Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great to see youngsters given a chance. 08:44 - Jul 30 with 1853 viewsNOTRAC

Wonderful to see so many youngsters given a go at Exeter last night.
Josh Sheehan ,the scorer of the second goal, is only19. Liam Shepherd ,the son of Gary Shepherd,ex Merthyr manager, is also 19. Scott Tancock and Stephen Kingsley are 20 years old.
When one considers that with the recent sale of Ben Davies and the previous sale of joe Allen we have made £25m from home grown talent,this has to be the way forward.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:30 - Jul 30 with 405 viewsSwan91

I honestly think it will be nice to see 1 or 2 youngsters play a game or 2 in the season. Ofcourse it's a risk but they will have to break in sooner or later. And players like Allen and Ben have shown that the risk is worth it.

Ben got game time because he impressed in pre season and then Taylor got injured. I think this pre season 2 youngsters have definitely impressed (Sheehan and bray). So it would be nice to have them come on as a late substitute if we are winning or something. Like give them 20-30 minutes to play against a pl team.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:49 - Jul 30 with 385 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:26 - Jul 30 by Le_Swans

I'm sure Fabregas was made Arsenal captain at 20/21, that Wenger really doesn't know what he's doing does he.

If they are good enough they will play, coaches and managers will know their players an awful lot better than us.

"If they are good enough they will play". Only if they are both physically and mentally up to playing PL pace and that will require a good run of games to ascertain. If we are in March and guaranteed safety then ok. Who's going to take that risk if we're not?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:49 - Jul 30 with 384 viewsSkipTheJack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:53 - Jul 30 by C_jack

Never a load of truer bollox spoken, you mean.

Hence why it's unanimously accepted that Ben struggled last year to meet the standard of his first season
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 10:54]

Unanimously accepted that he struggled?

I don't think he struggled. I though he really matured and had a great season.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:59 - Jul 30 with 365 viewsLe_Swans

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:49 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

"If they are good enough they will play". Only if they are both physically and mentally up to playing PL pace and that will require a good run of games to ascertain. If we are in March and guaranteed safety then ok. Who's going to take that risk if we're not?

And it will be down to the coaches (who have a far greater understanding of the players physical and mental ability) to decide, they obviously thought Ben was ready at the time, which he proved to be the case during the first season.

All clubs play promising youth players pre season, very few will start or even be part of the first team during the season though and I suspect our youngsters will be similar.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 12:08 - Jul 30 with 346 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:59 - Jul 30 by Le_Swans

And it will be down to the coaches (who have a far greater understanding of the players physical and mental ability) to decide, they obviously thought Ben was ready at the time, which he proved to be the case during the first season.

All clubs play promising youth players pre season, very few will start or even be part of the first team during the season though and I suspect our youngsters will be similar.

As far as I was concerned Taylor's injury happened just after the transfer window closed so it was play Ben or Tiendalli . Laudrup had no faith in Tiendalli so Ben was it. He was very well nursed through his opening few games by Leon and Williams in particular and gained confidence as he went along.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 12:13 - Jul 30 with 340 viewsLe_Swans

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 12:08 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

As far as I was concerned Taylor's injury happened just after the transfer window closed so it was play Ben or Tiendalli . Laudrup had no faith in Tiendalli so Ben was it. He was very well nursed through his opening few games by Leon and Williams in particular and gained confidence as he went along.

Fair point.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 13:24 - Jul 30 with 290 viewsjakarmi

Nobody is advocating throwing in a whole host of youngsters, but i'd certainly put one or two on the bench at every possible opportunity. Even if they only get on for 10-20 minutes as its all valuable experience.
As a previous poster says we ought to be looking to bring one or two through every other season and either sell on for profit or tie them to the club for 4-5 years.
Incidentally i thought the next youngster that would become a regular would be Alfie, but not even sure where he is now?
Another reason so many youngsters get game time pre-season is often to find out if they've got any chance of making progress in the coming season, whether to loan them out of simply release them.
Even if only one player from each group make it with us, it'll prove invaluable as shown by Joe and Ben.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024