Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Questions than Answers 23:54 - Aug 26 with 7356 views_

3 games played
Won 3 Drawn 0 Lost 0 For 4 Against 1

Pretty impressive stats, pretty impressive start.

But why doesn't it feel as good as it should?!

I don't want to start a negative thread here because the season is well and truly up and running and we've got a massive chance next Saturday of already stabbing through a big marker in the ground to be in this division next season - the main objective!!

Lots of positives tonight also; youngsters did themselves proud, Carroll looked classy, full backs solid and comfortable on the ball keeping possession, Jazz' best game in a Swans shirt in my opinion and a very classy acquisition in Fede MkII. Gomis also looks a solid buy and in fairness for a big lump has a real good touch and just seems to have that ability to drag the ball away from defenders and keep hold of the ball. In some ways it's a pity Bony is here at the same time as this boy would be our first and only starter - but that's one of those "nice" problems isn't it. Well I hope so.

I'm also happy with our wide men. Routs and Dyer are dyed in the wool Jacks by now and we know exactly what we're going to get; ok they won't always get everything right, but that's just the way it is, typically with a Swans player, but they're absolutely too class for us. Montero has come in and looks a live wire; he does seem to be the type of player that will do as much right as he will get wrong but when you think about our out and out chances tonight he was behind a big percentage of them.

I am a little worried however about the amount of zip and chances we create now. That to me, at this moment in time, is the clear difference between a Laudrup team and a Monk team. We need to create more "zip" in the middle of the park and get the ball in and around the box quicker feeding both our wingers a lot more than we are at the moment.

I am a little concerned with our middle of the park. I really don't want to see any more of Shelvey's Hollywood passes, at least not on such regularity. He needs to mix up his game a lot more and look for more zip, more one-twos and get a lot more energy about us in centre midfield. Ki can be fairly static too and to a lesser degree so is Siggy. I really thought Siggy would look a different class tonight for half hour but he just didn't.

I will look back at the best one half performance I've ever seen from the Swans and that was the absolute demolition of West Brom at home two seasons ago. We could do with having a little look at the style of play and tactics used in that game and look to employ that again, especially at home. We need more pace in the middle, we need more energy and as I keep saying "zip", something's not right with us in this department and if we don't get it right it could have a knock on effect for the next few months.

Onwards and Upwards.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

More Questions than Answers on 02:55 - Aug 27 with 1199 viewsphact0rri

More Questions than Answers on 00:24 - Aug 27 by Davillin

How the hell did you know that?

[p.s. I never use Google, but I certainly did look it up in a dictionary, thank you.]

apparently someone still uses a gopher to navigate the internet. Archie or something

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

More Questions than Answers on 06:17 - Aug 27 with 1153 viewsbluenile

More Questions than Answers on 00:16 - Aug 27 by _

Why don't you fack off mate, eh... You and your chum Teabag?

Good, thoughtful, considered post..........................or maybe not

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

More Questions than Answers on 07:20 - Aug 27 with 1098 viewsBrynmill_Jack

More Questions than Answers on 00:43 - Aug 27 by LeonisGod

F*ck me. Has someone hacked Dwight's account?

No. He's just looking for a new club

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

More Questions than Answers on 07:40 - Aug 27 with 1067 viewsNeathJack

More Questions than Answers on 00:16 - Aug 27 by _

Why don't you fack off mate, eh... You and your chum Teabag?

Nah I'm fine here thanks.

Also the last thing i am, or I imagine would ever want to be, is your mate.
More Questions than Answers on 08:09 - Aug 27 with 1022 viewsymaohyd

I know that you are pretty much hated on here but I have to say I know where you are coming from on certain points. Everything is great at the moment, but the warning signs are there in terms of style and the ability of midfield to play in a shape that allows us to keep the ball with ease, this seems to have gone out of our game.

I must say I,m on holidays at the moment, watched the games against Utd and Burnley on TV havent seen last nights game.

Youre comments on Siggy though are ridiculous. Reading yesterdays Mail, one of the pundits is already talking about him being the signing of the season. He suits us so well and so far a goal and two assists! Many of players, play at clubs and dont get anywhere near enough game time. For me Siggy is and will be our main man, without him if he gets injured I think well be half the team we wll hope well be this season; We dont have anyone else, anywhere near his ability in that position.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

More Questions than Answers on 11:16 - Aug 27 with 910 viewsCatullus

T2, I think your point about zip is fair. At times we slowed it down too much and looked for the long ball instead of quick passing and movement to break them down.
Hopefully that will come. Dyer is fairly hopeless at crossing so that's probably why he comes inside. But with Montero and Routs mixing it up we should have enough to cause the oppo problems.
Have to agree with the comments about our midfield changes too. We had two debuts in centre midfield and Sheehan had a nightmare first 30, he couldn't control the ball, kept getting caught in possession and his passes frequently went astray. But he gradually improved. It was a hard debut against a hard working and big championship team.
Carroll did quite well and he's looking like a decent loanee. We still need that CDM and if we get him, we look really very strong in midfield.
Gomis tried hard, some things came off and some didn't. But a very good touch for a big fella and a very good work rate too. He's slightly different to Bony and that's good in itself. Took his goal very well and it's his willingness to shoot from anywhere I like. You don't shoot, you rarely score.
If it doesn't feel as good as it should, maybe it's because we have won 3 without playing very well, for the most part. But that in itself is an encouragement to me. Too many times previously we would have lost those games because we would have buckled. But we won those games by knuckling down and working hard. Shelvey was a bit headless chicken at times, Ki got muscled out and Gylfi went a wandering but it's still early days and again, hopefully it will all come together before long.
The fact that even when under pressure and looking a bit rattled we have only conceded one (and that at Old Trafford) can only be a positive. keep working hard, keep trying and we should be fine.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

More Questions than Answers on 11:29 - Aug 27 with 898 views_

More Questions than Answers on 11:16 - Aug 27 by Catullus

T2, I think your point about zip is fair. At times we slowed it down too much and looked for the long ball instead of quick passing and movement to break them down.
Hopefully that will come. Dyer is fairly hopeless at crossing so that's probably why he comes inside. But with Montero and Routs mixing it up we should have enough to cause the oppo problems.
Have to agree with the comments about our midfield changes too. We had two debuts in centre midfield and Sheehan had a nightmare first 30, he couldn't control the ball, kept getting caught in possession and his passes frequently went astray. But he gradually improved. It was a hard debut against a hard working and big championship team.
Carroll did quite well and he's looking like a decent loanee. We still need that CDM and if we get him, we look really very strong in midfield.
Gomis tried hard, some things came off and some didn't. But a very good touch for a big fella and a very good work rate too. He's slightly different to Bony and that's good in itself. Took his goal very well and it's his willingness to shoot from anywhere I like. You don't shoot, you rarely score.
If it doesn't feel as good as it should, maybe it's because we have won 3 without playing very well, for the most part. But that in itself is an encouragement to me. Too many times previously we would have lost those games because we would have buckled. But we won those games by knuckling down and working hard. Shelvey was a bit headless chicken at times, Ki got muscled out and Gylfi went a wandering but it's still early days and again, hopefully it will all come together before long.
The fact that even when under pressure and looking a bit rattled we have only conceded one (and that at Old Trafford) can only be a positive. keep working hard, keep trying and we should be fine.

Yes, good post and I agree.

If we are 15-20 games in and have won around half without still playing that well I will begin to believe that we are indeed just good at what we’re doing.

My fear at the moment, and I keep quoting Martinez, who used to constantly bang on about the performance just as much as results, and in fairness that makes sense.

The Ymaoehd(Sp?) chap said I’d made a ridiculous comment about Siggy but then said he wasn’t there to even watch the game or listen on radio — I wasn’t even having a pop at Gylfi because I am more than excited with him coming back to us, but would you agree yesterday that you thought he’d come on and sparkle up our central area? It’s not his fault and again, no criticism of him, I’m just wondering what would be a better balance in that middle area.

Because, in fairness, I personally am more than happy with all other areas. We have a few days left before the window shuts.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

More Questions than Answers on 11:31 - Aug 27 with 889 viewsA_Fans_Dad

More Questions than Answers on 11:16 - Aug 27 by Catullus

How many games did we play "lovely" football and dominated practically the whole game last season and either drew or lost by a last minute goal.
Winning when not playing at your best is a massive asset that the big teams seem to have (quite often aided by Refs, linesmen and extra time) and it is nice to see us able to do it.
As you said last season we would probably have collapsed and lost that game when the pressure came on in the second half.
If we can win dirty we should be able to win by more goals when playing well for 90 minutes, which will improve our goal difference.
Login to get fewer ads

More Questions than Answers on 11:31 - Aug 27 with 894 views_

More Questions than Answers on 07:40 - Aug 27 by NeathJack

Nah I'm fine here thanks.

Also the last thing i am, or I imagine would ever want to be, is your mate.

Oh I din't mean it in a friendly context, mate.

If you're happy here maybe you can play with the other boys and girls because if you want to reply to me then keep it football.

More Questions than Answers on 11:33 - Aug 27 with 890 views_

More Questions than Answers on 02:48 - Aug 27 by Highjack

We made ten changes, few debuts, numerous players first starts for the club and we comfortably eased past a Championship outfit who were going hell for leather. Don't see the problem myself.

Why does there have to be a "problem" as such?

Why can't we have a muse about the game and discuss players playing well, some who didn't, shapes, tactics, balance?

No problem at all....

More Questions than Answers on 11:35 - Aug 27 with 884 views_

More Questions than Answers on 11:31 - Aug 27 by A_Fans_Dad

How many games did we play "lovely" football and dominated practically the whole game last season and either drew or lost by a last minute goal.
Winning when not playing at your best is a massive asset that the big teams seem to have (quite often aided by Refs, linesmen and extra time) and it is nice to see us able to do it.
As you said last season we would probably have collapsed and lost that game when the pressure came on in the second half.
If we can win dirty we should be able to win by more goals when playing well for 90 minutes, which will improve our goal difference.

This is all very well and easy to say when we've won a game. Do you think this trend will continue the whole season?

I would just like to see us have a bit more pattern and shape to our play and especially attacks.

More Questions than Answers on 11:41 - Aug 27 with 875 viewsNeathJack

More Questions than Answers on 11:31 - Aug 27 by _

Oh I din't mean it in a friendly context, mate.

If you're happy here maybe you can play with the other boys and girls because if you want to reply to me then keep it football.

I'll reply in any way i see fit within the parameters and rules of the board. I certainly won't be dictated to by yourself, especially given the large dose of hypocrisy in your last post.

As i intimated in my original post, you couldn't wait to post something negative and anything positive generally comes with a caveat.

I almost feel a little sad for you as you appear unable to enjoy the greatest period in the clubs history because you have an agenda against certain people.

Then I realise i couldn't actually give a stuff.
More Questions than Answers on 11:45 - Aug 27 with 863 viewsmonmouth

I tend to agree with T2C here...we seem to be trying to go back to the Rodgers model rather than evolve the Laudrup model in my eyes. We have the pace in many areas to really get at teams as Liverpool did last season but perhaps not the mindset. It really is possible that all we lack is a skilled positionally aware sitting midfielder that can quickly give and take a pass. This would allow the others to be confident to take up more advanced positions quickly. 'Zip' is exactly the word I think, as we do look rather ponderous quite often and look to take touches and turn backwards. That's ok though, as people get to know each other's games and we develop a working model, but I hope it does evolve and we get our quick pass and move game back.

Still no one can argue about the results and, from what I've been told, last nights display was a lot better than the game against Middlesbrough in our golden year, when it was a QF. Looking forward to WBA....I know it's dangerous talk but I really would be disappointed if we can't give them a doing.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

More Questions than Answers on 11:47 - Aug 27 with 856 viewsDarran

More Questions than Answers on 11:41 - Aug 27 by NeathJack

I'll reply in any way i see fit within the parameters and rules of the board. I certainly won't be dictated to by yourself, especially given the large dose of hypocrisy in your last post.

As i intimated in my original post, you couldn't wait to post something negative and anything positive generally comes with a caveat.

I almost feel a little sad for you as you appear unable to enjoy the greatest period in the clubs history because you have an agenda against certain people.

Great post.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

More Questions than Answers on 11:52 - Aug 27 with 849 viewswaynekerr55

More Questions than Answers on 00:13 - Aug 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I can't agree with your reasoning regarding not creating much chances.

We created 2 goal scoring chances at Old Trafford (a difficult place to create a chance let alone score)

We created 3 chances against Burnley which were sitters along with numerous half chances.

Tonight we created little but what do you expect when you had the likes of Sheehan, whose natural football level judging by his performance is Conference South at best, in the centre of midfield.

While there is much to improve on I think we've started okay.

Conference South

I take it you haven't seen him close up much then Dwight

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

More Questions than Answers on 11:57 - Aug 27 with 841 views_

More Questions than Answers on 11:41 - Aug 27 by NeathJack

Not enough of a stiff to follow me around? Reply away then if you must, get stuck in...

You seem pretty sure of yourself mate, are you an amateur psychologist or something?

I couldn't wait to do this, that or the other.... how do you know that then? And what about you eh? Balanced are you, perfect maybe? Got anything football related to add or is this me and you now???
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 11:58]

More Questions than Answers on 11:59 - Aug 27 with 829 viewsPhil_S

Wasted on the forum you should sign up as a blogger...
More Questions than Answers on 12:02 - Aug 27 with 825 views_

More Questions than Answers on 11:45 - Aug 27 by monmouth

I tend to agree with T2C here...we seem to be trying to go back to the Rodgers model rather than evolve the Laudrup model in my eyes. We have the pace in many areas to really get at teams as Liverpool did last season but perhaps not the mindset. It really is possible that all we lack is a skilled positionally aware sitting midfielder that can quickly give and take a pass. This would allow the others to be confident to take up more advanced positions quickly. 'Zip' is exactly the word I think, as we do look rather ponderous quite often and look to take touches and turn backwards. That's ok though, as people get to know each other's games and we develop a working model, but I hope it does evolve and we get our quick pass and move game back.

Still no one can argue about the results and, from what I've been told, last nights display was a lot better than the game against Middlesbrough in our golden year, when it was a QF. Looking forward to WBA....I know it's dangerous talk but I really would be disappointed if we can't give them a doing.

It's pretty hard trying to have a football conversation on here these days. And you're dead right about that Boro game. I was racking my brain last night trying to thin of some poor games in this cup that year as I knew there would be...

On the other hand, check out our Mod's input into this, a football related thread?

Check out his bum pal NeathJack?

Nothing to add really apart from following me around an internet site. Sad.

More Questions than Answers on 12:03 - Aug 27 with 819 views_

More Questions than Answers on 11:59 - Aug 27 by Phil_S

Wasted on the forum you should sign up as a blogger...

Phil, In all seriousness...

What is going on with Darran as moderator on here?

Most of the bile drips down from him.

How can you justify his role on here?

More Questions than Answers on 12:13 - Aug 27 with 788 viewsCatullus

More Questions than Answers on 11:29 - Aug 27 by _

Yes, good post and I agree.

If we are 15-20 games in and have won around half without still playing that well I will begin to believe that we are indeed just good at what we’re doing.

My fear at the moment, and I keep quoting Martinez, who used to constantly bang on about the performance just as much as results, and in fairness that makes sense.

The Ymaoehd(Sp?) chap said I’d made a ridiculous comment about Siggy but then said he wasn’t there to even watch the game or listen on radio — I wasn’t even having a pop at Gylfi because I am more than excited with him coming back to us, but would you agree yesterday that you thought he’d come on and sparkle up our central area? It’s not his fault and again, no criticism of him, I’m just wondering what would be a better balance in that middle area.

Because, in fairness, I personally am more than happy with all other areas. We have a few days left before the window shuts.

Agreed, we can't keep playing like this and carry on winning, we have to improve the performance level.
Keep the levels high and the results should come too.

I didn't see Gylfi last night because my son was feeling ill so we had to leave early (half time early) but I'm told there wasn't much difference in the second half (by my mate who stayed) not even with the subs.
But Gylfi's role is fluid, he will wander around and that's why we need a good CDM, to plug gaps, read the game and break up attacks from those gaps.

Now for a good performance on Saturday and another 3 points, then we'll all be happy.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

More Questions than Answers on 12:15 - Aug 27 with 787 viewsNeathJack

More Questions than Answers on 11:57 - Aug 27 by _

Not enough of a stiff to follow me around? Reply away then if you must, get stuck in...

You seem pretty sure of yourself mate, are you an amateur psychologist or something?

I couldn't wait to do this, that or the other.... how do you know that then? And what about you eh? Balanced are you, perfect maybe? Got anything football related to add or is this me and you now???
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 11:58]

Balanced? I like to think so
Perfect? Certainly not
Able to see straight through someone with an agenda? Absolutely

As for football related, I'm delighted with the way the season has started, the gradual way our excellent young manager is bedding the new players in and the clear added steel and desire in the teams play.

The progress to date and taking into account the end of last season as well has been absolutely top drawer, especially as we've been missing the heartbeat of the side in Leon.

People being critical for us "lacking zip" etc when we've won all 3 games, conceeded one goal and just won a cup game after making 10 changes are, imho just criticising for critiscing sake.

How fluid do people realistically expect us to be at this stage of the season? Beggars belief.

Btw, the personal abuse you resorted to i.e. "bum pal" highlights the hypocrisy i mentioned in my previous post.

Grow up.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 12:18]
More Questions than Answers on 12:20 - Aug 27 with 778 views_

More Questions than Answers on 12:13 - Aug 27 by Catullus

Agreed, we can't keep playing like this and carry on winning, we have to improve the performance level.
Keep the levels high and the results should come too.

I didn't see Gylfi last night because my son was feeling ill so we had to leave early (half time early) but I'm told there wasn't much difference in the second half (by my mate who stayed) not even with the subs.
But Gylfi's role is fluid, he will wander around and that's why we need a good CDM, to plug gaps, read the game and break up attacks from those gaps.

Now for a good performance on Saturday and another 3 points, then we'll all be happy.

I agree - I think we need to be

4 - 1 - 3 - 1 -1

------------Fab-------------
Rangel - Fede - Ash - Taylor
--- Leon(new signing)----
Dyer - Ki/JJS(new signing)- Routs
------------- Siggy ----------
---------Gomis/Bony--------

More Questions than Answers on 12:22 - Aug 27 with 767 views_

More Questions than Answers on 12:15 - Aug 27 by NeathJack

Balanced? I like to think so
Perfect? Certainly not
Able to see straight through someone with an agenda? Absolutely

As for football related, I'm delighted with the way the season has started, the gradual way our excellent young manager is bedding the new players in and the clear added steel and desire in the teams play.

The progress to date and taking into account the end of last season as well has been absolutely top drawer, especially as we've been missing the heartbeat of the side in Leon.

People being critical for us "lacking zip" etc when we've won all 3 games, conceeded one goal and just won a cup game after making 10 changes are, imho just criticising for critiscing sake.

How fluid do people realistically expect us to be at this stage of the season? Beggars belief.

Btw, the personal abuse you resorted to i.e. "bum pal" highlights the hypocrisy i mentioned in my previous post.

Grow up.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 12:18]

Fack you...

So basically, everything's great and if it's not it's because we've got a new manager and it's a new season and there's nothing else of note.

We get it.... you're the best.

More Questions than Answers on 12:23 - Aug 27 with 763 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Great start ,yes .
Have we played better,yes.
Can we play better ,yes.

I can see where the OP is coming from ,some points are spot on .

Some are way off .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

More Questions than Answers on 12:24 - Aug 27 with 755 views_

More Questions than Answers on 12:23 - Aug 27 by oh_tommy_tommy

Great start ,yes .
Have we played better,yes.
Can we play better ,yes.

I can see where the OP is coming from ,some points are spot on .

Some are way off .

Cheers for bringing football back into the thread.

Which points are way off? Happy to hear...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024