Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does The Past exist? 18:13 - Jul 31 with 6640 viewsDavillin

[I can see several logical follow-up questions if we can have a courteous and intelligent discussion of his first one.]

Does The Past exist?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Does The Past exist? on 20:27 - Jul 31 with 2005 viewsJackoBoostardo

Considering the thread was started by Davillin at 18:13GMT, and it is now 20:27GMT.... you tell me!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Does The Past exist? on 20:34 - Jul 31 with 2006 viewsllangyfelach

Today is the shadow of tomorrow
Today is the present future of yesterday
Yesterday is the shadow of today
The darkness of the past is yesterday
And the light of the past is yesterday
The days of yesterday are all numbered in sum
In the world once
Because once upon a time there was a yesterday
Yesterday belongs to the dead
Because the dead belongs to the past
The past is yesterday
Today is the preview of tomorrow but for me
Only for my better and happier point of view
My point of view is the thought of a better or try
Reality is today of eternity
The eternity of yesterday is dead

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

Does The Past exist? on 20:35 - Jul 31 with 2000 viewsperchrockjack

And very true mart.oh that we are able to adhere to it.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Does The Past exist? on 20:38 - Jul 31 with 1995 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The past makes us who we are today .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Does The Past exist? on 20:51 - Jul 31 with 1984 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 19:37 - Jul 31 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah, but only because you pretty much repeated what I said.

Except that the present doesn't exist either. By the time we've experienced it, it's already the past. Which doesn't exist.

Groovy, man.

I didn't repeat what you said, because it was in the past and when I wrote it, it was in the present
Does The Past exist? on 20:52 - Jul 31 with 1976 viewsDavillin

Does The Past exist? on 20:34 - Jul 31 by llangyfelach

Today is the shadow of tomorrow
Today is the present future of yesterday
Yesterday is the shadow of today
The darkness of the past is yesterday
And the light of the past is yesterday
The days of yesterday are all numbered in sum
In the world once
Because once upon a time there was a yesterday
Yesterday belongs to the dead
Because the dead belongs to the past
The past is yesterday
Today is the preview of tomorrow but for me
Only for my better and happier point of view
My point of view is the thought of a better or try
Reality is today of eternity
The eternity of yesterday is dead

Citation?

Does The Past exist? on 20:55 - Jul 31 with 1971 viewsOnslow

Does The Past exist? on 20:52 - Jul 31 by Davillin

Citation?

Lyrics from a hip hop song by Madvillain called Shadows Of Tomorrow

She keeps passin' me by...

Does The Past exist? on 20:55 - Jul 31 with 1970 viewsDavillin

Yes, The Past does exist.

At the conception of me, a single cell from my mother combined with a single cell from my father to form a new single cell containing all of them, the First of Me.

That cell then replicated itself into two new cells identical with the First of Me, and each of them has been replicating itself into two new cells identical with the First of Me, down to the present moment.

The genetic substances from my parents continue to exist in me, and through them, The Past does also.

Login to get fewer ads

Does The Past exist? on 21:06 - Jul 31 with 1959 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 20:55 - Jul 31 by Davillin

At the conception of me, a single cell from my mother combined with a single cell from my father to form a new single cell containing all of them, the First of Me.

That cell then replicated itself into two new cells identical with the First of Me, and each of them has been replicating itself into two new cells identical with the First of Me, down to the present moment.

The genetic substances from my parents continue to exist in me, and through them, The Past does also.

You are living in the present regardless of what has gone before. The moment of conception was in the present not in the past or the future
Does The Past exist? on 21:36 - Jul 31 with 1947 viewsDavillin

Does The Past exist? on 21:06 - Jul 31 by controversial_jack

You are living in the present regardless of what has gone before. The moment of conception was in the present not in the past or the future

Interesting point, controversial_jack, but am I not carrying around within me the very genetic material that came to me from my parents?

Although both of my parents have passed on, do not their genes continue to live?

Perhaps the definition of "replication" is the issue. When a cell replicates, it does not do so in the abstract, but by subdividing itself, splitting itself in two, each the identical cell it was.

Is a subdivided cell not the same cell? I would suggest that it is.

Does The Past exist? on 21:45 - Jul 31 with 1943 viewsMillJack

Does The Past exist? on 21:36 - Jul 31 by Davillin

Interesting point, controversial_jack, but am I not carrying around within me the very genetic material that came to me from my parents?

Although both of my parents have passed on, do not their genes continue to live?

Perhaps the definition of "replication" is the issue. When a cell replicates, it does not do so in the abstract, but by subdividing itself, splitting itself in two, each the identical cell it was.

Is a subdivided cell not the same cell? I would suggest that it is.

Technically your not as not one of the cells that currently exists in your body was there this time 12 months ago.
Does The Past exist? on 21:57 - Jul 31 with 1932 viewsDavillin

Does The Past exist? on 21:45 - Jul 31 by MillJack

Technically your not as not one of the cells that currently exists in your body was there this time 12 months ago.

I ask you to reconsider what you wrote, above.

I wrote: "Perhaps the definition of "replication" is the issue. When a cell replicates, it does not do so in the abstract, but by subdividing itself, splitting itself in two, each the identical cell it was.

Is a subdivided cell not the same cell?"

It was the genetic material that I noted as continuing, not the physical cell. There is a difference, most especially if the genetic material self-replicated, and the body did not create a different set.

Does The Past exist? on 21:58 - Jul 31 with 1931 viewsWatchman

nothing exists it is all a figment of your imagination

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Does The Past exist? on 21:58 - Jul 31 with 1929 viewsperchrockjack

I was so much older then
I'm younger then than now

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Does The Past exist? on 22:08 - Jul 31 with 1925 viewsphact0rri

Does The Past exist? on 20:55 - Jul 31 by Davillin

Well the actual blue prints Dna/rNa does in fact change as you age, as cells don't divide the way they once did and pieces fall away like a xerox.. its why people who children later in life often have complications cause all the building blocks aren't there anymore...

However there are bits of you that are there from when you are born. Like you probably still have Neurons around in your brain that are still there when you are born. Also bone enamels and that usually are permanent types of things unless they've been damaged.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Does The Past exist? on 22:41 - Jul 31 with 1916 viewsQuakerJack

Fcuk the past, if I dwell on the past my entire present and future would fall apart.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Does The Past exist? on 00:25 - Aug 1 with 1893 viewsLiam

I'm going to be bold and say yes.

If it didn't exist then how come I can still see my posts I sent earlier?

Kind of simple really.
Does The Past exist? on 00:42 - Aug 1 with 1889 viewsgrampajack

Was it important to you that it did, or even only might have?
was it a court case, a possible payout, a perfume on the summer breeze???

Does The Past exist? on 05:13 - Aug 1 with 1875 viewscontroversial_jack

Does The Past exist? on 00:25 - Aug 1 by Liam

I'm going to be bold and say yes.

If it didn't exist then how come I can still see my posts I sent earlier?

Kind of simple really.

But you are reading them in the present. Every time you look at them it's the present
Does The Past exist? on 09:40 - Aug 1 with 1854 viewsdickythorpe

The past "existed" and you can be held into account for what you did in the past.
Does The Past exist? on 11:35 - Aug 1 with 1832 viewsCottsy

I would say the past exists as well as existed.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Does The Past exist? on 14:25 - Aug 1 with 1797 viewsLiam

Does The Past exist? on 05:13 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

But you are reading them in the present. Every time you look at them it's the present

Yeah but we're not asking if the present exists, we're asking if the past exists.

The past exists because stuff happened before the present and there is records of the past state compared to the present (i.e. posts sent a while a go).

Simple init
Does The Past exist? on 18:41 - Aug 1 with 1775 viewsDavillin

Does The Past exist? on 22:08 - Jul 31 by phact0rri

Well the actual blue prints Dna/rNa does in fact change as you age, as cells don't divide the way they once did and pieces fall away like a xerox.. its why people who children later in life often have complications cause all the building blocks aren't there anymore...

However there are bits of you that are there from when you are born. Like you probably still have Neurons around in your brain that are still there when you are born. Also bone enamels and that usually are permanent types of things unless they've been damaged.

Thank you, phact0rri.

A side note first: Perhaps the "pieces falling away" also explain why cloning is so risky, and would be even moreso if rich old people want themselves cloned, in addition to their bodies being cryogenically frozen. Immortality won't work, but money talks, and hope springs eternal until it crashes into reality.

Your post did not resolve my issue, because your first paragraph seems to indicate that the past cannot exist in my DNA, but yet the second paragraph makes it seem to be at least feasible.

Does The Past exist? on 19:08 - Aug 1 with 1770 viewsHighjack

Every atom of our being was there at the big bang, created into elements later by the pressure of various dying stars and will be floating around the universe long after we die for eternity or until the universe comes to an end in some unknown way, so in a sense we are and always will be the past, present and future.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does The Past exist? on 19:50 - Aug 1 with 1759 viewsJackistentialist

Does The Past exist? on 19:08 - Aug 1 by Highjack

Every atom of our being was there at the big bang, created into elements later by the pressure of various dying stars and will be floating around the universe long after we die for eternity or until the universe comes to an end in some unknown way, so in a sense we are and always will be the past, present and future.

'The past' and by extension 'the future' do not exist - they are solely abstract concepts invented by minds incapable of discerning the fundamental processes of existence.

There is an Amazonian tribe which appears to have barely any concept of time - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13452711
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024