Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? 18:37 - Jul 25 with 8782 viewsJackfath

Discuss.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:35 - Jul 26 with 709 viewsLe_Swans

The games are a good basis to compare us against other nations, as is shown with New Zealand who we're now ahead of, however if people are suggesting that it's a basis for being great in these sports then I feel they are quite wrong. If Russia, China and the USA we're involved we wouldn't have one medal from the gymnastics, and if the other 45+ European countries and many others throughout the world were involved I'd imagine it would be much less again.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:38 - Jul 26 with 707 viewsSwansNZ

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:35 - Jul 26 by Le_Swans

The games are a good basis to compare us against other nations, as is shown with New Zealand who we're now ahead of, however if people are suggesting that it's a basis for being great in these sports then I feel they are quite wrong. If Russia, China and the USA we're involved we wouldn't have one medal from the gymnastics, and if the other 45+ European countries and many others throughout the world were involved I'd imagine it would be much less again.

I believe that is called the Olympic games

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:39 - Jul 26 with 702 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 18:55 - Jul 26 by treboethjack

Both Uruguay and Croatia are impressive when it comes to football and are regulars in major tournaments, however neither of these countries have to compete with Rugby and only have 1 major sport in their country as far as I am aware. Finland on the other hand have produced famous sportsmen and woman in which sport exactly? I'm sure they have a few that have excelled in their sport but as others have mentioned so have Wales, so I wouldn't say we should aspire to be like the Finnish when it comes to sport.

If it`s just Rugby you want to compare us to other small counties then as Jackfarth say`s New Zealand is the only one i can think of as not many play the game if it`s other sports then you need Look up Tennis, look up Winter Olympics, You say Croatia only has one major sport yet they have Wimbledon tennis champions and a number of there players are top rated, i think it`s worth your while looking into these things if as you say are a little unsure.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:41 - Jul 26 with 695 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:28 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

Wind your f*cking neck in trappy. So explain what "It`s only the Commonwealth games winning a medal in them is nothing to get to excited about really", means then? This isn't a West Glamorgan athletics meet, you know that do you? A Pickle? Aye, fuming here i am, you could probably tell with the venom that i posted telling you to get your medals out. Are you female? Only a female could read a couple of words and turn them into the essay you have just typed.

OH dear, you have just fallen apart.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 19:43]
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:46 - Jul 26 with 680 viewstreboethjack

As I have previously mentioned, I'm sure that these countries have had sportsmen and woman that have been at the top of their sport at some point or other, but then so have Wales. I don't see Croatia as a world superpower when it comes to sport that we should look up to and I doubt many others do either. Just an opinion however and if you feel that we should aim as high as the mighty Croatians then thats fine.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 20:01 - Jul 26 with 664 viewsshingle

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 19:46 - Jul 26 by treboethjack

As I have previously mentioned, I'm sure that these countries have had sportsmen and woman that have been at the top of their sport at some point or other, but then so have Wales. I don't see Croatia as a world superpower when it comes to sport that we should look up to and I doubt many others do either. Just an opinion however and if you feel that we should aim as high as the mighty Croatians then thats fine.

Who said Croatia are a world superpower ??, tell you what tho, it would be great if we like them could Qualify for World and European cups in a mainstream sport like football on a regular basis, or like them produce Wimbledon champions in a mainstream sport like tennis.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 21:55 - Jul 26 with 611 viewsC_jack

New Zealand have a great triathlon heritage.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:19 - Jul 26 with 593 viewstruckjack

In my previous life before family & wifey I raced motorcycles around the uk from Brands Hatch to Donington etc. I did reasonably well in a very expensive sport. I applied to 'Sport Wales' for sponsorship and assistance but they would only grant assistance to team sports, in other words Fukien rugby. Thanks for fuk all Wales.gov.uk
Login to get fewer ads

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:20 - Jul 26 with 591 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:19 - Jul 26 by truckjack

In my previous life before family & wifey I raced motorcycles around the uk from Brands Hatch to Donington etc. I did reasonably well in a very expensive sport. I applied to 'Sport Wales' for sponsorship and assistance but they would only grant assistance to team sports, in other words Fukien rugby. Thanks for fuk all Wales.gov.uk

#sportwalestvvats

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:26 - Jul 26 with 582 viewsC_jack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:19 - Jul 26 by truckjack

Very difficult for individuals to gain sponsorship if they are not part of any regulated body. They're not going to give you money and trust that you'll spend it correctly.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:27 - Jul 26 with 581 viewstruckjack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:20 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

#sportwalestvvats

There we are, that's a main reason I've provided. No support from the top, blinkered ex rugger people running the show looking after the boys. Still pissed and so are many others. It still makes me fume. If you don't have the financial backing then you can't get to a high level of many sports.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:34 - Jul 26 with 569 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:27 - Jul 26 by truckjack

There we are, that's a main reason I've provided. No support from the top, blinkered ex rugger people running the show looking after the boys. Still pissed and so are many others. It still makes me fume. If you don't have the financial backing then you can't get to a high level of many sports.

It certainly is why Wales are shit at sport. People aren;t financally backed.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:38 - Jul 26 with 558 viewsScoobyWho

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:34 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

The 'people' at Swansea City are.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:39 - Jul 26 with 555 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:38 - Jul 26 by ScoobyWho

The 'people' at Swansea City are.

We're talking Wales here old bean.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:42 - Jul 26 with 548 viewsScoobyWho

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:39 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

We're talking Wales here old bean.

Well, I suppose its not in wales, suits me.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:42 - Jul 26 with 543 viewsJackfath

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:42 - Jul 26 by ScoobyWho

Well, I suppose its not in wales, suits me.

What's not?

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:50 - Jul 26 with 529 viewsScoobyWho

Inverness.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:52 - Jul 26 with 527 viewsSwansNZ

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:34 - Jul 26 by Jackfath

But Wales are not shit at sport, are we? for a small country we do quite well.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 22:53]

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:22 - Jul 26 with 510 viewsraynor94

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:52 - Jul 26 by SwansNZ

But Wales are not shit at sport, are we? for a small country we do quite well.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 22:53]

Quite well at what?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:35 - Jul 26 with 489 viewsSwansNZ

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:22 - Jul 26 by raynor94

Quite well at what?

Just looking at the medal tables for these Commonwealth games, it would appear we have done quite well at Cycling, Gymnastics, Judo, Shooting, Swimming and Weightlifting.

New Zealand who have been put up as an example of a country that does very well for its size (50% bigger population than Wales), has only won medals at 2 sports so far. Although that will change quite a bit, I’ve no idea who Wales medal hopes are.

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 23:47 - Jul 26 with 483 viewstruckjack

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 22:26 - Jul 26 by C_jack

Very difficult for individuals to gain sponsorship if they are not part of any regulated body. They're not going to give you money and trust that you'll spend it correctly.

Nah, that doesnt wash, an individual shouldnt need to be part of a regulatory body to receive assistance from Sport Wales . For instance they could easily have paid for my expensive race entry fees directly to the governing body for the season or on a race by race basis. I had tyres cheap sponsored by Pirelli but not free, i could have sold them for a large profit but the sponsor is happy to provide, SW could have paid for them, i had my fuel paid by another sponsor, who says i could have used the fuel elsewhere but the sponsor is happy to provide, SW could have provided numerous things without giving me the cash, easily. Anything would have helped but they gave me nothing. I was going to Mallory Park in Leicestershire for Wednessday practice sessions and others with super wealthy Dads would be off to Spain for winter practice. Still ended up Welsh Champion & featured in the Evening Post with a pic woopy wow, what could have been with more help?
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:00 - Jul 27 with 469 viewsdameedna

Swimming, cycling, tennis are individual sports as are triathlon and athletics etc. If it is an Olympic sport there is more chance of funding, including the Winter Olympics. In NZ there are more academies of excellence than in Wales which may come under UK jurisdiction. It would be useful to see the size of funding for NZ and compare with the UK's offshoot Sports Wales. I would guess NZ has far more money to splash and a lot more training facilities and paid coaches.
Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:47 - Jul 27 with 446 viewsSwansNZ

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 00:00 - Jul 27 by dameedna

Swimming, cycling, tennis are individual sports as are triathlon and athletics etc. If it is an Olympic sport there is more chance of funding, including the Winter Olympics. In NZ there are more academies of excellence than in Wales which may come under UK jurisdiction. It would be useful to see the size of funding for NZ and compare with the UK's offshoot Sports Wales. I would guess NZ has far more money to splash and a lot more training facilities and paid coaches.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11174516

According to this, NZ funding this year is approx. £17 million, which is probably less than funding for Welsh sport , BUT, this is targeted funding, where NZ targets successful sports, with most of the money going to sports that they have a medal chance in. Don’t forget, these athletes complete Olympic, World as well as Commonwealth games, unlike Wales, who just complete every 4 years.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2014 3:12]

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 01:20 - Jul 27 with 433 viewshammy

This is just a big JF wind up; I wonder how shit he / she is at sport ?

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Wales - as a nation, why are we so shit at sport? on 02:22 - Jul 27 with 418 viewsGlyn1

You keep trying to say that Wales is shit at sport, and you keep ignoring the messages that prove that you are mistaken.

All over the country there are hard-working athletes who are grafting at running, cycling, gymnastics, and all of the other other sports that are only on the telly once every four years. Good luck to them, and I have an overwhelming respect for them.

Should we help them out? Yes, as long as you nominate what services you want to be cut instead, or say that you want to increase taxes.

I really don't see how you can compare Wales (3 million people) with India (300 million people).
[Post edited 27 Jul 2014 2:24]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024