Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mason-Dixon Line 17:36 - Aug 28 with 2473 viewsperchrockjack

Is this still relevant dav and do the old southern values start in Maryland.

Is penn that different from the state immediately to the south of this line which I'd have thought evokes memories from way back.

I believe the line has geographical features,eg Potomac river

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:09 - Aug 28 with 2001 viewsphact0rri

Its more of a cultural boundary anymore, as far as people talk and deal with it. The idea of pennsylvania being above it is actually not geologically motivated, it was due to the abolishment of slavery to join up with the north. Funnily it was still under the Charles II charter.

Maryland, really doesn't feel all that southern (unless you count Washington DC). But Baltimore, MD feels more like Philadelphia, PA than it does Atlanta, GA IMHO. really in an actual culture thinking, the 40th Parallel/Mason Dixie Line is more of an old bit of history than it is actually adherent to any bit of culture. The Virginas are the start of the south at the east coast to me.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:11 - Aug 28 with 1996 viewsTummer_from_Texas

You don't start hearing southern accents until you get south of Northern Virginia.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Mason-Dixon Line on 16:18 - Aug 29 with 1926 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks.Interesting when Ive been in Florida both coasts that there is no or little southern drawl and this in the most southerly state so its clearly cultural.

We did meet a couple on the beach in Naples once and within 2 mins he gave me his life history, his salary and how nigras should be friend. He was from Mobile ,Ala and when I said "oh yeah" that s in the old Chuck BERRY classic his eyes glazed over. Frankly It didn't make me feel like going anywhere near the PANHANDLE

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:07 - Aug 29 with 1908 viewsLohengrin

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:09 - Aug 28 by phact0rri

Its more of a cultural boundary anymore, as far as people talk and deal with it. The idea of pennsylvania being above it is actually not geologically motivated, it was due to the abolishment of slavery to join up with the north. Funnily it was still under the Charles II charter.

Maryland, really doesn't feel all that southern (unless you count Washington DC). But Baltimore, MD feels more like Philadelphia, PA than it does Atlanta, GA IMHO. really in an actual culture thinking, the 40th Parallel/Mason Dixie Line is more of an old bit of history than it is actually adherent to any bit of culture. The Virginas are the start of the south at the east coast to me.

Atlanta is the anti-South. It's as if a northern metropolis has been lifted up and just dropped in Georgia. It's all a bit surreal.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:17 - Aug 29 with 1898 viewsphact0rri

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:07 - Aug 29 by Lohengrin

Atlanta is the anti-South. It's as if a northern metropolis has been lifted up and just dropped in Georgia. It's all a bit surreal.

guess it depends on your thoughts of the south and what your looking at. but it seems culturally south even though it has a more urban beat. There's a few southern cities like that I've seen. Never was a fan of that dynamic. And Atlanta has this sort of negative vibe that always bothered me when we played there.

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:28 - Aug 29 with 1892 viewsLohengrin

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:17 - Aug 29 by phact0rri

guess it depends on your thoughts of the south and what your looking at. but it seems culturally south even though it has a more urban beat. There's a few southern cities like that I've seen. Never was a fan of that dynamic. And Atlanta has this sort of negative vibe that always bothered me when we played there.

Played? Are you talking about sport or are you in a band?

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:44 - Aug 29 with 1883 viewsphact0rri

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:28 - Aug 29 by Lohengrin

Played? Are you talking about sport or are you in a band?

I'm in between bands at the moment :) but yeah a few of the bands I played with when I was at the University of Tennessee use to go there a lot. St. Louis a lot too.

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:50 - Aug 29 with 1878 viewsperchrockjack

what stuff do you play phac.
Im Ry Cooder,Neil Young,SprinGsteen,Melloncamp,Hank,Foos,Petty, kinda guy

Login to get fewer ads

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:06 - Aug 29 with 1874 viewsLohengrin

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:50 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

what stuff do you play phac.
Im Ry Cooder,Neil Young,SprinGsteen,Melloncamp,Hank,Foos,Petty, kinda guy

Tut, Tut Perch. Hank's in a league of his own, don't go lumping him in with lesser mortals!

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:09 - Aug 29 with 1870 viewsLohengrin

Here's a couple for a Friday night, Perch...

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:11 - Aug 29 with 1868 viewsLohengrin

And a third, what the Hell. Seeing as we're southbound here's one from Austin.

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:14 - Aug 29 with 1863 viewsLohengrin

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:15 - Aug 29 with 1861 viewsDavillin

Comparing Pennsylvania with the states around it is most difficult, while being very easy.

Pennsylvania is so very diverse in several ways that it becomes hard to answer your question with specificity.

Geographically, flat lands south of the mountains, the mountains, and then forests for miles on end north of that.

Demographically, two large cities and several medium-sized cities, lots of small ones, and then farmland, small towns and villages, and forests for miles on end. ;-)

Culturally, several areas with strong ethnic foundations. The Welsh in northeastern Pennsylvania, Germans [Pennsylvanishe Deutche (spelling?)] across the eastern midsection, Eastern Europeans and Italians through the coal regions, etc.

Economically very diverse -- depressed Philadelphia alongside very wealthy suburbs, previously very strong coal- and steel-producing areas (primarily Pittsburgh and environs) still working their way back. vast areas of farmland including several large areas of Amish and Mennonite farms, etc. You see.

You might have seen me post before that there is no real "America" or, to be more accurate, no "American Culture," because the same diversity I lightly described above for Pennsylvania applies to every state to one degree or another.

To get closer to your question. On any road or highway leading from Pennsylvania to any of the states bordering to the south, there would be no way to know when you've moved from one to the other. What's interesting, depending on which of the highways/roads you took, you could move between cities, farmland, industrial areas, coal regions, etc.

Closer. The Mason-Dixon line once had huge significance, but I doubt that many people today have heard of it, fewer who know what it meant, and were it not for road markers even fewer where it was.

I was first stationed in the South in the mid-1950s, and lived in Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. So much has happened in the past 60 years that few even remember how it was.

I won't bother you with very revealing stories of what it was like 60 years ago, but will tell you it is massively different. When I was there, all drinking fountains were racially-segregated; all public facilities such as restaurants, hotels, and public transportation, were racially segregated [even churches!]; schools were segregated; and more. Poverty was apparent everywhere. I'm almost ashamed to admit that all of this was eye-poppingly shocking to me.

What you need to know is that in some places in "the North," you could find the same things albeit in dramatically fewer numbers.

Lohengrin actually knows far more about the modern South than I do, and he will tell you that it's mostly not "The Old South" anymore, but "The New South." The beauty of it is that if you stay off the beaten paths [read "touristy places:], as he routinely does, you can still find The Old South, or at least what remains of it.

I hope he'll join this thread.

Finally, "The Mason-Dixon Line" is just a phrase anymore. People of my generation, who still studied History for its intrinsic value and not, as today, as a tool of social and political indoctrination, knew exactly what the Mason-Dixon Line was, where it was, and what it meant. No longer.

Contrary to some people who are called "race-baiters" over here, the U.S. is far more advanced in every way that it was -- just in my memory.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Mason-Dixon Line on 20:33 - Aug 29 with 1812 viewsperchrockjack

Great stuff. Restores faith in humanity

Mason-Dixon Line on 21:51 - Aug 29 with 1790 viewsphact0rri

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:06 - Aug 29 by Lohengrin

Tut, Tut Perch. Hank's in a league of his own, don't go lumping him in with lesser mortals!

Different sorts of things. Primarily I've found myself in punk bands for the most part which isn't where my attention musically have ever found me. I do a fair shake of industrial/synth type bands in LA mostly doing keyboards and guitar backing.

I've got a lot of experience from education in jazz and country and western, but I don't play that out a lot. I've always wanted to try to sit with some rocka-billy bands.

Mason-Dixon Line on 22:46 - Aug 29 with 1768 viewsdiafolswan

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:15 - Aug 29 by Davillin

Comparing Pennsylvania with the states around it is most difficult, while being very easy.

Pennsylvania is so very diverse in several ways that it becomes hard to answer your question with specificity.

Geographically, flat lands south of the mountains, the mountains, and then forests for miles on end north of that.

Demographically, two large cities and several medium-sized cities, lots of small ones, and then farmland, small towns and villages, and forests for miles on end. ;-)

Culturally, several areas with strong ethnic foundations. The Welsh in northeastern Pennsylvania, Germans [Pennsylvanishe Deutche (spelling?)] across the eastern midsection, Eastern Europeans and Italians through the coal regions, etc.

Economically very diverse -- depressed Philadelphia alongside very wealthy suburbs, previously very strong coal- and steel-producing areas (primarily Pittsburgh and environs) still working their way back. vast areas of farmland including several large areas of Amish and Mennonite farms, etc. You see.

You might have seen me post before that there is no real "America" or, to be more accurate, no "American Culture," because the same diversity I lightly described above for Pennsylvania applies to every state to one degree or another.

To get closer to your question. On any road or highway leading from Pennsylvania to any of the states bordering to the south, there would be no way to know when you've moved from one to the other. What's interesting, depending on which of the highways/roads you took, you could move between cities, farmland, industrial areas, coal regions, etc.

Closer. The Mason-Dixon line once had huge significance, but I doubt that many people today have heard of it, fewer who know what it meant, and were it not for road markers even fewer where it was.

I was first stationed in the South in the mid-1950s, and lived in Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. So much has happened in the past 60 years that few even remember how it was.

I won't bother you with very revealing stories of what it was like 60 years ago, but will tell you it is massively different. When I was there, all drinking fountains were racially-segregated; all public facilities such as restaurants, hotels, and public transportation, were racially segregated [even churches!]; schools were segregated; and more. Poverty was apparent everywhere. I'm almost ashamed to admit that all of this was eye-poppingly shocking to me.

What you need to know is that in some places in "the North," you could find the same things albeit in dramatically fewer numbers.

Lohengrin actually knows far more about the modern South than I do, and he will tell you that it's mostly not "The Old South" anymore, but "The New South." The beauty of it is that if you stay off the beaten paths [read "touristy places:], as he routinely does, you can still find The Old South, or at least what remains of it.

I hope he'll join this thread.

Finally, "The Mason-Dixon Line" is just a phrase anymore. People of my generation, who still studied History for its intrinsic value and not, as today, as a tool of social and political indoctrination, knew exactly what the Mason-Dixon Line was, where it was, and what it meant. No longer.

Contrary to some people who are called "race-baiters" over here, the U.S. is far more advanced in every way that it was -- just in my memory.

There is a good song by James Taylor and mark knopfler about the Mason-Dixon line. Its called sailing to philadelphia. Tells the story of 2 surveyors sent from UK to survey the land for the MDL.

Mason-Dixon Line on 23:22 - Aug 29 with 1753 viewsperchrockjack

Heard that.lovely stuff.thanks phac

Mason-Dixon Line on 09:26 - Aug 30 with 1711 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Anyone know with any certainty where the name 'Dixie' to describe the South came from?

I read a couple of theories, one being that it derived from Jeremiah Dixon, another to do with a short-lived currency used in the Confederate states.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2014 9:29]

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Mason-Dixon Line on 09:46 - Aug 30 with 1698 viewsLohengrin

Mason-Dixon Line on 09:26 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Anyone know with any certainty where the name 'Dixie' to describe the South came from?

I read a couple of theories, one being that it derived from Jeremiah Dixon, another to do with a short-lived currency used in the Confederate states.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2014 9:29]

I can tell you with absolute certainty where it came from, mate. There's a convenience store on the corner of Royal Street in New Orleans, about thirty metres up from The Wyndham Hotel, the shop now occupies the site where once stood the Bank of New Orleans that used to issue the currency of Louisiana. The ten dollar note was commonly referred to as "The Dix" on account of French being widely spoken then in those parts. "Dixland" became common slang for that area where the note could be spent.

Over time, and with the aid of a catchy tune, it became anglicised to Dixieland.

EDIT: It predated the formation of The Confederacy by a century, or more.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2014 9:48]

Mason-Dixon Line on 11:15 - Aug 30 with 1668 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Mason-Dixon Line on 09:46 - Aug 30 by Lohengrin

I can tell you with absolute certainty where it came from, mate. There's a convenience store on the corner of Royal Street in New Orleans, about thirty metres up from The Wyndham Hotel, the shop now occupies the site where once stood the Bank of New Orleans that used to issue the currency of Louisiana. The ten dollar note was commonly referred to as "The Dix" on account of French being widely spoken then in those parts. "Dixland" became common slang for that area where the note could be spent.

Over time, and with the aid of a catchy tune, it became anglicised to Dixieland.

EDIT: It predated the formation of The Confederacy by a century, or more.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2014 9:48]

Cheers, of the suggestions I'd heard before, the currency one seemed the most plausible - the Jeremiah Dixon connection seemed more likely a coincidence.

I'm planning a trip to Tennessee next spring to visit a friend so I've become more interested in the South as a result; apparently I'll be eating a lot of pie....*

*awaits smutty interpretations..;)

Enjoying the next level

Mason-Dixon Line on 14:05 - Aug 30 with 1643 viewsperchrockjack

This is what this site should be all about.
Thanks to all.

serious post

Mason-Dixon Line on 15:09 - Aug 30 with 1633 viewsDavillin

Mason-Dixon Line on 11:15 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Cheers, of the suggestions I'd heard before, the currency one seemed the most plausible - the Jeremiah Dixon connection seemed more likely a coincidence.

I'm planning a trip to Tennessee next spring to visit a friend so I've become more interested in the South as a result; apparently I'll be eating a lot of pie....*

You'll like Tennessee. The people are friendly, courteous, and laid back. The scenery is lovely. The grits are creamy; and do try sausage gravy on a biscuit.

I'm envious again. Now it's not just Lohengrin doing it, but now you, too.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:42 - Aug 30 with 1612 viewsphact0rri

Mason-Dixon Line on 11:15 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Where at in Tennessee mun? I spent a good bit of time in Knoxville and east Tennessee... and I have loads of friends still there.

Mason-Dixon Line on 18:12 - Aug 30 with 1605 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Mason-Dixon Line on 17:42 - Aug 30 by phact0rri

Where at in Tennessee mun? I spent a good bit of time in Knoxville and east Tennessee... and I have loads of friends still there.

Murfreesboro area, slap bang in the centre of TN.

Enjoying the next level

Mason-Dixon Line on 21:10 - Aug 30 with 1571 viewsSandfieldshellsangel

Always been interested in the south v north in the USA .
Very good thread.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2014 21:11]

:Til I Die,and Beyond. Oi !! It's A Way Of Life.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024