Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals 10:40 - Sep 19 with 2591 viewsthomasJack

GARRY Monk says his players are training like never before in a bid to make Swansea City a more potent Premier League force.

Swansea have netted eight goals in their first four league games this season, a record bettered only by Chelsea (15) and Everton (nine) in the top flight.

And Monk has revealed how Swansea have worked on a daily basis in an attempt to ensure they have more goal threats come the weekend.

"We have had goals from across the team so far, and we have trained to make that happen," said the Swansea manager.

"You can't just say to a player 'I want you to score more goals' and expect it to happen. You have to train different patterns, different ways of breaking through the lines and different ways of arriving in the box.

"You don't just say you want more people to score and expect it to happen, it doesn't work like that."

Gylfi Sigurdsson, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge, Ki Sung-Yueng and Jonjo Shelvey have all found the target already this season.

The only goal from one of Swansea's strikers to date came from Bafetimbi Gomis in the Capital One Cup, so the signs are promising given that both he and Wilfried Bony are bound to get their share. "We are creating well at the moment," Monk added.

"We know we will go through periods where maybe we don't score so much.

"But we are working hard to make sure the goals keep coming.

"The players have probably never trained as much on the things we are talking about.

"In fact, in my time at Swansea they have never trained like that.

"I am not claiming it's anything radical or that it's all new, but we are doing things we haven't done before."

Part of the new training regime at Swansea is on the mental side.

"As I've said to the players, the days are gone where you just come in, get a sweat on for a couple of hours and go home," Monk said.

"You have to think about what you are asked to do.

"We ask them questions in training because if they are better thinkers in training, they will be better thinkers on the pitch.

"I wasn't the most talented player, but I was a good thinker. I saw things on the pitch and I told players what to do – mainly because I couldn't run there myself!

"It's hard getting the players to think more about the game, especially some of the British lads who haven't really worked like this before.

"But once they understand the reason why we're doing things, they are able to do it."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-training-like-Garry-Monk-re

Poll: Next signing

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 21:47 - Sep 19 with 525 viewsnantywatcher

Easy. ManU - Liverpool. zzzzzzzz
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 22:47 - Sep 19 with 487 viewsskippyjack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 20:24 - Sep 19 by Dr_Winston

Would you say that the lack of academic achievement typical in British footballers has a detrimental effect on that thinking?

The two go hand in hand for me.

Nope.. football is a passion.. if you take iniesta, Xavi, Messi.. Barcelona's academy.. Ajax academy.. Man United's.. football is drilled into them.. fans are more passionate about football than players these days.. it's a youth mentality in the modern era... it's missing the 80s mentality on the field.. success, media, status, online social sites.. grass roots taking a beating.. image is more important than football for some.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 01:56 - Sep 20 with 428 viewsDJack

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 12:46 - Sep 19 by Starsky

I'm.

Are you saying I was right, Starsky?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 01:57 - Sep 20 with 428 viewsScoobyWho

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 10:46 - Sep 19 by monmouth

I'd love to know what questions they ask JJS.

Coming soon. The Janet and Jonjo book on football thinking.

Monk ' Jon Jo run over there '
Jon Jo ' why '
Monk 'Because I've told the papers you would '
Jon Jo ' Papers? '
Monk 'Yeah, things you read,you know like books .... Er, sorry Jon Jo I forgot - just run over there '
Jon Jo ' Why '
And repeat.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 08:38 - Sep 20 with 359 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 22:47 - Sep 19 by skippyjack

Nope.. football is a passion.. if you take iniesta, Xavi, Messi.. Barcelona's academy.. Ajax academy.. Man United's.. football is drilled into them.. fans are more passionate about football than players these days.. it's a youth mentality in the modern era... it's missing the 80s mentality on the field.. success, media, status, online social sites.. grass roots taking a beating.. image is more important than football for some.

passion for learning yes you are correct.

its the quality and attitude to learn which sets other countries apart.

one good game and most brits think theyve made it

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 08:58 - Sep 20 with 352 viewsWarwickHunt

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 01:57 - Sep 20 by ScoobyWho

Monk ' Jon Jo run over there '
Jon Jo ' why '
Monk 'Because I've told the papers you would '
Jon Jo ' Papers? '
Monk 'Yeah, things you read,you know like books .... Er, sorry Jon Jo I forgot - just run over there '
Jon Jo ' Why '
And repeat.

Jonjo is one of the great thinkers of the modern game.

"I could play for England if I was picked."
Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 09:05 - Sep 20 with 341 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea City are training like never before, Garry Monk reveals on 21:38 - Sep 19 by C_jack

Iain Dowie has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

Imagine how bad he'd have been without it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024