Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only in America 07:19 - Aug 28 with 5021 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28948946

9 years old, FFS, what is it with these Americans?

Sorry if a Les
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 7:21]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Only in America on 05:01 - Aug 29 with 773 viewsDJack

Only in America on 12:07 - Aug 28 by jackb

it's all based on a misspelling of course. The day the constitution was drawn up was a hot, sultry day and they just wanted to specify that it was Ok to roll your sleeves up. It should have been "the right to bare arms". That's how important spelling is!

Are you sure it wasn't the "right to arm bears"

(Robin Williams, late 20th century)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Only in America (n/t) on 06:24 - Aug 29 with 766 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Only in America on 05:01 - Aug 29 by DJack

Are you sure it wasn't the "right to arm bears"

(Robin Williams, late 20th century)

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Only in America on 10:00 - Aug 29 with 716 viewsperchrockjack

Luckier to live in NZ as there s not that many people to shoot really

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Only in America on 10:02 - Aug 29 with 713 viewsSwansNZ

Only in America on 10:00 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Luckier to live in NZ as there s not that many people to shoot really

Except that the sheep are allowed to baa arms.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Only in America on 10:33 - Aug 29 with 706 viewsperchrockjack

lol.

Hope the feckers have a since of humour as my son and partner will be having their honeymoon in NZ. week in both islands.

Bridlington not fookn good enough for them

Only in America on 15:11 - Aug 29 with 679 viewsBanosswan

Only in America on 00:03 - Aug 29 by Davillin

O.K., a couple of responses.

"A country" did not allow a 9-year old to shoot a fully automatic weapon," a parent did. And an "instructor" unworthy of the title or respect. I am truly and genuinely sad that he died.

I never heard of an instructor allowing a 9-year old, or anyone not an adult, to use an automatic weapon until this one, so the "country" can't be blamed any more than a country can be blamed when a teenager rams a car head-on into a truck. "A country" takes reasonable care to prevent accidents of all kinds. No government can legislate against abject "stupidity," however.

I have been in my share of shooting ranges and they all have been posted requiring age-limited users.

Of course, the country is "America," and any gun accident will be blamed on "America." N.B. I'm not any more biased on this than those who need to blame "America."

The reason I have been saying "respectfully" is because I have been repeatedly criticized (criticised if it helps you) for all kinds of imagined "attitudes" because of my language, and I have become tired of it.

I will follow your advice about that from this post on, and take my chances. Thank you for your appropriate and gentlemanly advice. [Can I say "gentlemanly"?]

I will allow gentlemanly

Wtf was I drinking last Night!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Only in America on 15:39 - Aug 29 with 675 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 00:33 - Aug 29 by lifelong

I didn't answer your thread Dav simply because there's not much point. We're just going over the same old ground repeatedly, with all due respect you seem to be in denial that a firearm problem exists in the US.

I remember about 3 years ago when the shooting in Arizona took place the same arguments ensued then. There are numerous sources of statistics regarding the amount of American citizens killed by firearms, I was reading one recently which stated that in 2011 over 8500 American were murdered by the use of firearms. That's just an incredible statistic and by way of some sort of comparison, in Japan in the same year, who have a very strict gun control policy, the total amount of people killed by firearms amounted to 7.

By the way, I don't think you're completely nuts, nuts maybe but not completely.

Thanks, Lifelong.

I won't prolong this. I'm not in the least "in denial." Please don't be offended by this, but no-one not an informed American can fully appreciate the depth of the problem, or where its tentacles reach. This thread hasn't even scratched the surface -- no thread on this site that I have read has, really.

There are statistics out there that show that the great majority of deaths from gunfire are those using illegally-owned guns, gang-related and drugs-related mostly.

Your comments about my sanity are deeply appreciated, even though I'm assuming you're not a certified psychiatrist. It's far more than I've received yet on here.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Only in America on 16:16 - Aug 29 with 664 viewsJackSomething

Only in America on 15:39 - Aug 29 by Davillin

Thanks, Lifelong.

I won't prolong this. I'm not in the least "in denial." Please don't be offended by this, but no-one not an informed American can fully appreciate the depth of the problem, or where its tentacles reach. This thread hasn't even scratched the surface -- no thread on this site that I have read has, really.

There are statistics out there that show that the great majority of deaths from gunfire are those using illegally-owned guns, gang-related and drugs-related mostly.

Your comments about my sanity are deeply appreciated, even though I'm assuming you're not a certified psychiatrist. It's far more than I've received yet on here.

As a non-American, I'm obviously just guessing here, but I'd think it's far easier to get your hands on a illegal gun in the USA due to the relaxed gun laws and amount of guns in existence. Maybe that has something to do with how many people are killed by guns?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Login to get fewer ads

Only in America on 16:20 - Aug 29 with 662 viewsperchrockjack

js.
Trust me, I could get my hands on a firearm within 30 mins.

In Liverpool, any kid of 14 can obtain a gun or most description within 15 minutes.

Frightening is they know how to use them.

Not just in America, which is my point. Anyway, have we had a spat today?

Only in America on 16:41 - Aug 29 with 657 viewsDavillin

Only in America on 16:16 - Aug 29 by JackSomething

As a non-American, I'm obviously just guessing here, but I'd think it's far easier to get your hands on a illegal gun in the USA due to the relaxed gun laws and amount of guns in existence. Maybe that has something to do with how many people are killed by guns?

Much sense in your post, thanks.

Although the U.S. federal government is desperately trying to get complete control of all guns, the states still maintain primary control, and states differ in all kinds of laws.

In Pennsylvania, for example, to purchase a firearm legally, I must prove my identity, provide detailed personal information, submit to a nation-wide criminal background check, and register the firearm. In addition, the law prohibits sales to a range of person-types.

I suppose that one could consider anything less than complete confiscation and absolute prohibition of firearms "relaxed gun laws." I'm sure that you understand, but forgive me for saying it anyway, that there are many over here who believe just that.

The number of guns doesn't kill people. Irrational people and people under great stress kill people. I have owned firearms all of my adult life, as have virtually all of my family, friends, and neighbors, but none of us have killed anybody.

p.s. edit. One of the plaintive cries ignored by some legislators and almost all anti-gun people is for the government to enforce the laws already on the books, which, you might be surprised to know, but shouldn't be, the U.S. federal government does not do.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 21:56]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Only in America on 21:53 - Aug 29 with 601 viewsjackb

Only in America on 16:41 - Aug 29 by Davillin

Much sense in your post, thanks.

Although the U.S. federal government is desperately trying to get complete control of all guns, the states still maintain primary control, and states differ in all kinds of laws.

In Pennsylvania, for example, to purchase a firearm legally, I must prove my identity, provide detailed personal information, submit to a nation-wide criminal background check, and register the firearm. In addition, the law prohibits sales to a range of person-types.

I suppose that one could consider anything less than complete confiscation and absolute prohibition of firearms "relaxed gun laws." I'm sure that you understand, but forgive me for saying it anyway, that there are many over here who believe just that.

The number of guns doesn't kill people. Irrational people and people under great stress kill people. I have owned firearms all of my adult life, as have virtually all of my family, friends, and neighbors, but none of us have killed anybody.

p.s. edit. One of the plaintive cries ignored by some legislators and almost all anti-gun people is for the government to enforce the laws already on the books, which, you might be surprised to know, but shouldn't be, the U.S. federal government does not do.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 21:56]

And the more guns there are, the more likely it is that a stressed, irrational, disturbed individual will get hold of one

How any sane rational person can defend such a ridiculous aspect of a society is beyond me
Only in America on 22:16 - Aug 29 with 586 viewsdickythorpe

Only in America on 16:20 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

js.
Trust me, I could get my hands on a firearm within 30 mins.

In Liverpool, any kid of 14 can obtain a gun or most description within 15 minutes.

Frightening is they know how to use them.

Not just in America, which is my point. Anyway, have we had a spat today?

Perch that is staggering if true. Ever thought of helping out your ex-employers by going undercover?

I would probably be able to get hold of "stuff" but might have my head kicked in for asking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024