Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
e-reader advice 22:32 - Jul 28 with 685 viewsSwansNZ

What’s the best make of e-reader, to be able to get access to loads free books, usability etc.

Does kindle tie you into getting books only from Amazon? I was thinking of possibly getting one of the Kobo models.

I just want a fairly cheap model, just for reading, don’t need any other features.

Thoughts?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

e-reader advice on 22:43 - Jul 28 with 676 viewsLord_Bony

Kindle.
End of thread.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

e-reader advice on 22:44 - Jul 28 with 674 viewsLord_Bony

e-reader advice on 22:43 - Jul 28 by Lord_Bony

Kindle.
End of thread.

Ps

No don't buy Kindle per se

Get a cheap tablet and put the kindle app on....no competition just do it man....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

e-reader advice on 22:51 - Jul 28 with 653 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 22:44 - Jul 28 by Lord_Bony

Ps

No don't buy Kindle per se

Get a cheap tablet and put the kindle app on....no competition just do it man....

It's for my daughter, who already has a iPad, but wants a reader too.

So, can you download free books from anywhere, to use on a kindle?

e-reader advice on 22:54 - Jul 28 with 643 viewsLord_Bony

I cannot stress enough DO NOT buy a Kindle it is just plain Ferkin horrible piece of crap..black and white and soulless.

FAR BETTER reading experience on the iPad with Kindle app....just buy another I pad and don't be a tight ass!

e-reader advice on 22:56 - Jul 28 with 635 viewsDr_Winston

e-reader advice on 22:51 - Jul 28 by SwansNZ

It's for my daughter, who already has a iPad, but wants a reader too.

So, can you download free books from anywhere, to use on a kindle?

Yes.

Most books available on torrents either come in the Mobi format or can be easily converted with Calibre and just moved over to a Kindle.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

e-reader advice on 22:57 - Jul 28 with 631 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 22:54 - Jul 28 by Lord_Bony

I cannot stress enough DO NOT buy a Kindle it is just plain Ferkin horrible piece of crap..black and white and soulless.

FAR BETTER reading experience on the iPad with Kindle app....just buy another I pad and don't be a tight ass!

Oh right — so reading on an iPad is as good as on an e-reader? I thought an e-ready would be better, no glare etc

e-reader advice on 22:57 - Jul 28 with 631 viewsLord_Bony

Do you have Tescoe s down under mate?

If so try this for cheap tablet Hudl

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

e-reader advice on 22:58 - Jul 28 with 625 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I've got a Kobo Glo and it's great, but I don't have much experience of other readers so it's a rather hollow recommendation.

I doubt there's much of a difference between any of them to be honest. The one constant is that they all suck at displaying pdfs...much to the universe's displeasure.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2014 23:03]

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Login to get fewer ads

e-reader advice on 22:59 - Jul 28 with 622 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 22:57 - Jul 28 by Lord_Bony

Do you have Tescoe s down under mate?

If so try this for cheap tablet Hudl

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

No.

She has an iPad already, so she can just add the kindle app there, if it’s the same/better than an e-reader.

e-reader advice on 23:02 - Jul 28 with 611 viewsLord_Bony

e-reader advice on 22:59 - Jul 28 by SwansNZ

No.

She has an iPad already, so she can just add the kindle app there, if it’s the same/better than an e-reader.

Believe me
It is FAR better reading experience on the iPad.

Download the app then go to kindle store whatever author or genre

Eg google browser type in kindle World War Two or whatever and it will take you straight to the subject and a whole plethora of choices and recommendations.

Furthermore if you sign up for amazon Prime you get loads of books and movies to watch for a small monthly fee.

Be careful of free or cheap books...they re usually rubbish...

e-reader advice on 23:36 - Jul 28 with 583 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 22:56 - Jul 28 by Dr_Winston

Yes.

Most books available on torrents either come in the Mobi format or can be easily converted with Calibre and just moved over to a Kindle.

thanks

e-reader advice on 23:37 - Jul 28 with 582 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 22:58 - Jul 28 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I've got a Kobo Glo and it's great, but I don't have much experience of other readers so it's a rather hollow recommendation.

I doubt there's much of a difference between any of them to be honest. The one constant is that they all suck at displaying pdfs...much to the universe's displeasure.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2014 23:03]

ok, thanks for the info.

e-reader advice on 00:18 - Jul 29 with 556 viewsjackforever

I prefer an ereader over a tablet for the simple reason you can actually read the ferking thing outdoors in sunlight.
e-reader advice on 00:36 - Jul 29 with 548 viewsThursday

I've had a Kobo Touch and now have a Kindle Fire HDX. It's like going from watching Nuneaton to Swansea. Any argument you want to make is decades too old.
e-reader advice on 00:53 - Jul 29 with 540 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 00:36 - Jul 29 by Thursday

I've had a Kobo Touch and now have a Kindle Fire HDX. It's like going from watching Nuneaton to Swansea. Any argument you want to make is decades too old.

But for just reading books, would there be much point in buying something like the Fire HDX?

e-reader advice on 00:56 - Jul 29 with 538 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 00:18 - Jul 29 by jackforever

I prefer an ereader over a tablet for the simple reason you can actually read the ferking thing outdoors in sunlight.

That’s something I wondered if a e-reader would be better, also less eye strain when reading for long periods maybe?

Plus it would be lighter to hold.

Plus, it’s her birthday soon and she has asked for one, so we’d not have to think what to buy her

e-reader advice on 02:31 - Jul 29 with 510 viewsphact0rri

Okay... there's pros and cons between an E-Reader and a tablet. Having both I can weigh in.

Tablets are like a stop gap between your phone and your computer. They are great and do a lot of things, like run apps, do work from your couch, read books, and comics, play games, reply to posts on Planet Swans... ya know that sort of stuff. Plus they are in colour!

E-readers are a mostly used for reading books, they have browsers built in, and there are some games for it. but even something like word processing can be a bit rough of a go. But they do read books very well, and the kindle (I believe has access to the kindle store)

When looking at the reason to pick one up over the other, there's a few things to look at. Battery life is amazing on an e-reader. but you will be sacrificing colour, flexability for other tasks. Though if you read outdoors and you just want a device to read books its hard not to pick an ereader. also Price. an ereader can be found for well under 100£ a tablet is going to be a quite a bit more expensive. and you'll have to juggle useability verses price.

As to free books. I'm an author and do not condone downloading books on torrents. Thats taking money out of someone's pocket and the book industry isn't exactly strong right now. however there are tons of free books on amazon, and google books (and Ibooks to I'd wager) as well as public domain books you can find for free on other places. And really for less than a £ there are plenty of books available.

I love my tablet just saying-- but aside from work functions (my 9-5 is in computers) and having access to my computers in a small form factor-- its mostly used to read books and comics-- and for most people its the same. and if the computer like functions won't be used an ereader is a better bet than a tablet... and way cheaper especially if were talking Ipad.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

e-reader advice on 09:21 - Jul 29 with 458 viewsjackb

tablet and google Play Books - install on phone too and it syncs any books you upload so each device catches up when you read on both, kindle doesn't let you do that with non purchased books i believe
e-reader advice on 10:16 - Jul 29 with 428 viewsjandyt

I've got an iPad and a Kindle, and much prefer the Kindle for reading books. Kindle isn't backlit so there's less strain on your eyes plus the battery life is much better. I have downloaded recipe books onto the iPad though as it lends itself better to the pictures etc.

As for files, I've also used Calibre to change file formats and put non-Amazon booksnontonthendevice and that works fine too..

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

e-reader advice on 10:45 - Jul 29 with 420 viewsSwansNZ

e-reader advice on 10:16 - Jul 29 by jandyt

I've got an iPad and a Kindle, and much prefer the Kindle for reading books. Kindle isn't backlit so there's less strain on your eyes plus the battery life is much better. I have downloaded recipe books onto the iPad though as it lends itself better to the pictures etc.

As for files, I've also used Calibre to change file formats and put non-Amazon booksnontonthendevice and that works fine too..

A kindle it is then, thanks

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024