Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh should be taught in all British schools 14:11 - Jul 24 with 7857 viewsyescomeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/welsh-taught-in-british-sch

Interesting article sent to me by a friend. Some good points well made.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:46 - Jul 27 with 929 viewsChono

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:35 - Jul 27 by trampie

Absolute rubbish, Welsh culure has been on going for about 2000 years, you are airbrushing the likes of Owain Glyndwr, Hywel Dda and Gwenllian out of history.

Look out, Dafydd Iwan's had an Albright
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:10 - Jul 27 with 901 viewscockett_jack

A folly of the nationalists that typically panders to the slim minority and is not based on any argument on utility/the wider world.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:55 - Jul 27 with 879 viewsperchrockjack

So 1000years of history is helpful .yeah ok

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 10:35 - Jul 28 with 837 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:37 - Jul 24 by costalotta

What a joke!!

Welsh should be optional end of.

I don't argue that there is some cultural positives to this, but c'mon!

Someone in thread asked about the performance of English schools versus welsh schools. The very sad fact is since we've had the WAG and the welsh language activists have had a voice our education system in Wales has become one of the worst in Europe. There are plenty of stats and new stories to back this up.

We should not be gambling our kids education and if they are to learn a language they should be encouraged to learn one with which they can converse with those from other countries. I'd suggest a language from one of the emerging economic powerhouses.

Reading the article it's got nothing to do with education in an exam results sense but a trying to make a general awareness (instead of the ignorance held by most English people in the street) of basic British culture as opposed to having English culture as the dominating force.

Perhaps English people in general would benefit from this and realize just how culture rich Britain actually is. She's not suggesting that Welsh should be compulsory but it should be used in the context of demonstrating British identity and culture and educating those over the border that there's a lot more history to do with the British Isles than just concentrating on the Saxon invasion onwards . The Mabinogion tales are known in England but I would guess only by the very well educated. It may be of interest to English youngsters to know a bit about pre Saxon British history, Arthurian legend and also the Roman occupation in more depth.

The longer term objective as I read it was for a stronger more cohesive Britain . Not a bad aim.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 11:36 - Jul 28 with 826 viewstrampie

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 10:35 - Jul 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Reading the article it's got nothing to do with education in an exam results sense but a trying to make a general awareness (instead of the ignorance held by most English people in the street) of basic British culture as opposed to having English culture as the dominating force.

Perhaps English people in general would benefit from this and realize just how culture rich Britain actually is. She's not suggesting that Welsh should be compulsory but it should be used in the context of demonstrating British identity and culture and educating those over the border that there's a lot more history to do with the British Isles than just concentrating on the Saxon invasion onwards . The Mabinogion tales are known in England but I would guess only by the very well educated. It may be of interest to English youngsters to know a bit about pre Saxon British history, Arthurian legend and also the Roman occupation in more depth.

The longer term objective as I read it was for a stronger more cohesive Britain . Not a bad aim.

Nice post Brynmill.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 23:08 - Jul 28 with 789 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 10:35 - Jul 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Tremendous post, Bryn.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 07:39 - Jul 29 with 757 viewsStarsky

A most eloquent contribution.
Well done BJ

It's just the internet, init.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 11:59 - Jul 29 with 733 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I'm overwhelmed. Thanks guys

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:50 - Jul 29 with 705 viewsperchrockjack

Wasn't that good

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 22:26 - Jul 29 with 683 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:50 - Jul 29 by perchrockjack

Wasn't that good

"It's only a model"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024