Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? 19:44 - Aug 26 with 953 viewsDavillin

My grandson left the other day for his second year in college. For some time now, I have been taking steps to ensure that certain things I have valued during my life get where I want them to go after I've gone. For personal reasons, they all go to my daughter to be kept in her family. [Some day I'll tell you about two brothers I once knew, who had the most insane battles over their father's estate.]

A couple of weeks ago, I visited my daughter's family and brought with me the three books that I consider the heart, or soul, or spine of my personal library, and gave them to my grandson with the inscription in each "For a lifetime."

I had originally intended to buy newer editions of aach than the ones I have had for many years, but decided that I'd rather he had them. He was moved by that sentiment, I'm happy to say.

My question to you is what book or books do you consider the heart, or soul, or spine of your personal library? And, if you will, why?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 19:47 - Aug 26 with 934 viewsdickythorpe

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach and Razzler Best of 1985.

Reasons there's tasty food and tasty birds.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2014 19:48]
The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 19:51 - Aug 26 with 941 viewsperchrockjack

Oliver Twist, long walk to freedom, w b Yeats poetry

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 19:57 - Aug 26 with 938 viewsswanny

Well, I look over to by handily placed bookcase and my well thumbed favourites are....Just William books, Dickens and the complete works of Shakespeare
......and Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management
[Post edited 26 Aug 2014 20:08]

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 20:34 - Aug 26 with 918 viewsBanosswan

Chrysalids by John Wyndham
Lord of the rings
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:04 - Aug 26 with 895 viewsThursday

The list is not static; it changes when I re-read books or remember the forgotten joys and lessons. Today, though:

A Walk in the Woods - Bryson
The Man who was Thursday - Chesterton
The Great Automatic Grammatizator - Dahl
Moby-Dick - Melville
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
The Joy of Cooking - Rombauer
The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:41 - Aug 26 with 870 viewsswanny

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:04 - Aug 26 by Thursday

The list is not static; it changes when I re-read books or remember the forgotten joys and lessons. Today, though:

A Walk in the Woods - Bryson
The Man who was Thursday - Chesterton
The Great Automatic Grammatizator - Dahl
Moby-Dick - Melville
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
The Joy of Cooking - Rombauer

Know ye now, Bulkington....

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:44 - Aug 26 with 866 viewsDavillin

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:41 - Aug 26 by swanny

Know ye now, Bulkington....

Or call me Ishmael.

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:45 - Aug 26 with 860 viewsDavillin

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:44 - Aug 26 by Davillin

Or call me Ishmael.

Seriously, I was extremely pleased to see Moby Dick" come up on this thread. Well done, indeed, Thursday!

Login to get fewer ads

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:47 - Aug 26 with 858 viewsswanny

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 21:44 - Aug 26 by Davillin

Or call me Ishmael.

Is it too late for me to add my collection of Edgar Rice Burroughs..

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 22:42 - Aug 26 with 827 viewsthe_oracle

The Janet and John books. With the help of dedicated teaching, taught me to read. Will never forget those immortal words" Run John, run".

When the Lion Feeds,. Wilbur Smith. My first "grown up book" when I was 11. Wow! Learnt a lot from that, and the action was brilliant. My teacher at the time took it off me as she was concerned about the adult content.

The Shining. My favourite Stephen King. He's part of a life of reading. Where ever I've strayed its always nice to pick up one of his books and immediately fall into his small town USA world, ( which is completely different and then exactly the same as my experience of non tourist America).
The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 23:43 - Aug 26 with 800 viewsswanny

I was just going to bed, and then I remembered J P Donleavy (Destinies of Darcy Dancer)
P G Wodehouse (Empress of Blandings) and Evelyn Waugh (Put out More Flags)

I don't think I'd be any good at all on Desert Island Disks :(

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 00:17 - Aug 27 with 780 viewsCaptain

I have a couple of books from the ASOIAF series signed by George RR Martin, not the whole series yet (plus there's still two to be released) but I hope to complete the set one day.

https://www.facebook.com/canadianswans A facebook page for Swansea City fans in Canada. Please like, share and spread the word!

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 11:53 - Aug 27 with 708 viewsCatullus

We don't keep many books. Once read we pass them onto our sons school were they are sold at fetes or boot sales to raise funds for the school.
But LOTR and the Hobbit we kept, along with a pile of Bill Bryson and Terry Pratchett that my wife loves.
I also have a series of books about Welsh history and Celtic mythology. Wev don't really read much serious stuff. I prefer reading to be escapism so I mostly read historical fiction. I have read all of Simon Scarrows books based in/around Rome (particularly enjoyed "Blood Crows") and I have Ben Kane's "Fields of Blood" and "Clouds of War" lined up next.
I read Moby Dick when younger, along with some Dickens but don't own any.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 14:14 - Aug 27 with 676 viewsDavillin

The heart, soul, or spine of your personal library? on 11:53 - Aug 27 by Catullus

We don't keep many books. Once read we pass them onto our sons school were they are sold at fetes or boot sales to raise funds for the school.
But LOTR and the Hobbit we kept, along with a pile of Bill Bryson and Terry Pratchett that my wife loves.
I also have a series of books about Welsh history and Celtic mythology. Wev don't really read much serious stuff. I prefer reading to be escapism so I mostly read historical fiction. I have read all of Simon Scarrows books based in/around Rome (particularly enjoyed "Blood Crows") and I have Ben Kane's "Fields of Blood" and "Clouds of War" lined up next.
I read Moby Dick when younger, along with some Dickens but don't own any.

Respectfully, you should seriously consider reading Moby Dick again now that you're mature. You will find it a new book because you will read past the "adventure" and get to the core of the book and its characters.

Melville was a very popular writer with his "South Seas adventures," and went into literary blankness when Moby Dick came out, chiefly because his audience were disappointed that it wasn't like his earlier, and very popular, works. He died in obscurity, the media not even reporting his death until three days afterward, and then without fanfare.

Some years later, new readers, not being saddled with the bias of the earlier works, began to see and explain the deeper meanings, and it has become what is arguably the best and greatest American novel, and certainly one of the great classics of all literature.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024