Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does the name "Jack" come from? 17:10 - Aug 30 with 6259 viewsphact0rri

I'm not a Swansea native, though I spent loads of time in the city when I was a lad-- my father loved the City so. So I'm not ignorant completely of Swansea city, I went to the vetch when I was a kid quite often.. Haverfordwest AFC is sort of hard to watch. :)

but I was curious on where the term Jack comes from. I did a little searching a while back and got refrences to the hero-dog Swansea Jack, the welsh sailors nick named Jack for their lunch tins, and such. but I was more curious than getting answers.

I like to believe that there are many reasons why 'Jack' stuck as a Swansea native nickname-- but those of you who are native-- I'd like to listen to what you know as the origins of the term. Is there a shared origin? Do people not really chat on about it? are there stories shared?

I'd like to know.. and I imagine it might be a nice read for those who aren't from Swansea... and what 'Jack' really means. Its not really a term reserved for the Football club-- for those who don't know. Its a indentity that all of us non-Swansea natives should often think twice about using to describe ourselves, welsh or from elsewhere.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:11 - Aug 30 with 6249 viewsShonky

Jack Tar

Its just a ride...

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:12 - Aug 30 with 6247 viewsdickythorpe

It all comes from the dog that rescued people from the sea.

http://retrieverman.net/2008/11/28/swansea-jack/
Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:12 - Aug 30 with 6244 viewsGeoffThom

Sailors, stands for jolly jack tar anybody who says the dog is wrong
Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:14 - Aug 30 with 6234 viewsdickythorpe

It's all about the dog! Don't be swayed
Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:17 - Aug 30 with 6218 viewsGeoffThom

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:14 - Aug 30 by dickythorpe

It's all about the dog! Don't be swayed

No mate read your history books sailors were known as jack tars and swansea was a port full of them trying to get ships around the horn and other places
Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:19 - Aug 30 with 6211 viewsdickythorpe

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:17 - Aug 30 by GeoffThom

No mate read your history books sailors were known as jack tars and swansea was a port full of them trying to get ships around the horn and other places

Woof! Grrrr!!! Bark!!!! Yap!!!!!!
Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:20 - Aug 30 with 6209 viewsGeoffThom

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:19 - Aug 30 by dickythorpe

Woof! Grrrr!!! Bark!!!! Yap!!!!!!

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:25 - Aug 30 with 6199 viewsphact0rri

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 17:17 - Aug 30 by GeoffThom

The issue there, is as far as I recall from history, the US sailors called all Royal officers "Jacks" Which I always thought was because of the Union Jack, but the Jack Tar is the actual reason.

Interesting... sorry I'm only showing my ignorance. :)

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 18:12 - Aug 30 with 6160 viewsperchrockjack

The term is from the days when Swansea sailors were pre eminent for their skill.

It' was a term specifically for Swansea people alone but in recent times has been used to describe scfc followers.

I recall days when if you mentioned uou were a jack, there was confrontation a coming.

Cardiff fans are simply scummers

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 19:38 - Aug 30 with 6107 viewsepaul

I can confirm Jack Tar is a sailor as I was one once or a jolly jack tar as the saying goes. I am now only a jack, but wouldn't have it any other way

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Where does the name "Jack" come from? on 23:53 - Aug 30 with 6008 viewsDrWig

Although Swansea Jack the dog is a lovely tale, it comes from Jack Tars. Swamsea people were Jacks before Llanelli people became Turks and this was before the dog. I am an Abbey Jack ( or blackjack) being born in Neath

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024