introducing a pack of wolves into, for example, Margam Park purely to keep the deer population down.

I'm going to leave the forum consider that and come to its own conclusion.

In my first post in this thread, my first word even, I said no. It would be a bad idea all round. I was just pointing out that it has been done successfully in other highly populated and developed countries and could work here too if done a certain way.

I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024