Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only in America 07:19 - Aug 28 with 5019 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28948946

9 years old, FFS, what is it with these Americans?

Sorry if a Les
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 7:21]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Only in America on 14:49 - Aug 28 with 858 viewslifelong

I've spent a bit of time in America and, yes, it is a great place to visit but there's no getting away from the fact that in the region of 12,000 people are killed, annually there, by firearms.

Surely that's totally unacceptable?
Only in America on 15:12 - Aug 28 with 831 views_

Only in America on 13:16 - Aug 28 by Darran

I agree I know lots of wonderful Americans.
The generalisation is quite simply wrong.

I know one.

Complete plonker. Pretentious, condescending and up his own fat ass.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Only in America on 15:15 - Aug 28 with 831 viewsDarran

Only in America on 15:12 - Aug 28 by _

I know one.

That's not bad one out of 320million.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Only in America on 15:17 - Aug 28 with 828 viewsStarsky

Only in America on 15:15 - Aug 28 by Darran

Or they're bad shots

It's just the internet, init.

Only in America on 16:35 - Aug 28 with 795 viewsperchrockjack

No rog, nobody is saying it's alright, just addressing the statement America/ns are all terrorists

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Only in America on 16:50 - Aug 28 with 783 viewsMillJack

Only in America on 16:35 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

No rog, nobody is saying it's alright, just addressing the statement America/ns are all terrorists

Are all Muslims terrorists?
Only in America on 16:59 - Aug 28 with 778 viewsLohengrin

Only in America on 14:36 - Aug 28 by llangyfelach

Oh aye, mush????!!!!!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Only in America on 17:24 - Aug 28 with 764 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 15:15 - Aug 28 by Darran

Darran:

He's referring to me, based on the amount of time he and I have spent together, I guess.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Login to get fewer ads

Only in America on 17:28 - Aug 28 with 756 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 15:12 - Aug 28 by _

I know one.

You don't know me, worm [thank God], and if you did, I'd probably have to consider suicide as the only way to cleanse myself of the infectious filth it would have left on me.

Only in America on 17:30 - Aug 28 with 752 viewsDarran

Only in America on 17:24 - Aug 28 by Davillin

Darran:

He's referring to me, based on the amount of time he and I have spent together, I guess.

Yeah I guessed that.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Only in America on 17:31 - Aug 28 with 752 viewsperchrockjack

Know. ..? Let's face it we can be whatever we want to be on here so to even think anyone knows anyone ,without having met them, is lunacy.

In this case ,it's understandable though .

Only in America on 17:42 - Aug 28 with 745 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 17:31 - Aug 28 by perchrockjack

Know. ..? Let's face it we can be whatever we want to be on here so to even think anyone knows anyone ,without having met them, is lunacy.

In this case ,it's understandable though .

Perchrockjack:

You are precisely right!

Over the years that I have been visiting Wales, I have met a goodly number of people who post on here, in addition to many Swansea supporters not posting on here, and to a man and woman, I like and respect them deeply.

And every time I met one, I was eager to do so, and felt fully justified and rewarded for it.

I'm looking forward to meeting you. And quite a number of others, as well; and most of whom know who they are.

Only in America on 17:49 - Aug 28 with 739 viewsphact0rri

Only in America on 14:24 - Aug 28 by Lohengrin

I've been travelling back and forth to The US, mainly the Mid and Deep South for the last thirty years and I've yet to see a gun, aside from on a policeman's belt, or a religious fanatic. Perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough?

Definately not looking hard enough, or you may have been in largely urban areas. I've lived in the south of the US before, I went to university in Tennessee, and I lived in Kentucky. I use to play shows in Missouri, and in Georgia. I have family in Indiana as well as some in Ohio. And though the big cities like say a Nashville, or an Atlanta doesn't have loads of unconsealed weapons, I've seen loads of them in the more rural areas. My mother who is American (part of why I have a dual citizenship which is a long story in and of itself) has family with farms and things out in the midwest and had an uncle who taught me to shoot pretty much right off the boat from the UK, when I was about ten or eleven going to meet family I never had. "oh howdy, youse a boy and part of the family... here's a semi automatic hand gun, how about we shoot some cans?

I do find however that, americans are all violent psychopaths who love guns is pretty much a sweeping generalization. I've talked about this before, on here. The guns debate, and how it looks from this side of the pond. About how not everyone agrees with it. But where there are plenty of activists fighting for more gun control, there's a lot more money coming from the traditionalist and rural areas of the political landscape. That make it a lot more difficult. There's a lot more uninformed closed minded people in the states than there are those who believe the country can be a stronger and more intrinsic in the way of the original idea of what the US is -SUPPOSED- to be. However there's a lot of complications, and I think a lot of them do infact have to do with freedoms everyone wants and that invisible caste system has been so threatened people are fighting tooth and nail to keep things as close to how they are traditionally have been.

But the terrorist thing, does bother me if I'm being honest. mainly because the US government is happy to label anyone that breaths in the wrong direction as "possible terrorist", so they are pretty much in line with what everyone here believes with us being a nation of terrorists. :)

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Only in America on 17:52 - Aug 28 with 732 viewsperchrockjack

Very fair post ,a great one in fact

Only in America on 17:52 - Aug 28 with 732 viewsThursday

What a terrible event, set in motion by idiotic parents. What a tragedy for someone to lose their life at work, and for a child who must grow up afflicted with horror.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 17:53]
Only in America on 17:59 - Aug 28 with 716 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 17:49 - Aug 28 by phact0rri

Definately not looking hard enough, or you may have been in largely urban areas. I've lived in the south of the US before, I went to university in Tennessee, and I lived in Kentucky. I use to play shows in Missouri, and in Georgia. I have family in Indiana as well as some in Ohio. And though the big cities like say a Nashville, or an Atlanta doesn't have loads of unconsealed weapons, I've seen loads of them in the more rural areas. My mother who is American (part of why I have a dual citizenship which is a long story in and of itself) has family with farms and things out in the midwest and had an uncle who taught me to shoot pretty much right off the boat from the UK, when I was about ten or eleven going to meet family I never had. "oh howdy, youse a boy and part of the family... here's a semi automatic hand gun, how about we shoot some cans?

I do find however that, americans are all violent psychopaths who love guns is pretty much a sweeping generalization. I've talked about this before, on here. The guns debate, and how it looks from this side of the pond. About how not everyone agrees with it. But where there are plenty of activists fighting for more gun control, there's a lot more money coming from the traditionalist and rural areas of the political landscape. That make it a lot more difficult. There's a lot more uninformed closed minded people in the states than there are those who believe the country can be a stronger and more intrinsic in the way of the original idea of what the US is -SUPPOSED- to be. However there's a lot of complications, and I think a lot of them do infact have to do with freedoms everyone wants and that invisible caste system has been so threatened people are fighting tooth and nail to keep things as close to how they are traditionally have been.

But the terrorist thing, does bother me if I'm being honest. mainly because the US government is happy to label anyone that breaths in the wrong direction as "possible terrorist", so they are pretty much in line with what everyone here believes with us being a nation of terrorists. :)

In an otherwise rational analysis [with most of which I do not agree, but nonetheless rational], you called me a "violent psychopath."

Thanks.

Far, far more important! What your analysis failed to do is to even hint at the reason why we who respect the Second Amendment do so, and why it was included, and pointedly as the second one. And why we believe that it is needed now at least as much as it was needed when it was adopted by all of the new states.

Without that, all your reasonableness is wasted and smacks of uninformed bias.

Only in America on 18:06 - Aug 28 with 714 viewskeeponrockin

Only in America on 08:55 - Aug 28 by epaul

America the land of the free and all that shoite, yay own a gun, let a 9 year old fire a sub machine gun. F*ck em deserve all they get. Biggest terrorists in the world

'Pakistan the land of the free and all that shoite, yay own a gun, let a 9 year old fire a sub machine gun. F*ck em deserve all they get. Biggest terrorists in the world'

One word difference - how would you feel about someone writing that?
Only in America on 18:07 - Aug 28 with 712 viewsepaul

Ok, ok, perhaps I should have been more defined in what I said the yank govt are the biggest terrorist, over half a million killed in the middle east by them. Of course there are some decent yanks out there duh goes with out saying.

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Only in America on 18:13 - Aug 28 with 702 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 14:49 - Aug 28 by lifelong

I've spent a bit of time in America and, yes, it is a great place to visit but there's no getting away from the fact that in the region of 12,000 people are killed, annually there, by firearms.

Surely that's totally unacceptable?

All respectfully!

1. It is always considerate to post a citation when offering such specific information.

2. In all of your visits to the United States, how many killing have you witnessed? How many shootings? How many people carrying guns not in a shop for sale, or a policeman?

I've lived here for 77 years. My answer to the above three questions: none, none, and only fellow hunters.

Only in America on 18:17 - Aug 28 with 700 viewsphact0rri

Only in America on 17:59 - Aug 28 by Davillin

In an otherwise rational analysis [with most of which I do not agree, but nonetheless rational], you called me a "violent psychopath."

Thanks.

Far, far more important! What your analysis failed to do is to even hint at the reason why we who respect the Second Amendment do so, and why it was included, and pointedly as the second one. And why we believe that it is needed now at least as much as it was needed when it was adopted by all of the new states.

Without that, all your reasonableness is wasted and smacks of uninformed bias.

Well I can only tell you what I've been told. "So we can rebel if the government goes into tyranny" is all I hear. The house security, and the hunting bits mixed in. Honestly, there are levels to gun-sexuals as one of my mates fondly calls the open-carry folks. But I will say a lot of those NRA folks and such do honestly frighten me.

I don't believe in a full on suspension of the second amendment. I believe in tough gun control laws. Not this, gun-show clause, and wait 48 hours business. I think that there should be mandatory training and limits to the amount of ammunition and one person can legally possess. I believe for a ban of military grade firearms.

No offense meant on your psychotic nature though Dav. And if you can explain it to me, why you feel the need for unfiltered access to weapons, I'm happy to listen. :))

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Only in America on 18:18 - Aug 28 with 695 viewsjackonicko

Only in America on 13:30 - Aug 28 by ApeShit

American isn't a race.

Dutch is, though. Ask Phil.
Only in America on 18:26 - Aug 28 with 682 viewsjackonicko

Only in America on 18:13 - Aug 28 by Davillin

All respectfully!

1. It is always considerate to post a citation when offering such specific information.

2. In all of your visits to the United States, how many killing have you witnessed? How many shootings? How many people carrying guns not in a shop for sale, or a policeman?

I've lived here for 77 years. My answer to the above three questions: none, none, and only fellow hunters.

I've visited the States a lot. Probably well in excess of 50 trips and some long stays in that time. Including to your very state, Dav (I have some friends who live close to the border with DE).

In that time, I've seen one shooting in New jersey, but I don't think they died. I also heard another shooting very near to me (in Washington DC), which was reported in the media the next morning. I've also heard plenty of relatively close-by gun fire when staying in Wilmington, DE. I can only presume that you are either not that close to the DE border, or you've sensibly stayed away from Wilmington! Otherwise, you've had a sheltered life!

I've also seen plenty of guns carried other than in a shop or by a policeman. My imminent father in law has about 50 different weapons, including a number of semi automatic (assault) rifles and various pistols. He is also a licenced, concealed carrier in certain states and isn't afraid to exercise that particular constitutional right.

He also has a grenade launcher.

I don't ever want to get in a row with him, and I'd never say it to his face (!), but in my view that is completely nuts!
Only in America on 18:32 - Aug 28 with 673 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 18:17 - Aug 28 by phact0rri

Well I can only tell you what I've been told. "So we can rebel if the government goes into tyranny" is all I hear. The house security, and the hunting bits mixed in. Honestly, there are levels to gun-sexuals as one of my mates fondly calls the open-carry folks. But I will say a lot of those NRA folks and such do honestly frighten me.

I don't believe in a full on suspension of the second amendment. I believe in tough gun control laws. Not this, gun-show clause, and wait 48 hours business. I think that there should be mandatory training and limits to the amount of ammunition and one person can legally possess. I believe for a ban of military grade firearms.

No offense meant on your psychotic nature though Dav. And if you can explain it to me, why you feel the need for unfiltered access to weapons, I'm happy to listen. :))

Still respectfully.

Well, now. I am genuinely surprised that you would be interested in hearing my views on "unfiltered access to weapons," given that I am a "violent psychopath," and now also one of "those NRA folks [who] do honestly frighten [you]."

Please reconsider your suggestion/request, or assure me that you will receive and consider my response with a fully open mind. Considering your hopefully inadvertent inclusion of me in those nefarious categories, and most of the attitudes you have endorsed in these two posts, I have to have serious doubts that that objectivity will happen.

p.s. Do you mean "unfettered access"?

Only in America on 19:27 - Aug 28 with 639 viewsHighjack

Fact is that there are countless millions of sensible gun owners in America who go through life without killing anyone.

But there are far too many of these massacres where some nutjob snaps and goes nuts in a school or cinema with a fully automatic that can fire off 1000+ rounds per minute. Without access to serious destructive hardware many more lives would be saved.

My opinion is that America has to come to a compromise and meet somewhere in the middle, keep their right to bear arms but tighten up on the whole military grade stuff.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Only in America on 19:32 - Aug 28 with 631 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 18:26 - Aug 28 by jackonicko

I've visited the States a lot. Probably well in excess of 50 trips and some long stays in that time. Including to your very state, Dav (I have some friends who live close to the border with DE).

In that time, I've seen one shooting in New jersey, but I don't think they died. I also heard another shooting very near to me (in Washington DC), which was reported in the media the next morning. I've also heard plenty of relatively close-by gun fire when staying in Wilmington, DE. I can only presume that you are either not that close to the DE border, or you've sensibly stayed away from Wilmington! Otherwise, you've had a sheltered life!

I've also seen plenty of guns carried other than in a shop or by a policeman. My imminent father in law has about 50 different weapons, including a number of semi automatic (assault) rifles and various pistols. He is also a licenced, concealed carrier in certain states and isn't afraid to exercise that particular constitutional right.

He also has a grenade launcher.

I don't ever want to get in a row with him, and I'd never say it to his face (!), but in my view that is completely nuts!

Although I addressed my reply to Lifelong, I appreciate that you answered it.

Still respectfully!

Who the hell did you run with when you were over here? Did their last names all end in vowels, as my family's used to end?

Or were you on temporary duty with one or more law enforcement agencies?

As you might suspect, I have traveled fairly widely in my adult life, including New Jersey and Delaware [both unavoidable for a Pennsylvanian], and my clean record remained intact.

From my lifelong acquaintance with firearms, including some in the military, I can distinguish most of the different kinds and calibres. Out of completely respectful curiosity, how much experience with firearms are you willing to admit to? [PM me if you want to, to continue.]

I'm not going to keep repeating that I'm being respectful, and I ask that you understand that. I have no need to be disrespectful to you.

When you use the expression "semi-automatic (assault) rifles," you are using a "hot button" expression -- actually THE hot button expression of the people and groups who wish to take guns from law-abiding people.

To someone who understands firearms and wishes to be accurate, there are semi-automatic weapons, and there are assault weapons. They are not one and the same. Sadly, some of the most virulent anti-gun people are also the most ill-informed.

p.s. I'd worry more about your "imminent father-in-law" if he had grenades. ;-)

Now I'll have to tell Lifelong that by implicaton he can add "completely nuts" to his characterizations of me. The list grows.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024