Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Questions than Answers 23:54 - Aug 26 with 7360 views_

3 games played
Won 3 Drawn 0 Lost 0 For 4 Against 1

Pretty impressive stats, pretty impressive start.

But why doesn't it feel as good as it should?!

I don't want to start a negative thread here because the season is well and truly up and running and we've got a massive chance next Saturday of already stabbing through a big marker in the ground to be in this division next season - the main objective!!

Lots of positives tonight also; youngsters did themselves proud, Carroll looked classy, full backs solid and comfortable on the ball keeping possession, Jazz' best game in a Swans shirt in my opinion and a very classy acquisition in Fede MkII. Gomis also looks a solid buy and in fairness for a big lump has a real good touch and just seems to have that ability to drag the ball away from defenders and keep hold of the ball. In some ways it's a pity Bony is here at the same time as this boy would be our first and only starter - but that's one of those "nice" problems isn't it. Well I hope so.

I'm also happy with our wide men. Routs and Dyer are dyed in the wool Jacks by now and we know exactly what we're going to get; ok they won't always get everything right, but that's just the way it is, typically with a Swans player, but they're absolutely too class for us. Montero has come in and looks a live wire; he does seem to be the type of player that will do as much right as he will get wrong but when you think about our out and out chances tonight he was behind a big percentage of them.

I am a little worried however about the amount of zip and chances we create now. That to me, at this moment in time, is the clear difference between a Laudrup team and a Monk team. We need to create more "zip" in the middle of the park and get the ball in and around the box quicker feeding both our wingers a lot more than we are at the moment.

I am a little concerned with our middle of the park. I really don't want to see any more of Shelvey's Hollywood passes, at least not on such regularity. He needs to mix up his game a lot more and look for more zip, more one-twos and get a lot more energy about us in centre midfield. Ki can be fairly static too and to a lesser degree so is Siggy. I really thought Siggy would look a different class tonight for half hour but he just didn't.

I will look back at the best one half performance I've ever seen from the Swans and that was the absolute demolition of West Brom at home two seasons ago. We could do with having a little look at the style of play and tactics used in that game and look to employ that again, especially at home. We need more pace in the middle, we need more energy and as I keep saying "zip", something's not right with us in this department and if we don't get it right it could have a knock on effect for the next few months.

Onwards and Upwards.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

More Questions than Answers on 23:20 - Aug 27 with 623 viewsjackonicko

Sic semper tyrannis.

The tyrannis know who they are...
More Questions than Answers on 23:28 - Aug 27 with 607 views_

More Questions than Answers on 20:00 - Aug 27 by jackonicko

Anyway, back on thread (!), another question for answering:

If we agree that the Swans are not firing on all cylinders:

i) Are Swansea currently a team that is picking up points when playing 'badly', which is a good sign for the season ahead as we will only get better; or

ii) Do the 6 points actually paper over the cracks and that we're on for a tough season under a rookie manager.

In our first season in the Premier League, we didn't pick up 3 points (or even a goal!) for quite a few games, but the performances suggested things would pick up. And so it came to pass. You could argue that the 'performances' were better in that first season than the first two games this year. We played more 'the Swansea way'.

The optimist in me leans towards (i). A more robust defence so far this season, coupled with exciting attacking options in Bony, Gomis and Siggy, reinforces that optimism.

But 30+ years of being a Swans supporter (realist?) makes me fear (ii).

Well that's exactly what I've been musing over the last couple of weeks as I've tried to look into that crystal ball.

Hindsight will be a wonderful thing for some but I'm not after any points scoring or oneupmanship no matter what the nut house trio might think.

SCFC's misery is my facking misery, it's as balls out simple as that.

I am looking at us from many different angles; like you do when you've smoked one of Hollands finest, nit just through the gaps in my fingers.

Anything can happen from here on in, of course it can... Well anything apart from out and out sustained success in terms of winning more games than we'll lose but we're all Jacks, we all know that and accept it.

I am more worried about "the group" when things don't go so well and they won't... If Burnley had scored that effort that Fab superbly saved, or even worse had gone on and scored a winner also West Bromesque then we'd all be talking about very different scenarios.

I don't really buy into the fact we've suddenly developed an intrinsic ability to tough games out just because we're 6 out of 6. I also don't believe we've learned almost overnight that we can win now even when playing bad. That's easy to say now but the sample of 2 games is all too short.

No, we have to realise that it's more likely we won't get away with the second half v Burnley very often at all, and let's face it, we were left very much wanting in a few 2nd half performances end of last season.

The most wondrous thing of all is the fact that regardless of all of the above we have those 6 points in the bag and no one is going to take them off us.

But like I said before the hard work really needs to start now, or continue, as was mentioned in a come back to that from someone. Because getting to grips with the very obvious collapse against Burnley and doing something about it will add more credence to the views of being more capable of toughing games out or winning ugly.

Let's get the centre midfield in tune and zippy and the rest will click I think.

Over and out...
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 23:33]

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

More Questions than Answers on 23:32 - Aug 27 with 591 viewsDarran

More Questions than Answers on 23:28 - Aug 27 by _

Well that's exactly what I've been musing over the last couple of weeks as I've tried to look into that crystal ball.

Hindsight will be a wonderful thing for some but I'm not after any points scoring or oneupmanship no matter what the nut house trio might think.

SCFC's misery is my facking misery, it's as balls out simple as that.

I am looking at us from many different angles; like you do when you've smoked one of Hollands finest, nit just through the gaps in my fingers.

Anything can happen from here on in, of course it can... Well anything apart from out and out sustained success in terms of winning more games than we'll lose but we're all Jacks, we all know that and accept it.

I am more worried about "the group" when things don't go so well and they won't... If Burnley had scored that effort that Fab superbly saved, or even worse had gone on and scored a winner also West Bromesque then we'd all be talking about very different scenarios.

I don't really buy into the fact we've suddenly developed an intrinsic ability to tough games out just because we're 6 out of 6. I also don't believe we've learned almost overnight that we can win now even when playing bad. That's easy to say now but the sample of 2 games is all too short.

No, we have to realise that it's more likely we won't get away with the second half v Burnley very often at all, and let's face it, we were left very much wanting in a few 2nd half performances end of last season.

The most wondrous thing of all is the fact that regardless of all of the above we have those 6 points in the bag and no one is going to take them off us.

But like I said before the hard work really needs to start now, or continue, as was mentioned in a come back to that from someone. Because getting to grips with the very obvious collapse against Burnley and doing something about it will add more credence to the views of being more capable of toughing games out or winning ugly.

Let's get the centre midfield in tune and zippy and the rest will click I think.

Over and out...
[Post edited 27 Aug 2014 23:33]

What if Bony had scored that header that hit the post?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

More Questions than Answers on 23:36 - Aug 27 with 583 views_

More Questions than Answers on 23:32 - Aug 27 by Darran

What if Bony had scored that header that hit the post?

It was saved off the line wasn't it? But you're right...well to a certain degree. What if Siggy's shot had gone in as well?

The problem is in the second half we were just completely under the cosh and had no comeback to it. We did have one half chance when Ki skied over but sorry, Teabag, but that was all too little compared to the possession and territory they were enjoying.

More Questions than Answers on 23:41 - Aug 27 with 574 viewsDarran

More Questions than Answers on 23:36 - Aug 27 by _

It was saved off the line wasn't it? But you're right...well to a certain degree. What if Siggy's shot had gone in as well?

The problem is in the second half we were just completely under the cosh and had no comeback to it. We did have one half chance when Ki skied over but sorry, Teabag, but that was all too little compared to the possession and territory they were enjoying.

Or if we'd played the second half first.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

More Questions than Answers on 01:27 - Aug 28 with 524 viewsLiberty

More Questions than Answers on 18:01 - Aug 27 by Darran

Will every posters full name or photo be posted on the site ? Just curious

as long as its not done by the Mods............oh.

Think that anonymity is in no way guaranteed should be part of the sign in.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

More Questions than Answers on 02:27 - Aug 28 with 510 viewsDavillin

More Questions than Answers on 23:11 - Aug 27 by _

I'm sorry but that post is facking hilarious.... Who wrote that?

Yankee Doodle strudel - genius mun!!!

Oh....it was me.

Tone, calm down dude, don't get so caught up in all this....

*Insert pretentious Latin bollox here*

Get help because you are genuinely and seriously ill.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

More Questions than Answers on 06:34 - Aug 28 with 484 viewsDr_Winston

Wasn't overly fussed with the "we knew Burnley would throw everything at us" stuff. I'd rather a newly promoted side who we were playing at home be more concerned about what we're going to throw at them.

Still, get the midfield sorted (Ki or Shelvey. Not both) and things should be easier.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

More Questions than Answers on 11:45 - Aug 28 with 411 views_

More Questions than Answers on 06:34 - Aug 28 by Dr_Winston

Wasn't overly fussed with the "we knew Burnley would throw everything at us" stuff. I'd rather a newly promoted side who we were playing at home be more concerned about what we're going to throw at them.

Still, get the midfield sorted (Ki or Shelvey. Not both) and things should be easier.

I still vehemently stand by his insecure comments to the press/media.

He just can't help, almost in every sentence, mention himself.

"I know the boys will fight it out..... because that's what i'm like"
"i know they will give 100%.... because that's the type of player I was"

It sounds awful and he would be so much better served earning the respect and praise rather than feel he needs to be acknowledging himself all the time.

Please let's not drag this out thinking it's a Monk bashing. It's not. It's just "still" an observation and i'm allowed that, we all are.

More Questions than Answers on 22:36 - Aug 29 with 328 viewsbluenile

More Questions than Answers on 11:45 - Aug 28 by _

I still vehemently stand by his insecure comments to the press/media.

He just can't help, almost in every sentence, mention himself.

"I know the boys will fight it out..... because that's what i'm like"
"i know they will give 100%.... because that's the type of player I was"

It sounds awful and he would be so much better served earning the respect and praise rather than feel he needs to be acknowledging himself all the time.

Please let's not drag this out thinking it's a Monk bashing. It's not. It's just "still" an observation and i'm allowed that, we all are.

"He just can't help, almost in every sentence, mention himself. "

You need to find the nearest mirror.....................

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024