Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack to a king: The review 20:25 - Sep 12 with 32368 viewsPlazex

RATING OUT OF 10-No, I am being serious. A big 10.
It follows the story of Swansea from when they had the rollercoaster ride in 2001-2003 to where they are now. Some parts had the cinema laughing, especially the guys in the masks. Another part that was funny was the 'T.W.A.T.' Headline that had everyone laughing
I'm not gonna say that much, It is around an hour 30 long. Seriously, it's worth the 9 quid or whatever it is.

Poll: Where will we finish?

Jack to a king: The review on 16:55 - Sep 14 with 2212 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 16:41 - Sep 14 by westx

You are spot on he was in the wings but he did also invest when the club most needed it unlike Dineen who waited until it was secure before putting his money in - riding on the back of the fans until that point to get his foot on. No doubt as well now he would sell as quick as an oil billionaire said £20 per share.

Don't let him tell you what actually happened - he didn't put any of his money in until the club was on a level footing

I remember an interview with old Tenko and they said each director or put in 50k initially, he didn't argue with it, but I do know he out in 5k. Fair play mind they acted when many were sat on their hands. I know Tenko has his dissenters, can be a bit off with people but I know him from the TITS days, he is decent, deep down anyway ;-)

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Jack to a king: The review on 17:01 - Sep 14 with 2184 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 16:08 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

There are many people with many opinions about the film, I have seen it and found it entertaining but where are all these people who fought against the various regimes I read about in the late 90's from silver shield, Lewis and then Petty ? Why wasn't Phil Sumbler in it and his original supporters club in Bristol ? Correct me if the location is wrong / right. I recall him and a others on the news fronting up to all of them whilst a lot of fans were being hoodwinked. Where is this guy Rich lillicrap ? Who if you google clearly was involved heavily ? Seems to me a lot of hard work was done during the very early days by a few fans that was jumped on by others when the path was clear.

I could be wrong but you can easily see by researching on the internet that some key and main players were left out of this.
Why ?
Would they have stole some thunder and told a more truthful account ? Or is it that all of these fans seem to be living away from or not from Swansea ? Was that a problem ? It has long been said the club and board are somewhat protective and insular.

That aside, an enjoyable film and recent fans be that by age or success will see it and love it I'm sure, it's just a shame chunks of it were unnecessary when some people were left out completely. As I said I knew Mal Pope back in the late 80's and he told me at a gig in Swansea one night he wasn't a swans fan that much. Irrespective if he gave away records to support the club at one point, he would only do that for personal publicity IMO. Harsh, I know but fair.

However, he has worked hard on this and fair play to him for the effort he has put in with others to chart some form of historical document. Unlike some it seems - At least he will get recognised for it.

I loved it but feel cheated too.

Thats my review.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2014 16:13]

The supporters group you refer to was the MAGS (think they were the GITS once) and you are right they did stand up to the likes of Silver Shield and Lewis when nobody else did. If you cast your eye back over the archives of the websites Keith Hayes (who was the main man) got some serious grief from other fans for daring to doubt but it was people like this who stood up and made people think differently and possibly if it weren't for them then we would have accepted Petty.

You are right on Tenko but he did only put in £5k and think he has had it back now as he fell on tough times but as you say he stood up and put some cash in more than Leigh Dineen managed.

I seem to remember Richard lillicrap being particularly upset that Dineen had invested personally in the club believing that he used the trust as a foot up to do just that

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

Jack to a king: The review on 17:05 - Sep 14 with 2168 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 17:01 - Sep 14 by westx

The supporters group you refer to was the MAGS (think they were the GITS once) and you are right they did stand up to the likes of Silver Shield and Lewis when nobody else did. If you cast your eye back over the archives of the websites Keith Hayes (who was the main man) got some serious grief from other fans for daring to doubt but it was people like this who stood up and made people think differently and possibly if it weren't for them then we would have accepted Petty.

You are right on Tenko but he did only put in £5k and think he has had it back now as he fell on tough times but as you say he stood up and put some cash in more than Leigh Dineen managed.

I seem to remember Richard lillicrap being particularly upset that Dineen had invested personally in the club believing that he used the trust as a foot up to do just that

I bow to your greater knowledge, as I said Richard Lillicrap resonates with me as he cant speak for himself now he has died, which was a thread on here a while back, very sad. And I cannot believe the film overlooked this guy. As I said a basic google search throws up plenty.

Jack to a king: The review on 17:07 - Sep 14 with 2152 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 17:05 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

I bow to your greater knowledge, as I said Richard Lillicrap resonates with me as he cant speak for himself now he has died, which was a thread on here a while back, very sad. And I cannot believe the film overlooked this guy. As I said a basic google search throws up plenty.

I could be wrong but fairly certain he got his money back off John the clog

Jack to a king: The review on 17:11 - Sep 14 with 2140 viewsouttolunch

Jack to a king: The review on 17:01 - Sep 14 by westx

I can't agree with you sorry. Yes DM put £5k in as part of the money with JVZ and sat on the board. Trust and LD put some original money in and were given time to get the rest as the club needed all it could get at the time. As the film said they looked for 10 investors to put in £50k each but never got them all. Did you know that one investor didn't put any money in until over a year later ? Obviously not otherwise you would be slating him as well.
Jack to a king: The review on 17:16 - Sep 14 with 2126 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 17:11 - Sep 14 by outtolunch

I can't agree with you sorry. Yes DM put £5k in as part of the money with JVZ and sat on the board. Trust and LD put some original money in and were given time to get the rest as the club needed all it could get at the time. As the film said they looked for 10 investors to put in £50k each but never got them all. Did you know that one investor didn't put any money in until over a year later ? Obviously not otherwise you would be slating him as well.

You're right I would be slating him as well especially if he had claimed that he put money in on day 1 when he didn't. Maybe you could enlighten me as to who this person is?

However the fact also remains that Leigh put his money in around 3+ years later - it was around the time he stood down as supporter director as he had been told by the trust board that he was in conflict of interest

Maybe if you believe different you could tell me how much Leigh put in originally as the answer is almost certainly nil. You are right the trust was given extra time to raise money (their website tells you that) but leigh just decided he would invest after it was safe to do so and the money was not at risk

Jack to a king: The review on 17:25 - Sep 14 with 2087 viewsUxbridge

Jack to a king: The review on 17:16 - Sep 14 by westx

You're right I would be slating him as well especially if he had claimed that he put money in on day 1 when he didn't. Maybe you could enlighten me as to who this person is?

However the fact also remains that Leigh put his money in around 3+ years later - it was around the time he stood down as supporter director as he had been told by the trust board that he was in conflict of interest

Maybe if you believe different you could tell me how much Leigh put in originally as the answer is almost certainly nil. You are right the trust was given extra time to raise money (their website tells you that) but leigh just decided he would invest after it was safe to do so and the money was not at risk

For what it's worth, and this is second hand as I don't know the exact dates, this is pretty much exactly as Jackonicko laid out the timeline in previous posts.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Jack to a king: The review on 17:25 - Sep 14 with 2082 viewsouttolunch

Jack to a king: The review on 17:16 - Sep 14 by westx

I know who it was but wont be saying on here. I dont know off hand what the original amount was but companies house will. I do have the info on the holding company somewhere so will try and dig them out for you. I should think it shows when shares were purchased for all of them
Login to get fewer ads

Jack to a king: The review on 17:32 - Sep 14 with 2061 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 17:25 - Sep 14 by outtolunch

I know who it was but wont be saying on here. I dont know off hand what the original amount was but companies house will. I do have the info on the holding company somewhere so will try and dig them out for you. I should think it shows when shares were purchased for all of them

Not prepared to back up your statements? Is this their first investment you are talking about or the additional investment that four people made when it was asked for?

You can look it up and post it here but the fact remains that Mr Dineen (no matter what he tells you) did not invest his own money at the time he was prepared to ride on the coat tails of the fans with no risk until the club was stable and then he used his position to make an investment. Richard Lillicrap said it stunk at the time (and it has been backed up date wise in this very thread)

Now back to this person that didn't invest for twelve months which one of the below was it

Martin Morgan
Brian Katzen
Huw Jenkins
Supporters Trust
Rob Davies
Mel Nurse
John The Clog
Dineen

Jack to a king: The review on 17:46 - Sep 14 with 2030 viewsStarsky

All you 'in the know' people, who are discussing who did what on this thread... It's just turning into a public bitchfest.

If this is the end product of this film, then I wish to god they'd never made it.

It's just the internet, init.

Jack to a king: The review on 18:07 - Sep 14 with 1993 viewsUxbridge

Jack to a king: The review on 17:46 - Sep 14 by Starsky

All you 'in the know' people, who are discussing who did what on this thread... It's just turning into a public bitchfest.

If this is the end product of this film, then I wish to god they'd never made it.

It's a shame it wasn't accurate and representative. Wouldnt have taken much tweaking and the truth doesn't need embellishment.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Jack to a king: The review on 18:19 - Sep 14 with 1956 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 17:46 - Sep 14 by Starsky

I think its just a group of people having a talk and trying to make some sense of the missing parts, that shouldn't bother you. Why is everything an issue ?

Jack to a king: The review on 18:21 - Sep 14 with 1950 viewsStarsky

Jack to a king: The review on 18:19 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

I think its just a group of people having a talk and trying to make some sense of the missing parts, that shouldn't bother you. Why is everything an issue ?

No, I'm not doubting you guys. I just think that the film folk phucked up.
It's not pretty reading though.

It's just the internet, init.

Jack to a king: The review on 18:24 - Sep 14 with 1939 viewspencoedjack

Jack to a king: The review on 16:55 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

I remember an interview with old Tenko and they said each director or put in 50k initially, he didn't argue with it, but I do know he out in 5k. Fair play mind they acted when many were sat on their hands. I know Tenko has his dissenters, can be a bit off with people but I know him from the TITS days, he is decent, deep down anyway ;-)

What 'dissenters' does Dai have mate ?

Good guy who loves the club.
Jack to a king: The review on 18:25 - Sep 14 with 1934 viewswestx

Jack to a king: The review on 18:19 - Sep 14 by ScoobyWho

This is it for me - nothing against the film which is a great watch but with plenty of inaccuracies and people talking up their input not least Mr Dineen

Jack to a king: The review on 18:36 - Sep 14 with 1907 viewsScoobyWho

Jack to a king: The review on 18:24 - Sep 14 by pencoedjack

What 'dissenters' does Dai have mate ?

Good guy who loves the club.

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying he used to rub people up the wrong way at times when he ran the TITS buses, I found him ok TBH. But he could display a degree of arrogance at times which some people felt was unnecessary. As I said I had no issues with him, but some did, and I can see why, that goes for all of us, cant please em all. No matter who we are.

It is without doubt his life is SCFC.

Jack to a king: The review on 20:57 - Sep 14 with 1776 viewsepaul

Just back from Leicester square showing and I fukin loved it, even shed a tear at the end. It's a story we all know but what a story to sit and watch, so all you w ankers dissing the film go do one we don't need you, feel proud be loud Jack fukin army. We are the chosen ones

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Jack to a king: The review on 21:03 - Sep 14 with 1751 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 20:57 - Sep 14 by epaul

Just back from Leicester square showing and I fukin loved it, even shed a tear at the end. It's a story we all know but what a story to sit and watch, so all you w ankers dissing the film go do one we don't need you, feel proud be loud Jack fukin army. We are the chosen ones

We don't need Phil Sumbler?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Jack to a king: The review on 21:06 - Sep 14 with 1740 viewsJackfath

Jack to a king: The review on 21:03 - Sep 14 by Darran

Vodka weetabix girl is more important than Phillip.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Jack to a king: The review on 21:09 - Sep 14 with 1735 viewsPhil_S

Jack to a king: The review on 21:03 - Sep 14 by Darran

In fairness I have said several times I enjoyed the film

Just would have portrayed parts of it considerably differently and certainly from the Trust perspective with completely different people. And Mal is aware of that as he was told quote vocally by myself and Huw when he was ignoring us :D
Jack to a king: The review on 21:11 - Sep 14 with 1720 viewsDarran

Jack to a king: The review on 21:09 - Sep 14 by Phil_S

In fairness I have said several times I enjoyed the film

Just would have portrayed parts of it considerably differently and certainly from the Trust perspective with completely different people. And Mal is aware of that as he was told quote vocally by myself and Huw when he was ignoring us :D

What did he say?

Jack to a king: The review on 21:15 - Sep 14 with 1715 viewsBloodyhills

I'd give it an 8/10. It's by far the best film on football I've seen but then it meant a lot to me emotionally and reliving promotion to the Premier brought a tear to the eye. I was in Preston eons ago and never thought it possible to see the Swans in the top flight again.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Jack to a king: The review on 21:35 - Sep 14 with 1669 viewsMartyrman57

Saw it this afternoon at Nantgarw, near Crapdiff. Enjoyed the film. About 30 there and applause at the end
Jack to a king: The review on 21:36 - Sep 14 with 1660 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I have to admit to having zero interest in this film since it was announced, but I think I'll pop along to see it in Leicester Square after work one day this week...

...mainly for that... I was thinking this morning: There's a film, about the Swans, yes, the Swans, showing all week in Leicester Square...FFS...all a bit surreal to be fair. I don't care if I'm the only f*cker in the venue watching it, it'll be an experience I'd never have imagined happening all those years ago watching Alan Cork long-ball us to 20th in the 4th division as the majority of my Olchfa classmates took the piss and waxed lyrical and lived their token football glory vicariously through 'Becks' and 'Giggsy'. The utter c*nts.

I'll probably think it's a bit sh*t in itself, but the fact it exists and I'm sitting there watching it in Leicester Square will be a laugh.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Jack to a king: The review on 00:33 - Sep 15 with 1528 viewsDarran

What was the name of the fella in the early days of the Trust that was in the Welsh documentary and kept on about Magic Daps?
He arranged a visit to the Liberty when it was nearly finished for all the disabled supporters for a 1pm on a Saturday,when it was pointed out that we were playing Bristol Rovers away he said don't worry about it you'll still be there in time for kick off.
Very Welshy balding fella.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024