Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C 12:12 - Sep 2 with 1334 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk was left disappointed last night as Swansea City failed to make any last-minute signings – but there was some good news as they held on to Wilfried Bony.

Despite a summer of continued speculation – and talk of late interest from Monaco – Bony will remain at the Liberty until January at least after no rival club made a concrete bid for last season's 25-goal top scorer.

But while keeping hold of Bony was a major boost for Monk, the Swansea boss was left frustrated by the club's failure to clinch two late signings.

Monk had made it clear to Swansea's owners that he felt his squad was short of a left-back and a right-sided winger.

But having sanctioned the addition of eight new faces this summer, it appears the Swansea board were unwilling to push through any further deals.

The Post understands that despite late links with Tottenham's Kyle Naughton, the defender Monk wanted was Timothee Kolodziejczak.

But despite Monk's interest, the £3.2 million Nice left-back was yesterday unveiled by La Liga club Sevilla.

Swansea failed to agree a deal for the wide player Monk had earmarked as the man to push Nathan Dyer for a place on the right flank.

Monk was linked with Scott Sinclair and Andre Ayew, but it is thought neither of those players featured on his wish list.

With no new face on board, Swansea must rely on Marvin Emnes – who is currently out injured – to compete with Dyer, though Wayne Routledge and Jefferson Montero could also be pressed into duty on the right wing.

At left-back, meantime, Dwight Tiendalli and Jazz Richards are the only feasible alternatives to Taylor as Stephen Kingsley is currently regarded as a development player.

Jose Canas said his farewells yesterday, the Spaniard joining Espanyol on a free transfer after his Swansea contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

Canas departs after just one year – and 35 appearances – at Swansea having fallen out of favour when Monk took the reins from Michael Laudrup.

While they failed to sign any senior players, Swansea did complete a deal for striker Modou Barrow, who joins Chris Llewellyn's development squad.

Young winger Alex Bray joined League Two club Plymouth Argyle on loan until January 10, while teenage midfielder Kristian Scott has joined Leicester on a free transfer just a year after signing from Stoke.

Former Swan David Ngog signed for French top-flight club Reims, while ex-Monk target Benjamin Stambouli has moved to Spurs.
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-does-signings-mdash-Wilfried-

Poll: Next signing

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:17 - Sep 2 with 1307 viewsPrivate_Partz

That proves to me that the club tell SWEP diddly squat. All speculation as usual. I agree that there must be disappointment that we have failed to get the players in but it is stating the bleeding obvious nevertheless.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:19 - Sep 2 with 1302 viewsoldcob

I too am happy Wilf is staying. Surely its a status quo situation though, he is our player. We as a club must shed our inferiority complex and stop believing we are 'lucky' when we have a class player and by right he should be at a 'better' club. We are a premiership club now, and have have as much right as any other club to retain our best players. Its the only way to advance even further.
Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:42 - Sep 2 with 1226 viewsmonmouth

Monk is 'disappointed' and 'frustrated' is he? So you've spoken to him then? No? So that should read then "The SWEP is paying me to fill some column inches by speculating that..."

How do these people stay in jobs.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:55 - Sep 2 with 1181 viewsJackSomething

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:19 - Sep 2 by oldcob

I too am happy Wilf is staying. Surely its a status quo situation though, he is our player. We as a club must shed our inferiority complex and stop believing we are 'lucky' when we have a class player and by right he should be at a 'better' club. We are a premiership club now, and have have as much right as any other club to retain our best players. Its the only way to advance even further.

I understand what you're saying and I agree to some degree, but it's not as simple as that. There are 'leagues' even within the Premiership.

If a CL club wants a player from a mid-table Prem club (such as us), we're going to struggle to hold on to them.

If a title contending team wants a player from a top-half Premiership club, they're probably going to get them (see Berbatov, Carrick, Chambers, Lallana)

Hell, if one of the giants of the game wants a player from a title contending team, they're probably going to get them (see Ronaldo, Suarez, Fabregas).

The best we can do in those circumstances is get as much money as possible for them. Which we did with Joe Allen, but haven't done this summer. In Bony's case, the best scenario for us is to receive no offers. It means we still have a very good player who should be fired up to impress for the next few months to attract interest.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 13:34 - Sep 2 with 1089 viewsoldcob

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 12:55 - Sep 2 by JackSomething

I understand what you're saying and I agree to some degree, but it's not as simple as that. There are 'leagues' even within the Premiership.

If a CL club wants a player from a mid-table Prem club (such as us), we're going to struggle to hold on to them.

If a title contending team wants a player from a top-half Premiership club, they're probably going to get them (see Berbatov, Carrick, Chambers, Lallana)

Hell, if one of the giants of the game wants a player from a title contending team, they're probably going to get them (see Ronaldo, Suarez, Fabregas).

The best we can do in those circumstances is get as much money as possible for them. Which we did with Joe Allen, but haven't done this summer. In Bony's case, the best scenario for us is to receive no offers. It means we still have a very good player who should be fired up to impress for the next few months to attract interest.

I appreciate your opinion, but I believe there are leagues within leagues only because thats how we've come to accept it. We all start the season on zero and all under the heading of Premier League. In actual fact there aren't leagues within leagues its an abstract conception. Things change, it wasn't that long ago Blackburn Rovers won the top league where they are now, not even in the top flight. Look at us, nearly out of the football league, now established in premiership. Think we are inferior to the clubs currently at the top of the tree, and thats how we will be.
Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 13:46 - Sep 2 with 1049 viewsLeonisGod

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 13:34 - Sep 2 by oldcob

I appreciate your opinion, but I believe there are leagues within leagues only because thats how we've come to accept it. We all start the season on zero and all under the heading of Premier League. In actual fact there aren't leagues within leagues its an abstract conception. Things change, it wasn't that long ago Blackburn Rovers won the top league where they are now, not even in the top flight. Look at us, nearly out of the football league, now established in premiership. Think we are inferior to the clubs currently at the top of the tree, and thats how we will be.

We might start on zero, but to think we are all equal is a bit of optimism. There are clearly different level clubs in the league depending on whether they are in Europe or not, how much they are prepared to spend on fees and wages, etc. We could never compete in terms of a draw with a team like Liverpool, a

So 'leagues within a league' might be a cliche, but it does accurately reflect status. What it doesn't do is necessarily give a guide to how we will perform against those teams. Fear nobody, but be realistic that we are not going to compete to Falcao's signing. Nothing wrong with that - it's just the way it is.
Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 14:12 - Sep 2 with 998 viewsJackSomething

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 13:46 - Sep 2 by LeonisGod

We might start on zero, but to think we are all equal is a bit of optimism. There are clearly different level clubs in the league depending on whether they are in Europe or not, how much they are prepared to spend on fees and wages, etc. We could never compete in terms of a draw with a team like Liverpool, a

So 'leagues within a league' might be a cliche, but it does accurately reflect status. What it doesn't do is necessarily give a guide to how we will perform against those teams. Fear nobody, but be realistic that we are not going to compete to Falcao's signing. Nothing wrong with that - it's just the way it is.

Agreed. I love oldcob's romantic view of modern football, but I can't agree with it.

Certainly on the pitch things like good management, tactics and teamwork can make a difference, otherwise we wouldn't even be in the Prem, let alone beating teams like Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. Financially though, it's a different story.

Southampton competed brilliantly last season, but when the summer came, those on a higher financial level ripped the guts out of their team. Now they're rebuilding because they couldn't keep hold of their biggest assets. I can't see how they could stop it happening.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 18:02 - Sep 2 with 831 viewsNeiltheTaylor

As Monk alludes to in today's article, Huw was probably a bit distracted making his own signings for the development team to complete the couple that Monk considered crucial for the first team.

Hopefully Huws vision of his signings making the step up to fill first team gaps as they appear will show the next phase in Swansea' s model

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 18:04 - Sep 2 with 821 viewsperchrockjack

I think teams will be more concerned about or attackers running at them

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 18:35 - Sep 2 with 770 viewsoldcob

Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 14:12 - Sep 2 by JackSomething

Agreed. I love oldcob's romantic view of modern football, but I can't agree with it.

Certainly on the pitch things like good management, tactics and teamwork can make a difference, otherwise we wouldn't even be in the Prem, let alone beating teams like Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. Financially though, it's a different story.

Southampton competed brilliantly last season, but when the summer came, those on a higher financial level ripped the guts out of their team. Now they're rebuilding because they couldn't keep hold of their biggest assets. I can't see how they could stop it happening.

Maybe I do have a romantic view on football, but if anyone had said ten years ago we would be an established premiership club, they too would have been accused of being a romantic. We are because people believed. Throwing money at problems doesn't always solve them (QPR). Money is important, I'm not naive enough to think it isn't, but belief is important too, as anyone who have supported the club for over ten years will testify. The point I'm trying to get across is think small and you will remain small.
Garry Monk does not get his signings – but Wilfried Bony stay boosts Swansea C on 18:37 - Sep 2 with 763 viewsperchrockjack

But we are where we are old on. Great innit

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024