Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your supposed to be at home. 12:43 - Jul 28 with 974 viewstrampie

When the Welsh wrote to the French King saying that we were having trouble with the Germanic types and did they fancy getting involved in a Welsh invasion of England and in return we would recognise the French Pope as opposed to the Italian variety, the French sent some boys over and the allies [can I call them that] engaged the enemy [English] 50/60 miles into England, the Welsh/French army was on one hillside the English army was on the opposite hillside, neither would give up the high ground to attack the other, the French eventually gave up and went home {too cold, too wet, no action} leaving the Welsh out numbered and in enemy territory, the Welsh could not attack as they were totally outnumbered, so they started calling out the English to goad them into attacking [whist keeping their high ground], with what has become well known football chants, the first after a couple of weeks stand off was ''Your supposed to be at home, Your supposed to be at home'', the second after a few more weeks was ''Boring boring England, Boring boring England'' . The Welsh eventually went home, disappointed with the lack of support from the French and the lack of ambition by the English.

Looks like the Welsh have been singing:-
Your supposed to be at home and boring boring England at our friends from the East for centuries and centuries.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2014 12:47]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Your supposed to be at home. on 12:48 - Jul 28 with 966 viewsNeath_Jack

Tickled me anyway.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Your supposed to be at home. on 15:27 - Jul 28 with 856 viewsQuakerJack

I heard that giving someone the V sign (not the peace one, the one so many of us have given to Cardiff over the years) comes from Welsh battles against the English... It was the famous Welsh archers who proved extremely troublesome for the English following the introduction of the longbow. To avert this threat the English would capture Welsh archers and chop off those two fingers to stop them firing their bows. Thus the Welsh would taunt the English by giving them the V sign as if to say "we still have our fingers".

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Your supposed to be at home. on 15:50 - Jul 28 with 837 viewstrampie

Your supposed to be at home. on 15:27 - Jul 28 by QuakerJack

I heard that giving someone the V sign (not the peace one, the one so many of us have given to Cardiff over the years) comes from Welsh battles against the English... It was the famous Welsh archers who proved extremely troublesome for the English following the introduction of the longbow. To avert this threat the English would capture Welsh archers and chop off those two fingers to stop them firing their bows. Thus the Welsh would taunt the English by giving them the V sign as if to say "we still have our fingers".

I think that the story is the Welsh archers fighting alongside the English against the French [Agincourt and the like] and giving them the V sign.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2014 16:06]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:53 - Jul 28 with 796 viewsyescomeon

Your supposed to be at home. on 15:50 - Jul 28 by trampie

I think that the story is the Welsh archers fighting alongside the English against the French [Agincourt and the like] and giving them the V sign.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2014 16:06]

This was on QI, apparently an urban legend, although I was told this by history teacher at school.

Upthecity!

Your supposed to be at home. on 17:05 - Jul 28 with 784 viewsswanduck

I accidentally reported the OP as abuse. Sorry!!

I seem to do this quite a lot, still not sure how.
Your supposed to be at home. on 16:10 - Jul 29 with 680 viewsCatullus

Your supposed to be at home. on 17:05 - Jul 28 by swanduck

I accidentally reported the OP as abuse. Sorry!!

I seem to do this quite a lot, still not sure how.

You've got melons for fingers, but so have I!

Qi did say the v sign thing was bunk, but its a good story.

One thing, historically, always puzzled me. The English were pants without Welsh archers and irish infantry.
Why didn't we (Welsh and Irish) side with the jocks and sort the English out? England would have ceased to exist.
Wales could have taken Devon, Cornwall and across the south coast, the irish could have had parts of the midlands and anglia, the jocks take the rest!

Oh for a time machine........

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:27 - Jul 29 with 663 viewsJackoBoostardo

Well that's uncharacteristically French - to run off and leave someone else mop up!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:34 - Jul 29 with 660 viewsCatullus

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:27 - Jul 29 by JackoBoostardo

Well that's uncharacteristically French - to run off and leave someone else mop up!

The French only have a navy these days so they can evacuate quickly. Slightest sign of trouble and they're off!
Mind you, the Italian's give them a run and e Germans have lost their bottle too. Still excellent at sport and business, but Germany has lost it's warlike traits, seems to me.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:48 - Jul 29 with 645 viewsQuakerJack

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:10 - Jul 29 by Catullus

You've got melons for fingers, but so have I!

Qi did say the v sign thing was bunk, but its a good story.

One thing, historically, always puzzled me. The English were pants without Welsh archers and irish infantry.
Why didn't we (Welsh and Irish) side with the jocks and sort the English out? England would have ceased to exist.
Wales could have taken Devon, Cornwall and across the south coast, the irish could have had parts of the midlands and anglia, the jocks take the rest!

Oh for a time machine........

Personal gain, they and their families will have been well looked after and ultimately, that's what makes the world go round. Rhetoric, ideology, national pride, they don't feed you nor your family and unfortunately the Owain Glyndwr's and Wallace's of this world were few and far between.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:50 - Jul 29 with 644 viewsJackoBoostardo

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:34 - Jul 29 by Catullus

The French only have a navy these days so they can evacuate quickly. Slightest sign of trouble and they're off!
Mind you, the Italian's give them a run and e Germans have lost their bottle too. Still excellent at sport and business, but Germany has lost it's warlike traits, seems to me.

You clearly haven't heard of the Nazi moon bases then!

http://moonconspiracy.wordpress.com/the-nazis-had-a-base-on-the-moon/

Very developed rocket technology for the era afterall!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Your supposed to be at home. on 23:21 - Jul 29 with 576 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:34 - Jul 29 by Catullus

In fairness the Italians have been the victims of some extraordinary bad press for their war efforts. History is written by the victors alright.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Your supposed to be at home. on 09:56 - Jul 30 with 526 viewsCatullus

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:50 - Jul 29 by JackoBoostardo

You clearly haven't heard of the Nazi moon bases then!

http://moonconspiracy.wordpress.com/the-nazis-had-a-base-on-the-moon/

Very developed rocket technology for the era afterall!

The Nazis, that was 70 years ago!

And Bryn, the Romans were different gravy but the Italians were never trusted by Hitler and did seem to prefer not to fight.
Ironically, whilst their armies have been rubbish, their football hooligans are nuts!

Your supposed to be at home. on 19:25 - Jul 30 with 483 viewsEvanski

Your supposed to be at home. on 16:48 - Jul 29 by QuakerJack

Personal gain, they and their families will have been well looked after and ultimately, that's what makes the world go round. Rhetoric, ideology, national pride, they don't feed you nor your family and unfortunately the Owain Glyndwr's and Wallace's of this world were few and far between.

Absolutely correct. Glyndwr himself served as Henry IV's squire, and fought with the English up in Scotland. He would probably have continued to do so and lived out his remaining days without any conflict with the English if it wasn't for a local dispute over land with Reginald de Grey of Rhuthun. de Grey did the dirty on him and failed to deliver a call to arms from Henry IV, and the rest is history.

The vast majority of the Welsh nobles didn't join Glyndwr's cause until they'd seen which way the wind was blowing, particularly after Glyndwr's stunning victory at the Battle of Mynydd Hyddgen (a mere few miles from here (Aberystwyth) - well worth a visit to the site).

Henry IV (and V) clearly held him in high regard as they offered several pardons to Glyndwr, even after over a decade of rebellion - more than was offered to Wallace. Mind you, Edward I was a right vindictive kent!

Owain Lawgoch may have been an exception to the rule, but even he would have had ambitions of re-establishing the line of the Princes of Gwynedd.

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

Your supposed to be at home. on 20:09 - Jul 30 with 461 viewsCatullus

Your supposed to be at home. on 19:25 - Jul 30 by Evanski

Absolutely correct. Glyndwr himself served as Henry IV's squire, and fought with the English up in Scotland. He would probably have continued to do so and lived out his remaining days without any conflict with the English if it wasn't for a local dispute over land with Reginald de Grey of Rhuthun. de Grey did the dirty on him and failed to deliver a call to arms from Henry IV, and the rest is history.

The vast majority of the Welsh nobles didn't join Glyndwr's cause until they'd seen which way the wind was blowing, particularly after Glyndwr's stunning victory at the Battle of Mynydd Hyddgen (a mere few miles from here (Aberystwyth) - well worth a visit to the site).

Henry IV (and V) clearly held him in high regard as they offered several pardons to Glyndwr, even after over a decade of rebellion - more than was offered to Wallace. Mind you, Edward I was a right vindictive kent!

Owain Lawgoch may have been an exception to the rule, but even he would have had ambitions of re-establishing the line of the Princes of Gwynedd.

It's always about personal gain. But if Glyndwr had looked to Scotland after the great victory at Mynydd Hyddgen, things could have been very different. And the personal gains could have been huge. England split into two and split between us and the Jocks.
And Chamberlain wouldn't have been around to appease the nazi's either!! TIC

Your supposed to be at home. on 20:32 - Jul 30 with 448 viewsEvanski

I think Glyndwr did seek an alliance with the Scots, but it never really materialised. He did forge a potentially game-changing alliance (the Tripartite Indenture) with Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, and Edmund Mortimer, who he took prisoner after the Battle of Brynglas. Mortimer arguably had a greater claim to the English throne than the usurper, Henry Bolingbroke, and when Henry refused to pay his ransom (after he had paid a ransom for de Grey, who Glyndwr had caught earlier in the rebellion), Mortimer married Glyndwr's daughter and threw his lot in with Glyndwr.

Had Percy not recklessly engaged the 2 Henry's forces at the Battle of Shrewsbury and waited for Glyndwr's 10,000 strong army to arrive things could've been very, very different. As part of the Tripartite Indenture England would've been carved up between the 3, and Wales' borders would've stretched as far as Staffordshire, more or less to Wolverhampton, re-establishing the ancient Welsh territory of Pengwern, that had Wroxeter as it's capital. Unfortunately Percy f*cked it all up.

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024