Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Albert HALL 11:21 - Jul 31 with 9121 viewsperchrockjack

Swansea s that is.
Just seen facebook photo of the state its in now.

Quite how and why are things in Swansea allowed to get this bad.

Its truly upsetting to see.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Albert HALL on 14:40 - Aug 1 with 1066 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 14:08 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

As the dr says it was only given to Liverpool because it was deemed suitable to invest. I was involved in police meetings on it and much hard work went into it. Swansea seems divided and stuck in reverse gear.it seems to have no focus and apart from Dylan not really much culture in the purest sense.liverpool had it in bucketfuls and has more listed building in gb outside London so it had a great heritage to call upon.

This was only as a result of binning Derek hat ton etc. the city was a basket case and frankly Swansea seems to be decaying as we speak. It's gotta stop surely and maybe people should stop being defensive about what is the truth.
Hull will be next to benefit.
Once regen starts it accelerates and it's vey exciting. One thing for sure Cardiff has got its head well into the trough

Yeah, there's been no investment made in Swansea in recent years, nothing at all has changed...

Even if a visitor chose to take a limited view by only going as far as High Street, they'd have to be blind to miss the work done on the Station and the Grand Hotel, then the pretty massive High Street Urban Regeneration project.

It would be fair to ask whether things that have been done were the right choice, or why we haven't had more investment, but claiming nothing has been done is clearly wrong. There's none so blind as they that won't see and all that.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The Albert HALL on 15:08 - Aug 1 with 1048 viewsDrWig

The Albert HALL on 14:40 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

Yeah, there's been no investment made in Swansea in recent years, nothing at all has changed...

Even if a visitor chose to take a limited view by only going as far as High Street, they'd have to be blind to miss the work done on the Station and the Grand Hotel, then the pretty massive High Street Urban Regeneration project.

It would be fair to ask whether things that have been done were the right choice, or why we haven't had more investment, but claiming nothing has been done is clearly wrong. There's none so blind as they that won't see and all that.

But that's piecemeal. Whilst the Albert Dock regeneration was in the 1980s/1990s, the rest of Liverpool was changed at the same time-albeit supported by the city of culture- The King's Dock development including Arena and conference centre, the Pier Head, Museum of Liverpool, Cruise Terminal and Liverpool One (shopping_ development were all at the same time. Swansea, sadly, need revolutionary change in the centre. The natural resource is there but not the leadership. It does not help that WAG are in Cardiff. That could have been a catalyst or change. Cardiff got everything apart from the swimming pool. Having lived in Cardiff and Merseyside, Liverpool is a much better city.

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

The Albert HALL on 15:16 - Aug 1 with 1042 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 15:08 - Aug 1 by DrWig

But that's piecemeal. Whilst the Albert Dock regeneration was in the 1980s/1990s, the rest of Liverpool was changed at the same time-albeit supported by the city of culture- The King's Dock development including Arena and conference centre, the Pier Head, Museum of Liverpool, Cruise Terminal and Liverpool One (shopping_ development were all at the same time. Swansea, sadly, need revolutionary change in the centre. The natural resource is there but not the leadership. It does not help that WAG are in Cardiff. That could have been a catalyst or change. Cardiff got everything apart from the swimming pool. Having lived in Cardiff and Merseyside, Liverpool is a much better city.

The problem is not just of leadership, if that is even the problem at all. It's investment. People like Nick Bradley are on record as saying they know the city centre needs re-inventing, but it's easier said than done.

I'd love to know what this 'natural resource' is that you say is the key to solving all Swansea's problems.

The Boulevard Project is getting hammered, but if people bothered to read the original 20/20 plans, this was a real attempt to transform Swansea city centre by utilising our best asset, the bay. I don't think we can hold the council responsible for the worldwide economic situation.

As I've said before, Liverpool had the investment from being City of Culture and benefited from far more inward investment, due to factors like a better geographic location and a much larger population being far more attractive to businesses and investors.

I'm sure we could have better people in charge, but I'm willing to bet we could appoint the people who were in charge of Liverpool's regeneration and they'd be unable to replicate a fraction of what they did there.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 15:18]

The Albert HALL on 15:39 - Aug 1 with 1024 viewsDarran

The Albert HALL on 14:40 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

Seriously though JS if you going to use the work done on the Station ,Grand Hotel and the High Street Urban Regeneration project as you're argument it's a pretty week argument for Swansea.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Albert HALL on 15:46 - Aug 1 with 1020 viewsperchrockjack

With respect High St has been decaying for way too long.
Its also the case that in regeneration it is the whole centre that is crucial as this is what visitors see first. You have to give them something that is pleasing on the eye, entertaining and basically a nice place to be.

Slagging off people who aint exactly pleased to see their home city dying on its feet aint gonna help either.

The greatest asset Swansea has is not the Gower as not all want to get soaked to the skin traipsing over a cliff walk but Swansea City FC who the City Council should be fawning all over to help them make the whole area somewhere people will want to visit and stay overnight.

The Albert HALL on 15:50 - Aug 1 with 1023 viewsunion_jack

The Albert HALL on 15:16 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

The problem is not just of leadership, if that is even the problem at all. It's investment. People like Nick Bradley are on record as saying they know the city centre needs re-inventing, but it's easier said than done.

I'd love to know what this 'natural resource' is that you say is the key to solving all Swansea's problems.

The Boulevard Project is getting hammered, but if people bothered to read the original 20/20 plans, this was a real attempt to transform Swansea city centre by utilising our best asset, the bay. I don't think we can hold the council responsible for the worldwide economic situation.

As I've said before, Liverpool had the investment from being City of Culture and benefited from far more inward investment, due to factors like a better geographic location and a much larger population being far more attractive to businesses and investors.

I'm sure we could have better people in charge, but I'm willing to bet we could appoint the people who were in charge of Liverpool's regeneration and they'd be unable to replicate a fraction of what they did there.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 15:18]

The natural resource is the natural beauty I.e. The bay and Gower.

You don't work for the council do you? You seem very defensive of them where I believe the focus in capital spend has been wrong. And the Boulevard has been a complete waste of time, money and patience for many. I hope when all the cones are removed I am proved to be wrong.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Albert HALL on 15:55 - Aug 1 with 1022 viewsperchrockjack

Pretty bays do not an economy make. Swansea is too wet to rely totally on beach tourism.

First thing the city should have invested in is a sizeable indoor arena for concerts /exhibitions in the way Cardiff has.

The Albert HALL on 16:03 - Aug 1 with 1020 viewsunion_jack

The Albert HALL on 15:55 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Pretty bays do not an economy make. Swansea is too wet to rely totally on beach tourism.

First thing the city should have invested in is a sizeable indoor arena for concerts /exhibitions in the way Cardiff has.

Don't kid yourself. Gower may have beaches but it is also the first AONB in the UK and can appeal to different types all year long. I agree with a good venue for music, events etc. where we could attract people from both west and mid Wales as well as further afield.

Also, if we were going to take Cardiff on for shopping (foolhardy?) then a large mall with excellent links to the motorway may just do that e.g. Velindre site. All those from those areas mentioned would have it on their doorstep.

The town centre of our youths Perch is a thing of the past I'm afraid.

Login to get fewer ads

The Albert HALL on 16:27 - Aug 1 with 1012 viewsDrWig

The Albert HALL on 16:03 - Aug 1 by union_jack

Don't kid yourself. Gower may have beaches but it is also the first AONB in the UK and can appeal to different types all year long. I agree with a good venue for music, events etc. where we could attract people from both west and mid Wales as well as further afield.

Also, if we were going to take Cardiff on for shopping (foolhardy?) then a large mall with excellent links to the motorway may just do that e.g. Velindre site. All those from those areas mentioned would have it on their doorstep.

The town centre of our youths Perch is a thing of the past I'm afraid.

The interesting thing is that redeveloping the city centre shopping has worked for Liverpool. It was poor for shopping, but Liverpool One which is a mall/standard street hybrid has worked well. It is anchored by John Lewis and Debenhams at each end with a cinema in the middle. It flows via a park to the waterfront. This works well and joins the city centre to the old docks. We used to go to the Trafford Centre, but will go to Liverpool now. It has impacted a little at the top end of the 'old' main street (Church Street) but has stymied the flow of shopper to Chester and Manchester. It's not as imposing at St Davids in Cardiff but has a nicer feel-more like you are in Liverpool rather than anytown. It helps having a decent local transport infrastructure too!

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

The Albert HALL on 16:56 - Aug 1 with 995 viewsperchrockjack

We'll wish I d put it that way

The Albert HALL on 17:08 - Aug 1 with 988 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 15:39 - Aug 1 by Darran

Seriously though JS if you going to use the work done on the Station ,Grand Hotel and the High Street Urban Regeneration project as you're argument it's a pretty week argument for Swansea.

Those were just the examples on High Street. I didn't go on to mention The new library, LC2, 360 cafe, Meridian Tower, SA1, etc...

I'm not arguing the case that more could and should be done, just trying to counteract some of the usual negative and I'll-informed opinions.

It's like the people who say there's never any events going on around Swansea. Yet pick up a What's On Swansea and you'll see there's lots going on.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 17:09]

The Albert HALL on 17:11 - Aug 1 with 981 viewsDarran

The Albert HALL on 17:08 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

Those were just the examples on High Street. I didn't go on to mention The new library, LC2, 360 cafe, Meridian Tower, SA1, etc...

I'm not arguing the case that more could and should be done, just trying to counteract some of the usual negative and I'll-informed opinions.

It's like the people who say there's never any events going on around Swansea. Yet pick up a What's On Swansea and you'll see there's lots going on.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 17:09]

I'm not disagreeing it's just the High St area in general is dreadful.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Albert HALL on 17:12 - Aug 1 with 980 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 15:50 - Aug 1 by union_jack

The natural resource is the natural beauty I.e. The bay and Gower.

You don't work for the council do you? You seem very defensive of them where I believe the focus in capital spend has been wrong. And the Boulevard has been a complete waste of time, money and patience for many. I hope when all the cones are removed I am proved to be wrong.

I 'm employed jointly by the council and Welsh government, which will do nothing for my popularity on here. I have nothing to do with the matters being discussed here though, just trying to show the other side of the issue.

A change of people at the top would have zero impact on me, so not defending anybody.

On the Boulevard, again read the original plans before casting judgment. Had the recession not kicked in, the scheme was exactly the kind of bold redevelopment that people here are asking for.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 17:14]

The Albert HALL on 17:15 - Aug 1 with 976 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 17:11 - Aug 1 by Darran

I'm not disagreeing it's just the High St area in general is dreadful.

The other half works there, so no argument from me, although it is getting a little better.

The Albert HALL on 17:18 - Aug 1 with 973 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 16:27 - Aug 1 by DrWig

The interesting thing is that redeveloping the city centre shopping has worked for Liverpool. It was poor for shopping, but Liverpool One which is a mall/standard street hybrid has worked well. It is anchored by John Lewis and Debenhams at each end with a cinema in the middle. It flows via a park to the waterfront. This works well and joins the city centre to the old docks. We used to go to the Trafford Centre, but will go to Liverpool now. It has impacted a little at the top end of the 'old' main street (Church Street) but has stymied the flow of shopper to Chester and Manchester. It's not as imposing at St Davids in Cardiff but has a nicer feel-more like you are in Liverpool rather than anytown. It helps having a decent local transport infrastructure too!

Which is great for Liverpool, but irrelevant to Swansea.

We're not big enough population wise to attract the likes of John Lewis. I was told by someone in the know that an incredibly attractive offer was put together to attract Waitrose to be the anchor of a redeveloped Parc Tawe. They did their feasibility studies and decided it still wasn't worth it for them.

The Albert HALL on 17:20 - Aug 1 with 970 viewsdickythorpe

Nottingham is a fine city.
The Albert HALL on 17:48 - Aug 1 with 959 viewsJackfath

The Albert HALL on 17:18 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

Which is great for Liverpool, but irrelevant to Swansea.

We're not big enough population wise to attract the likes of John Lewis. I was told by someone in the know that an incredibly attractive offer was put together to attract Waitrose to be the anchor of a redeveloped Parc Tawe. They did their feasibility studies and decided it still wasn't worth it for them.

Not sure whether it's to do with the size of the population or the amount of money people have available to spend on their weekly shop.

Swansea is full of cut price supermarkets, no Waitrose for miles around.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The Albert HALL on 18:09 - Aug 1 with 954 viewsunion_jack

The Albert HALL on 17:48 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

Not sure whether it's to do with the size of the population or the amount of money people have available to spend on their weekly shop.

Swansea is full of cut price supermarkets, no Waitrose for miles around.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Due to the socio-economic imbalance and the low population, any higher class stores like those mentioned could not survive.
Sadly!

The Albert HALL on 18:11 - Aug 1 with 952 viewsunion_jack

The Albert HALL on 17:12 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

I 'm employed jointly by the council and Welsh government, which will do nothing for my popularity on here. I have nothing to do with the matters being discussed here though, just trying to show the other side of the issue.

A change of people at the top would have zero impact on me, so not defending anybody.

On the Boulevard, again read the original plans before casting judgment. Had the recession not kicked in, the scheme was exactly the kind of bold redevelopment that people here are asking for.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 17:14]

Based at WG Penllergaer or County Hall?

The Albert HALL on 18:18 - Aug 1 with 949 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 18:11 - Aug 1 by union_jack

Based at WG Penllergaer or County Hall?

Neither. I'm based in a deprived area. Which as Jackfath correctly points out is one thing we're not short of.

The Albert HALL on 18:29 - Aug 1 with 943 viewsunion_jack

The Albert HALL on 18:18 - Aug 1 by JackSomething

Neither. I'm based in a deprived area. Which as Jackfath correctly points out is one thing we're not short of.

And he is right of course. And it is that point which makes it difficult to have any sort of ROI from city centre regeneration. Sadly.

The Albert HALL on 21:14 - Aug 1 with 928 viewsperchrockjack

It's completely to do with Liverpool and what can be achieved. I'd suggest those not so employed are not that sanguine.

Your kids deserve better

The Albert HALL on 10:11 - Aug 2 with 889 viewsJackSomething

The Albert HALL on 21:14 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

It's completely to do with Liverpool and what can be achieved. I'd suggest those not so employed are not that sanguine.

Your kids deserve better

And I'd suspect that the people who are more sanguine about the subject have some idea what they're talking about. I know you've been annoyed in the past by people's uninformed comments about the police, you're now being one of those people

Pointless discussing this further, you're not attempting to understand the issues, just falling back on your default idea that we should follow the shining beacon that is Liverpool.

The Albert HALL on 10:21 - Aug 2 with 886 viewsperchrockjack

It is because you ve fallen into personal mode. As I ve alluded to Liverpool is an excellent starting point for barb throwing.
However, you selective reading shows you ve not understood my view Liverpool City is anything but a shining beacon- but it shows what can be done as regards regeneration.
aybe Swansea suffers from too many like you and Jobbie who find LIVERPOOL a convenient place to hammer and put down at any opportunity . Sadly that attitude says a lot about you and as has been commented upon by other posters.

Swansea really has suffered enough

The Albert HALL on 10:42 - Aug 2 with 876 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Albert HALL on 10:21 - Aug 2 by perchrockjack

It is because you ve fallen into personal mode. As I ve alluded to Liverpool is an excellent starting point for barb throwing.
However, you selective reading shows you ve not understood my view Liverpool City is anything but a shining beacon- but it shows what can be done as regards regeneration.
aybe Swansea suffers from too many like you and Jobbie who find LIVERPOOL a convenient place to hammer and put down at any opportunity . Sadly that attitude says a lot about you and as has been commented upon by other posters.

Swansea really has suffered enough

Manchester also has been massively regenerated. Apart form Oldham , obviously

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024