Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
American owners 20:58 - Sep 25 with 30787 viewswestx

Any truth in the rumours that we are about to be sold to some Americans?

Poll: Would you welcome new owners if the deal was right?

American owners on 11:13 - Oct 1 with 2382 viewshammy

American owners on 08:31 - Oct 1 by Darran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-city-sale-club-hold-talks-Russia

Interesting and something that the board need to review on a regular basis. As long as any investment is to the benefit of the of the club on a long-term basis then should be a win-win situation.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

American owners on 11:16 - Oct 1 with 2368 viewsUxbridge

American owners on 11:12 - Oct 1 by Watchman

Hope your right Ux

For once, I am . No deal happens without our supporter director being involved in the initial discussions in the first instance and then further involvement if anything concrete actually happens and there's a decision for the Trust to make.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

American owners on 12:38 - Oct 1 with 2185 viewsjacabertawe

Further clarification

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29441738

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

American owners on 12:55 - Oct 1 with 2136 viewsDewi1jack

Fair play to all who've posted here.
Good points, well made, with no abuse

I have some questions on some of the posts.
Are the trust allowed to sell, without the majority of its' members saying yes?
Are the majority of members/ trust shareholders even likely to say yes?
I seem to understand that the trust, by its very nature is a charity. Are there special rules which allow it to sell, or does that change the trusts tax and trading status?
Will some of the minority shareholders keep their shares, purely to say "i'm a shareholder in a PL club?"
Love the variables in this game, but I know very little about share dealing, so will watch the people on here who do.

Personally, I can't see any investor not wanting a stake/ control over their investment, so someone IMO, is willing to part with their shares.
As much as we don't want to see it happen, if someone is offered millions for something that cost them thousands, it is human nature to accept, especially if it means your family is taken care of.
Probably very few of us that would walk away from a deal like that, even being "Swansea 'till we die" fans.
Everything/ everyone has a price, for nearly anything

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

American owners on 13:30 - Oct 1 with 2048 viewsJonnyTheJack

Well there's not many wealthier places in America than San Francisco, where Leigh Dineen has been for a week.
American owners on 14:22 - Oct 1 with 1972 viewsJJJack

Couple of points;
1) There will come a point , individually or collectively, where the non-Trust shareholders will need to consider selling. There is not necessarily a "life-commitment" made by any of them, least not that I'm aware of. People need to be realistic here....they cannot just go on for ever.
2) Also, IF they sold their holdings now, they would probably be thinking that this would be of benefit to the Club longer-term.....so why not do it? Which leads me to the final point....
3) As shareholders/the people who "run" the club, they are duty bound to consider any potential investors....and arguably go a stage further and actively encourage such investment. If they didn't they'd be effectively negligent in their duties. Doesn;t automatically transpire that they are are egomaniacs or money-grabbing. Presumably they simply believe such investment is essential longer-term because at present, we are somewhat punching above our weight and that can't/won't continue for ever.
American owners on 14:37 - Oct 1 with 1937 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

American owners on 12:58 - Sep 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yes commercial reasons, as in maybe some new sponsorship deals etc.

No one thought we were there to attract a new owner / parties interested in purchasing a stake in the club.

Anyway I won't believe these rumours until Huw comes out and denies it in the Evening Post.

There we go.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

American owners on 14:39 - Oct 1 with 1933 viewsMrSwerve

IF the club find someone who will invest and not affect the day-to-day running, then it's a no brainer.

With a bit more investment we can push onto the top 6.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

American owners on 14:42 - Oct 1 with 1908 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

American owners on 14:39 - Oct 1 by MrSwerve

IF the club find someone who will invest and not affect the day-to-day running, then it's a no brainer.

With a bit more investment we can push onto the top 6.

So who out of the following are we going to displace with a bit more investment?

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham?

Dear me.

American owners on 14:53 - Oct 1 with 1887 viewsNeathJack

American owners on 14:42 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

So who out of the following are we going to displace with a bit more investment?

Dear me.

Manchester United finished 7th last year so they were pushed out.
American owners on 14:54 - Oct 1 with 1875 viewsMrSwerve

American owners on 14:42 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Dear me.

I said we can 'push onto' them, not replace. We may be able to compete with them.

And as NeathJack said, your beloved United were 7th last season.

American owners on 15:05 - Oct 1 with 1843 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

American owners on 14:54 - Oct 1 by MrSwerve

I said we can 'push onto' them, not replace. We may be able to compete with them.

And as NeathJack said, your beloved United were 7th last season.

Thinking we can compete with any club in the top 6 is delirious.

You can make quick jibes at Manchester United all you want, people will be laughing at your comment saying we may be able to compete with those 6 clubs rather than your Manchester United comments.

American owners on 16:00 - Oct 1 with 1754 viewswhiterock

American owners on 15:05 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You can make quick jibes at Manchester United all you want, people will be laughing at your comment saying we may be able to compete with those 6 clubs rather than your Manchester United comments.

We can do better than most, when did Everton/Spurs/Arsenal last win a trophy last.

OK I know what your saying but we've got to believe, its that belief that got us to the PL when thousands said we wern't ready and others said enjoy it as it may only be one season

Top 10 and a cup ever 3 years would be a massive acheivement
American owners on 16:06 - Oct 1 with 1743 viewsMrSwerve

Last season Tottenham and Everton (who we could be likened to if we received a lot of investment) both finished above United (one of your top 6). Southampton finished just 8 points off them.

Newcastle finished 4 points off 4th a few years back. Villa finished 6th a few years back. We're only talking 3-5 seasons ago now. With investment we could potentially manage to do this for at least 1 or 2 seasons. Of course we'll never break into the top 4 foreseeable future, mentioning City, Chelsea etc is irrelevant. I'm talking about the tail end of top 6...the Everton/Spurs/Newcastle/Villas of the World. Look where Newcastle and Villa are now?

I don't care about Manchester United particularly, NeathJack just used them as an example of 'big' teams dropping out of the top 6. It could happen to any of them, so let's be ready to take their place should it happen.

Just because it's difficult to achieve doesn't mean we should give up. I honestly don't care if people laugh at my comments, this message board means nothing to me, unlike it does to some.

American owners on 16:22 - Oct 1 with 1712 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

American owners on 16:06 - Oct 1 by MrSwerve

Last season Tottenham and Everton (who we could be likened to if we received a lot of investment) both finished above United (one of your top 6). Southampton finished just 8 points off them.

Newcastle finished 4 points off 4th a few years back. Villa finished 6th a few years back. We're only talking 3-5 seasons ago now. With investment we could potentially manage to do this for at least 1 or 2 seasons. Of course we'll never break into the top 4 foreseeable future, mentioning City, Chelsea etc is irrelevant. I'm talking about the tail end of top 6...the Everton/Spurs/Newcastle/Villas of the World. Look where Newcastle and Villa are now?

I don't care about Manchester United particularly, NeathJack just used them as an example of 'big' teams dropping out of the top 6. It could happen to any of them, so let's be ready to take their place should it happen.

Just because it's difficult to achieve doesn't mean we should give up. I honestly don't care if people laugh at my comments, this message board means nothing to me, unlike it does to some.

I arguably have some of the highest minimum aims for this season when I stated that anything below 11th is a poor season.

I just think that pushing for a top 6 finish, even a top 8 is beyond us.

We may have one fluke season where we attain it but it would be just that - a fluke.

We are not currently and likely never will be competing with the big 6 each season.

We could have £200m given to us this Summer and we'd struggle to break the top 8 for one season, let alone season after season.

American owners on 16:44 - Oct 1 with 1672 viewsWatchman

American owners on 16:22 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I arguably have some of the highest minimum aims for this season when I stated that anything below 11th is a poor season.

We may have one fluke season where we attain it but it would be just that - a fluke.

We are not currently and likely never will be competing with the big 6 each season.

We could have £200m given to us this Summer and we'd struggle to break the top 8 for one season, let alone season after season.

That attitude cost Laudrup his job!

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

American owners on 16:58 - Oct 1 with 1635 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

American owners on 16:44 - Oct 1 by Watchman

That attitude cost Laudrup his job!

No, thinking we couldn't get a couple of results against them each season is rumoured to be part of the reason why he lost his job.

Laudrup didn't lose his job for not thinking we could challenge Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs for the 4th Champions League spot.

There's a difference between picking up points against them in the league and challenging them in the league for a top 6 finish.

American owners on 17:01 - Oct 1 with 1631 viewsSweyns_Eye

We can and must aim to be competitive with the top 6.

Easier said than done I know but if we're only here to just make up the numbers, whats the point? Finishing at least 17th every season to guarantee staying in the Premier League Money Pot? Oooh that would be exciting.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

American owners on 17:22 - Oct 1 with 1594 viewspierre91

.......the whole point of running our Club successfully nowadays is dependent more and more each year on the finance we can generate.

Call me naive if you like but my reading of Huw Jenkins's statements with regard to further finance has leaned towards that - namely,we need extra finance to compete successfully.

Whilst I am generally supportive of this mindset I am regularly reminded by various bloggers/posters/fans that we've been a little bit tardy in employing within the Club some genuinely pertinent people who could take us along that road. I've read many posts on here that ask why we haven't yet employed a person as MD (or close) who could take us down that route. I agree.

So, my reading of HJ's suggestion that we need more investment to take us further is coloured by the fact that if I'd been in his shoes I'd have looked for an internal appointment to take us further.

Please don't get me wrong - my absolute abhorrence of some kind of "sugar-daddy" remains resolute - we need a Vincent Tan (they're all NOT Sheik Mansour) as much as we need a hole in the head.

My ultimate wish is that we capitalise on the the USA market (where we seem to have a decent and growing brand/frame ) and continue the steady growth we've shown decently over the last 10 years.

On that basis, it seems to me, we might have at least another 10yrs of progress to report.
American owners on 17:47 - Oct 1 with 1537 viewsWatchman

American owners on 16:58 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

No, thinking we couldn't get a couple of results against them each season is rumoured to be part of the reason why he lost his job.

Laudrup didn't lose his job for not thinking we could challenge Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs for the 4th Champions League spot.

There's a difference between picking up points against them in the league and challenging them in the league for a top 6 finish.

We are in 3 of the same competitions as 19 other clubs therefore we compete with them!

Full stop ! sorry for you being wrong the consciousness of competition is in the mind not in the balance sheet

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

American owners on 17:52 - Oct 1 with 1525 viewslondonlisa2001

American owners on 16:22 - Oct 1 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I agree that breaking into the 'next section' of the league appears a remote possibility - one of the reasons I am sceptical of all this talk is the amount needed to really take us up a notch and the lack of serious return on any investment unless that move 'up' happens.

However, I would say this - looking back ten years, the notion then of us becoming a relatively established PL team was a lot further away than the top 6 or 7 is to where we are now, so you can't really justify saying that it is likely to never happen. We just don't know. We are, in reality, on the field at least, not that far away from the likes of Everton.
American owners on 18:14 - Oct 1 with 1469 viewsMoscowJack

Was it Charlton or Bolton fans who were, not that long ago, saying the same thing about taking the next step up?

If we're looking to sell a % to investors capable of bring in huge sums of sponsorship, commercial revenue, etc then that's good. Would it dilute the Trust's share though? If so, that could be a slippery slope to disaster.

If the additional revenue helps us become a club, maybe like Stoke City now or possibly even Everton, that (on paper) SHOULD be safe from relegation every season, we won't keep HAVING to punch far above our weight to stay in this League. We won't have to sell a major player every season or two just to balance the books as eventually we'll slip up and go down. The problem is, will that investment dilute the Trust's share of the club?

As you can see, the way this can go can easily be one step towards the Trust going from 21%, to 15%, then 10%...etc etc. Is this a one-off investment opportunity, or the first of many.

Selling a certain % would satisfy many, including any Directors desperate to cash-in at what MIGHT be the top of the market. They might not sell all of their shares, but could get a few million (LD, BK & JvZ) and also not risk the wrath of the fans at the same time. Win-win.

The only issue I have, as I said above, is whether this is the first step or the last step. If the Trust (ie the fans) can be guaranteed that it's the last step, then that's ok by me. If it's not, we need to be worried.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

American owners on 18:17 - Oct 1 with 1461 viewsymaohyd

This whole debate is a fascinating one.

Where exactly do we go from here as a club?

Many, including myself would suggest that we have reached the end of the road so to speak in terms of what we can achieve. Maybe the odd FA Cup final success which would obviously be huge. Beyond that an annual battle with the pundits predicting that this year could be the year that we go down.

Although we are a well run club we will always be one of, if not the smallest club in the Premier League, along with that will always go the dark clouds of possible relegation. So far though, with relative ease we have staved that prospect off.

So, training facilities, tick, 1st team facilities tick, youth structure, getting there. What else do we all want?

When you look at the history of the world (getting deep and meaningful now), but it really is incredible how short a history the game of football has, Notts County, what 1860's? compared to world affairs...160 years or so and that's when football was in its very infancy.

The reason I highlight the relative short history of football is that people quite often speculate in the negative, that things will never happen. I remember my elder, wiser! brother almost telling me off for dreaming back in our last season at the Vetch and looking at the new Liberty being developed that we could get to the Prem. In his Hansen-esq you don't win anything with kids moment...The Swans will never get to the Premier league..never!

Look at us now?!

What's to say that in a 100 years the Swans can't be at the very forefront of European football...you can always dream.

To achieve that though as the speculation grows with regards to investment you need money.

Personally I'd keep things the way they are. In an ideal world I'd rename the stadium for a fortune and redevelop it with naming rights. If that weren't possible I'd leave things the way they are.

Apart from naming rights why would an investor invest? To gain control. Do I want a foreign owner..no.

I want a structure that the club will always remain in local ownership. If that means relegation, so be it. A club like Man City, with until recently an underperforming history can challenge the status quo and change the dynamics of English football. I don't see us in that category.

In our own way we already have, but to challenge at the very top..no.

But for the dreamers and believers out there..good on you.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

American owners on 18:28 - Oct 1 with 1431 viewsOldjack

it depends on how much money we get ,if it's anything like Man C receive then why not

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

American owners on 18:42 - Oct 1 with 1404 viewshammy

American owners on 18:17 - Oct 1 by ymaohyd

This whole debate is a fascinating one.

Where exactly do we go from here as a club?

Many, including myself would suggest that we have reached the end of the road so to speak in terms of what we can achieve. Maybe the odd FA Cup final success which would obviously be huge. Beyond that an annual battle with the pundits predicting that this year could be the year that we go down.

Although we are a well run club we will always be one of, if not the smallest club in the Premier League, along with that will always go the dark clouds of possible relegation. So far though, with relative ease we have staved that prospect off.

So, training facilities, tick, 1st team facilities tick, youth structure, getting there. What else do we all want?

When you look at the history of the world (getting deep and meaningful now), but it really is incredible how short a history the game of football has, Notts County, what 1860's? compared to world affairs...160 years or so and that's when football was in its very infancy.

The reason I highlight the relative short history of football is that people quite often speculate in the negative, that things will never happen. I remember my elder, wiser! brother almost telling me off for dreaming back in our last season at the Vetch and looking at the new Liberty being developed that we could get to the Prem. In his Hansen-esq you don't win anything with kids moment...The Swans will never get to the Premier league..never!

Look at us now?!

What's to say that in a 100 years the Swans can't be at the very forefront of European football...you can always dream.

To achieve that though as the speculation grows with regards to investment you need money.

Personally I'd keep things the way they are. In an ideal world I'd rename the stadium for a fortune and redevelop it with naming rights. If that weren't possible I'd leave things the way they are.

Apart from naming rights why would an investor invest? To gain control. Do I want a foreign owner..no.

I want a structure that the club will always remain in local ownership. If that means relegation, so be it. A club like Man City, with until recently an underperforming history can challenge the status quo and change the dynamics of English football. I don't see us in that category.

In our own way we already have, but to challenge at the very top..no.

But for the dreamers and believers out there..good on you.

Do you always argue with yourself ;)

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024