Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh should be taught in all British schools 14:11 - Jul 24 with 7943 viewsyescomeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/welsh-taught-in-british-sch

Interesting article sent to me by a friend. Some good points well made.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:34 - Jul 24 with 1121 viewstrampie

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:14 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes, let's drag the English school children's education down to the embarrassing levels the Welsh children's is currently at too.

The Romans, Normans and later day authors might have a different view of the relative merits of both.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:37 - Jul 24 with 1115 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:31 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

,having it as a first language and from speaking it from cradle.huge swathes of north wales detest having to wade through welsh language matters.it really is not the mother ,tongue of most.if it's yours terrific but it should be spoken in family having been passed down the generation.me old man had a house virtually English free butt they moved to find work and welsh wasn't as important as earning a living

Yeah and why? Because our ancestors were stopped from speaking it by our so called English rulers, do you not think that was wrong? Who knows if that hadn't happened, we might all be speaking it now.

You're meant to be a passionate Welshman, yes? So why is it you are so against your nation of birth speaking their rightful language? I don't get it myself. And as i said, don't give me the old fanny about it not being useful, neither is French, Spanish or any other foreign language, unless you are an international businessman.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:42 - Jul 24 with 1103 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:37 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

Yeah and why? Because our ancestors were stopped from speaking it by our so called English rulers, do you not think that was wrong? Who knows if that hadn't happened, we might all be speaking it now.

You're meant to be a passionate Welshman, yes? So why is it you are so against your nation of birth speaking their rightful language? I don't get it myself. And as i said, don't give me the old fanny about it not being useful, neither is French, Spanish or any other foreign language, unless you are an international businessman.

I think it's useful if you wish to travel during holidays and wish to converse with locals.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:43 - Jul 24 with 1103 viewsperchrockjack

This.not my fault parents spoke English at home.i took other languages in school as welsh was a dead language as such.

You can be proud as many are without speaking welsh in the same way that just by speaking welsh doesn't a good person nor a passionate Welshman make.ive done business with countless hogs to whom welsh is just the language they ve been brought up with. Anything for a scarp in it neat hie?..

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:44 - Jul 24 with 1101 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:42 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

I think it's useful if you wish to travel during holidays and wish to converse with locals.

I tend to find that speaking loudly at them very slowly while waving my hands and pointing indiscriminately works just as well.

Poll: Tory leader

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:46 - Jul 24 with 1096 viewsperchrockjack

Oh yes..what I'm more concerned about is not the language but the reason why wales is so poor. It's not down to language too.it also wouldn't have mattered if we had independence.can u imagine the in fighting if we were

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:46 - Jul 24 with 1095 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:44 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

I tend to find that speaking loudly at them very slowly while waving my hands and pointing indiscriminately works just as well.

Asking where you can get sausage and chips as that foreign muck tastes horrible.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:47 - Jul 24 with 1093 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:42 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

Aye, brilliant.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:48 - Jul 24 with 1087 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:43 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

This.not my fault parents spoke English at home.i took other languages in school as welsh was a dead language as such.

You can be proud as many are without speaking welsh in the same way that just by speaking welsh doesn't a good person nor a passionate Welshman make.ive done business with countless hogs to whom welsh is just the language they ve been brought up with. Anything for a scarp in it neat hie?..

To be honest, i've no idea what you are on about here. So i'll just nod and smile

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:49 - Jul 24 with 1085 viewsperchrockjack

Sausage and chips?you ll be one of those wi hankie on head and braces t hold oop pants

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 23:36 - Jul 24 with 1044 viewsSkipTheJack

A very good article indeed. She's absolutely right.

I think the reason I don't identify at all with the "British" identity, flag, monarchy, anthem or values, and instead consider myself 100% Welsh and only Welsh, is exactly because the "British" identity is really an English identity being forced on a diverse collection of peoples. Wales might not be getting invaded by English armies any more, but our cultural heritage is still under sustained attack.

I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone here in England (where I live) who actually realises that Welsh was once the language of all Britain, and hung on in parts of South West Scotland and North West England long after these regions became separated from Wales. In fact, it's not so much that Welsh people speak our own language and more that Wales is the only part of the country where you can still here the old British language spoken. The great 7th/8th century English historian Bede referred to the Welsh language as 'British', and English as 'Anglo-Saxon'.

The idea of teaching people in England some words of Welsh is, of course, nonsense; but what we really need is a much more balanced union in which a "British" identity is sourced from all the constituent parts, and everybody has some understanding of real British (i.e. non-English) history. Perhaps then there would be less antipathy in Scotland and Wales towards Britishness, and less demand for independence.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 00:44 - Jul 25 with 1032 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 23:36 - Jul 24 by SkipTheJack

I think the reason I don't identify at all with the "British" identity, flag, monarchy, anthem or values, and instead consider myself 100% Welsh and only Welsh, is exactly because the "British" identity is really an English identity being forced on a diverse collection of peoples. Wales might not be getting invaded by English armies any more, but our cultural heritage is still under sustained attack.

I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone here in England (where I live) who actually realises that Welsh was once the language of all Britain, and hung on in parts of South West Scotland and North West England long after these regions became separated from Wales. In fact, it's not so much that Welsh people speak our own language and more that Wales is the only part of the country where you can still here the old British language spoken. The great 7th/8th century English historian Bede referred to the Welsh language as 'British', and English as 'Anglo-Saxon'.

The idea of teaching people in England some words of Welsh is, of course, nonsense; but what we really need is a much more balanced union in which a "British" identity is sourced from all the constituent parts, and everybody has some understanding of real British (i.e. non-English) history. Perhaps then there would be less antipathy in Scotland and Wales towards Britishness, and less demand for independence.

We could just kick the English back out rather than kowtowing with the offer of incorporating the Welsh a little back into a British identity.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 10:25 - Jul 25 with 985 viewsperchrockjack

I consider that the most important things of all are.
1. good health
2.to live in a country that is (relatively) safe
3.To be able to have children who can grown up free , well educated and achieve whatever they want to .

If they are Welsh/British/English whatever is really of no consequence. Whatever language you speak to communicate is fine. PEOPLE WHO DONT USE IT SHOULD BE RESPECTED.

What happened in the past is just that really. 50% 90% 100% spoke welsh? so what. What possible significance does that have today. We live in a an ever changing world and its getting smaller and guess what.. most of it speaks English.

Sometimes I really do wish the English would get out of WALES but seeing as its 2014 and we are utterly reliant on England for everything then a voice in my head says-dickhead.

The ability to speak Welsh is and should be viewed as being quaint and no more. Its not a pre resquisite to be Welsh and frankly if it is then I ll be Tongan,as if Welsh speakers in north west WALES are the truest Welshiest Welsh- and they are- then count me out.

I d much rather be a good father,husband and citizen than a good Welshman if push come to shove because if you are judged just on what language you speak rather than the person you are then bury me deep now.

so there...that l, keep you going for a while as Im off to Colwyn BAY soon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:31 - Jul 25 with 962 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:59 - Jul 24 by Neath_Jack

What a load of nonsense from an ex Welshman, now an Englishman.

Pray tell, how is Italian, Portuguese, Spanish are more useful than Welsh? Eh? There is a very small percentage of people that end up in international business where some of those are of use, other than that, they're allright when you go on holidays i suppose. LOL.

Welsh Not. C*nts.

FFS Wake up and smell the coffee !!

If you cannot answer that question yourself there is no helping you!
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:33 - Jul 25 with 960 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:31 - Jul 24 by Thursday

I find it hard to believe that you have not used algebra etc. repeatedly in everyday life. I do believe that most people don't realize they are doing it. My good reason for limiting Welsh teaching would be to create time for more useful subjects.

This!
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:40 - Jul 25 with 954 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:31 - Jul 25 by costalotta

FFS Wake up and smell the coffee !!

If you cannot answer that question yourself there is no helping you!

Great reply.

Go away, and type out a reasoned response then get back to me. Make sure you read all my other replies in this thread first though.

Good lad.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:48 - Jul 25 with 947 viewsperchrockjack

ex Welshman? NOW you re struggling cos you ve resorted to getting personal. YOU VE LOST THE ARGUMENT.

Welsh more useful than Spanish? really.. Check many countries speak it as mother tongue. How much business is conducted in it. PORTUGUESE? well there s 150m world wide that speak it, Italian? come on, I d say Welsh would be as uselful as Icelandic world wide.
ITS A BIG WORLD and most don't give a feck about Welsh ;its English you have to speak and speak well in commerce. If you don't, you die as a business.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:53 - Jul 25 with 944 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:48 - Jul 25 by perchrockjack

ex Welshman? NOW you re struggling cos you ve resorted to getting personal. YOU VE LOST THE ARGUMENT.

Welsh more useful than Spanish? really.. Check many countries speak it as mother tongue. How much business is conducted in it. PORTUGUESE? well there s 150m world wide that speak it, Italian? come on, I d say Welsh would be as uselful as Icelandic world wide.
ITS A BIG WORLD and most don't give a feck about Welsh ;its English you have to speak and speak well in commerce. If you don't, you die as a business.

Are you in a time warp? You are replying to something that i asked of you last night. Read it again and then come back to me, paying particular attention to how these wonderful languages have enhanced your life/career. I'm off now as i'm not retired yet. Catch you later.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:00 - Jul 25 with 943 viewstrampie

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 23:36 - Jul 24 by SkipTheJack

Excellent post 'SkipTheJack'.

I feel the same, I consider myself Welsh and only Welsh because the 'British' identity is really an English identity that I don't identify with as I regard myself as Welsh.

The title of this thread is 'Welsh should be taught in all British schools', our history should be taught in all schools, particularly schools in Wales but our history is the history of most if not all of Britain.

And what is glorious about Welsh history is how highly fairness and equality is held, the laws of Hywel Dda, the rights of women, sharing land equally after death etc, our values are different to Anglo Saxon values, our cultural values are something to be proud of and it's a pity it's not thoroughly taught in schools.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2014 13:03]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:06 - Jul 25 with 938 viewsperchrockjack

Time warp? really.

Yep if you can speak French its good ,Spanish -they ll help you as its tricky pronouncation, German gives you respect as they all speak English and Italian is good for food drink and opera.

Welsh ;I can speak a little and tried in in CAERNARFON once and got a whole lot of distain because it was south Welsh. Not friendly, not helpful and therefore useless

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:24 - Jul 25 with 929 viewsScotia

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:58 - Jul 24 by Jackfath

Who is going to teach all this extra Welsh?

I'd have thought it would be similar to the rest of the public sector. People who get jobs because they can speak Welsh, rather than actually being any good at the job they are doing.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:33 - Jul 25 with 922 viewsdickythorpe

What language is sign language taught in?
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:34 - Jul 25 with 922 viewsjackonicko

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:44 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

I added up the other day that I can ask for "two beers, please" in 14 different languages.

I can't say anything else, but I've found that this, plus some shouting and arm waving, pretty much suffices.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:00 - Jul 25 with 908 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:17 - Jul 24 by trampie

The articles headline does not describe well the content of the article.

If you read it, it tells the reader basically that the Welsh are the true indigenous peoples of Britannia, these islands belong to the Welsh, there is no such thing as British in the sense the colonialists try to portray, we are the Britons, the Welsh are the Britons the English [as some of them might tell us] are a mixture of some of the greatest races in the world, some Welsh have various names for this mixture that I can't remember now.

Is it right for colonialists to try and kill the culture and language of the native peoples ?
What if Urdu becomes the main language of Britain in a hundred years or so, would the people that say the Welsh language is useless say the same if they were one of a small minority of English speakers still left in that scenario ?

It seems to me the writer is more concerned about the culture and identity of a group of peoples from these islands and is using the example of language to try and get over a point.

Glad someone actually read it

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:01 - Jul 25 with 907 viewsdan_swansea

I went to a welsh medium school but I haven't spoken a word of welsh since I started university. It's only been a year but I already feel as though I've forgotten a lot of it.

Poll: Safe standing; what's your thoughts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024