Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Broadband thread 16:29 - Sep 30 with 4402 viewsUxbridge

My BT deal has just run out so looking at switching broadband providers. Toying with the idea of getting the top end Virgin deal but annoyed to see they still want you to have a line rental with them. Who on earth still uses their home phone?

Anyway, any recommendations, horror stories etc?

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Broadband thread on 16:45 - Sep 30 with 4378 viewsWarwickHunt

I think they all stiff you on the phone line rental.

Virgin's great when it works. Had endless "noise on the line" network problems lately but kicked up a fuss (complain every time - even for a five minute loss of broadband , it all gets logged) and ended up with £80 credit over two months. Threaten to leave and they bend over backwards to keep you.

Tivo is excellent, fair play.
The Broadband thread on 16:49 - Sep 30 with 4377 viewsfbreath

I am with Plusnet. Have been waiting nearly 3 months for my broadband to be upgraded to FTTC. But this is not down to them but BT Openreach as when they went to install at on first visit they found capacity issue at the cabinet. Plus net have agreed to discuss financial compensation once sorted so will be expecting around £70 back. They have also credited me 2 months broadband as a good will gesture.

I did a deal with them of £131.88 up front for 12 months line rental based on the fact I won't be making any calls on it. Their £15.99 line rental included calls after 6pm etc. You have to have a line for the broadband otherwise I wouldn't have one either.

They offer freephone tech support though you sometimes have to wait a while to be answered because its free call.

Overall can't complain

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

The Broadband thread on 18:07 - Sep 30 with 4310 viewsPrivate_Partz

Surely if a family of 3 purely use their mobiles then there is £90 smackers down the swanny at least. I get unlimited home calls and an acceptable broadband ( for my use) for £29 for a year from Plusnet. Goes up by 10 quid next year and then I go looking for a new provider. Mobile at about 18 quid for me and PAYG for er indoors is till cheaper in my book but open to correction.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 18:08]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Broadband thread on 09:25 - Oct 1 with 4231 viewsUxbridge

The Broadband thread on 16:45 - Sep 30 by WarwickHunt

I think they all stiff you on the phone line rental.

Virgin's great when it works. Had endless "noise on the line" network problems lately but kicked up a fuss (complain every time - even for a five minute loss of broadband , it all gets logged) and ended up with £80 credit over two months. Threaten to leave and they bend over backwards to keep you.

Tivo is excellent, fair play.

It's looking that way.

I think I might just stick to BT for a while. No complaints about the broadband and they patched up my line when we had problems with high winds last spring.

The Broadband thread on 10:46 - Oct 1 with 4198 viewsSwanseajill

The Broadband thread on 09:25 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

It's looking that way.

I think I might just stick to BT for a while. No complaints about the broadband and they patched up my line when we had problems with high winds last spring.

Your next door neighbour used Virgin for years! an excellent service and at reasonable cost for what you receive in the package.
On moving house where Virgin is unavailable, has brought misery dealing with BT.
The worse company to deal with...ever. The worse helpline, phone calls costly.

The last complaint I made was that free evening weekend calls delivered me all of 14 phone calls limit....per month.
Broadband SF needs rebooting every time it's used. My last phone call to them ended when I said...I give up!!!
The Broadband thread on 11:11 - Oct 1 with 4176 viewsWatchman

The Broadband thread on 10:46 - Oct 1 by Swanseajill

Your next door neighbour used Virgin for years! an excellent service and at reasonable cost for what you receive in the package.
On moving house where Virgin is unavailable, has brought misery dealing with BT.

The last complaint I made was that free evening weekend calls delivered me all of 14 phone calls limit....per month.
Broadband SF needs rebooting every time it's used. My last phone call to them ended when I said...I give up!!!

Hope your ok Lorr

I am with BT(Fibre) have to say brilliant 80/20 speeds and can sometimes get up to 152 if I use my phone through wifi. The BT engineer said to me when installing is that if you live within 1k of a street cabinet then go fibre if you are outside 1k even if it meant by one doorway then go broadband with BT due to infrastructure

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

The Broadband thread on 11:13 - Oct 1 with 4171 viewsUxbridge

The Broadband thread on 10:46 - Oct 1 by Swanseajill

Well if you will move and inflict bassey neighbours on me. No sympathy.

I think I might have accidentally removed something from the Virgin box in a fit of DIY. Easily fixable I'm sure but I'll need someone who knows what they're doing for that.

The Broadband thread on 12:57 - Oct 1 with 4125 viewsnavyjack

The Broadband thread on 09:25 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

It's looking that way.

the fact that you are the end of your contract puts you in a strong position to negotiate on price. get some competitors prices and phone BT up to say that although you are happy with the service, there is a problem with price and you are thinking of leaving. the 'customer retention' department will usually match or beat other quotes. I got my bill cut by a third. dont just renew and pay the same. good luck...
Login to get fewer ads

The Broadband thread on 16:02 - Oct 1 with 4084 viewsSwanseajill

The Broadband thread on 11:11 - Oct 1 by Watchman

Hope your ok Lorr

I am with BT(Fibre) have to say brilliant 80/20 speeds and can sometimes get up to 152 if I use my phone through wifi. The BT engineer said to me when installing is that if you live within 1k of a street cabinet then go fibre if you are outside 1k even if it meant by one doorway then go broadband with BT due to infrastructure

Hi Watch, Your first question? It'll never be better, you just get better at dealing with it.

Apparently, here I'm at the end of the line and furthest from the Exchange ( or whatever it's called)
I'm so fed up with complaining, and never realised how well off we were with cable.

Hope you, and yours are all in fine fettle.
The Broadband thread on 16:08 - Oct 1 with 4080 viewsSwanseajill

The Broadband thread on 11:13 - Oct 1 by Uxbridge

Well if you will move and inflict bassey neighbours on me. No sympathy.

I think I might have accidentally removed something from the Virgin box in a fit of DIY. Easily fixable I'm sure but I'll need someone who knows what they're doing for that.

The bit from the V box?

It'll be in one of those umpteen boxes oF cables and thingamajigs that you have.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024