Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gordon Brown 12:13 - Sep 19 with 3408 viewsCountyJim

What a politician and what a speaker the man on his own saved these Islands
Gordon Brown on 23:00 - Sep 22 with 755 viewsUxbridge

Gordon Brown on 14:52 - Sep 22 by Catullus

I didn't say ruined the economy, I said ruined us. The whole country was a much worse place after Blairs reign. He made the NHS and police target driven which badly affected performance, he took us into an illegal war that cost billions and the after effects will be with us for decades, he signed up the the Human rights act and his wife made a fortune out of it. he was the king of spin, a shallow, self serving toad who lied and lied and then made millions prostituting himself to dodgy paymasters.
And the deficit and debt they left behind is going to be with us for many a year yet.

Yes, Blair made some massive mistakes. Although not sure human rights is one of them. That seems strange. I despise spin however he hardly invented it. I'm no fan of Blair although his biography is a fascinating insight.

You can argue the debt one either way. In cash terms you are correct. In percentage terms to GDP you're incorrect. One thing I would agree with was the lack of preparation for a rainy day, although no umbrella could have protected us from the banking crisis given our fundamental reliance on the financial sector.

They did a lot right though, which is more than I can say about the current shower who are so inept they almost oversaw the very breakup of the Union.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gordon Brown on 23:02 - Sep 22 with 752 viewsDr_Winston

Gordon Brown on 22:32 - Sep 19 by Kilkennyjack

The demographics of the vote tells you that this is just the start. The future is YES. 100 per cent.

The demographics tell you that young people are a bit idealistic but eventually grow out of it. I was all for Plaid once. Then I matured and grasped reality. The same will happen in Scotland.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gordon Brown on 23:23 - Sep 22 with 745 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Nothing to do with Gordon Brown. The Yes voters were only ever narrowly ahead in one opinion poll they were always behind in the rest. I think the don't know voters were keeping quiet given the intimidation by the Yes camp.

On the day they voted NO.

Brown was only concerned about the loss of Labour seats if Scotland voted YES.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Gordon Brown on 11:37 - Sep 23 with 686 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 23:00 - Sep 22 by Uxbridge

Yes, Blair made some massive mistakes. Although not sure human rights is one of them. That seems strange. I despise spin however he hardly invented it. I'm no fan of Blair although his biography is a fascinating insight.

You can argue the debt one either way. In cash terms you are correct. In percentage terms to GDP you're incorrect. One thing I would agree with was the lack of preparation for a rainy day, although no umbrella could have protected us from the banking crisis given our fundamental reliance on the financial sector.

They did a lot right though, which is more than I can say about the current shower who are so inept they almost oversaw the very breakup of the Union.

I'm only wrong about the debt to deficit percentage, but then I didn't make a claim about that percentage did I? I don't remember. But they both will be with us for a long time.
The human rights act, in itself a good idea but it has been used by criminals to stay in this country, we have terrorists, rapists, paedophiles and murderers that we can't repatriate. That can't be right. No, Blair didn't invent spin, but he did it to death. As it turned out, he was all image and very little substance. And he fooled a lot of us for a long time.
Agree that no umbrella would have saved us, but it could have been less of a hit. The money we have spent (and lost) bailing the banks out is obscene, we should have let one of them go under to teach them a lesson and given the money to the depositors instead of straight into the bankers back pockets.
And saying Labour did a lot right, well, it's not right to me. They got more worng than right. Blair and Brown carried on with ptrivatisation, they damaged the NHS, Police, schools and society (with their grand social engineering, sometimes called the open door immigration policy) and when Brown left office what did he do? Did he stay in the commons serving his constituents, did he become a good mp? No he scuttled away. hardly spending any time at Westminster, making very few speeches and taking part in very few votes.
The one thing of note he has done, is to speak up about the independence vote. And as someone pointed out, the undecided may just have been keeping quite, worrying about bullying but were always voting no. We'll never know that for sure though.
Brown claimed no more boom and bust, just before the big boom and bust that cost thousands their homes and thousands lost money in the banks too, apart from the bankers!
He's not the great economist you think.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gordon Brown on 14:00 - Sep 23 with 664 viewsjackonicko

Gordon Brown on 11:37 - Sep 23 by Catullus

I'm only wrong about the debt to deficit percentage, but then I didn't make a claim about that percentage did I? I don't remember. But they both will be with us for a long time.
The human rights act, in itself a good idea but it has been used by criminals to stay in this country, we have terrorists, rapists, paedophiles and murderers that we can't repatriate. That can't be right. No, Blair didn't invent spin, but he did it to death. As it turned out, he was all image and very little substance. And he fooled a lot of us for a long time.
Agree that no umbrella would have saved us, but it could have been less of a hit. The money we have spent (and lost) bailing the banks out is obscene, we should have let one of them go under to teach them a lesson and given the money to the depositors instead of straight into the bankers back pockets.
And saying Labour did a lot right, well, it's not right to me. They got more worng than right. Blair and Brown carried on with ptrivatisation, they damaged the NHS, Police, schools and society (with their grand social engineering, sometimes called the open door immigration policy) and when Brown left office what did he do? Did he stay in the commons serving his constituents, did he become a good mp? No he scuttled away. hardly spending any time at Westminster, making very few speeches and taking part in very few votes.
The one thing of note he has done, is to speak up about the independence vote. And as someone pointed out, the undecided may just have been keeping quite, worrying about bullying but were always voting no. We'll never know that for sure though.
Brown claimed no more boom and bust, just before the big boom and bust that cost thousands their homes and thousands lost money in the banks too, apart from the bankers!

Moral hazard over banking (ie letting one fail) is a thorny topic, but I largely agree with you. Unfortunately our great saviour, Gordon Brown, who singlehandedly saved the world also presided over the first bank run in the UK in 150+ years - the Northern Rock debacle. And unfortunately, his handling of that set the tone for later.

I have the benefit of hindsight of course, as you could argue with the gold sale shambles years earlier- although I called that as bloody stupid at the time too. Also, you could say with the benefit of hindsight you could say that GB created the huge pension deficit issue we now face in the UK, although equally I called the revised treatment of the dividend tax credit as bloody stupid at that time as well.

So, actually, no, he doesn't get credit for not having the benefit of hindsight. On core economic issues, our great saviour got it wrong. And now we pay the price.
Gordon Brown on 14:51 - Sep 23 with 650 viewsUxbridge

Gordon Brown on 11:37 - Sep 23 by Catullus

Are we talking about economics or not? I'm quite happy not to to be honest. I'm no fan of NuLabour, particularly Blair, but there's never any balance to the debate. That's all.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Gordon Brown on 17:25 - Sep 23 with 620 viewsCatullus

Gordon Brown on 14:51 - Sep 23 by Uxbridge

Are we talking about economics or not? I'm quite happy not to to be honest. I'm no fan of NuLabour, particularly Blair, but there's never any balance to the debate. That's all.

I'm talking about all of it, but claiming brown is a great economist is a stretch.

The gold sale, the run on the banks, the deficit, the debt, pensions (pensions particularly irk me, royal mails pension scheme went from being well funded to billions in the red because of Brown) it all stacks up against him.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024