Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals 10:40 - Sep 19 with 2596 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk says his players are training like never before in a bid to make Swansea City a more potent Premier League force.

Swansea have netted eight goals in their first four league games this season, a record bettered only by Chelsea (15) and Everton (nine) in the top flight.

And Monk has revealed how Swansea have worked on a daily basis in an attempt to ensure they have more goal threats come the weekend.

"We have had goals from across the team so far, and we have trained to make that happen," said the Swansea manager.

"You can't just say to a player 'I want you to score more goals' and expect it to happen. You have to train different patterns, different ways of breaking through the lines and different ways of arriving in the box.

"You don't just say you want more people to score and expect it to happen, it doesn't work like that."

Gylfi Sigurdsson, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge, Ki Sung-Yueng and Jonjo Shelvey have all found the target already this season.

The only goal from one of Swansea's strikers to date came from Bafetimbi Gomis in the Capital One Cup, so the signs are promising given that both he and Wilfried Bony are bound to get their share. "We are creating well at the moment," Monk added.

"We know we will go through periods where maybe we don't score so much.

"But we are working hard to make sure the goals keep coming.

"The players have probably never trained as much on the things we are talking about.

"In fact, in my time at Swansea they have never trained like that.

"I am not claiming it's anything radical or that it's all new, but we are doing things we haven't done before."

Part of the new training regime at Swansea is on the mental side.

"As I've said to the players, the days are gone where you just come in, get a sweat on for a couple of hours and go home," Monk said.

"You have to think about what you are asked to do.

"We ask them questions in training because if they are better thinkers in training, they will be better thinkers on the pitch.

"I wasn't the most talented player, but I was a good thinker. I saw things on the pitch and I told players what to do – mainly because I couldn't run there myself!

"It's hard getting the players to think more about the game, especially some of the British lads who haven't really worked like this before.

"But once they understand the reason why we're doing things, they are able to do it."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-training-like-Garry-Monk-re

Poll: Next signing

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 10:46 - Sep 19 with 2061 viewsmonmouth

I'd love to know what questions they ask JJS.

Coming soon. The Janet and Jonjo book on football thinking.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 10:56 - Sep 19 with 2041 viewsicecoldjack

I wonder what kind of questions are being asked ?

Hard getting British players to think about the game eh ? Jeez, no wonder the home countries are struggling on the international front if that's the case .

I hope they start thinking straight in the Southampton game as that will be a. Difficult game with brains let alone without them!
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:19 - Sep 19 with 1899 viewsLiberty

What an odd article.

Either Evening post or Monk is stirring things up. Does Monk really utter these words.

Players training like never before !!!!! Who says this type of thing ?

Getting the players to think about the game, especially some of the British lads !!!

It's all sounding a bit embarrasing. Sound bite after sound bite.

Days are gone when just turn up and get a sweat on !!

Why does he keep having to criticise the past ? Perhaps when you have done better than previous managers , and retired and write autobiography, but not now.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:27 - Sep 19 with 1863 viewsHugeEnkins

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:19 - Sep 19 by Liberty

What an odd article.

Either Evening post or Monk is stirring things up. Does Monk really utter these words.

Getting the players to think about the game, especially some of the British lads !!!

Why does he keep having to criticise the past ? Perhaps when you have done better than previous managers , and retired and write autobiography, but not now.

If you take it on face value, he's highlighting how things have changed. It doesn't sound like he's criticizing anything to me. He's making all the right noises and not stirring anything up. It depends, in what context, you take the statements.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 12:31]
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:27 - Sep 19 with 1861 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:19 - Sep 19 by Liberty

What an odd article.

Perhaps he was talking about his own training?
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:33 - Sep 19 with 1834 viewsthe_oracle

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 10:46 - Sep 19 by monmouth

I'd love to know what questions they ask JJS.

Coming soon. The Janet and Jonjo book on football thinking.

See Jonjo run. Run Jonjo, run. Shoot Jonjo, shoot. Fetch the ball from row Z Jonjo. Head up Jonjo.
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:38 - Sep 19 with 1821 viewsbalboajack

What an odd article.

I have a few spare exclamation marks if you'd like them?
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:41 - Sep 19 with 1802 viewsStarsky

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:38 - Sep 19 by balboajack

Don't give anymore ffs. He's had all mine!

It's just the internet, init.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:42 - Sep 19 with 1798 viewsNeath_Jack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:38 - Sep 19 by balboajack

An exclamation mark should be used for special occasions only, a bit like a bow tie.

It bugs the life out of me seeing them slapped in willy nilly. And i'm far from a literary genius.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 12:44]

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:46 - Sep 19 with 1769 viewsStarsky

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:42 - Sep 19 by Neath_Jack

An exclamation mark should be used for special occasions only, a bit like a bow tie.

It bugs the life out of me seeing them slapped in willy nilly. And i'm far from a literary genius.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 12:44]

I'm.

It's just the internet, init.

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:56 - Sep 19 with 1730 viewsLiberty

You can't beat a few !!! To add to the drama of it all.

In my defence I don't over do the -

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:57 - Sep 19 with 1721 views_

Monk... No....

*cringe*

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 17:48 - Sep 19 with 1482 viewsSpratty

Oscar Garcia smiles knowingly and thinks how’s that working out for you Leon (WK's law)

This is not “on the mental side” it’s Insanity

No literally

I saw the postie deliver the DVDs to his house a few weeks back.

You can definitely see the progress. After Hull we had:
I told them if you can’t win don’t lose

But now we have:
"You can't just say to a player 'I want you to score more goals' and expect it to happen
"You don't just say you want more people to score and expect it to happen, it doesn't work like that."

Genius, stop it Garry you are killing me, we could relaunch Punch with this stuff. You have got to be taking the p!ss. If I was an experienced PL standard player I might feel a tad patronised, but I am not and it seems to be working thus far, so more of the same. Perhaps laughter is the key.

Might I suggest on the “mental side” debating infinite regress theory — then they might really understand why they are doing it.
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 17:54 - Sep 19 with 1470 viewsOldjack

What an odd article.

nowt wrong with those statements and i sincerely hope they're all true, they get paid more than enough too graft and sweat ,or would you rather lifeless Mike's approach

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 17:59 - Sep 19 with 1441 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Hopefully Jonjo had a bollocking after the last game.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 18:01 - Sep 19 with 1444 viewsOldjack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 17:59 - Sep 19 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

stop talking wet ffs

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 18:12 - Sep 19 with 1410 viewsmonmouth

After watching Brenno's face stroking, smoke blowing, three names in an envelope stuff, this article is like a Tom Peters masterclass. Go Gaz.

Hmmm... apart from Ki though (who scored a couple at Sunderland) why is it at all odd that Routs, Dyer and JJS have scored this season? The bigger issue is getting Bony/Gomis off the premier mark.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 18:29 - Sep 19 with 1354 viewsMattG

Personally I think it's good that training is going beyond just the physical and tactical.

What's less good is that it wasn't happening before.
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:21 - Sep 19 with 1192 viewswaynekerr55

The best players are the best thinkers in the sense that their skills become hard wired (neurologically speaking of course) thus their brains can work faster and execute skills faster

FAO Spratty - one of my PGCE students got a group to do that insanity work out, it's crazy!

As I know you deal in facts, look at Garcia's record with regards soft tissue injuries

Extra games = reduce the training load. Something that's taught on a level 2 course... something our Oscar obviously doesn't get

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:24 - Sep 19 with 1186 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:21 - Sep 19 by waynekerr55

The best players are the best thinkers in the sense that their skills become hard wired (neurologically speaking of course) thus their brains can work faster and execute skills faster

FAO Spratty - one of my PGCE students got a group to do that insanity work out, it's crazy!

As I know you deal in facts, look at Garcia's record with regards soft tissue injuries

Extra games = reduce the training load. Something that's taught on a level 2 course... something our Oscar obviously doesn't get

Would you say that the lack of academic achievement typical in British footballers has a detrimental effect on that thinking?

The two go hand in hand for me.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:29 - Sep 19 with 1172 viewsJJJack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:24 - Sep 19 by Dr_Winston

Would you say that the lack of academic achievement typical in British footballers has a detrimental effect on that thinking?

Yes
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:40 - Sep 19 with 1136 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:24 - Sep 19 by Dr_Winston

Also the myelin theory.

It's in Gladwell's books. Hence why British players crumble under pressure due to the lack of realistic practice

See Moyes, D and his Horseshoe runs for a perfect example of crap practice

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:50 - Sep 19 with 1108 viewsNeathJack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:40 - Sep 19 by waynekerr55

Also the myelin theory.

It's in Gladwell's books. Hence why British players crumble under pressure due to the lack of realistic practice

See Moyes, D and his Horseshoe runs for a perfect example of crap practice

Some training footage pre Soton at the end of this

On a side note, Steve Tucker looks delighted to be at the press conference
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 21:27 - Sep 19 with 1036 viewsfootball2301

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 17:59 - Sep 19 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

i would love for you to tell us why you have such a hatred of jonjo you just can't help yourself can you
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 21:38 - Sep 19 with 1001 viewsC_jack

Iain Dowie has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024