Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ebola 19:10 - Jul 23 with 1947 viewsCountyJim

What a terrifying virus and now the doctor leading the fight has caught it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28439941
Ebola on 20:17 - Jul 23 with 1494 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

If fruit bats are the sole cause of this virus then I'm all for wiping them out.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Ebola on 20:20 - Jul 23 with 1495 viewsdickythorpe

Ebola on 12:02 - Jul 30 with 1339 viewsCountyJim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558783

Dont say I didnt warn you
Ebola on 12:27 - Jul 30 with 1311 viewsHighjack

Is this one going to kill us before or after SARS and Bird Flu?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Ebola on 13:43 - Jul 30 with 1252 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ebola on 12:27 - Jul 30 by Highjack

Is this one going to kill us before or after SARS and Bird Flu?

We're all f*cked as the last anti biotic to be developed was in the 80's

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ebola on 13:45 - Jul 30 with 1248 viewsHighjack

Ebola on 13:43 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

We're all f*cked as the last anti biotic to be developed was in the 80's

Well since Ebola is a virus antibiotics would do bugger all anyway.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Ebola on 13:51 - Jul 30 with 1234 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ebola on 13:45 - Jul 30 by Highjack

Well since Ebola is a virus antibiotics would do bugger all anyway.

Oh right. I'm not a doctor really you see.I just impersonate one from time .

Ebola on 13:57 - Jul 30 with 1230 viewsLiam

There's no threat they're just whipping up a panic as a distraction.

Although contagious, the difficulty in catching it other than from blood/bodily fluid contact in addition to the incredibly debilitating symptoms making any carrier immobile is a no brainer. There is no threat.
Login to get fewer ads

Ebola on 14:49 - Jul 30 with 1198 viewsCatullus

Ebola on 13:57 - Jul 30 by Liam

There's no threat they're just whipping up a panic as a distraction.

Although contagious, the difficulty in catching it other than from blood/bodily fluid contact in addition to the incredibly debilitating symptoms making any carrier immobile is a no brainer. There is no threat.

Immobile......apart from the fella who got on a plane and flew to a different country?

Incubation can take up to 21 days, you can go a long way in three weeks. What if a European based pro footballer got it. At this time of year he could visit 3/4 countries before knowing he was ill.
And international travel is so common now that this has to be treated seriously. After all, it is 90% lethal
And worse of all, things like this cause panic and people run away. If they are unwittingly infected, they spread it further. But with 600 dead and a further 1200 infected (up to this morning) We can't afford to be blase.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ebola on 14:54 - Jul 30 with 1193 viewsHighjack

"But with 600 dead and a further 1200 infected (up to this morning) We can't afford to be blase."

I would argue that common influenza has killed and infected more people worldwide recently and that's a million times more contagious.

Ebola on 15:01 - Jul 30 with 1184 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ebola on 14:54 - Jul 30 by Highjack

"But with 600 dead and a further 1200 infected (up to this morning) We can't afford to be blase."

I would argue that common influenza has killed and infected more people worldwide recently and that's a million times more contagious.

Malaria has killed over half the human beings ever to have lived on this planet. FACT

Ebola on 15:01 - Jul 30 with 1184 viewsCatullus

Ebola on 14:54 - Jul 30 by Highjack

And how lethal is influenza? Is it 90% lethal? We cannot allow Ebola to hit Europe where we are all crammed in so tight. It could spread worldwide in days.

In America when H1N1 hit, about 60 million Americans contracted it, about 12000 died. Now imagine if that was Ebola, that would read 54 million deaths.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Ebola on 15:07 - Jul 30 with 1172 viewsFlashberryjack

Ebola on 15:01 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

Malaria has killed over half the human beings ever to have lived on this planet. FACT

Now how in gods name do you know that to be a fact ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Ebola on 15:11 - Jul 30 with 1164 viewsHighjack

Ebola on 15:01 - Jul 30 by Catullus

And how lethal is influenza? Is it 90% lethal? We cannot allow Ebola to hit Europe where we are all crammed in so tight. It could spread worldwide in days.

In America when H1N1 hit, about 60 million Americans contracted it, about 12000 died. Now imagine if that was Ebola, that would read 54 million deaths.

Ebola isn't that contagious so it would take an awful long time to spread amongst 60 million people.

Ebola on 15:47 - Jul 30 with 1136 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ebola on 15:07 - Jul 30 by Flashberryjack

Now how in gods name do you know that to be a fact ?

It is. Read up on it. It's really not that outlandish when you think that a cure/treatment for Malaria has only been known for two centuries tops

Ebola on 15:49 - Jul 30 with 1126 viewsHighjack

The prospect of a stubbed toe is morr terrifying than the ebola thing.

Ebola on 15:50 - Jul 30 with 1126 viewsScoobyWho

Ebola on 20:17 - Jul 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

If fruit bats are the sole cause of this virus then I'm all for wiping them out.

Are The people of Sierra Leone fruit bats ?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 15:51]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Ebola on 19:30 - Jul 30 with 1054 viewsscottishjack

All good publicity for the new Planet of the Apes film... Virus wipes out mankind etc...
Ebola on 19:46 - Jul 30 with 1041 viewsCatullus

Ebola on 15:11 - Jul 30 by Highjack

Ebola isn't that contagious so it would take an awful long time to spread amongst 60 million people.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/14/health/gupta-ebola-guinea/

Maybe it's not that easy to catch, but if you are more worried about a stubbed toe then you are either being a wum or a fool.

I hope it's WUM! I never took you for a fool.

Ebola on 19:50 - Jul 30 with 1036 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ooh, the latest disease that's going to wipe us all out. Terrified.

Poll: Tory leader

Ebola on 19:58 - Jul 30 with 1017 viewsOnslow

Stupidity will kill us all before any former Leeds Utd centre forward

She keeps passin' me by...

Ebola on 20:02 - Jul 30 with 1007 viewsdickythorpe

Ebola on 19:58 - Jul 30 by Onslow

Stupidity will kill us all before any former Leeds Utd centre forward

The Agboola virus is worse

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Agboola
Ebola on 21:01 - Jul 30 with 976 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Ebola on 15:01 - Jul 30 by Catullus

It would be very unlikely for ebola to spread any further than a localised epidemic. There are a few reasons for this:

1. I am no expert on ebola disease dynamics, but generally when an infected person is not yet showing symptoms (as in the air travel man) they are also usually of low infectivity. It's only when they are showing signs of the disease that they are of maximum infectivity - ebola is such a dramatic disease that at this point they are too sick to go much further than bed aka effectively quarantined

2. Ebola spreads by fruit bats and close human contact. The fruit bats do increase risk within the local region for disease contraction, however close human contact is actually a really inefficient way for a disease to spread, particularly when the disease has obvious clinical signs. An exception would be something like HIV where the resulting clinical signs can be absent for a number of years while remaining intermittently infectious, allowing spread.

3. In a bit of a grim way the disease actually limits itself by being so deadly. In the same way as severe clinical signs limit disease transmission, so does a swift death as obviously a dead person isn't wandering around infecting other people.

4. You bring up a point about H1N1. Whilst 12,000 deaths is obviously a tragedy, actually in context of 60 million americans, that's a mortality rate of 0.02%. If you got a disease and were told you are 99.98% likely to survive would you be massively concerned? Contrast this with ebola at 50-90% and you can see what I've explained above in action with previous outbreaks being in 100's to 1000's rather than the millions you fear.
Ebola on 00:55 - Jul 31 with 904 viewsjackportis

Didnt dustin hofman find a cure for this in that film vomgo? Keep up.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Ebola on 01:09 - Jul 31 with 896 viewsHighjack

Ebola on 19:50 - Jul 30 by exiledclaseboy

Ooh, the latest disease that's going to wipe us all out. Terrified.

Yeah it's not quite as deadly as goat herpes which is going to be the next thing that'll kill us all in about 5 years.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024