Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's "wrong" with Christianity? 20:17 - Aug 3 with 29608 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity?

N.B. In my opinion, it's not what's "wrong" with Christianity, but rather what's wrong with certain dismissive analyses of Christianity.

Everything that's "wrong" with Christianity is not about Christ and his teaching, but is about matters tangential to his teaching.

First and foremost, the Old Testament. Eliminate all of it and all of the hate-filled attacks on the thousands of sometimes imaginary and sometimes at least partly imaginary, and this would be a quieter place, and a quieter message board.

Second, eliminate all of the mythical elements like angels singing on high, and three wise men, and immaculate conception, and virgin birth, etc, etc, etc.

Third, eliminate all of the happy horsesh!t that goes on within the formalized churches -- especially the Catholic Church -- everything from fanciful non-Biblical embellishments and sometimes exceedingly silly rules and dogma, to long-past historical peccadilloes and worse, long-past political, economic, and military outrages.

Fourth, eliminate all of the excesses in wealth, ostentatious wealth, and pseudo regal trappings.

Fifth, do not be put off by Christ's speaking of Heaven and Hell, and the Father, but remember that these are images fully understood by his unsophisticated audience as images of one kind or another, and are not granite-hard reality.

Not one of the things I describe above has anything significant to do with either Christ or his teachings. When you ignore or eliminate all of those things, you will have the freedom to get to the heart of his teaching.

Although you can be richly rewarded by searching through the New Testament, reading all of the red typeface (which is a standard indication of the words of Christ), you really need go no further than the Sermon on the Mount, where, in essence, he gives an explication of The Ten Commandments, which alone give anyone who wants it a guide to a moral life.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-5_7/

The "pixies and fairies" so beloved of those who wish to denigrate either the Bible, religion itself, or just Christianity, were put in there as a means of explaining astoundingly complex concepts to people who were completely ill-equipped to understand them without these "teaching aids."

Anyone who is, or pretends to be, intelligent and well-read, should know to move immediately beyond these images and get to the heart of the teaching.

I not only admit, but trumpet aloud, the fact that it is far too easy to be dismissive based on tangentials, and difficult to get past them to the meaning, and moreover sometimes difficult beyond some persons' intellectual capacity.

In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:30 - Aug 3 with 11853 viewsDrizzle

One problem surely is that some Christians think that belief is enough. Unfortunatley what really matters is how you act. If you want to know what someone believes, look at their actions. Its all very well saying you believe but if you treat people like crap then that doesn't tally. Going to church once a week doesn't make you a christian. Living selflessly makes you a christian.
The fact is Christianity doesn't work because not enough people(who supposedly practice it) understand what it is to be Christian. Back to the individual again, as usual.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 20:57 - Aug 3 with 11744 viewsJackoBoostardo

you could just try reading one of the several threads already here - as these more than answer your points.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:46 - Aug 3 with 11756 viewsepaul

It's all bollux

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 00:54 - Aug 4 with 11738 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 23:46 - Aug 3 by epaul

It's all bollux

In my opinion, you do not do yourself justice by one crude dismissive phrase, in light of the fact that many of the greatest intellects of the past 2,000 years have studied it -- and thousands of times more deeply than you have -- and written some of the most important religious prose ever.

These great philosopher-writers deal almost exclusively with what Christ taught, and not the tangentials I name in the original post.

Reading your posts about religion recently leads me to the conclusion that you have read not a word of any of those great philosophers. It also appears to me that you did not even read the original post.

I am not being in the least rude or dismissive, but a post like yours is worthless.

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 01:33 - Aug 4 with 11725 viewsepaul

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 00:54 - Aug 4 by Davillin

In my opinion, you do not do yourself justice by one crude dismissive phrase, in light of the fact that many of the greatest intellects of the past 2,000 years have studied it -- and thousands of times more deeply than you have -- and written some of the most important religious prose ever.

These great philosopher-writers deal almost exclusively with what Christ taught, and not the tangentials I name in the original post.

Reading your posts about religion recently leads me to the conclusion that you have read not a word of any of those great philosophers. It also appears to me that you did not even read the original post.

I am not being in the least rude or dismissive, but a post like yours is worthless.

TBH I couldn't give a flying f*** and I'll come back to my original statement that it's all a load of bollux. You say christ taught, hang on he's just some imaginary bloke, so that says a lot that you put an imaginery person in that context when he never existed....delusional...and I'll say it again great philosophers what religious ones....one word bullsh1t

Please be aware whilst I have a disdain for religion, if an individual has comfort in it good for them just don't push it on me

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 02:05 - Aug 4 with 11720 viewsDavillin

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 01:33 - Aug 4 by epaul

TBH I couldn't give a flying f*** and I'll come back to my original statement that it's all a load of bollux. You say christ taught, hang on he's just some imaginary bloke, so that says a lot that you put an imaginery person in that context when he never existed....delusional...and I'll say it again great philosophers what religious ones....one word bullsh1t

Please be aware whilst I have a disdain for religion, if an individual has comfort in it good for them just don't push it on me

Shhhhhhh. You'll have a stroke or a coronary. It's not worth it.

History -- many historians, and contemporary and near-contemporary historians -- say he did exist. Even the Koran acknowledges it.

Who knows? Some day History might say that you existed, too. And someone will dismiss it as "bollux" or bullsh1t.

Ah, ignominy undeserved!

[p.s. I missed the posts where someone "pushed religion on you."]

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 02:58 - Aug 4 with 11711 viewsphact0rri

What are you on about? what makes people angry at Christians? or what makes people not want to believe in Christianity?

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 07:46 - Aug 4 with 11678 viewsdailew

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Login to get fewer ads

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:07 - Aug 4 with 11592 viewsJackoBoostardo

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 02:05 - Aug 4 by Davillin

Shhhhhhh. You'll have a stroke or a coronary. It's not worth it.

History -- many historians, and contemporary and near-contemporary historians -- say he did exist. Even the Koran acknowledges it.

Who knows? Some day History might say that you existed, too. And someone will dismiss it as "bollux" or bullsh1t.

Ah, ignominy undeserved!

[p.s. I missed the posts where someone "pushed religion on you."]

Name these historians along with their credentials then... As there Is no proof he existed other than a few vague references relating to a person where some have managed to add 2+3 and made 78,000!

At least back up your claim!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:39 - Aug 4 with 11634 viewsjackb

Well actually you are being exactly that!
What's on 08:43 - Aug 4 with 11642 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:39 - Aug 4 by jackb

Well actually you are being exactly that!

Anyone who deplores homophobia should also deplore theophobia. Paul has long expressed his disgust at some peoples attitudes towards homosexuals, yet he displays similar irrational hatred towards religion. Its almost funny.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2014 8:53]
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:04 - Aug 4 with 11615 viewsphact0rri

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 08:07 - Aug 4 by JackoBoostardo

Name these historians along with their credentials then... As there Is no proof he existed other than a few vague references relating to a person where some have managed to add 2+3 and made 78,000!

At least back up your claim!

Actually, Senator Tacitus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus ) wrote a small passage about the execution of one Jesus Christ, in one of his Annals. Historically we take this a valid record. It goes into detail and if we take one of the greatest Roman historians known.

In context if we are to take Tacitus' account he could have been included in the mass executions of christians after they set fire to parts of rome, that burned for five days (ala the great fire or rome).

*shrugs* The knowledge of Jesus Christ existing isn't at all confused in history. We know he existed, and if its heavily shown in many roman records that he was a bit of a rebel rouser.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

What's on 09:04 - Aug 4 with 11613 viewsepaul

What's on 08:43 - Aug 4 by Drizzle

Anyone who deplores homophobia should also deplore theophobia. Paul has long expressed his disgust at some peoples attitudes towards homosexuals, yet he displays similar irrational hatred towards religion. Its almost funny.

It's the theory of religion I guess I hate not individuals

What's on 09:39 - Aug 4 with 11588 viewsDrizzle

What's on 09:04 - Aug 4 by epaul

It's the theory of religion I guess I hate not individuals

The theory of religion is actually to treat every one better. Its just that humans seem to make even something as positive as that into a cause of yet more conflict. Its not the idea that's bad, just our inability to implement it. As has been mentioned several times communism looks great in theory. It falls down when you try and make it a lifestyle though as human self will has a tendency to creep back in at the most in-opportune of moments.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:41 - Aug 4 with 11587 viewsDrizzle

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 07:46 - Aug 4 by dailew

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Or in your case, post not lest you be judged. Easy to hide behind arrows. On the evidence of what little you post, probably a good idea to keep it that way.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:54 - Aug 4 with 11517 viewsperchrockjack

If nothing else it's a very eloquent op.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 11:48 - Aug 4 with 11518 viewsJJJack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:04 - Aug 4 by phact0rri

Actually, Senator Tacitus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus ) wrote a small passage about the execution of one Jesus Christ, in one of his Annals. Historically we take this a valid record. It goes into detail and if we take one of the greatest Roman historians known.

In context if we are to take Tacitus' account he could have been included in the mass executions of christians after they set fire to parts of rome, that burned for five days (ala the great fire or rome).

*shrugs* The knowledge of Jesus Christ existing isn't at all confused in history. We know he existed, and if its heavily shown in many roman records that he was a bit of a rebel rouser.

I'm glad you posted this link. According to you it is "evidence" that Jesus Christ existed. When even a cursory read of it raises far more questions than answers. The link suggests that Christ was perhaps crucified or set upon by dogs....but Tacitus wrote this in c.116 A.D. and states it occurred in 64 A.D.
I had always thought "Jesus" died in 32 or 33 A.D. .....as that was his age at the time. Perhaps I just misunderstood this point. I'm sorry, but I have read a lot of evidence to suggest there is no certainty that a" Jesus Christ" Esq. existed in that area at that particular time. The origins of Christianity are highly questionable and were "agreed" upon some centuries later I understand. In other words, conveniently made up to control the masses. It worked. Until people developed the intelligence to understand the deviousness of it all.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 11:51 - Aug 4 with 11518 viewsjackonicko

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:54 - Aug 4 by perchrockjack

I agree with Dav that some fellow called something like Jesus existed. Whether he was the son of the Big Guy is another matter.

My problem with Christianity can be summed up in three little words. "Spread the word". That has been translated into some of the most abhorrent human behaviour of all history.
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:21 - Aug 4 with 11490 viewsjackb

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 09:54 - Aug 4 by perchrockjack

he does like to be
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:26 - Aug 4 with 11493 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:21 - Aug 4 by jackb

he does like to be

Here's a serious question for you Jackb.

If you profess to be this enlightened leftie like yoh do on here why do you constantly try to ridicule the OP?

Serious question.
Just wondering.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What's on 12:26 - Aug 4 with 11482 viewsjackb

What's on 08:43 - Aug 4 by Drizzle

Religion is a choice, sexuality is not;
I don't get LGBT people knocking me up of a morning trying to convert me on the doorstep
Their views and actions are not affecting what I can/can't do;
You don't get LGBT people warping and manipulating the minds of the young ,the weak and the vulnerable.

No real comparison, IMHO :)

Nothing irrational in disliking religion, it's the exact opposite!
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:35 - Aug 4 with 11478 viewsJJJack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:26 - Aug 4 by Darran

Here's a serious question for you Jackb.

If you profess to be this enlightened leftie like yoh do on here why do you constantly try to ridicule the OP?

Serious question.
Just wondering.

"In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues."

I'll tell you what I ridicule Daz.......look at the above paragraph which is the final paragraph of the OP. Dav puts a pretty reasonable post on here which is thought-provoking if not obviously biased. But then ends the post with a "and don't bother disagreeing with me because I'm not going to bother discussing it if you do" comment. That's about as ridiculous and pointless as you can get in terms of starting up a , er, "discussion".
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:50 - Aug 4 with 11473 viewsDarran

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:35 - Aug 4 by JJJack

"In my opinion, it's better simply to not get involved in these discussions than to try to fight against the closed mind, and especially the mind that is closed because of non-essential and inconsequential side issues."

I'll tell you what I ridicule Daz.......look at the above paragraph which is the final paragraph of the OP. Dav puts a pretty reasonable post on here which is thought-provoking if not obviously biased. But then ends the post with a "and don't bother disagreeing with me because I'm not going to bother discussing it if you do" comment. That's about as ridiculous and pointless as you can get in terms of starting up a , er, "discussion".

I wasn't talking about just this post J though I'm not disagreeing with you I'm talking about Jackb in general.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:57 - Aug 4 with 11455 viewsLiam

Re OP:

I disagree with ignoring the OT. If you ignore that massive context very little of the NT makes sense - for example why was there a need for a messiah? Humanity in chaos, atonement, Judges, Kings, Solomon, David and the need for an eternal perfect king.

Secondly ignoring the supernatural stuff is folly. You need to take it all otherwise you're believing in an idol not a sovereign god - sovereign over natural laws and able do alter them at will.

I just realised he's also most probably blocked me so can't read this oh well
What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 13:04 - Aug 4 with 11450 viewsJJJack

What's "wrong" with Christianity? on 12:50 - Aug 4 by Darran

I wasn't talking about just this post J though I'm not disagreeing with you I'm talking about Jackb in general.

Fair enough. My memory is not good enough to remember what people usually post. I can't even remember what I post myself TBH
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024