Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart Tv / XBMC box 09:38 - Sep 29 with 994 viewsepaul

Finally gone and bought a TV, however as it's a smart one is it worth buying one of those xbmc thingy boxes as the tv is loaded with all the usual and has a web browser

Many thanks in advance geeks!

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 10:40 - Sep 29 with 964 viewsJackoBoostardo

Absolutely.... In a nutshell.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 18:26 - Sep 30 with 859 viewsjack_lord

I have XBMC on laptop and it is great and if you have a fast solid broadband I reckon that it would be great.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 20:16 - Sep 30 with 820 viewsepaul

Cheers JB and jase, think I'll get one, does it matter what type, model etc?

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 10:41 - Oct 1 with 752 viewsouttolunch

Where can you get this XBMC from ?
Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:38 - Oct 1 with 711 viewsSwanzay

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 10:41 - Oct 1 by outtolunch

Where can you get this XBMC from ?

http://xbmc.org/download/
Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:39 - Oct 1 with 709 viewsSwanzay

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 20:16 - Sep 30 by epaul

Just get one that has good processing speed (quad core) and preferably preloaded with Mashup, Navi X etc
Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:45 - Oct 1 with 701 viewsJackoBoostardo

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 20:16 - Sep 30 by epaul

Try and get a quad core if you can as this more or less futureproofs it for the foreseeable. However, a dual core is fine.

Definitely go here for your equipment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/truckers_gps?_trksid=p20

The software on the box is developed by these guys, and its the only one eligible for over-the-air updates. The others are not so great with this, and so you have to go through a manual slog of updating everything when a new version of the software is released.

Enjoy man - definitely worth it!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:50 - Oct 1 with 694 viewsUxbridge

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:45 - Oct 1 by JackoBoostardo

Try and get a quad core if you can as this more or less futureproofs it for the foreseeable. However, a dual core is fine.

Definitely go here for your equipment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/truckers_gps?_trksid=p20

The software on the box is developed by these guys, and its the only one eligible for over-the-air updates. The others are not so great with this, and so you have to go through a manual slog of updating everything when a new version of the software is released.

Enjoy man - definitely worth it!

Given that XBMC and plugins self-update if that's in your settings, what's special about their OTA update? Genuine question. To be honest I find half the fun tweaking things to get them as I want them but can see how ready built boxes are better for others.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Login to get fewer ads

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 14:10 - Oct 1 with 679 viewsJackoBoostardo

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 13:50 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

Given that XBMC and plugins self-update if that's in your settings, what's special about their OTA update? Genuine question. To be honest I find half the fun tweaking things to get them as I want them but can see how ready built boxes are better for others.

The main environment as well as Android OTA and the built in apps will be automatically updated. At the moment mine is on a windows 8 like feel (multi-coloured boxes). You can turn on and off this setting though and go straight to XBMC.

Truckers_GPS and Jumping Frogs are the best to get these boxes from - they also have good quality support too, should anything go wrong. Additionally, boxes come pre-installed with a built in recovery - should you need to do a full reset. Once recovery starts - it will install everything to get you back up and running - instead of having to download everything yourself again.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 14:21]

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 15:28 - Oct 1 with 651 viewsUxbridge

Ah so they're custom firmwares with skins and preloaded apps. The OTA thing's a bit of a red-herring really as that's all standard with Android anyway. Anyway, good stuff, I'll take a look.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 16:01 - Oct 1 with 628 viewsElward

I've given up using my xbmc after a few days. I dunno if it's just me or something im doing wrong but i've lost count the amount of times i've clicked on something and get a message pop up "one or more items failed to load"
Smart Tv / XBMC box on 19:41 - Oct 1 with 569 viewsSwanzay

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 16:01 - Oct 1 by Elward

I've given up using my xbmc after a few days. I dunno if it's just me or something im doing wrong but i've lost count the amount of times i've clicked on something and get a message pop up "one or more items failed to load"

You need to get a VPN such as http://www.earthvpn.com, as the links get blocked in the UK
Smart Tv / XBMC box on 20:51 - Oct 1 with 548 viewsJackoBoostardo

Smart Tv / XBMC box on 15:28 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

Ah so they're custom firmwares with skins and preloaded apps. The OTA thing's a bit of a red-herring really as that's all standard with Android anyway. Anyway, good stuff, I'll take a look.

No it's not a standard thing. Each manafacturer of mobiles/tablets etc, have to release the newest version of Android themselves for their own devices. Samsung, Sony, HTC... once they receive the latest update from Google Labs, they add their own bits and then send this as an update OTA to compatible devices.

There's no such timetable on these devices, and so you're possibly left with a device that will never be updated again. Truckers_gps though tend to release worthwhile android updates when available through OTA.

I've had several tablets that are powerful and not received Android 4.1 yet - because the manufacturers haven't released the OTA.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024