Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh should be taught in all British schools 14:11 - Jul 24 with 7720 viewsyescomeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/welsh-taught-in-british-sch

Interesting article sent to me by a friend. Some good points well made.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:14 - Jul 24 with 3214 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes, let's drag the English school children's education down to the embarrassing levels the Welsh children's is currently at too.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:17 - Jul 24 with 3210 viewsmart6

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:14 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes, let's drag the English school children's education down to the embarrassing levels the Welsh children's is currently at too.

You being a prime example
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:32 - Jul 24 with 3180 viewstreboethjack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:14 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Welsh speaking schools have better records when it comes to exam results, discipline and inspections in Wales. I'm not sure how schools across the border do.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:36 - Jul 24 with 3172 viewsNeath_Jack

All kids in Wales should be taught in Welsh medium schools. With the odd English school dotted about for those that wish to opt out.

F*ck the rest of Britain.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:37 - Jul 24 with 3167 viewsyescomeon

Bilingualism is an advantage for children, regardless of what the two languages are. I found the points she made regarding "British Nationalism" to be interesting and echo my own views.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:13 - Jul 24 with 3131 viewsJohnw102

Don't seem to teach English in a lot of schools these days, by what I can gather listening to kids.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:27 - Jul 24 with 3115 viewsHighjack

Good god no. We'd all be covered in saliva from head to foot!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:37 - Jul 24 with 3105 viewscostalotta

What a joke!!

Welsh should be optional end of.

I don't argue that there is some cultural positives to this, but c'mon!

Someone in thread asked about the performance of English schools versus welsh schools. The very sad fact is since we've had the WAG and the welsh language activists have had a voice our education system in Wales has become one of the worst in Europe. There are plenty of stats and new stories to back this up.

We should not be gambling our kids education and if they are to learn a language they should be encouraged to learn one with which they can converse with those from other countries. I'd suggest a language from one of the emerging economic powerhouses.
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:02 - Jul 24 with 3074 viewsDr_Winston

Shouldn't even be taught in Welsh schools.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:10 - Jul 24 with 3061 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:37 - Jul 24 by costalotta

What a joke!!

Welsh should be optional end of.

I don't argue that there is some cultural positives to this, but c'mon!

Someone in thread asked about the performance of English schools versus welsh schools. The very sad fact is since we've had the WAG and the welsh language activists have had a voice our education system in Wales has become one of the worst in Europe. There are plenty of stats and new stories to back this up.

We should not be gambling our kids education and if they are to learn a language they should be encouraged to learn one with which they can converse with those from other countries. I'd suggest a language from one of the emerging economic powerhouses.

It always amazes me that children from many countries far, far worse off than ours are able to speak their national language and also speak an acceptable level of English.

Meanwhile children in the U.K speak their national language (English) and that's it. We teach French, German and Welsh one hour a week but nobody learns it. You aren't able to speak the language once you're done in school. It really is staggering.

If I do have children and I lived in Wales at the time I'd undoubtedly send them to a Welsh school so they can speak two languages, although I'd much rather have them learn a more productive language than Welsh which is pretty pointless in my opinion.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:24 - Jul 24 with 3012 viewsThursday

As far as I'm aware, there are two compulsory subjects taught in Wales that should be abolished to make way for more suitable subjects. The two subjects should be taught as sections of more comprehensive subjects. Welsh and Religion. Have an encompassing 'Intro to European Languages' as part of History so children can decide on a second language, and pop 'Religious Studies' into Philosophy. To keep it fair, drop 'English' as a second language in Welsh school (if it's compulsory now).
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:47 - Jul 24 with 2997 viewsApeShit

Welsh should be optional, outside of Wales it is utterly pointless.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:57 - Jul 24 with 2983 viewscanhecatchit

Well I only speak English because as you say they only gave Welsh for a couple of hours a week at our local school. However my three sons were sent to a Welsh medium school and belive it or not have excelled at all subjects. They have also picked up and done well at German Spanish and French.
So don;t say learning Welsh is a bad idea or a waste of time. Just because you couldn't be assed !!!

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:58 - Jul 24 with 2978 viewsJackfath

Who is going to teach all this extra Welsh?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:59 - Jul 24 with 2979 viewscanhecatchit

Semme also that English is now being taught as a foreign language in England of all places.

Half the English people can't speak their own language either

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:01 - Jul 24 with 2978 viewsApeShit

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:57 - Jul 24 by canhecatchit

Well I only speak English because as you say they only gave Welsh for a couple of hours a week at our local school. However my three sons were sent to a Welsh medium school and belive it or not have excelled at all subjects. They have also picked up and done well at German Spanish and French.
So don;t say learning Welsh is a bad idea or a waste of time. Just because you couldn't be assed !!!

So you're saying the only reasons your sons excelled in all subjects and done well at German, Spanish and French is because they learnt Welsh?

Its not that I can't be "assed" its that I would have no use for it, so it would be a waste of my time.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:07 - Jul 24 with 2971 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:57 - Jul 24 by canhecatchit

Anecdotal.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:20 - Jul 24 with 2956 viewsunion_jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:47 - Jul 24 by ApeShit

Welsh should be optional, outside of Wales it is utterly pointless.

And in Wales to be honest.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:27 - Jul 24 with 2949 viewsperchrockjack

I recall recently reading standards in Wales were well behind most areas in England so anecdotal indeed. The school my son went to had 98% pass rate in A-D grades ;other areas of Wirral is 40%.

Welsh has no use outside Wales. It is a minority language that's been forced on many kids who will never use it socially/So what.Its more important to bring them up as good citizens who look outside WALES into the big world not hark back to a language that needs government help and money to keep it going.

Wales is well behind in university entrants and how does Welsh help

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:31 - Jul 24 with 2941 viewsunion_jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:27 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

I recall recently reading standards in Wales were well behind most areas in England so anecdotal indeed. The school my son went to had 98% pass rate in A-D grades ;other areas of Wirral is 40%.

Welsh has no use outside Wales. It is a minority language that's been forced on many kids who will never use it socially/So what.Its more important to bring them up as good citizens who look outside WALES into the big world not hark back to a language that needs government help and money to keep it going.

Wales is well behind in university entrants and how does Welsh help

I was going to pin my colours to the mast but you did it for me in the second paragraph Perch. Though your post was probably more polite than mine would have been!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:45 - Jul 24 with 2928 viewsperchrockjack

Don't mind being shot at but its the truth,really it is.
Welsh would only be spoken in ne WALES parts of CARMS and north PEMBS if not subsidised massively.
WALES is tiny in the world .Its economy utterly reliant on England and bilingualism would help.
KIDS need to be bilingual in langauges that will help them in commerce and business not because of a need to comply by some welsh quango.FRENCH,,Italian,Spanish,German,Mandarin,Portuguese, Japanese are the languages.

Theres not many companies in Wales of any worth to have Welsh as an advantage. Many firms are leaving WALES sadly. MAYBE IF WE GREW UP A BIT AND LOOKED AT THE BIG WORLD we d be better off.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:59 - Jul 24 with 2911 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:45 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

Don't mind being shot at but its the truth,really it is.
Welsh would only be spoken in ne WALES parts of CARMS and north PEMBS if not subsidised massively.
WALES is tiny in the world .Its economy utterly reliant on England and bilingualism would help.
KIDS need to be bilingual in langauges that will help them in commerce and business not because of a need to comply by some welsh quango.FRENCH,,Italian,Spanish,German,Mandarin,Portuguese, Japanese are the languages.

Theres not many companies in Wales of any worth to have Welsh as an advantage. Many firms are leaving WALES sadly. MAYBE IF WE GREW UP A BIT AND LOOKED AT THE BIG WORLD we d be better off.

What a load of nonsense from an ex Welshman, now an Englishman.

Pray tell, how is Italian, Portuguese, Spanish are more useful than Welsh? Eh? There is a very small percentage of people that end up in international business where some of those are of use, other than that, they're allright when you go on holidays i suppose. LOL.

Welsh Not. C*nts.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:04 - Jul 24 with 2904 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:59 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Pray tell, how is Italian, Portuguese, Spanish are more useful than Welsh? Eh? There is a very small percentage of people that end up in international business where some of those are of use, other than that, they're allright when you go on holidays i suppose. LOL.

Welsh Not. C*nts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:06 - Jul 24 with 2902 viewsApeShit

Welsh Not. C*nts.

There is about 20 countries who speak Spanish as their first language and over 450 million people speak Spanish.

Can't speak for the other languages.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:17 - Jul 24 with 2887 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Not. C*nts.

About half a million people tops speak Welsh. Not all of them fluently. All of them also speak English.

Hundreds of millions of people speak either Spanish or Portuguese.

Simple maths proves the use.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024