Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gordon Brown 12:13 - Sep 19 with 3455 viewsCountyJim

What a politician and what a speaker the man on his own saved these Islands
Gordon Brown on 21:14 - Sep 19 with 854 viewswaynekerr55

Gordon Brown on 12:32 - Sep 19 by Uxbridge

Brown's record in office is nowhere near as bad as is made out. There's a more than decent economic case to be made that the problems would have been much worse if it wasn't for the actions he took in his last months in power, and the economy would have been stronger now if he had held power rather than the present Govt's aggressive austerity measures and inability to differentiate between household debt and sovereign debt.

His biggest problem was that he tried to be something that he isn't. If he'd embraced his dour Scottishness then he'd have had a chance of winning. That and he acted more than a bit of a dick.

Make no mistake though, if he hadn't been parachuted in at the last minute, Salmond could have won this. Gordon Brown saved the Union and Cameron should be on his knees thanking him in the way he learned at Eton.

Was that the actions he took or those of Alastair Darling

I find it hard to defend a man who ran a deficit during the boom years and sold gold off at generational lows

(ducks for cover)

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Gordon Brown on 21:33 - Sep 19 with 848 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 14:31 - Sep 19 by Uxbridge

Because a lot of Europe is a basket case, largely because of their rush to join a currency they were fundamentally unsuited to joining.

There's another thing we can thank Gordon Brown for not joining.

Anyone who thinks we were ever actually at risk of being like Greece has a fundamental lack of understanding of both economies and economics in general. Yes that means you Gideon.

Wasn't/isn't our deficit/national debt worse than several other countries, including a couple of the basket cases?
I can agree Brown kept us out of the Euro, despite pressure. But our economy was in a totally sh!t shape and our debt is still rising.
I don't see/hear many people sticking up for Browns record.

I think the final result showed the undecideds swung to no. Better the devil you know. Salmond has now resigned as first minister.

The game hasn't finished yet, not by a long way.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gordon Brown on 22:32 - Sep 19 with 828 viewsKilkennyjack

The demographics of the vote tells you that this is just the start. The future is YES. 100 per cent.

Beware of the Risen People

Gordon Brown on 23:08 - Sep 19 with 811 viewsUxbridge

Gordon Brown on 21:33 - Sep 19 by Catullus

Wasn't/isn't our deficit/national debt worse than several other countries, including a couple of the basket cases?
I can agree Brown kept us out of the Euro, despite pressure. But our economy was in a totally sh!t shape and our debt is still rising.
I don't see/hear many people sticking up for Browns record.

I think the final result showed the undecideds swung to no. Better the devil you know. Salmond has now resigned as first minister.

The game hasn't finished yet, not by a long way.

Debt may be bigger, but so is our GDP and our ability to pay it. The UK is utterly incomparable to Greece or Spain.

The UK economy over relies on the City. City gets a cold and we all get the flu.

Brown was a poor PM from a leadership perspective but as an economist I'd back him over most.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gordon Brown on 23:22 - Sep 19 with 800 viewslondonlisa2001

Gordon Brown on 22:32 - Sep 19 by Kilkennyjack

The demographics of the vote tells you that this is just the start. The future is YES. 100 per cent.

I simply don't understand this argument.

Are these the first ever group of 16 and 17 year olds who won't grow older and more conservative (small 'c' deliberate)?

Pretty much everyone is far more revolutionary at 16 than they are at 40. That doesn't mean that they will stay revolutionary any more than they will stay 16. Look at the split - the 16/17 year olds voted overwhelmingly for independence, but they won't when they get older any more than their parents and grandparents did yesterday.

On a practical note as well - who's to say that they will be given the chance again for many many years.
Gordon Brown on 23:33 - Sep 19 with 795 viewsperchrockjack

I ll save working it out Lisa.
It's misty eyed romantic crap.

Wales only just voted for an assembly and the result has been a glorification of Cardiff and fek the rest.

Scotland is split religiously and culturally, like Ireland really.

Lots in Glasgow want to be Irish anyway

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Gordon Brown on 23:38 - Sep 19 with 789 viewstrampie

Its the 25-40 year olds 'lisa' 16 and 17 year olds were said to be split.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 23:42]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Gordon Brown on 23:41 - Sep 19 with 781 viewsperchrockjack

The 16 and 17 yr olds would have been more interested in voting for Lorraine Kelly..

Trust me at 16 you know fook all..

At 60 too really

Login to get fewer ads

Gordon Brown on 23:51 - Sep 19 with 769 viewslondonlisa2001

Gordon Brown on 23:38 - Sep 19 by trampie

Its the 25-40 year olds 'lisa' 16 and 17 year olds were said to be split.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 23:42]

In the stats I saw 16-17 years olds were 71% yes. 18-24 year olds voted no (52% no).

That 71% had a huge impact. The flip side was the over 65s who overwhelmingly voted no (only 27% yes).

But the issue is that all those age groups move and their views change.

The biggest difference between no and yes is that the only places with a yes vote (Glasgow / Dundee and the other 2) have high unemployment and the highest proportion of low incomes. These are not people voting positively for a change towards something, they are voting for a negative change away from something.

And that is the difference going forward - as their circumstances improve (with a gradual improvement of the economy it would be unlikely to get worse than it has ben in the past few years) then their desire to move away from the status quo will decrease.

As a Welsh nationalist (I mean in general, rather than your vote - I have no idea) did you not find the utter contempt shown towards Wales by the SNP reprehensible?
Gordon Brown on 23:55 - Sep 19 with 765 viewsPhil_S

I spend a reasonable amount of time in Glasgow and the simple way many people I spoke to approached it was that their vote started as a no and it was up to the yes campaign to change that - for many that never happened

Of the Yes there was a reasonable number that I heard in various places saying they were voting yes purely to spite the English which made the vote closer than it probably was for people who thought it through using all their brain cells

It was of course the right decision and I knew I shouldn't have stocked up on Scottish notes on Thursday in the hope I could have made some money on currency exchange
Gordon Brown on 00:02 - Sep 20 with 757 viewstrampie

Gordon Brown on 23:51 - Sep 19 by londonlisa2001

In the stats I saw 16-17 years olds were 71% yes. 18-24 year olds voted no (52% no).

That 71% had a huge impact. The flip side was the over 65s who overwhelmingly voted no (only 27% yes).

But the issue is that all those age groups move and their views change.

The biggest difference between no and yes is that the only places with a yes vote (Glasgow / Dundee and the other 2) have high unemployment and the highest proportion of low incomes. These are not people voting positively for a change towards something, they are voting for a negative change away from something.

And that is the difference going forward - as their circumstances improve (with a gradual improvement of the economy it would be unlikely to get worse than it has ben in the past few years) then their desire to move away from the status quo will decrease.

As a Welsh nationalist (I mean in general, rather than your vote - I have no idea) did you not find the utter contempt shown towards Wales by the SNP reprehensible?

Im not a Welsh nationalist, I would vote for a federal state.

Two world cups and the home nations should tell you I have no agenda as regards Scotland.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Gordon Brown on 00:03 - Sep 20 with 753 viewsperchrockjack

Oh jeez.

I d rather we stick with the status quo although I d love our monarchy to end but accept it's never gonna happen ever

Gordon Brown on 00:04 - Sep 20 with 753 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Brown claimed to have abolished boom and bust repeatedly in his first few years as chancellor.

He must have known that he was spouting b******s.

His decision to give the Bank the decision over interest rates was a very good one though.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Gordon Brown on 00:04 - Sep 20 with 751 viewslondonlisa2001

Gordon Brown on 23:55 - Sep 19 by Phil_S

I spend a reasonable amount of time in Glasgow and the simple way many people I spoke to approached it was that their vote started as a no and it was up to the yes campaign to change that - for many that never happened

Of the Yes there was a reasonable number that I heard in various places saying they were voting yes purely to spite the English which made the vote closer than it probably was for people who thought it through using all their brain cells

It was of course the right decision and I knew I shouldn't have stocked up on Scottish notes on Thursday in the hope I could have made some money on currency exchange

at least you can be one of those boring sods that gives a Scottish fiver to the cashier in a shop with the words 'I think you'll find that's legal tender ' ....
Gordon Brown on 00:05 - Sep 20 with 747 viewsPhil_S

Gordon Brown on 00:04 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

at least you can be one of those boring sods that gives a Scottish fiver to the cashier in a shop with the words 'I think you'll find that's legal tender ' ....

People still do that? It's Clydesdale Bank ones that always raise the eyebrows they'd have real fun with those!
Gordon Brown on 00:07 - Sep 20 with 738 viewslondonlisa2001

Gordon Brown on 00:02 - Sep 20 by trampie

Im not a Welsh nationalist, I would vote for a federal state.

Two world cups and the home nations should tell you I have no agenda as regards Scotland.

apologies - I was basing my comment on your discussion the other day.

Anyway - I found their division of the UK into Scotland and England disrespectful and annoying. The BBC coverage was largely the same - thank God for Huw Edwards !
Gordon Brown on 07:58 - Sep 20 with 665 viewsmonmouth

Gordon Brown on 00:05 - Sep 20 by Phil_S

People still do that? It's Clydesdale Bank ones that always raise the eyebrows they'd have real fun with those!

Girl in Boots* Llanelli told me to F Off or she'd call the police in the mid 90s when I tried to pay with those mothers.

*the shop boots, not some random that I propositioned, although that always got the same result...

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Gordon Brown on 18:54 - Sep 20 with 616 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 23:08 - Sep 19 by Uxbridge

Debt may be bigger, but so is our GDP and our ability to pay it. The UK is utterly incomparable to Greece or Spain.

The UK economy over relies on the City. City gets a cold and we all get the flu.

Brown was a poor PM from a leadership perspective but as an economist I'd back him over most.

Despite his selling the gold cheap and costing us billions?
And as for our gdp meaning we can handle the repayments, if the rates go up we are struggling. And Brown left us with, at the time, a record debt. It is still rising despite the so called austerity. That is, in large part, down to the mess left behind by Labour.
Blair and Brown damn near ruined us. How can that be defended?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Gordon Brown on 19:06 - Sep 20 with 609 viewsfergusferret

Brown's record in office is nowhere near as bad as is made out. There's a more than decent economic case to be made that the problems would have been much worse if it wasn't for the actions he took in his last months in power, and the economy would have been stronger now if he had held power rather than the present Govt's aggressive austerity measures and inability to differentiate between household debt and sovereign debt.

His biggest problem was that he tried to be something that he isn't. If he'd embraced his dour Scottishness then he'd have had a chance of winning. That and he acted more than a bit of a dick.

Make no mistake though, if he hadn't been parachuted in at the last minute, Salmond could have won this. Gordon Brown saved the Union and Cameron should be on his knees thanking him in the way he learned at Eton.

was it not Brown who sold off the gold reserve when it was at an all time low and let the market know he was going to do it days before hand.
It was a no win for Scotland either way they still ended up under foreign control(European Union).
Gordon Brown on 19:27 - Sep 20 with 596 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 19:06 - Sep 20 by fergusferret

was it not Brown who sold off the gold reserve when it was at an all time low and let the market know he was going to do it days before hand.
It was a no win for Scotland either way they still ended up under foreign control(European Union).

A massive division has opened up north. Hard to say if it will heal.
Accusations of rigging/cheating. Noses being rubbed in it.
I don't think anybody won. It just started a big argument that will go on and on.
A lot of pro yes can't accept defeat. They seem to think another vote can happen soon. It won't!

Gordon Brown on 20:57 - Sep 20 with 575 viewsjackonicko

I'm sure you'll be massively surprised that i think that's a catalogue of absolute wrongness there, Andy.
Gordon Brown on 00:09 - Sep 21 with 561 viewscontroversial_jack

The media and big business scare tactics won the day, not Gordon Brown. Welcome to Corporate democracy
Gordon Brown on 21:38 - Sep 21 with 509 viewsUxbridge

Gordon Brown on 20:57 - Sep 20 by jackonicko

I'm sure you'll be massively surprised that i think that's a catalogue of absolute wrongness there, Andy.

I'd expect nothing else from Tory Boy

Gordon Brown on 21:40 - Sep 21 with 503 viewsUxbridge

Gordon Brown on 18:54 - Sep 20 by Catullus

Despite his selling the gold cheap and costing us billions?
And as for our gdp meaning we can handle the repayments, if the rates go up we are struggling. And Brown left us with, at the time, a record debt. It is still rising despite the so called austerity. That is, in large part, down to the mess left behind by Labour.
Blair and Brown damn near ruined us. How can that be defended?

Explain how they ruined the economy. Also explain what the Tories would have done differently.

This should be good.

Gordon Brown on 14:52 - Sep 22 with 452 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 21:40 - Sep 21 by Uxbridge

Explain how they ruined the economy. Also explain what the Tories would have done differently.

This should be good.

I didn't say ruined the economy, I said ruined us. The whole country was a much worse place after Blairs reign. He made the NHS and police target driven which badly affected performance, he took us into an illegal war that cost billions and the after effects will be with us for decades, he signed up the the Human rights act and his wife made a fortune out of it. he was the king of spin, a shallow, self serving toad who lied and lied and then made millions prostituting himself to dodgy paymasters.
And the deficit and debt they left behind is going to be with us for many a year yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024