Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Thread 2014 22:12 - Aug 7 with 7298 viewsC_jack

Let's get it going.

First weekend of pre season starts tonight.

28 days until the regular season kicks off with Packers @ Seahawks.

Who's your tip for the Lombardi?

How's Johnny Manziel going to do in his rookie season at the Browns?

[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 22:27]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

NFL Thread 2014 on 10:17 - Aug 8 with 2536 viewsLe_Swans

Pretty new to the NFL, always watched Super Bowl but only really started supporting (Niners, not the best result last night) through last season due to the NFLUK Fantasy League, did it with a few mates and got hooked, especially as you have to change your team each week, you really need to know the players and match ups., already cant wait for this years, plus Wembley in September.

Is it much the same as our football where the pre season doesn't really show a reflection of where a teams is at?

Seahawks, Broncos, NO Saints or the Pats (if they can get the Gronk fit).

Don't think Johnny will start for the Browns, however will probably end the season as the first pick having showed glimpses of what he can do, needs to sort that ego in a tad though.
NFL Thread 2014 on 10:41 - Aug 8 with 2529 viewsC_jack

I think it's a gradual build from the first pre season game to the last, Peyton Manning only threw 13 passes last night, but he'll probably play the full game in the last pre season match.

Broncos seem to have shored up their Defensive line, so will be looking to go far again, I like the Chargers in that division though.

I think the Lions will be really fired up this season, after their incredible choking effort last term.

Titans are my dark horses.

Going to put my early prediction on a Lions-Chargers bowl though

NFL Thread 2014 on 10:45 - Aug 8 with 2523 viewsC_jack

Last night's scores

Colts 10-13 Jets
Niners 3-23 Ravens
Pats 6-23 Redskins
Bengals 39-41 Chiefs
Seahawks 16-21 Broncos
Cowboys 7-27 Chargers
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 10:46]

NFL Thread 2014 on 10:51 - Aug 8 with 2515 viewsJonnyTheJack

Pre season is about building your best 53 man roster. 90 players start each training camp for each team. It's huge for 2nd and 3rd stringers to try and make the team. I don't know if you have watched Hard Knocks but it's a great insight into training camps. The first episode of this years series aired Tuesday. You can watch it online.

The starters barely play. The 3rd pre season game is where the starters play around a quarter which is the most they'll play. The 4th pre season game they probably play even less than the 1st game so it's essentially 2nd and 3rd stringers playing each other.

If we (Broncos) can stay injury free then i'd tip us to go to the Super Bowl again but we've got a tough schedule and our bye week is week 4 which is ridiculous. Defense is absolutely loaded now and our offense will still put up big numbers. The Colts are our biggest threat in the AFC I think.
In the NFC I think the Seahawks are still favs t win it all but I really like the Saints to go to at least the championship game.
Hoyer looks like he'll get the starting job but they'll both be judged seriously in these 4 games and sees who wins it.
NFL Thread 2014 on 11:01 - Aug 8 with 2510 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 10:41 - Aug 8 by C_jack

I think it's a gradual build from the first pre season game to the last, Peyton Manning only threw 13 passes last night, but he'll probably play the full game in the last pre season match.

Broncos seem to have shored up their Defensive line, so will be looking to go far again, I like the Chargers in that division though.

I think the Lions will be really fired up this season, after their incredible choking effort last term.

Titans are my dark horses.

Going to put my early prediction on a Lions-Chargers bowl though

Pretty similar to over here then with the pre season, results not too important, more about fine tuning tactics, plays etc.

Well if Stafford and Megatron (was a regular WR in my teams last year) link up as well again you may well be right, some cracking plays between them last season, wouldn't have picked them two teams though.

Jamal Charles and the Chiefs defence may have something to say about the Chargers, along with the Bronco's that is.
NFL Thread 2014 on 13:22 - Aug 8 with 2496 viewsAquinas

Is there any chance the dolphins will be more than average this season?
NFL Thread 2014 on 13:52 - Aug 8 with 2480 viewsDavillin

How each team treats pre-season games is its own decision and often varies from season to season.

For example. Dick Vermeil, when he first coached the Eagles, went balls-out to win every pre-season game in order to build confidence and show his players how to win. He went undefeated and had a winning regular season. He did not announce that beforehand, however, and he never did it again. Other teams do the same thing from time to time.

Teams in the NFL, also like the Premier League, try out new things, like formations and "partnerships," or they give some players more experience, or they use the games for evaluation of players.

In fine, there is great variety in how pre-season games are treated, not only from team to team, but usually from season to season. Long-time supporters almost always know what's happening in pre-season, usually after just 1 or 2 games, and better than even commentators who pretend to know. Ask some of the long-time supporters of an NFL team on here.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

NFL Thread 2014 on 14:30 - Aug 8 with 2464 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:52 - Aug 8 by Davillin

How each team treats pre-season games is its own decision and often varies from season to season.

For example. Dick Vermeil, when he first coached the Eagles, went balls-out to win every pre-season game in order to build confidence and show his players how to win. He went undefeated and had a winning regular season. He did not announce that beforehand, however, and he never did it again. Other teams do the same thing from time to time.

Teams in the NFL, also like the Premier League, try out new things, like formations and "partnerships," or they give some players more experience, or they use the games for evaluation of players.

In fine, there is great variety in how pre-season games are treated, not only from team to team, but usually from season to season. Long-time supporters almost always know what's happening in pre-season, usually after just 1 or 2 games, and better than even commentators who pretend to know. Ask some of the long-time supporters of an NFL team on here.

Cheers for the input / info, Dav, appreciated.

As stated I'm relatively new to following the NFL, last season was my first actively looking out for all games, so a little unsure on the ways teams treated pre season, the Niners defeat last night didn't help either, but as mentioned first games probably aren't much to worry about.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 14:30]
Login to get fewer ads

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:04 - Aug 8 with 2435 viewsC_jack

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:22 - Aug 8 by Aquinas

Is there any chance the dolphins will be more than average this season?

If we sort out the Offensive line then we've got a chance of the post season. Knoshown Moreno is a great addition at RB, and Tannehill is only going to improve.

As long as we stuff the Jets (and now Michael Vick) I'll be happy.

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:12 - Aug 8 with 2431 viewsDrizzy

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:04 - Aug 8 by C_jack

If we sort out the Offensive line then we've got a chance of the post season. Knoshown Moreno is a great addition at RB, and Tannehill is only going to improve.

No chance Dolphins make the post-season, I doubt they'll better 8-8. Porous O-line will fall apart as always. Moreno is an average RB too, he's not going to save the running game.

Saints are my pick for the Super Bowl as long as they claim the 1st seed in the NFC.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:22 - Aug 8 with 2426 viewsAquinas

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:04 - Aug 8 by C_jack

Have you ever been to a Dolphins v Jets game live? Great fun.

I don't think Tannehill is a Super Bowl winning QB, then again neither was Marino....
NFL Thread 2014 on 18:26 - Aug 8 with 2419 viewsC_jack

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:22 - Aug 8 by Aquinas

Have you ever been to a Dolphins v Jets game live? Great fun.

I don't think Tannehill is a Super Bowl winning QB, then again neither was Marino....

I haven't, sadly. Did you go in Miami or New York? I couldn't stand being in their stadium with thousands of those buggers around.

They are the Cardiff of the NFL.

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:42 - Aug 8 with 2411 viewsAquinas

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:26 - Aug 8 by C_jack

I haven't, sadly. Did you go in Miami or New York? I couldn't stand being in their stadium with thousands of those buggers around.

They are the Cardiff of the NFL.

At the Sun Life. I have family who lives near Fort Lauderdale, so luckily enough to get over now and again.

Hopefully I can get over in 2019 for this if Rodney Barreto has his way.. http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/06/4275039/south-florida-in-holding-pattern.h
NFL Thread 2014 on 11:23 - Aug 21 with 2309 viewsC_jack

Cleveland Browns pick Brian Hoyer as their starter for the season. Manziel benched.

2 weeks tonight!

NFL Thread 2014 on 21:41 - Aug 21 with 2242 viewsDavillin

Regretfully, I have decided to not run the "NFL Braggin' Rights Competition," at least not as previously.

If anyone has any ideas for an alternate, please p.m. me.

In the alternative, we can simply put our predictions on this thread and brag from that.

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:15 - Aug 21 with 2221 viewsBanosswan

NFL Thread 2014 on 21:41 - Aug 21 by Davillin

Regretfully, I have decided to not run the "NFL Braggin' Rights Competition," at least not as previously.

If anyone has any ideas for an alternate, please p.m. me.

In the alternative, we can simply put our predictions on this thread and brag from that.

All do a fantasy team and just have a planet swans league?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

NFL Thread 2014 on 01:17 - Aug 22 with 2210 viewsDavillin

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:15 - Aug 21 by Banosswan

All do a fantasy team and just have a planet swans league?

I would have not the slightest idea about how to do that. Any volunteers?

NFL Thread 2014 on 00:23 - Aug 24 with 2140 viewsreddythered

For nightbirds/insomniacs, NFL Pre Season Redzone is on Sky Sports 2.

Lull in action, staying with 'Phins - Cowpokes.

Miami's offence looks a LOT better with Lazor as OC. Now able to run, T-Hill looks more like T-Kill...

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

NFL Thread 2014 on 08:04 - Aug 24 with 2113 viewsShonky

NFL Thread 2014 on 01:17 - Aug 22 by Davillin

I would have not the slightest idea about how to do that. Any volunteers?

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football

Someone from here could set up a closed league, and the people would have to register for CBS ff and join that league. The draft is then done live.

Its just a ride...

NFL Thread 2014 on 08:17 - Aug 24 with 2111 viewsShonky

I have set up a league. Need 12 people to draft. Draft will be Monday 1st Sept 9pm our time( 4pm ET)( One week tomorrow)
PM me for league password. Next step for everyone who is interested is to register for CBS FF at link in above post)
If we don't get 12 its not the end of the world. We can all look around and join another league together.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2014 8:24]

Its just a ride...

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:10 - Aug 24 with 2088 viewsC_jack

The NFL UK game will be up soon, which should more than suffice.

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:36 - Aug 24 with 2081 viewsShonky

I guess it pretty complicated to the uninitiated, especially a live draft.
Its no biggie. I can dissolve that league if its decided to use a different platform.

Its just a ride...

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:56 - Aug 25 with 2019 viewsC_jack

http://prod.www.nfluk.clubs.nfl.com/fantasy/index.html

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:50 - Aug 26 with 1988 viewsLB7

The NFL UK fantasy league does look and sound much simpler especially as some of us are still learning the ropes with NFL itself.

Due to it's simplicity it could offer extra participants too!

FAO Shonky - Do you want to set this up? I'm more than happy to set up a league if not.
NFL Thread 2014 on 16:31 - Aug 26 with 1966 viewsJonnyTheJack

What if I set up a pickem league on NFL.com? You just predict the winner of every game?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024