Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com 09:42 - Sep 17 with 940 viewsthomasJack

WILFRIED Bony insists he is only focused on improving on his spectacular debut season at Swansea City after talk of a big-money summer move came to nothing.

And though he is yet to get off the mark in 2014-15, last term's 25-goal Liberty top scorer believes he is in better form now than he was at the start of his maiden Swansea campaign.

Bony admits he was left wondering whether he would end up moving on amid near-constant speculation about his future during the summer.

But the striker is quite happy to have stayed on at Swansea – and is now concentrating on helping Garry Monk's team thrive in the Premier League.

Asked about the close-season stories linking him with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, Bony said: "Now it's over.

"Before we were talking, but now it's over so I have to focus on the team.

"There were some chances (that he might leave), but nothing concrete. I waited and nothing happened so now I am just focused on the team.

"My head is okay. I just want to repeat or do better than last season."

At one stage over the summer, it seemed almost inevitable that Bony would end up saying his goodbyes.

Huw Jenkins took a veiled swipe at Liverpool amid suggestions the Reds had spoken to Bony's camp even though no deal had been agreed between the clubs.

Tottenham's interest is also thought to have been serious, while Monaco, Roma and Borussia Dortmund are among the Continental teams who were said to be keen.

Bony's agent did not exactly pour cold water on talk of a transfer, and it seemed that a bid of around £20 million – the release clause in the Ivorian's Swansea contract – would bring an end to his stay in Wales after just one season

Yet despite all the stories, Swansea's hierarchy maintained that they received no offers for Bony.

They would almost certainly have been powerless to block a move had Bony's release clause been met, but Swansea were left breathing a sigh of relief as no rival club put the money on the table.

In the circumstances, Bony might have agitated for a transfer.

He could have failed to turn up for training, or threatened to go on strike as some players at other clubs have done.

Yet the former Vitesse Arnhem man has remained professional throughout, and has begun the new campaign fairly well even though no goal has come yet.

Bony, who laid on Jonjo Shelvey's late strike at Chelsea last weekend, believes his early-season performances have proved that he remains committed to the Swansea cause.

"We can see from the games I played that the speculation didn't affect me," he said.

"I think I have started better than last season.

"The goals are not coming, but the team is playing well. I'm not affected and the goals will come."

By this stage last season, Bony already had four Swansea goals to his name – although only one of them had come in the Premier League.

This time round he has missed a couple of big opportunities to get up and running, yet the 25-year-old feels his overall contribution has been better than it was when he first arrived in English football.

Last season, after all, it took Bony quite some time to convince Michael Laudrup he was worthy of a starting place.

This term he has been Monk's first choice up front even though Swansea now have a genuine rival for Bony in the shape of Bafetimbi Gomis.

If the goals do not come soon, it may be that Gomis – who started at Chelsea, but only because Bony had been away on international duty – gets a chance to claim the No. 9 role.

But the smart money is on Bony reclaiming his starting berth against Southampton this Saturday – and he insists he will not feel any extra pressure to find the target.

"The goals are not on my mind," he said. "It will come. I'm quite prepared for that

The most important thing is that the team is doing well. I'm not affected by the lack of goals.

"Sometimes a player can score in two or three games, but then he can miss for five games. This is the way football works."

As for Gomis, Bony welcomes the presence of another top-class forward in the Swansea squad.

"It's good support for the team," he added.

"We could see last Saturday that he played well and was unlucky not to score.

"The most important thing is that somebody plays well for the team."

Generally, someone has delivered for Monk's side in what has been a hugely promising start to the season.

But after chances went begging at Stamford Bridge, Bony acknowledges that the onus will eventually be on Swansea's forwards to find the target.

"We had a couple of chances at Chelsea and if we'd scored a second goal it would have been a different game," he said.

"If we don't score we don't win, so it is important for us to keep scoring."

On the evidence of last season, it will not be long before Bony breaks his duck in this campaign.

The great news for Monk is that when the goals do come, they will be scored for Swansea City.

For a while, after all, Swansea's manager feared Bony would be fighting for a different cause this year.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Wilfried-Bony-focused-Swansea-City-leavi

Poll: Next signing

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 09:58 - Sep 17 with 912 viewsperchrockjack

I know we are only his employer and he could leave anytime soon but he does give the impression of being a top pro.
He was slow to start with us but he rapidly made strides to be a monster in the making.
He s a way to go yet before he s the finished article. When he is he ll leave us and will play for a top club.

I like him.a lot

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 10:01 - Sep 17 with 907 viewsHugeEnkins

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 09:58 - Sep 17 by perchrockjack

I know we are only his employer and he could leave anytime soon but he does give the impression of being a top pro.
He was slow to start with us but he rapidly made strides to be a monster in the making.
He s a way to go yet before he s the finished article. When he is he ll leave us and will play for a top club.

I like him.a lot

Get him to sign a new contract with a higher buy out clause please!
Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 10:16 - Sep 17 with 880 viewshammy

He definitely is playing better this season. His first touch, ability to beat a player and his passing (e.g., the one that set up Jonjo's goal against Chelski) is much improved. As he says it will be just a matter of time before he hits the back of the net; a couple against Soton on Saturday would be great ;)

Comes across as a very decent fella ... and, yes, let's get him on a higher release clause !

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 10:18 - Sep 17 with 876 viewsZut_Alors

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 09:58 - Sep 17 by perchrockjack

I like him.a lot

I agree. He wants to reach the top and I genuinely think he's got a chance. If he can get 15+ goals this season, I'm sure the offers will come. Seems like a top bloke and hopefully can inspire Gomis to challenge him, too. I just hope he stays injury free, so we don't have another Michu on our hands.
Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 13:25 - Sep 18 with 582 viewsShelveyisgod

This is the best article I've read on Bony for a while. Finally a top sports website giving us the time of day.

http://sportjustice.com/why-bonys-only-just-getting-started/

For me, he's a top player and we shouldn't be too hard on him looking around at other clubs. He's never given anything other than 100% since he's been here. Could you ever picture us having a player like him 10 years ago?
Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 17:53 - Sep 18 with 511 viewsperchrockjack

I agree too and would offer him a monster (for us) contract .
I truly believe we could qualify for Europe again this year and will do so in future years.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wilfried Bony: I am focused on Swansea City, not leaving, and the goals will com on 20:08 - Sep 18 with 395 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Wilf to get off the mark Saturday

Lump on

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024