Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? 18:37 - Jul 25 with 8820 viewsJackfath

Discuss.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:42 - Jul 26 with 514 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:36 - Jul 26 by Starsky

Are you talking to yourself too?

I was adding to my initial posts, can feel that way at times on here though it seems.

Jackfath - Well done to the WRU For showing some initiative, undoubtably they'll be used to assist in other fields too, may it also mean that some schools focus more on rugby than they do now? Could mean less choices available to our youngsters.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:48 - Jul 26 with 500 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:42 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

I was adding to my initial posts, can feel that way at times on here though it seems.

Jackfath - Well done to the WRU For showing some initiative, undoubtably they'll be used to assist in other fields too, may it also mean that some schools focus more on rugby than they do now? Could mean less choices available to our youngsters.

WRU have identified one area which needs addressing. The drop out of comp aged kids in the sport. It is hoped this will mean they have more chance of keeping numbers which should mean more strength in depth. Can only be a good thing. Assuming school take up the offer. I know some school are sharing the coach between themselves.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:50 - Jul 26 with 500 viewshammy

Ah, the age old argument; Wales is a shit place, with shit people and shit at everthing ! Sporting prowess is a combination of things - talent, determination and facilities. Sometimes the first 2 are enough to make an individual or a team champions. Wales being a small country has limited resources (money, people, etc.) and will always struggle to compete with bigger nations. Over the past 50 years I think we have competed very well across a range of sports and have produced a number of world champions; certainly punched above our circa 3 million people weight. This is likely to continue to a large degree with some years being better than others (just like most countries).

If, as I assume, this thread has been generated from perceived lack of success at the Commonwealth Games, then in comparison to the 2010 Delhi games, we currently have 7 medals (4 silver, 3 bronze) after just over 2 days, compared to 19 medals in 2010 (3 gold, 6 silver, 10 bronze). I think we were targeting 25+ prior to withdrawals of some of our potential winners (due to injury and drug related issues). Could still better the 2010 medal haul though.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:50 - Jul 26 with 500 viewsC_jack

I may be bias, due to my line of work, but the vast majority of coaches I have met across many sports in Wales are committed, knowledgable and passionate about their sport. They can only work with the tools they are given. It's no surprise that we are producing a talented pool of cyclists when we have a fantastic facility to work with in Newport.

In regards to Sport and Leisure, we have a very apathetic government in Wales, where practically none of them give a s**t unless they can be caught on tele cheering the 'boys' on. Whenever cuts come, leisure facilities are the first to feel it.

I can tell you, that very good proposals for investment into facilities/programmes are knocked back because they haven't got the money, or even worse they do but they don't class it as a priority against Education and Healthcare.

Some will argue that should be the case, that's fine but I and many others have fought to demonstrate how a healthier and sportier nation can drastically reduce the costs of healthcare, lower the levels of crime etc, but we are met with complete disinterest.

There are some very good people in government who 'get it', the vast majority don't, and they're the ones with the keys to the safe, that's the struggle.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:51 - Jul 26 with 496 viewsBillyChong

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:23 - Jul 25 by Danielswan

If you had a pretty girl around every corner like we do in Denmark you would do your best to impress them, I have to do better so she likes me. I remember that being the best motivation when I played football, my knee was busted however at the age of 17 ... so had to find other ways to get laid.

We lost the final at the school championship when I was 16, never got so much pussy in my life inspite of loosing that final... and I was just 16, girls dig success .... and we dig pretty girls. Women and money ....

Fantastic logic and probably a hint of truth in it
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:52 - Jul 26 with 495 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:50 - Jul 26 by hammy

Ah, the age old argument; Wales is a shit place, with shit people and shit at everthing ! Sporting prowess is a combination of things - talent, determination and facilities. Sometimes the first 2 are enough to make an individual or a team champions. Wales being a small country has limited resources (money, people, etc.) and will always struggle to compete with bigger nations. Over the past 50 years I think we have competed very well across a range of sports and have produced a number of world champions; certainly punched above our circa 3 million people weight. This is likely to continue to a large degree with some years being better than others (just like most countries).

If, as I assume, this thread has been generated from perceived lack of success at the Commonwealth Games, then in comparison to the 2010 Delhi games, we currently have 7 medals (4 silver, 3 bronze) after just over 2 days, compared to 19 medals in 2010 (3 gold, 6 silver, 10 bronze). I think we were targeting 25+ prior to withdrawals of some of our potential winners (due to injury and drug related issues). Could still better the 2010 medal haul though.

Why are NZ better than us then?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:53 - Jul 26 with 490 viewshammy

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 10:50 - Jul 26 by hammy

Shit, while typing this diatribe we have gained 2 more medals ! 9 in total (5 silver, 4 bronze).

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 11:45 - Jul 26 with 457 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 21:07 - Jul 25 by Le_Swans

Leigh Halfpenny, probably the best full back in the world, local boy too

Best full back out of the few countries that play the game seriously, Rugby not a game played world wide really is it, now if he was the best at Football, Tennis, Boxing, MMA, or Athletics, i`d be impressed, but being the best in a game played by a small amount of the world`s countries is no big deal.
Login to get fewer ads

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 11:49 - Jul 26 with 453 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 20:32 - Jul 25 by Jackfath

What about Non Stanford?

Just send out a question on Facebook asking friends from outside Wales have they heard of Non, and non of them have no idea who the fcuk she is.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:01 - Jul 26 with 447 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 20:43 - Jul 25 by Neath_Jack

We can't even beat the absolute dregs in football, at least in rugby we put up half a fight and are regularly the best in Europe.

No mun you are struggling to grasp things here, all the countries in Europe play football, it`s also for most of them there main sport, most of Europe have very little interest in Rugby, to be the best at football in Europe you are competing against everyone, in Rugby you are competing against not very many of them, and even they do not consider Rugby as there main sport.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:12 - Jul 26 with 437 viewsLe_Swans

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 11:49 - Jul 26 by shingle

Just send out a question on Facebook asking friends from outside Wales have they heard of Non, and non of them have no idea who the fcuk she is.

I'd imagine not many Brits would have heard of the Brownlee brothers pre 2012, most probably still don't know them, yet they, the same as Non are at the top of their sport which is clearly a world wide even, you can't put her down because a few of your friends do not know her, the fact is she's pretty damn good at what she does.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 12:14]
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:16 - Jul 26 with 430 viewsshingle

And to finish my Saturday morning rant that sums it all up for me is just take a look at the UFC, this is fast becoming massive world wide, there live events are amazing, and in the States, Canada, Australia, Brazil, and many other countries it is now bigger than Boxing, in the UK the Irish and the English have emerging talent that are able to compete at world level, as for us Welsh we have no one that`s no where near good enough to get in the UFC.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 12:16]
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:19 - Jul 26 with 419 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:16 - Jul 26 by shingle

And to finish my Saturday morning rant that sums it all up for me is just take a look at the UFC, this is fast becoming massive world wide, there live events are amazing, and in the States, Canada, Australia, Brazil, and many other countries it is now bigger than Boxing, in the UK the Irish and the English have emerging talent that are able to compete at world level, as for us Welsh we have no one that`s no where near good enough to get in the UFC.

UFC isn't a sport though. It's a combination of many sports such as judo, wrestling, boxing etc.

It's basically using whatever sporting fighting background you have to beat up your opponent the most.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:20 - Jul 26 with 419 viewsC_jack

But we have very talented Judo, Kickboxers and Boxers that if they wanted to, could train to compete in MMA.

It stands for Mixed Martial Arts, but you already knew that.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:21 - Jul 26 with 417 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:01 - Jul 26 by shingle

No mun you are struggling to grasp things here, all the countries in Europe play football, it`s also for most of them there main sport, most of Europe have very little interest in Rugby, to be the best at football in Europe you are competing against everyone, in Rugby you are competing against not very many of them, and even they do not consider Rugby as there main sport.

I'm not struggling with anything. It was a fact. You can only beat what is put in front of you. Sometimes people need to be proud of what they have got, because one day, they may not even have that. Nothing wrong with striving to be better, but learn to appreciate the small things.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:24 - Jul 26 with 410 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:16 - Jul 26 by shingle

Aye, UFC is a great benchmark for sporting prowess.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:24 - Jul 26 with 409 viewsStarsky

USA world champions at Baseball init.

It's just the internet, init.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:31 - Jul 26 with 398 viewsphact0rri

I don't know if we should really just look at training and schools as the reason for the lack of quality, instead I agree with the idea of culture as a huge product to the disappointment. As a country (or society) I find the welsh looked down upon. And we don't really seem to do much to try to change that.

The country is very tight knit and close. very fraternal, and I've heard that people sometimes find it difficult to even visit because they feel like such outsiders when coming into wales aside from say a large city like Swansea, or Cardiff or what not. Is there really a lot of aspiration on a larger stage for the welsh people? Are we constantly letting the welsh know that our country is great and that we are the best simply for being welsh? Or are we constantly bombarded with the jokes about sheep, and the fact that people think were a place in england? We do have culture, and tradition... we have beautiful people and a lot of great people from the past who came from wales. We should fortify ourselves and our identity. we should be inspiring our youth and fortifying an idea that the welsh are a strong and capable people who can compete with any nation on the planet.

Course I'm biased, because coming to this forum sometimes makes me homesick. :)

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:36 - Jul 26 with 394 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:19 - Jul 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

UFC isn't a sport though. It's a combination of many sports such as judo, wrestling, boxing etc.

It's basically using whatever sporting fighting background you have to beat up your opponent the most.

Mixed Martial Arts, is a full contact combat sport, i accept it is deemed a modern sport but non the less a sport, as for using whatever sporting fighting background you have to beat up your opponent that`s not the case,if you put a boxer who has never been trained in Wrestling Judo, kickboxing etc, in with a UFC guy who has trained for years in all these disciplines the outcome for the Boxer would not be very favorable
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:41 - Jul 26 with 388 viewsC_jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:36 - Jul 26 by shingle

Mixed Martial Arts, is a full contact combat sport, i accept it is deemed a modern sport but non the less a sport, as for using whatever sporting fighting background you have to beat up your opponent that`s not the case,if you put a boxer who has never been trained in Wrestling Judo, kickboxing etc, in with a UFC guy who has trained for years in all these disciplines the outcome for the Boxer would not be very favorable

You very rarely find fighters with all those disciplines. Many have a strong ground game in a discipline such as Jujitsu/Judo/Wrestling, and then accompany it with striking experience in Boxing/Muay Thai.

Alternatively some have a strong striking experience in Boxing, and less experience on the ground, if they keep the fight standing, they will most likely come out on top.

That's what makes the sport, the balance of different disciplines.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:46 - Jul 26 with 378 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:21 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

I'm not struggling with anything. It was a fact. You can only beat what is put in front of you. Sometimes people need to be proud of what they have got, because one day, they may not even have that. Nothing wrong with striving to be better, but learn to appreciate the small things.

Well if you can get it into your mind set that Wales are wonderful for beating a few European countries in a game where most European countries have no interest in then good for you, hope you enjoy them playing the same few teams in the five nations later this year, than the same teams the following year and the same teams the following year, but we will have the usual defeats against New Zealand, and South Africa to look forward to as well.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:50 - Jul 26 with 373 viewsphact0rri

Most martial artists have "support styles" as the only complete martial art is Sumo technically. And thats all I see when I watch. you have a boxer who can actually use a round house legally. Or a Thai Muay who can switch to chinese stance Kung-fu stance without being disqualified.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:52 - Jul 26 with 372 viewsNeath_Jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:46 - Jul 26 by shingle

Well if you can get it into your mind set that Wales are wonderful for beating a few European countries in a game where most European countries have no interest in then good for you, hope you enjoy them playing the same few teams in the five nations later this year, than the same teams the following year and the same teams the following year, but we will have the usual defeats against New Zealand, and South Africa to look forward to as well.

It's easy to knock others achievements my friend, even if they are not the best in the world, very easy. I enjoy watching my country in any event. And i accept that we are not the best in any sport, but do you know what? I appreciate the effort they put in when they pull on that red jersey. When you got five minutes, maybe you could list all your sporting achievements.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:56 - Jul 26 with 364 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:41 - Jul 26 by C_jack

You very rarely find fighters with all those disciplines. Many have a strong ground game in a discipline such as Jujitsu/Judo/Wrestling, and then accompany it with striking experience in Boxing/Muay Thai.

Alternatively some have a strong striking experience in Boxing, and less experience on the ground, if they keep the fight standing, they will most likely come out on top.

That's what makes the sport, the balance of different disciplines.

As you say IF they keep the fight standing, that`s the beauty of the sport can the striker stop the wrestler from taking him down, and if he can not has he learned enough in training to stop himself being submitted or from taking a beating on the ground, so many way`s to win, yet so many ways to lose, one mistake and the most likely outcome is defeat.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 13:08 - Jul 26 with 347 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 12:52 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

It's easy to knock others achievements my friend, even if they are not the best in the world, very easy. I enjoy watching my country in any event. And i accept that we are not the best in any sport, but do you know what? I appreciate the effort they put in when they pull on that red jersey. When you got five minutes, maybe you could list all your sporting achievements.

Hmmm where have i knocked anyone pulling on a red jersey i`m just saying i can not get as excited as a fan like you who think`s playing against the same few teams every year and some times winning a five nations tournament is some sort of great achievement , you are obviously easily pleased but as long as your happy then good for you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024