Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea high up in net spend. 09:21 - Sep 2 with 1991 viewsNOTRAC

The Times today publishes a list of net transfer spend of Premiership clubs on an annual basis,including this years net spend.
What is surprising that over the last two years our net spend has been £28.63m, and this is higher than the net spend of Spurs,Newcastle and Everton..
The net spend of the Premiership teams over the last two years is
Man Utd. 140m
Man City 108m
Chelsea. 76m
Liverpool. 65m
West Ham. 47m
Hull. 33m
Swansea. 28m
Everton. 24m
Newcastle. 23m
West Brom. 17m
Aston villa. 15m
Crystal palace. 13m
QPR. 13m
Sunderland. 11m
Leicester. 10m
Burnley. 6m
Spurs. -2m
Southampton -16m

On the basis of the above I don't think anyone can accuse Huw and co of not being afraid to spend the cash.What is surprising is That Spurs are still living off Gareth Bale's sale, and Southampton are really taking a risk

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 09:26 - Sep 2 with 1952 viewsUxbridge

Bony, Fernandez, Montero. Not cheap.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 09:30 - Sep 2 with 1916 viewsApeShit

Well this explains the LED boards.
Swansea high up in net spend. on 09:36 - Sep 2 with 1875 viewsmonmouth

Interesting, if not necessarily informative in terms of drawing any sensible conclusions. Depends on the timings. We had the Allen and Brodge cash before it was done so need to go back a bit further to get a truer match maybe? Also, Soton aren't taking a risk really. If you get a zillion billion million in and have a net of -16m, you've still spent a zillion billion million -16.

One conclusion that can safely be drawn though is that ManUre are utter tossers.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swansea high up in net spend. on 09:43 - Sep 2 with 1837 viewsJackoBoostardo

It appears Garry has got the confidence of the board and Huw 100%.

But as mentioned in earlier interviews - the funds spent will not take Swansea into debt as we will still maintain a hefty surplus (which will also be used against the stadium).

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:09 - Sep 2 with 1747 viewsPrivate_Partz

Wilf is in that spend. Also we have had to shell out to replace the players we have lost. Had we not done this then GM would be feeling a very lonely person at the moment. How did they account for the undisclosed fees I wonder?

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:14 - Sep 2 with 1722 viewslonglostjack

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:09 - Sep 2 by Private_Partz

Wilf is in that spend. Also we have had to shell out to replace the players we have lost. Had we not done this then GM would be feeling a very lonely person at the moment. How did they account for the undisclosed fees I wonder?

That's a good point - how do they arrive at these figures if some fees are undisclosed?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:15 - Sep 2 with 1716 viewsSwansNZ

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:14 - Sep 2 by longlostjack

That's a good point - how do they arrive at these figures if some fees are undisclosed?

It's the media... They make them up

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:16 - Sep 2 with 1711 viewsMagicDaps

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:14 - Sep 2 by longlostjack

It's just guess work most of the time.

As has been mentioned though, you really need to go back another season or even to when we got promoted to get a better reflection of what we've spent.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:37 - Sep 2 with 1637 viewsperchrockjack

As Ive said before some years ago,IDEALLY Id have liked massive investment from a benefactor and was doubtful we could survive on the gates we have.
Its quite incredible not only we ve survived and prospering .
We are still seemingly well behind commercially and marketing ,but the foundations are there for many years of progress.
I repeat what some evertonian said to me yesterday, "you re in our league now mateno question"

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:44 - Sep 2 with 1619 viewsParlay

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:37 - Sep 2 by perchrockjack

As Ive said before some years ago,IDEALLY Id have liked massive investment from a benefactor and was doubtful we could survive on the gates we have.
We are still seemingly well behind commercially and marketing ,but the foundations are there for many years of progress.
I repeat what some evertonian said to me yesterday, "you re in our league now mateno question"

Ive always maintained that a benefactor was never needed. If you get £80m a year to survive and feel it isnt enough then you are in a bit of trouble id say.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:52 - Sep 2 with 1568 viewsperchrockjack

And I d agree PARLAY but that was then, this is now, which was my point

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea high up in net spend. on 11:04 - Sep 2 with 1524 viewsCatullus

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:44 - Sep 2 by Parlay

Ive always maintained that a benefactor was never needed. If you get £80m a year to survive and feel it isnt enough then you are in a bit of trouble id say.

That would be fine if we got exactly the same as other teams. But teams below us (who got less Sky money) still have bigger incomes than us.

It does show our board are willing to spend, but still only sensibly. 28 million over two years isn't really much, is it?
Not that it's a bad thing. because we haven't just been sensible, we've been clever too. Our latest dealings have left us (arguably) with our strongest ever squad. And yes, we lost Ben Davies, but getting Gylfi back looks like a masterstroke right now.
he should never have gone to Spurs, he's much more suited to us!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:01 - Sep 2 with 1396 viewsswanjackal

That figure must be from the last 3 transfer windows, and not actually annual, unless they have not counted undisclosed fees out of the club, but have done in to the club.

Around £18-20 million of that net spend was from last summer, and the bulk is the Bony deal. This only proves that the board not only have backed Monk this Summer, but also dispels the myth perpetuated by some that Laudrup didn't have backing, and actually had handsome funds to go about his business.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:17 - Sep 2 with 1331 viewsTom1912

Swansea high up in net spend. on 11:04 - Sep 2 by Catullus

That would be fine if we got exactly the same as other teams. But teams below us (who got less Sky money) still have bigger incomes than us.

It does show our board are willing to spend, but still only sensibly. 28 million over two years isn't really much, is it?
Not that it's a bad thing. because we haven't just been sensible, we've been clever too. Our latest dealings have left us (arguably) with our strongest ever squad. And yes, we lost Ben Davies, but getting Gylfi back looks like a masterstroke right now.
he should never have gone to Spurs, he's much more suited to us!

Our turnover is fairly comparable to most teams outside the top 8 with exceptions like Newcastle and West Ham. And most other teams tend to have a higher cost base too.

A net spend of £28m is a decent investment when it's the 7th highest in the league and we've built two training facilities at the same time.
Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:37 - Sep 2 with 1275 viewsouttolunch

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:37 - Sep 2 by perchrockjack

I'm sure i read somewhere that we had the 8th ( maybe 9th ) best shirt deal this year. We will always struggle commercially on tickets, hospitality and boxes as we are sold out so can't increase that until we expand or increase ticket prices.

On quick calculations newcastles gate money is probably around £15 mill ( 30,000 x £25 x 19 ) more than ours per season, arsenal more like £35 million ( 40,000 x £45 x 19). On tickets alone it is hard to see how we can ever compete in the transfer market.
Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:50 - Sep 2 with 1230 viewsJJJack

Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:37 - Sep 2 by outtolunch

I'm sure i read somewhere that we had the 8th ( maybe 9th ) best shirt deal this year. We will always struggle commercially on tickets, hospitality and boxes as we are sold out so can't increase that until we expand or increase ticket prices.

On quick calculations newcastles gate money is probably around £15 mill ( 30,000 x £25 x 19 ) more than ours per season, arsenal more like £35 million ( 40,000 x £45 x 19). On tickets alone it is hard to see how we can ever compete in the transfer market.

But we are competing. The figs demonstrate this. I've read countless Newcastle fan blogs moaning how we've pinched several signings from under their noses....e.g Bony and Gomis as they apparently couldn't compete with the packages we were offering. people vastly underestimate our financial clout. Villa for example, can't compete with us...look at the Cleverly situation. Aston Villa we are talking here....!
Swansea high up in net spend. on 13:05 - Sep 2 with 1184 viewsJackSomething

Swansea high up in net spend. on 10:44 - Sep 2 by Parlay

Agreed. I'm very surprised that in our 4th season in the Premier League (and with our first ever major trophy in the bag too), some would still like to see a rich owner come in.

That could end up with us being a mini-version of Chelsea or Man City, but it could also lead to us being the next Blackburn, Portsmouth or Leeds.

I'd rather us go on as we are, one of the flag bearers for achieving success in football without selling your club (and your soul?) to the highest bidder in order to achieve it.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swansea high up in net spend. on 13:19 - Sep 2 with 1139 viewsJackoBoostardo

Swansea high up in net spend. on 12:37 - Sep 2 by outtolunch

we're competing by looking for talent we can utilise, as opposed to just big money targets. How many times would Bony have been mentioned prior to the Swans introducing him to the Premier League.

It seems strange that the richer the club, the more risk averse they are - instead preferring to go for well known very expensive players as if this makes them somewhat superior (when we only have to see Torres to know this isn't necessarily the case).

Swansea may be doing it a difficult way - but it's a more noble and fair way in my opinion.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Swansea high up in net spend. on 14:52 - Sep 2 with 964 viewsswanduck

Some teams are missing, Stoke usually have one of the highest net spends and Arsenal aren't on there either.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2014 15:15]
Swansea high up in net spend. on 15:12 - Sep 2 with 919 viewswhiterock

Swansea high up in net spend. on 13:19 - Sep 2 by JackoBoostardo

we're competing by looking for talent we can utilise, as opposed to just big money targets. How many times would Bony have been mentioned prior to the Swans introducing him to the Premier League.

It seems strange that the richer the club, the more risk averse they are - instead preferring to go for well known very expensive players as if this makes them somewhat superior (when we only have to see Torres to know this isn't necessarily the case).

Swansea may be doing it a difficult way - but it's a more noble and fair way in my opinion.

And far more satisfying
Swansea high up in net spend. on 15:38 - Sep 2 with 857 viewsA_Fans_Dad

As noted previously this spend is practically all 2013/2014 season because according to this article by the Mail posted by Liberty on the http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/123840/how-well-has-swan

we only spent £1.3M more than we took in this Transfer period. see
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2740320/The-transfer-window-nu
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024